Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Foma posted:

I don't think that pans out, Darren Wilson/Michael Brown case was reviewed by the Federal government and we got riots there.

You'll also note the feds released a report that can be summed up as "the city of Ferguson shits on the lives of its black citizens as hard as it is physically able to, from every possible angle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

"I hereby declare myself the winner, and also smarter than you :smuggo:

That's ok though, I can be magnanimous in victory."

For someone so smart, he doesn't understand how basic hiring practices work.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

You'll also note the feds released a report that can be summed up as "the city of Ferguson shits on the lives of its black citizens as hard as it is physically able to, from every possible angle."

Yeah but we're going to totally discount that because the attorney general was a black man because local justice systems are always totally reliable, I mean! Anyone who contradicts that, even a federal agency just has daddy issues. Daddy issues like "wow that sure is a lot of evidence confirming insane amounts of brutality and discrimination"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kanish posted:

I dont have much respect for the viewpoints of the violent gangs of baltimore no. So Im still not sure of where I should be ashamed of my comment? Looting hasnt changed any viewpoints of how badly BPD has messed up, and added to its troubled history.

I honestly geniunely feel bad for the people out there who message is being lost in all this. But I think it is in the realm of possibility to be upset about multiple things.

The message isn't being "lost", it's being supressed by the media. They'll take anything they can to change the subject from the causes of the rioting because they don't want to change the status quo. If it was still peaceful protests, they'd just push celeb gossip more or something.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

effectual posted:

The message isn't being "lost", it's being supressed by the media. They'll take anything they can to change the subject from the causes of the rioting because they don't want to change the status quo. If it was still peaceful protests, they'd just push celeb gossip more or something.

Which is why protesting is a lose/lose/lose option. Your efforts could be going for more effective routes to change, you don't get positive coverage unless you run into a Bull Conner type and those don't really exist these days, and you open up the chance for rioting and your message to completely run away and your side becoming untenable to support by the masses.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

effectual posted:

When this literally happened, CNN media director claimed that people will find out about it the following day. They were there within seconds they heard blacks were looting and possibly threatening to whites.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Foma posted:

Which is why protesting is a lose/lose/lose option. Your efforts could be going for more effective routes to change, you don't get positive coverage unless you run into a Bull Conner type and those don't really exist these days, and you open up the chance for rioting and your message to completely run away and your side becoming untenable to support by the masses.

Why'd you have to go throw bottles at cops who were just doing their jobs at Stonewall, gay people? Nothing justifies violence. You're just turning people off, couldn't you have let yourselves be arrested and beaten quietly and politely and then written a sternly-worded letter to your congressman later if you were released?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Foma posted:

The only thing that can change the status quo is seriously threatening to burn the whole system down, only then will they capitulate. It's time for you to wake up and smell the brutality.
Until you're ready to get violent, you're better off staying home and jacking off.

It's like that line "we don't negotiate with terrists" - then who do we negotiate with, our best friends? That's the whole point of negotiating, you trade something to your enemy so they stop fighting you.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 28, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apparently Gray's arrest record is mostly narcotics possession, and this is pretty much all that is required now to finish up the next race-baiting quilt.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Apparently Gray's arrest record is mostly narcotics possession, and this is pretty much all that is required now to finish up the next race-baiting quilt.

a 'good' post from elsewhere

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

It's like no one seems to realize that judge dredd is satire - cops aren't in the business of dealing out 'justice', we have loving courts for that.

Foma posted:

You can't expect people to, in the face of gross injustice, do nothing. Message control and optics would be manageable if they were strictly organized, but you can't expect that kind of situation to arise spontaneously. If this riot does nothing more than help galvanize opposition, and push organization, then its done something positive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I, too, believe police should be allowed to summarily execute humans based on prior violations of law

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nonsense posted:

I also read somewhere (sorry phone posting) that he actually was convicted less than half of the times charges were brought against him (which is a lower number than his arrests, even)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fucknag posted:

I, too, believe police should be allowed to summarily execute humans based on prior violations of law

Remember that movie where people paid for things with minutes out of their lifespan? Let's do that except every time you get arrested your lifeclock advances by a color.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Foma posted:

VitalSigns posted:

Why'd you have to go throw bottles at cops who were just doing their jobs at Stonewall, gay people? Nothing justifies violence. You're just turning people off, couldn't you have let yourselves be arrested and beaten quietly and politely and then written a sternly-worded letter to your congressman later if you were released?

effectual posted:

The only thing that can change the status quo is seriously threatening to burn the whole system down, only then will they capitulate. It's time for you to wake up and smell the brutality.
Until you're ready to get violent, you're better off staying home and jacking off.

