Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Greeks were never under the authority of the Catholic Church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

That sounds like schismatic talk to me.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No but they were under the authority of Rome, including its Pontifex Maximus etc. And I'm sure that the early bishops of Rome exerted their authority there as in the rest of the empire.

Half continuity, half dumb pedo jokes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There were actually huge fights about pontifical authority for hundreds of years.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone wanting to know whether traditional Three Kingdoms costumes are historically accurate. http://imgur.com/gallery/Ft0l4

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
ew

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

The Orthodox Church is most definitely Catholic, by its own reckoning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Marks_of_the_Church

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 26, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've seen "Greek Catholic" used a couple of times but I think people generally prefer to talk about Orthodox to avoid needless confusion.

Catholic is a Greek word though so you'd think it would've become synonymous with the Greek church rather than the Roman one.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 26, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah I'm just being pedantic. Greek Catholic are churches/dioces that were originally Byzantine Rite / Greek Orthodox that switched allegiance to Rome and still run the Greek liturgy, mostly in the bits of Ukraine/Belarus the Poles were dominant in and in the Middle East

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
You're not even being accurately pedantic, though, since "Catholic Church" used in that context means the Roman church, in the same way that "Orthodox" refers to the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches even though the Catholic Church obviously thinks of itself as being orthodox.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Catholic just means universal, this shouldn't pose any difficulty :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okay let's nip this.

In casual usage, catholic means the Roman Catholic Church in Rome where the Pope does his popery. Orthodox means the Greek church.

In technical accurate usage, both the Roman and Greek churches consider themselves catholic and orthodox.

The more fun thing is both represent still active and lively parts of the Roman government.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Grand Fromage posted:

The more fun thing is both represent still active and lively parts of the Roman government.

So what you're saying is that one day, from the ashes, Rome shall rise again :hist101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

blowfish posted:

So what you're saying is that one day, from the ashes, Rome shall rise again :hist101:

Republic or Imperial? :ohdear:

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Republic or Imperial? :ohdear:

Monarchy, of course.

Initially, I was kidding, but considering "Christ is the King", that actually makes sense.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Commune :anarchists:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fell Fire posted:

Monarchy, of course.

Oh that you were still alive, we need a Brutus! :gonk:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

blowfish posted:

No. What he's saying is that Rome never died. :catholic:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that you were still alive, we need a Brutus! :gonk:

The best part of the early imperial period is watching all the old aristocratic families die out. They were evil, greedy, selfish, reactionary, pieces of poo poo.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So in pre-European Central/South American cultures, were llamas/alpacas handled the same way cows were in Europe at the time? I vaguely remember reading that there were no large meat sources for the aztecs (or mayas or inca?) Why didn't they breed llamas/alpacas en masse? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm confused, are you saying they didn't breed large numbers of llamas? Llamas and alpacas were domesticated between 5 and 7 thousand years ago from their respective wild ancestors. Llama meat would be unusual in an average pre-columbian diet for the same reason beef was unusual in an average old world diet -- llamas and cows are a lot more valuable alive than dead. Sort of moreso for llamas, because they provide wool as well as milk and labor. Alpacas are more wool animals but the same reasoning applies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're lovely draft animals, they're not very strong. I am not sure if they were used for food much. My instinct is there isn't much in the way of grazing land in South America. The most advanced civilization was the Inca, and they're up in crazy rear end mountains. Amazon wouldn't be suitable for that sort of thing. Argentina has a lot of graze land but I suspect that's European created.

This is from a very cursory understanding since I find the Americas super boring.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Grand Fromage posted:

They're lovely draft animals, they're not very strong. I am not sure if they were used for food much. My instinct is there isn't much in the way of grazing land in South America. The most advanced civilization was the Inca, and they're up in crazy rear end mountains. Amazon wouldn't be suitable for that sort of thing. Argentina has a lot of graze land but I suspect that's European created.

