Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm not entirely sure why Netflix calls it a "semi-spoof"

Like, what's a full spoof?

I think it's because it doesn't make direct references to other movies like the Scary Movie franchise. It's making fun of a genre but it's not obvious about it. I need to watch it but I'm going to guess if you didn't know it was a spoof, it could be taken as a really weird romantic comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I'm not entirely sure why Netflix calls it a "semi-spoof"

Like, what's a full spoof?

Duh, a full spoof has "Movie" in the title.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

casual poster posted:

It's a little more subtle

They have multiple points where they literally explain out loud that the thing they're talking about is a romance movie cliche and that they are subverting it. "Subtle" is not a word I would use to describe it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
gently caress everything, Cervantes was the nadir of fourth-wall breaking. It's all been downhill for a few hundred years since.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched a few episodes of The Birthday Boys, definitely a strong recommend if you like sketch comedy.

coyo7e posted:

Pretty sure that was the third? And iirc it was a Wayans brother or something? I haven't seen the space one yet though.

Leprechaun 3 is the one where he's in Vegas, 4 is space, 5 and 6 are in the hood. 7 is a reboot starring Hornswaggle from the WWE instead of Warwick Davis.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Woah. The Americans is really good. Compelling characters, nicely shot, great use of visual metaphor, and just the right amount of nostalgic humor. Might stick with this one.

Amazon prime only it seems.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Twitch posted:

Just watched a few episodes of The Birthday Boys, definitely a strong recommend if you like sketch comedy.

A second season apparently exists, but Netflix hasn't put it up.

Also yeah, good show. They're a bit crap at ending sketches sometimes, but they come up with really funny ideas.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A second season apparently exists, but Netflix hasn't put it up.

Also yeah, good show. They're a bit crap at ending sketches sometimes, but they come up with really funny ideas.

Whoosh has become a birthday tradition with my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ZojGkYd0E

They put like a hundred Happy Birthday videos from Woosh online with different names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JnYnA9Tzo

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Crow Jane posted:

Holy poo poo, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was a bizarre and amazing movie.

:agreed:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Does anyone know what episode of The Birthday Boys season 1 has the sketch about the two people who know the secret recipe for Coke being in the same room? Every time I try to recommend the show to people I know I want to show that sketch but I can't find it online anywhere.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Keep On Keepin' On is a fantastic documentary about legendary jazz trumpeter Clark Terry and the deep relationship he has with one of his students/proteges, blind pianist Justin Kauflin. I was choking up the entire movie.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Does anyone know what episode of The Birthday Boys season 1 has the sketch about the two people who know the secret recipe for Coke being in the same room? Every time I try to recommend the show to people I know I want to show that sketch but I can't find it online anywhere.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPF4zaGfisI

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Forever_Peace posted:

Woah. The Americans is really good. Compelling characters, nicely shot, great use of visual metaphor, and just the right amount of nostalgic humor. Might stick with this one.

Amazon prime only it seems.

I haven't checked but is this a show that follows Prime's popular model of "the first season is free, but you'll have to buy everything after that"? I was really interested in Justified until I found that I'd have to spend a ton of money--even just renting the seasons--to binge on the series.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I haven't checked but is this a show that follows Prime's popular model of "the first season is free, but you'll have to buy everything after that"? I was really interested in Justified until I found that I'd have to spend a ton of money--even just renting the seasons--to binge on the series.

I just finished all of the seasons except the last one on prime. Sometimes you have to keep checking back but usually when they do that "first one is free", it's just a little while until they release the rest of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, all the seasons of Justified are free except for the last season that finished like a week ago.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, all the seasons of Justified are free except for the last season that finished like a week ago.

Then it begins.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

jodai posted:

I think it's because it doesn't make direct references to other movies like the Scary Movie franchise. It's making fun of a genre but it's not obvious about it. I need to watch it but I'm going to guess if you didn't know it was a spoof, it could be taken as a really weird romantic comedy.

Yeah I had no idea it was spoof. I just figured it was Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd in a normal romcom with a slightly unfortunate name. Never noticed that it was done by the Wet Hot American Summer guys. If I'd known that I wouldn't have just written it off. Watched it last night and it's almost exhausting how ridiculous it is. It's funny, but at a certain point it just feels like they're trying way too hard to find the joke in any given situation.

The best part of the movie is their couple friends who are just as confused about their story as we all are. The look on their faces when he tells about having to resist the desire to sleep with his grandma was pretty great.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

coyo7e posted:

gently caress everything, Cervantes was the nadir of fourth-wall breaking. It's all been downhill for a few hundred years since.