It's like that line "we don't negotiate with terrists" - then who do we negotiate with, our best friends? That's the whole point of negotiating, you trade something to your enemy so they stop fighting you.

a lot of very comfortable middle class white boys itt very happy to play "let's you and him fight" with minorities and the police. yeah, violent revolution is the only way to solve this very serious problem!

what's that? well, you see, i have some diablo to play, otherwise i would, but you know i'm rooting for you guys!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
MLK on riots:

"I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity"

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
"I say violence is necessary. It is as American as cherry pie."

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Foma posted:

In Maryland the case is not filmed and is ambiguous

The only thing that is ambiguous in Maryland is how did the spinal cord get severed and since we know he did not do it himself there is some grave injustice that needs to be uncovered even if it is just that he slid into the side of the van because he wasn't properly belted in.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

The only thing that is ambiguous in Maryland is how did the spinal cord get severed and since we know he did not do it himself there is some grave injustice that needs to be uncovered even if it is just that he slid into the side of the van because he wasn't properly belted in.

"He slid into the side of the van because he wasn't belted in."

You really think that's going to quell dissent?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Radbot posted:

"He slid into the side of the van because he wasn't belted in."

You really think that's going to quell dissent?

I wouldn't expect it to but that's not the point - we don't know what happened yet but even if it was an "accident" like this they are still culpable. If you don't follow safety rules and someone dies in your care as a result you are still negligent and should be charged with a crime. There was a crime here is the point I am making in response to the idea that this is ambiguous.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-freddie-gray-20150425-story.html

good editorial on the environment that leads to these events.

quote:

We don't need four investigations to answer what may be the most consequential questions posed by the events leading up to Freddie Gray's death: Why did police approach him on April 12, why did he run, and why did they chase him? The outcome of that encounter was a tragic injustice of the sort that sends thousands of people into the streets to protest. But the forces that led up to it are the kind of tragic injustice that is too easy to ignore.

By no account — not even that of the officers who arrested him — was Gray doing anything wrong that morning when police arrived. It turns out he had a switchblade in his pocket according to police, but he wasn't brandishing it or threatening anyone. According to a police report, all that happened was that an officer made eye contact with him and another man. Gray and his companion ran, and the officers pursued him.

Why did Gray run? He had been arrested a number of times in the past on relatively minor drug charges and other piddling offenses, like having "gaming cards, dice." Did that make him a bad person, a shady character? His friends and neighbors say no. What it makes him is all too typical in a neighborhood where generations of crushing poverty and the war on drugs combine to rob countless young people like him of meaningful opportunities.

The neighborhood where he lived, Sandtown-Winchester, recently made news as the census tract that is home to more inmates in the Maryland correctional system than any other. But that is not the only way in which it is exceptional. Four years ago, the Baltimore Health Department issued a community profile of that neighborhood and even in a city where poverty is widespread, it stands out. The unemployment rate there is about double the citywide average, and so is the poverty rate. Similarly, there are about twice as many liquor stores and tobacco outlets per capita in Sandtown-Winchester as in the city as a whole. Fully a quarter of juveniles in that neighborhood had been arrested between 2005 and 2009. It had the worst domestic violence rate of any of the neighborhoods the health department analyzed and among the worst rates for non-fatal shootings and homicides. A quarter of the buildings are vacant, and the lead paint violation rate is triple the city average. (Gray and his sisters suffered from lead paint poisoning as children.) The only metric the health department analyzed in which Sandtown-Winchester was the best in the city was in the density of fast food restaurants. Perhaps it's too poor to have any.

If all that doesn't amount to an excuse for Freddie Gray's apparently small-scale, non-violent participation in the drug trade, it certainly should qualify as an explanation.

