Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc
can we talk about trains or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey Shbobdb. Here to tell us the truth about 9/11?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most of the people from the independent cities/town bordering or sometimes enclaved within them will make a point to say they're from that specific place if you ask where they're from.

You're hiding a classist/regionalist tendency here. I strongly doubt someone who lives in East Los Angeles (not even incorporated, natch) is going to stress that in quite the same way someone from Malibu will. And even if they did, it seems to me that they'd only make that distinction to someone who already lives in LA, because no one in Chicago is going to care that you live in East LA, especially if you can't point to it as a rich enclave.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

While Baltimore is pretty far south, it is also north enough as to be "one of the good ones" that "isn't supposed to be racist".

When I lived in MD, the KKK held a rally on MLK day at the Alex Haley memorial.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

The Baltimore metro area overlaps with the DC Metro area. Also, Baltimore is on the coast and is a civilized place that people care about. St. Louis is in the middle of flyover country. A segregated portion of St. Louis is "whocaresville". It isn't about the size, it is about media impact.

While Baltimore is pretty far south, it is also north enough as to be "one of the good ones" that "isn't supposed to be racist". If this happened in Charlotte, people would tut-tut but say, "That is the South for you. Good thing we aren't racist here". Ditto with flyover country. Do they even have black people in flyover country and if they do, well of course they are racist. What do you expect? But a place next to DC where serious people live? There can't be racism there!

That's not quite an accurate view of racism in NE core cities.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Ron Jeremy posted:

When I lived in MD, the KKK held a rally on MLK day at the Alex Haley memorial.

Southern Maryland is more outright racist than South Carolina was in my experience. The Saint Mary's/Waldorf area farmers don't mind telling you their thoughts on race.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/28/politics/iran-seizes-commercial-ship-u-s-official-says-no-americans-on-board/index.html

quote:

Washington (CNN)Iran Revolutionary Guard patrol boats fired shots across the bow of and later intercepted a commercial cargo ship, the M/V Maersk Tigris, which was crossing the Strait of Hormuz Tuesday morning, according to a senior U.S. military official.

Despite reports in some media, there are no Americans on board, the official said.

The ship, a Marshall Islands flagged vessel, was transiting the Strait into the Persian Gulf on an internationally recognized maritime route when the the Iranian military contacted the vessel and directed the ship master to "divert further into Iranian Waters," according to Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve Warren.

"The master was contacted and directed to proceed further into Iranian territorial waters. He declined and one of the IRGCN craft fired shots across the bridge of the Maersk Tigris," said Warren. "The master complied with the Iranian demand and proceeded into Iranian waters IVO Larak Island."

After the shots were fired, the Tigris issued a distress call which was picked up by U.S. forces in the area and the USS Farragut was ordered to head towards the incident. The closest U.S. warship was 60 miles from the incident.

The U.S. Navy has also sent aircraft to monitor the status.

According to the shipping company, which is in contact with the U.S. military, the Iranian military has boarded the ship.

The bugs whacked us, Johnny

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
One of my favorite ironies in situations like this is that all the pearl-clutching white people condemning all the violence would be right there out in the streets burning poo poo down too if they faced a loving fraction of the institutionalized violence that poor minority communities have for decades.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

One of my favorite ironies in situations like this is that all the pearl-clutching white people condemning all the violence would be right there out in the streets burning poo poo down too if they faced a loving fraction of the institutionalized violence that poor minority communities have for decades.

if only valve hadn't backtracked on paid skyrim mods...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What's the eventual justification going to be, he was resisting arrest so the police had to use force and he magically died, a la Eric Garner?

I also assume he had a squeaky clean past since the media hasn't been talking about him all, instead of obsessing over how he stole a six pack when he was fifteen.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 28, 2015

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

stinkles1112 posted:

Everytime there's a big sporting event, actually.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Shbobdb posted:

The Baltimore metro area overlaps with the DC Metro area. Also, Baltimore is on the coast and is a civilized place that people care about. St. Louis is in the middle of flyover country. A segregated portion of St. Louis is "whocaresville". It isn't about the size, it is about media impact.

