Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It must actually be really satisfying to go through life with that little self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It must actually be really satisfying to go through life with that little self-awareness.

I don't think it is

quote:

On the way to becoming the most powerful black sportswriter in America, he became the most hated. And now at the summit, he hides himself in a world of his own devising. He glares into shadows, lashes out at his contemporaries, and susses out imagined schemes against him. (He is so paranoid that, according to a source close to him, after the publication of my critical story last year, Whitlock was shaken enough that he took to binge-watching 9/11 conspiracy videos. “Truther poo poo on Netflix,” was how the source characterized it. “That’s what your first article did to him.”) All the while, he gives no sign of understanding the obvious.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
All I know about Greg Howard are his Whitlock hit pieces and I swear the dude has pictures of Jason around his house, Ray Finkle style.

The man thinks his last article made Jason Whitlock start watching Loose Change on repeat. That is ridiculous.

note: I like Whitlock because his twitter feed and podcasts on Fox Sports were both loving awesome. ESPN Whitlock is not nearly as awesome. All you gotta know is while at Fox Sports he had his barber on to clown on Tim Tebow for an hour and it was the podcast of the year imo. ESPN would never let him do that. The other great thing about him at Fox Sports was tearing apart weak articles and horseshit "journalists". He was on the Charles Robinson's Miami story is bullshit from day one (literally, the first day it came out) while the rest of the media was shining up a Pulitzer for the dude. He goes to ESPN and like 3 weeks later almost gets suspended for saying Thayer Evans can't spell cat. Fuckin' ESPN.

His articles are by far the worst thing he produces, although I have never really seen him on TV.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm probably the closest thing here to a Whitlock supporter other than you and I believe most of that article.

The weirdest thing about this is Whitlock has never seen a bridge he wasn't completely willing to burn down. And it's absolutely no secret that's the case and ESPN knows it first hand. Why in the world did they think he was a good choice to head something this ambitious?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

I'm probably the closest thing here to a Whitlock supporter other than you and I believe most of that article.

The weirdest thing about this is Whitlock has never seen a bridge he wasn't completely willing to burn down. And it's absolutely no secret that's the case and ESPN knows it first hand. Why in the world did they think he was a good choice to head something this ambitious?

White neocons are intentionally setting up Black Americans to fail. :tinfoil:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The article is probably mostly true, although the 9/11 claim is ridiculous. However, Greg Howard still seems flat out obsessed with him. You don't write 10,000 word articles about someone without at least a tiny bit of obsession.

Whitlock should just be a funny dude who clowns on everyone, says some stuff that makes you roll your eyes and say "Thats Jace for ya" but you love the man because he makes you laugh all the time.....basically Charles Barkley light. When ESPN called him about "Black Grantland" someone needed to tell his rear end to stay his lane. He is in over his head. I wish he just stayed at Fox Sports recording more Real Talk episodes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To hear Greg tell it, he turned down Whitlock for a spot on the website a while back and Whitlock was chasing him pretty hard and didn't react well to it.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Chichevache posted:

I don't think it is

YESSS THIS WAS THE BEST PART.

Holy gently caress. Imagine shattering someone so much they just starting watching "Loose Change" on repeat.

The "Vince Young" effect.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

DJExile posted:

To hear Greg tell it, he turned down Whitlock for a spot on the website a while back and Whitlock was chasing him pretty hard and didn't react well to it.

Apparently the break came after that point. Howard wrote an article attempting to record every black NFL quarterback and Whitlock came up regarding RG3.

quote:

But during RGIII's rookie campaign, two particular journalists—Rob Parker and Jason Whitlock—were vocal in denouncing the rookie, and in doing so, linked their careers to his, and to the way racial discourse plays out in today's sports media.

But Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock wrote a column titled, "RG3 should share blame for injury," in which he blasted the quarterback for staying in the game, for thinking that even on one leg, he was the Redskins' best hope for victory. It was the first in a series of pieces deriding RGIII for what Whitlock perceived as a lack of humility. As RGIII pushed himself to recover in the offseason, Whitlock wrote another column titled, "RGIII needs to man up and shut up." Whitlock then moved to ESPN, where he proclaimed near the end of Griffin's second season in the league that "RG III a victim of his own swagger."

For some African-Americans, Whitlock was blaspheming. If RGIII wasn't down for the cause, what would that make Whitlock here?

These were complicated matters, made doubly so by the fact in Whitlock and Parker we had two accomplished black men criticizing a prominent black athlete in front of a large, mostly white audience, in terms that were unmistakable to black folks. Whitlock was calling RGIII a nigga, in the Chris Rock sense of the word. Parker was calling him an Uncle Tom.