And what of the police? The Supreme Court ruled long ago that fleeing from officers is not, in itself, probable cause to make an arrest.
Department policy calls for suspects to be buckled into seat belts when they are transported in police vans and for officers to get medical attention for suspects when they request it, but neither happened in this case. Whatever role they may or may not have played in the injuries the caused Gray's death, their actions can only be explained by the corrosive effects of a drug war that has turned entire communities into criminal suspects.

The per capita arrest rate for African Americans in Baltimore is more than three times that for other races, and it's not just a matter of blacks committing more crimes. Things people get away with in nice neighborhoods are the subject of heavy enforcement in places like Sandtown-Winchester. For example, though whites and blacks smoke marijuana at about the same rate, the per capita marijuana possession arrest rate for blacks in Baltimore was 5.6 times higher than that for whites in 2010, according to an analysis by the ACLU. The marijuana possession arrest rate declined by 20 percent in the five years after the peak of O'Malley-era zero-tolerance policing, but the arrest rate for blacks increased by 20 percent. The Sun's Justin Fenton this week reported on a man's arrest for jaywalking near a Freddie Gray protest.

Baltimore police officers are not bad people, but they are put in an untenable position. They are sent to clean up communities like Sandtown-Winchester, where decades of social and economic devastation have left the drug trade as the only viable option for many, and their actions only make it more difficult for the people who live there to find legitimate jobs. The cycle self-perpetuates, and resentment builds until it blows over in a case like this one. It cannot continue. Thousands are now in the streets demanding justice for Freddie Gray, and we hope he gets it. But what's needed even more is for the city to deliver justice for the communities full of people like him.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

2016 Candidates Are United in Call to Alter Justice System

quote:

WASHINGTON — The last time a Clinton and a Bush ran for president, the country was awash in crime and the two parties were competing to show who could be tougher on murderers, rapists and drug dealers. Sentences were lengthened and new prisons sprouted up across the country.

But more than two decades later, declared and presumed candidates for president are competing over how to reverse what they see as the policy excesses of the 1990s and the mass incarceration that has followed. Democrats and Republicans alike are putting forth ideas to reduce the prison population and rethink a system that has locked up a generation of young men, particularly African-Americans.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, Senator Ted Cruz and Senator Rand Paul want to ease mandatory minimum sentences. Gov. Chris Christie wants to release nonviolent offenders pending trial without bail. Gov. Scott Walker, former Gov. Rick Perry and former Senator James Webb want to expand drug treatment as an alternative to prison. Senator Marco Rubio wants to make it harder to convict federal defendants without proving intent.

The focus on overhauling the criminal justice system comes at a time of protests over the use of lethal force by the local police and unrest in cities like Baltimore and Ferguson, Mo., and represents a profound shift in American politics. Where the elder George Bush won the presidency in part by attacking his opponent as soft on crime and Bill Clinton enacted landmark crime legislation pouring police officers into the streets and ratcheting up sentences, today’s candidates across the ideological spectrum have concluded that previous leaders went too far.

“This really does reflect a huge change in the political momentum from decades when parties and candidates competed to see who could be the most flamboyantly punitive,” said Michael Waldman, the president of the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University’s School of Law and a former aide to Mr. Clinton. Now, Mr. Waldman said, “there’s a competition for reform and to take on the issue of mass incarceration. It’s really unheard-of in recent decades.”

The extent of that change is made evident in a new book Mr. Waldman’s center has compiled featuring essays by many of the major presidential candidates laying out ideas for tackling the criminal justice system. Mrs. Clinton and her Democratic rivals approach the issue from a social justice perspective, while Republicans like Mr. Cruz, Mr. Perry, Mr. Paul and Mr. Rubio see it through a fiscal, libertarian or religious lens, but they share a consensus about the goal.

“There is an emerging consensus that the time for criminal justice reform has come,” Mr. Rubio wrote in the book. “A spirited conversation about how to go about that reform has begun.”

For Mrs. Clinton, it was time to avoid another “incarceration generation,” as she put it. “We need a true national debate about how to reduce our current prison population while keeping our communities safe,” she wrote.

Significantly, her husband added a foreword in which he implicitly agreed that some of the policies he himself embraced two decades ago were too extreme. “The drop in violence and crime in America has been an extraordinary national achievement,” Bill Clinton wrote. “But plainly, our nation has too many people in prison and for too long — we have overshot the mark.”