While Baltimore is pretty far south, it is also north enough as to be "one of the good ones" that "isn't supposed to be racist". If this happened in Charlotte, people would tut-tut but say, "That is the South for you. Good thing we aren't racist here". Ditto with flyover country. Do they even have black people in flyover country and if they do, well of course they are racist. What do you expect? But a place next to DC where serious people live? There can't be racism there!

Baltimore is unusual in that it's obviously more of the NYC, Philly mold of city with their brand of institutional racism but also has enough hick roots to dabble in the "aw shucks" southern racism. Baltimore city's white culture is more like south western Maryland than it is like Baltimore county.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Beamed posted:

Doesn't even need to be that big of a sporting event

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/11/white-people-rioting-for-no-reason.html

quote:

Keene, NH, 2014. Because pumpkins.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beamed posted:

As far as Randpaul is concerned, being called a racist rear end in a top hat for being a racist rear end in a top hat is literally every bit as bad as experiencing three centuries of institutionalized dehumanization , discrimination, and socioeconomic disenfranchisement. I guess TTIITM, so losing a hockey or football game or pumpkin contest or surf contest is pretty much the same as reaching a cultural breaking point in the face of ongoing racial animosity and seeing yet another friend or neighbor get killed in police custody while nobody is held accountable for it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, they really, really do in American law and geography. I don't care that someone who lives dozens of miles away and never even visits thinks they're from the city, everyone knows they aren't. It's like trying to brag about how you can totally lift 400 pounds, just not today because you're sick or other such boasts.

Houston's a huge rear end city with huge city limits. Same thing goes with LA. Most of the people from the independent cities/town bordering or sometimes enclaved within them will make a point to say they're from that specific place if you ask where they're from. For example, Spring Valley, TX people are often real snooty about being from there, even though they're just a former suburb that managed to resist the annexations that nor totally surround it. Same goes for LA: people from Beverly Hills let you know they're from Beverly Hills.

Like again, you seem to be trying to conflate cities with metro areas in a way American people don't usually do. But you're doing it in a way that matches up very well with how Australians use "city".

We're not talking about American law so I super don't care, and I disagree about geography. They don't need to "visit," because as far as they're concerned they're already in the city, so that's really kinda an improper way of thinking about it. If we are talking about American law you need to state that explicitly and then the discussion changes a whole heck of a lot.

So as far as I can tell all you care about for what defines a city is that it is a governmental entity called a City with city limits. I think that because all you seem to refer to are city limits and the characteristics of Houston and Boston are massively different, but you still consider everything within the city limits as The City, because definition. That's weirdly rigid and a fairly bad definition of a city that, I think counter to what you say, doesn't apply to much of how people think of cities, in America, not in Australia, you weirdo.

I don't think people have a sharp distinction based on if you step across an invisible line you are now inside the city, and if you step outside of the line you are now outside of the city. I think this looks even more ridiculous when you apply it to places like Anaconda, Montana, where there's hundreds of square miles of uninhabited forest that's technically city.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

What's the eventual justification going to be, he was resisting arrest so the police had to use force and he magically died, a la Eric Garner?

I also assume he had a squeaky clean past since the media hasn't been talking about him all, instead of obsessing over how he stole a six pack when he was fifteen.

I've heard he was a drug dealer who was "poisoning his community" used as a justification for his death. This is from a place that overwhelmingly leans towards the war on drugs being one of the worst things ever. But he was black, so...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

While Baltimore is pretty far south, it is also north enough as to be "one of the good ones" that "isn't supposed to be racist".

Haha, what? The only reason Maryland didn't join the confederacy is because it was occupied by Federal troops and Lincoln arrested like half the legislature and held them without trial.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Haha, what? The only reason Maryland didn't join the confederacy is because it was occupied by Federal troops and Lincoln arrested like half the legislature and held them without trial.