Same goes for Whitlock, who in a broad sense isn't saying anything that Bill Cosby doesn't say every time a black college makes the mistake of letting him speak there.

Whitlock's argument—that Griffin's lack of humility, instead of the lack of a fully-functioning knee or the lack of an in-game snap in over eight months or the lack of talent around him in the huddle and front office, is the sole reason for his struggles on the field in his sophomore campaign—is silly, and the silliness is compounded by the fact that he's making the argument in front of white folks, seemingly valorizing any dark suppositions about the priorities of young black men.

This apparently prompted an hour-long phone call demanding an apology while Howard was in the Hospital.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Greg Howard should apologize to the world for the sentence about Chris Rock, which I hope is the dumbest thing I read all day

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

football fuckerman posted:

Greg Howard should apologize to the world for the sentence about Chris Rock, which I hope is the dumbest thing I read all day

I must be missing something because I don't see anything particularly super dumb there.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Well its obtuse and unnecessary and relies on the reader having knowledge of a like decade old Chris Rock routine. It's bad but not worst thing I'll read all day bad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Well its obtuse and unnecessary and relies on the reader having knowledge of a like decade old Chris Rock routine. It's bad but not worst thing I'll read all day bad.

Its arguably Chris Rock's most famous routine and has been a major element of discussions of black perception since it came out though.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Two decades. I know, I've been struggling with general dating like that, too, and basically refer to everything in the past as if it's still 2005.

Still though, I don't think it's that obtuse of a reference -- like Mel said, it's a pretty big cultural touchstone.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
All of a sudden referencing a Chris Rock stand-up puts you on the "Dennis Miller-esque" level.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

That Chris rock bit is used a lot by racists for justifying their use of the n word. It was funny as a joke but not as a life philosophy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GNU Order posted:

That Chris rock bit is used a lot by racists for justifying their use of the n word. It was funny as a joke but not as a life philosophy.

Yeah it perfectly shows the point he was trying to make.

I mean its jjust a comedy routine if you want to get all stuck up about it, but whatever.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that RGIII was specifically referred to as an "Uncle Tom" at some point, which is some hateful poo poo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A cornball one at that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GNU Order posted:

It was intended that way until millions of ignorant peckerwoods justified their racism as "hating niggers, not the good ones". I'm with Mel, the reference is well known enough and a big enough deal, especially in discussions of race, that it was a decent fit for the article. Notice that everyone in this thread immediately knew what Howard was referring to.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This bears crossposting

http://deadspin.com/haughty-dipshit-gregg-easterbrook-gone-from-espn-1701211035

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only reason I knew TMQ was still around was because of Deadspin. Boy did that column become dated in a hurry when Grantland took off.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Page 2 as a whole should've probably been put down once Grantland launched. I can't remember the last time I clicked into there.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Yesterday:

@OmarKelly: Mike Wallace > Kenny Stills. But Greg Jennings is better/more accomplished than Brian Hartline (63 TDs), & DeVante Parker > Rishard Matthews

Today:

@KSTiLLS: Bleacher report > Omar Kelly

I like this Kenny Stills guy

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hahaha

That reminds me of when Omar talked poo poo about the linebacker opposite karlos dansby and during a press conference and the guy replied to his question with "sorry I was too busy wondering why you ain't suited up to play"

Omar basically called the LB soft.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 1, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Kenny Stills: My new 2nd favorite Dolphin

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Anyone who poo poo talks Omar Kelly is a good person.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Players who use twitter to talk poo poo are the best.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

korrandark posted:

Anyone who poo poo talks Omar Kelly is a good person.

I loving DARE Omar to rage out and boot Kenny Stills from his twitter.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He always cowers down until they retire. Channing crowder destroys Omar kelly on a regular basis on his radio show. Omar can't call out a guy whose not only more intelligent but more athletic and well connected in football so he just kinda takes it

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@OmarKelly: It's funny how we view "boxers." But I don't care who you are. At 5-foot-5, 146 pounds you ain't about to whip me. Hell nah!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: It's funny how we view "boxers." But I don't care who you are. At 5-foot-5, 146 pounds you ain't about to whip me. Hell nah!

:cripes:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ehud posted:

umm Big Show is 7 feet tall and Mayweather took him out.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Nice to see that you guys got that Omar parody account up

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ribsauce posted:

umm Big Show is 7 feet tall and Mayweather took him out.

That's impossible, nobody can lift the Big Show

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is where we are as a people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMl_LMlbQsA

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jesus H Christ...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The most disturbing event of the offseason by far, in my opinion.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
You can hear Schefter checking his tone when he talks about why Collins was falling in the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It says something that getting a scoop for these guys is being the first person the player's agent calls

• Locked thread