In addition to Mrs. Clinton’s essay, the book, called “Solutions: American Leaders Speak Out on Criminal Justice,” scheduled to be released Tuesday, includes essays by two likely Democratic challengers, Mr. Webb of Virginia and former Gov. Martin O’Malley of Maryland. Republican contributors include Mr. Christie of New Jersey, Mr. Cruz and Mr. Perry of Texas, Mr. Paul of Kentucky, Mr. Rubio of Florida, Mr. Walker of Wisconsin and former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas.

Also included is a recent speech from Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., who has positioned himself to run in 2016 if Mrs. Clinton falters. Former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida was one of the few major candidates who did not participate; a spokeswoman for him had no comment, but he has signed on to a conservative group’s call for cost-effective alternatives to prison.

While crime has fallen in recent decades, the prison population has risen, although it has plateaued in recent years. More than 2.2 million Americans are behind bars, and a National Research Council study found that the state and federal prison population in 2009 was seven times what it was in 1973. Although the United States makes up less than 5 percent of the world’s population, it has more than 20 percent of its prison population.

The issue has been particularly acute among younger African-American men. Almost one in 12 black men from 25 to 54 are locked up, compared with one in 60 nonblack men in that age group. Many more have been released but have convictions on their records that make it hard to find jobs or vote.

The issue has drawn together an odd-bedfellows coalition of liberals and libertarians seeking bipartisan solutions. Mr. Paul has worked across the aisle with Senator Cory Booker, Democrat of New Jersey, and several other candidates have also been working in this area. In Texas, Mr. Perry diverted some drug offenders to treatment, generating praise from liberals and conservatives alike. Mr. Cruz has signed on to several pieces of legislation to change the system.

“They’re actually all agreeing on mass incarceration,” said Inimai Chettiar, the head of the justice program at the Brennan Center and a co-editor of “Solutions.” “This has now risen to the level where virtually everyone running for president is saying this has to change.”

John Malcolm, the director of the Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies at the Heritage Foundation, said Republicans came from different perspectives. Fiscal conservatives see a drain on public resources; social conservatives are focused on redemption. Others see this as part of scaling back the reach of government.

“There’s just a sense that the pendulum perhaps has swung too far, that there are unintended consequences of overly draconian criminal justice processes,” said Mr. Malcolm, who helped the liberal-leaning Brennan Center recruit Republican candidates to contribute essays.

Mark Holden, a senior vice president and general counsel for Koch Industries, also helped. David H. and Charles G. Koch, the billionaires who have bankrolled Republican causes and candidates, have joined efforts with liberal groups like the Center for American Progress to work on criminal justice changes.

“This is one of those issues that’s exciting because regardless of your political ideology or affiliation, there’s something here for you,” Mr. Holden said.

The essays from the candidates suggested the different perspectives. Mrs. Clinton cited the racial unrest in Ferguson after a white police officer shot a black teenager, an episode that the Republicans generally did not mention. Several of the Republicans, on the other hand, said the changes should include “reining in out-of-control regulatory agencies,” as Mr. Rubio put it, a goal the Democrats did not mention.

Not all Republicans advance the same ideas. Mr. Walker took a more traditionally Republican view by focusing on the impact on crime victims and advocating drug testing in workplaces to head off drug crimes. Mr. Rubio made clear that he opposes legalizing drugs but that disagreement on the issue should not stop broader changes.

But the Republicans clearly were not as worried about appearing soft on crime. “A big, expensive prison system — one that offers no hope for second chances and redemption — is not conservative policy,” Mr. Perry wrote. “Conservative policy is smart on crime.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

a lot of very comfortable middle class white boys itt very happy to play "let's you and him fight" with minorities and the police. yeah, violent revolution is the only way to solve this very serious problem!

what's that? well, you see, i have some diablo to play, otherwise i would, but you know i'm rooting for you guys!