Not to mention it was a Slave state even when it was part of the Union. Lincoln made a special exception for them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sugar free jazz posted:

We're not talking about American law so I super don't care, and I disagree about geography. They don't need to "visit," because as far as they're concerned they're already in the city, so that's really kinda an improper way of thinking about it. If we are talking about American law you need to state that explicitly and then the discussion changes a whole heck of a lot.

So as far as I can tell all you care about for what defines a city is that it is a governmental entity called a City with city limits. I think that because all you seem to refer to are city limits and the characteristics of Houston and Boston are massively different, but you still consider everything within the city limits as The City, because definition. That's weirdly rigid and a fairly bad definition of a city that, I think counter to what you say, doesn't apply to much of how people think of cities, in America, not in Australia, you weirdo.

I don't think people have a sharp distinction based on if you step across an invisible line you are now inside the city, and if you step outside of the line you are now outside of the city. I think this looks even more ridiculous when you apply it to places like Anaconda, Montana, where there's hundreds of square miles of uninhabited forest that's technically city.

I sincerely dispute that most people who have never been to a city consider themselves inside the city. Perhaps people who are severely uneducated and also never had to tell anyone their address do? Also, why would we not be talking about American law when we're talking Americans, and American cities in the American politics thread? Seriously are you foreign or something, is English a second language for you?

No, people in America really do understand that the city limits judge where the city stops and another place begins, in America, because that's how this country's system of government, society and history regard it. You seem to have a weird hang up about like the platonic ideal of the city but that's really quite irrelevant.

Anaconda may be legally termed a city, but your average person would consider it merely a small town and it'd only be important that you entered it if they had laws that you might be violating.

Again you seem to be just considering metropolitan area = city even though no person really thinks that.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, during the Civil War, but (possibly because of that?) we've gone the opposite way ever since, and share a lot more culturally with the North than the South. At least on the surface, anyway, as this whole thing has demonstrated. (And also as long as you don't go to the Eastern Shore.)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Amergin posted:

Southern Maryland is more outright racist than South Carolina was in my experience. The Saint Mary's/Waldorf area farmers don't mind telling you their thoughts on race.

Oh my is thus true. I have family that lived in that area and left to visit Houston for the election because their neighbors had convinced each other that "the blacks" would burn DC to the ground and come spilling out into the countryside in search of food when Obama lost.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In america they even put like signs on the road when you leave or enter a city so that you know that you are doing it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Log082 posted:

Yeah, during the Civil War, but (possibly because of that?) we've gone the opposite way ever since, and share a lot more culturally with the North than the South. At least on the surface, anyway, as this whole thing has demonstrated. (And also as long as you don't go to the Eastern Shore.)

some people refer to the midatlantic states as a subregion that has one foot in the north and the other in the south

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

Shbobdb is talking about how people like to view themselves and the areas, not the actual history. You know, same reason white people generally think cops are fine.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Nintendo Kid posted:

I sincerely dispute that most people who have never been to a city consider themselves inside the city. Perhaps people who are severely uneducated and also never had to tell anyone their address do? Also, why would we not be talking about American law when we're talking Americans, and American cities in the American politics thread? Seriously are you foreign or something, is English a second language for you?

No, people in America really do understand that the city limits judge where the city stops and another place begins, in America, because that's how this country's system of government, society and history regard it. You seem to have a weird hang up about like the platonic ideal of the city but that's really quite irrelevant.

Anaconda may be legally termed a city, but your average person would consider it merely a small town and it'd only be important that you entered it if they had laws that you might be violating.

Again you seem to be just considering metropolitan area = city even though no person really thinks that.

