Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So is this going to make three weeks without a Hickman book? :(

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

To be fair, if it hadn't been Hickman, someone else would have by now. Especially with the push they are giving Inhumans now.

Black Bolt also "died" in the most easy to come back way possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What? Where'd he die?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SynthOrange posted:

What? Where'd he die?

Fighting Thanos during infinity wasn't it? Like in the most off panel death possible so you just knew.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You mean the terrigen bomb thing? I could have sworn he returned in Infinity in the shadows in a 'Now everyone thinks I'm dead!' kinda way.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
I'm think he's referring to War of Kings. Hickman brought Black Bolt back in his FF run.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Thurm posted:

I'm think he's referring to War of Kings. Hickman brought Black Bolt back in his FF run.

I totally forgot about that crapfest so yeah maybe that's what he's referring to.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yeah it was the ending to War of Kings, where Vulcan and Black Bolt fight to the death on board a Galaxy busting super bomb, which exploded so hard it tore a hole in reality.

Hickman's explanation was just "I The Kree decided they needed him back. So a failsafe device/prophecy brought him back. Or something."

Personally I had hoped that they could have just done the Megatron/Ratchet storyline with Vulcan/Black Bolt.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This week is going go be good...last few weeks were just very...bare.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 27, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I started reading Avengers during Infinity. I'm incredibly sad that this amazing 3ish year run is coming to an end tomorrow. I will give the All New Avengers a try but after the epicness of A/NA I think it's going to have a hard time measuring up.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
We still have Secret Wars - the main 8-issue series is the real finale to Hickman's opus, I imagine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Psych, it turns out the real finale is the end of Hickman's SHIELD book which is apparently still happening?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On the other side of the spectrum, I reread Hickman's Avengers stuff recently and it really floored me just how completely unenjoyable his early issues were to me, even with the benefit of hindsight and the knowledge of where it would all lead.

[Issue begins]
[Some mysterious unexplainable cosmic event occurs]
[The entire roster of 20+ Avengers are completely unprepared for the event and abjectly fail in their attempts to prevent or understand the event]
[Issue ends]
[Repeat for twelve or thirteen issues]

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I started reading Avengers during Infinity. I'm incredibly sad that this amazing 3ish year run is coming to an end tomorrow. I will give the All New Avengers a try but after the epicness of A/NA I think it's going to have a hard time measuring up.

Mark Waid is a good writer and he's using some great new characters so it should be very good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Mark Waid is a good writer and he's using some great new characters so it should be very good.

Plus it'll be nice to have some smaller scale, character stories to come down from all the universe-ending hooplahs. Kind of like the in same vein of Fraction's FF.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

Plus it'll be nice to have some smaller scale, character stories to come down from all the universe-ending hooplahs. Kind of like the in same vein of Fraction's FF.

Yeah. I love Hickman's run, but I'm ready to see stories more focused on the characters and threats that aren't universal.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Psych, it turns out the real finale is the end of Hickman's SHIELD book which is apparently still happening?

The world can finally read the end of Hickman-vengers along with the end of the Song of Ice and Fire series, then go relax and play Half-Life 3.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Gaz-L posted:

Nick Lowe said they were hopeful to have it out in September to coincide with the S.H.I.E.L.D 50th anniversary.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I'm really excited about the cast but it will be a very different book that's for drat sure

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah. I love Hickman's run, but I'm ready to see stories more focused on the characters and threats that aren't universal.

Hickman's run was just what I wanted after bendis. I got really tired of Bendis's smaller scale and threats, so having the avengers deal with this immense threat has been fantastic. Hickman also hasn't worn out his welcome.

I'm looking forward to Waid having a smaller approach. I wouldn't mind something more in the middle of the two extremes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I kind of want either the FCBD issue or the first real issue to be the younger members of the team running around the tower or mansion freaking out about actually being on the team. Maybe cool uncle Vision rolling his eyes and chuckling from time to time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Skeematic posted:

Nick Lowe said they were hopeful to have it out in September to coincide with the S.H.I.E.L.D 50th anniversary.

Refresh my memory, S.H.I.E.L.D. started in 1973, right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I kind of want either the FCBD issue or the first real issue to be the younger members of the team running around the tower or mansion freaking out about actually being on the team. Maybe cool uncle Vision rolling his eyes and chuckling from time to time.

Well in reality the first arc should be the team coming to terms with the end of reality and the death of almost everyone they know.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

Refresh my memory, S.H.I.E.L.D. started in 1973, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well in reality the first arc should be the team coming to terms with the end of reality and the death of almost everyone they know.

Yes, because that's going to be the status quo after Secret Wars. :rolleyes:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We already did Chaos War.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, because that's going to be the status quo after Secret Wars. :rolleyes:

I know it won't but I'm loving dying to see how this run ends and introduces Secret Wars. I woke up today thinking it was Wednesday and I was so excited for more Hickman but nope I have to wait some more :smith:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was joking that it will be years before we get the next issue of SHIELD. (I've been waiting so long.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IUG posted:

I was joking that it will be years before we get the next issue of SHIELD. (I've been waiting so long.)

Good news, the next issue's out tomorrow! :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
:supaburn: I have the issues IN HAND. :supaburn:

I'm goin' in!

edit: I will not say a word until later tomorrow, pinky-swear.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 28, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redbackground posted:

I'm goin' in!

And I'm gone from this thread until I get to read them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know it won't but I'm loving dying to see how this run ends and introduces Secret Wars. I woke up today thinking it was Wednesday and I was so excited for more Hickman but nope I have to wait some more :smith:

I did too :( I went to my LCS to get my books and he just laughed and told me it was Tuesday.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

I'm goin' in!

edit: I will not say a word until later tomorrow, pinky-swear.

I read them this morning. :smuggo:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
This is important.

NEW AVENGERS, THEN AVENGERS.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElNarez posted:

This is important.

NEW AVENGERS, THEN AVENGERS.

Gah why does my codes guy pick today of all days to be delivering them later in the day...I'm of half a mind to just buy the drat issues at 9am from the marvel app and eBay or sell the codes here later for 2 bucks each.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'll just say take your time with both of them--they're both very thick, pretty dense issues (NA, especially).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redbackground posted:

I'll just say take your time with both of them--they're both very thick, pretty dense issues (NA, especially).

How many pages?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gfanikf posted:

How many pages?

They're out in comixology. NA is 34 and Avengers is 41.

Here we loving go.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They're out in comixology. NA is 34 and Avengers is 41.

Here we loving go.

gently caress it I'll just sell the codes later...I mean it's only $4 lost....well really $14...maybe I'll just be patient.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GODDAMMIT BLUE BALLSED TO HELL.

drat YOU HICKMAN!!!!

• Locked thread