There's a difference between understanding why people riot and telling them to riot, but you seem like kind of a dumbass so :shrug:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
its interesting how many goons come crawling out of various subforums to use the murder of a man in police custody to be sanctimonious about how they are the lesser sheltered white nerd. seems like the most meaningful emotional reaction these goons feel is superiority and a desire to score internet points

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its interesting how many goons come crawling out of various subforums to use the murder of a man in police custody to be sanctimonious about how they are the lesser sheltered white nerd. seems like the most meaningful emotional reaction these goons feel is superiority and a desire to score internet points

These brave templar knights reach out to strike a blow against the insidious powers of cultural marxism and bolshevism that plague our times and you have the gall to demean them?? Pistols at dawn I tell you!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You're telling me all the fine goons that only show up to these threads when riots break out don't have deep concerns about police reform?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hm8wXZmRD8

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Protesting is a PR move. You do it to try to get public opinion to see and sympathize with your issue.

Protesting that turns into a riot is counterproductive. You would be better off not protesting at all.

24 hour news showing the same group throwing rocks and burning cars over and over again, does not create public sympathy for the cause. John Q Public see's young black adults behaving violently, and it reinforces a stereotype. Instead of wondering what would cause people to act like that, he sees the justification for police heavy handedness.

The whole thing is sad.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh my GOD shut UP

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dahn posted:

Protesting is a PR move. You do it to try to get public opinion to see and sympathize with your issue.
That's nice dear.

Peaceful protests do not get covered in the evening news, or at all. They turn to riots only as the last resort, when nothing works.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Protesting doesn't do jack since any amount of inconvenience is "taking it out on people that aren't responsible." If protesters, angry that they are being killed, so much as block a street people get angry and proclaim that they are doing damage to their cause. The only way for protesters to not inconvenience anyone is to be so ineffectual as to not be noticed, thus not changing anything. The fact of the matter is that most of this country is fine with the status quo or don't care enough about it to side against it and are quick to vilify anyone that tries to either shake it up or reacts negatively towards it.

Riots aren't planned events, they are the natural reaction to crippling systematic opression. Everyone knows that riots don't make people sympathetic but they are understandable when you are living under what the people of Baltimore have been dealing with.

MLK posted:

It is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard.

The way to not have riots is to not oppress people and have a functional and fair justice system. Or to not have sports teams.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 28, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

perhaps i wasn't clear before, everyone shut the gently caress up about what you think of the posting in this thread, the only thing worse than bad posting is bad posting about bad posts

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Here are some well trained peace officers

quote:

A disturbing story out of Sacramento: Paul and Suzanne Guzman's car was stolen out of their Fairfield home's driveway—with their 8-year-old son Brock in the backseat. So the Guzmans did what most people would do and called the local police. The boy and car were eventually found, abandoned unharmed, with the help of a family friend who posted about the matter on social media. The cops, meanwhile, were busy pinning Suzanne Guzman to the ground in front of her house.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/23/fairfield-cops-slam-mom-of-kidnapped-son

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yeah guys I am sure these riots will totally turn around the opinion of most people, which is why so many people are totally not complaining that these riots are idiotic and stupid.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

The Real Foogla posted:

That's nice dear.

Peaceful protests do not get covered in the evening news, or at all. They turn to riots only as the last resort, when nothing works.
Of course they get covered. Hell even the BBC was running stories about Freddie Gray and the Baltimore protests before the protests turned violent on Saturday.

People paid attention, suspensions handed out and investigations under way. What exactly was "not working" that required a "last resort" riot for awareness?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The only reason police violence is receiving national attention now is because of the rioting in Ferguson. Those riots were the watershed.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
There just doesn't seem to be much discussion available here. The people in favor of the riots enjoy the catharsis of seeing violence.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Miltank posted:

The only reason police violence is receiving national attention now is because of the rioting in Ferguson. Those riots were the watershed.

Except the media's attention was on Furgeson before the protests got violent and turned into riots. It turned into riots when the officer was not indicted but the media was giving that town nearly 24/7 attention well beforehand.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How dare those thousands and thousands of peaceful protestors not do a better job than the police of stopping a few hundred violent people.

It's almost like maintaining civil order is the job of the government or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Knifegrab posted:

Except the media's attention was on Furgeson before the protests got violent and turned into riots. It turned into riots when the officer was not indicted but the media was giving that town nearly 24/7 attention well beforehand.
The first riots happened a couple days after Brown was shot which is what brought Ferguson into the national media spotlight.

• Locked thread