You are 100% indisputably correct about this utterly irrelevant derail congratulations now can we talk about something besides what constitutes a geographical city please

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How Washington derailed Amtrak

quote:

Thirty-nine minutes into his southbound ride from Wilmington, Delaware, to Washington, D.C., Joseph H. Boardman, president and CEO of Amtrak, begins to cry. We're in the dining car of a train called the Silver Star, surrounded by people eating hamburgers. The Silver Star runs from New York City to Miami in 31 hours, or five more hours than the route took in 1958, which is when our dining car was built. Boardman and I have been discussing the unfortunate fact that 45 years since its inception, the company he oversees remains a poorly funded, largely neglected ward of the state, unable to fully control its own finances or make its own decisions. I ask him, "Is this a frustrating job?"

"I guess it could be, and there are times it is," he says. "No question about that. But—" His voice begins to catch. "Sixty-six years old, I've spent my life doing this. I talked to my 80-year-old aunt this weekend, who said, 'Joe, just keep working.' Because I think about retirement." Boardman is a Republican who formerly ran the Federal Railroad Administration and was New York state's transportation commissioner; he has a bushy white mustache and an aw-shucks smile. "We've done good things," he continues. "We haven't done everything right, and I don't make all of the right decisions, and, yes, I get frustrated. But you have to stay up." A tear crawls down his left cheek.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/amtrak-acela-high-speed-trains-20150417

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

In these trying times, we turn to our nation's leaders* to offer us clarity:

"As far as root causes, Paul listed some ideas of his own.

"There are so many things we can talk about," the senator said, "the breakdown of the family structure, the lack of fathers, the lack of a moral code in our society."

He added that "this isn't just a racial thing."

*and also to Rand Paul

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

fade5 posted:

Yep, Vice remains awesome.

I don't watch a lot of Vice, but I watched this and the ISIS video and goddamn those reporters are really willing to go places that most aren't.

Also it's worth mentioning that we have a thread for discussing institutional racism right in this very forum. It's easy to find now because it has a "crap" rating.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

baw posted:

I don't watch a lot of Vice, but I watched this and the ISIS video and goddamn those reporters are really willing to go places that most aren't.

Also it's worth mentioning that we have a thread for discussing institutional racism right in this very forum. It's easy to find now because it has a "poo poo" rating.

shame about the GBS white power brigade though

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Tender Bender posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/freddie-was-our-family/2015/04/24/662956a2-e9d4-11e4-9a6a-c1ab95a0600b_story.html

He has an arrest record for supposedly dealing small amounts of marijuana and heroine. I say supposedly because they found the drugs nearby and assumed it to be his according to the article. Even assuming that he was a small time drug dealer, it's not really much better than executing a man on the street under suspicion of selling loose, untaxed cigarettes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Non-Joemomentum quote of the day

Obama posted:

"Today is also a chance for Americans — especially our young people — to say thank you for all the things we love from Japan," Obama said. "Like karate, karaoke, manga, anime and of course, emojis."

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Shageletic posted:

No mention of washoku? :argh:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Where is Monster Hunter on that list.

Thanks Obama.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Obama: secret ADTRW poster?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shageletic posted:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shageletic posted:

Karaoke and karate more like karabunka am I right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Iron Twinkie posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/freddie-was-our-family/2015/04/24/662956a2-e9d4-11e4-9a6a-c1ab95a0600b_story.html

He has an arrest record for supposedly dealing small amounts of marijuana and heroine. I say supposedly because they found the drugs nearby and assumed it to be his according to the article. Even assuming that he was a small time drug dealer, it's not really much better than executing a man on the street under suspicion of selling loose, untaxed cigarettes.

Someone on my Facebook brought his arrest record up.

Didn't you know? Being a dealer means breaking your spine is fair game.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

I don't see tamagoyaki on that list. Clear evidence that Obama hates eggs and also freedom.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

"There are so many things we can talk about," the senator said, "the breakdown of the family structure, the lack of fathers, the lack of a moral code in our society."

*and also to Rand Paul

He has a good point. Our police officers need to be raised in supportive households with stern fathers to teach them a strong moral code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ron Jeremy posted:

*and also to Rand Paul

Someone's been reading the Moynihan Report :allears:

• Locked thread