Downhill from the lowest point?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I had no idea it was spoof. I just figured it was Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd in a normal romcom with a slightly unfortunate name. Never noticed that it was done by the Wet Hot American Summer guys. If I'd known that I wouldn't have just written it off. Watched it last night and it's almost exhausting how ridiculous it is. It's funny, but at a certain point it just feels like they're trying way too hard to find the joke in any given situation.

The best part of the movie is their couple friends who are just as confused about their story as we all are. The look on their faces when he tells about having to resist the desire to sleep with his grandma was pretty great.

I did finally watch it too. The funniest moments were definitely the interplay of the couples as the story progresses. I've noticed in any David Wain movie/show, the whole movie is mediocre but there are always little moments that will stick in my head for a long time afterwards. The part in Wet Hot American Summer where Paul Rudd dumps everything off the table still cracks me up but I can't remember much else about that movie.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Finished the Fed Up documentary on Netflix, and it gave me the same feels as super size me, except the topic is sugar. Felt sick afterwards probably all the candy, popcorn and soda I had during the feature :barf:

Hardawn has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Apr 28, 2015

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Anyone got any good recommendations on some horror flicks? I'm not opposed to gore, but straight slasher flicks bore me. Monster, psychological, demon stuff are usually my favorites. Loved insidious and cabin in the woods (not horror really I know), absolutely loved american horror story (just watched for the first time).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations on some horror flicks? I'm not opposed to gore, but straight slasher flicks bore me. Monster, psychological, demon stuff are usually my favorites. Loved insidious and cabin in the woods (not horror really I know), absolutely loved american horror story (just watched for the first time).

The Thing (the one from 1982), Session 9, Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, Silent Hill, and especially the TV series Hannibal, which has both seasons streaming on Amazon Prime.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Crunkjuice posted:

The Babadook. That is all.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Left Behind is up and I am halfway through it.

I'm not gonna make it sarge.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

Not all of it will appeal, but V/H/S has some good bits if you don't mind found footage films. There's also The Taking of Deborah Logan which is alright, and Frankenstein's Army which is a decent found footage monster movie.

But The Babadook is the right answer.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Rolo posted:

Left Behind is up and I am halfway through it.

I'm not gonna make it sarge.
Abort! Abort!

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
So what did you guys think of V/H/S: Viral? Personally, I thought it was a lot more entertaining than V/H/S 2, which to be fair I really didn't like at all.

The wraparound story didn't make any loving sense but the shorts were good in my opinion. I really liked the second one, and happened to be watching it when my roommate came home with a new girl, haha.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

John Big Booty posted:

Abort! Abort!

I... I can see the end...

I think I can reach it!

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Crunkjuice posted:

Trick 'r Treat

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I had no idea it was spoof.

I didn't either. I thought it was just another romcom set in NYC, but by the end I was in tears and my sides ached.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I... I can see the end...

I think I can reach it!

Elsa give me your hand. Your other hand!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Saw Bunraku, can confirm it's like a TvTropes editor wrote a movie and handed it over to someone who knew how to make it stylish, but not how to make it any better written.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Left Behind is a good movie if you want something so bad that you think they must have been making a spoof, but no, they were serious when they wrote/directed it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Someone recommended A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night and they were right. It was bizarre and amazing. It reminded me a lot of Let the Right One In but there's a sense of isolation that I haven't felt from a movie in a long time and I really like it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crunkjuice posted:

I really liked Re-Animator, it's an H.P. Lovecraft story reimagined as an 80s college movie. The guy who plays Herbert West loving nails it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

jodai posted:

Someone recommended A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night and they were right. It was bizarre and amazing. It reminded me a lot of Let the Right One In but there's a sense of isolation that I haven't felt from a movie in a long time and I really like it.

I think that was me, and I still haven't been able to get that movie out of my head. It just sort of hit all my sweet spots. Kind of amazing how much atmosphere the filmmakers managed to create on what was apparently a *tiny* budget.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I have a weakness for terrible found footage movies on Netflix/Amazon Prime. We've watched VHS 1 & 2, Grave Encounters, and a smattering of other stuff I can't remember the names of but I want more. I seem to remember there being on involving dinosaurs but I can't remember it's name.

Obviously the cheesier the better.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Len posted:

So I have a weakness for terrible found footage movies on Netflix/Amazon Prime. We've watched VHS 1 & 2, Grave Encounters, and a smattering of other stuff I can't remember the names of but I want more. I seem to remember there being on involving dinosaurs but I can't remember it's name.

Obviously the cheesier the better.

There's a new VHS. It's V/H/S:Viral or something.

There's a Grave Encounters 2 but it's pure poo poo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Saw Bunraku, can confirm it's like a TvTropes editor wrote a movie and handed it over to someone who knew how to make it stylish, but not how to make it any better written.
Yet everyone seems to think that it was genius in Kill Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

People love sucking Tarantino's dick so much they don't bother checking if it's clean.