This is from a very cursory understanding since I find the Americas super boring.

They were used for carrying things, though, but not on the scale of horses and ox carrying large wagons. Small mountain and jungle trails and all that jazz. They didn't leave South America, though. But llamas are pretty much all there is for pack animals over here pre-Spanish.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Direct comparisons don't work super well. A llama is kind of a mule/sheep/goat/dog sort of animal. It can haul light loads around mountainous terrain, provides decent quality wool every year, is an independent and efficient grazer, produces milk, and can even be a household guard and/or pet animal. It might not be as good at hauling as a mule or as good at producing milk as a cow or as good at learning complex tasks as a dog, but it can do an okay job at all of those things. Of course the pre-columbian new world didn't have those specialized old world domesticated species anyway. The llama was a generalist and still far too useful to just eat. I mean they would eat them, but not on a regular basis.

The alpaca is less useful as a work animal but produces very fine wool so you wouldn't eat your herd unless the food situation was desperate.

everything you ever wanted to know about domesticated camelids

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 28, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

can you just do an efforpost that summarizes that 500 page document

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

Any reasons you have this view on the America's? I'm not very well versed in pre-columbian history but it is my understand that we know very little about them compared to many other civilizations (Thanks Spain!) Do you think if we knew a lot more about them you might be more interested in the subject?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Better records would help. But I think a lot of it is that history classes in the US prior to university focus so heavily on the US and Native Americans that I got sick of hearing about it. I still rarely read any kind of Americas history other than Cold War stuff, since I was always into the USSR.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I shouldn't say US there, it's regional and depends on the school. In my schooling history consisted of basically four topics:

Renaissance art
Native Americans
USA
The Holocaust

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Agean90 posted:

can you just do an efforpost that summarizes that 500 page document

The most economically important products of the alpaca are wool, meat, and leather in that order. Both species yield about 2 kg of wool per year. Llamas yield about 50kg of meat on slaughter, alpacas yield only 20 on average. Llamas are hardy and sure-footed pack animals valued more for labor than for meat or wool. Llamas are still the primary means of portage in terrain inaccessible to motor vehicles.

The Spanish really hosed up (what else is new) the Inca animal husbandry practices and the llama and alpaca nearly went extinct in the 16th century.

Alpaca wool is great, people still go apeshit over it. Llama wool not so much. Both species make decent pets.

The Bactrian camel is a disgrace to life on Earth, and its continued existence as a species is as inexplicable as it is shameful.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 28, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Alpacas are so soft it's adorable.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If it helps, U.S. primary/secondary education of native American history (especially pre-contact) is even more poo poo than the rest of pre-university history education and the real stuff is way better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Llama's do scare the poo poo out of coyotes though apparently. A bunch of people up here keep them on sheep farms basically as guard dogs. The Aztecs would have gotten a kick out of that one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Better records would help. But I think a lot of it is that history classes in the US prior to university focus so heavily on the US and Native Americans that I got sick of hearing about it. I still rarely read any kind of Americas history other than Cold War stuff, since I was always into the USSR.

This was the same way I felt about my history education in Canada, and I'm only in the last few years realizing just how awful it was. Perhaps it's the aversion to teaching things like plague-based societal collapse, colonialism, or straight up genocide; perhaps it's that we genuinely know much more than we did 30-40 years ago, but now I feel really let down by it all. I would love to have been taught more than "Natives were here, Europeans came, there was a fur trade, 7 Years War (North American portion only, I didn't realize it was part of a proto-World War until I left highschool), Confederation, Quebec Sovereignty Issues".

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

PittTheElder posted:

Llama's do scare the poo poo out of coyotes though apparently. A bunch of people up here keep them on sheep farms basically as guard dogs. The Aztecs would have gotten a kick out of that one.

This was the same way I felt about my history education in Canada, and I'm only in the last few years realizing just how awful it was. Perhaps it's the aversion to teaching things like plague-based societal collapse, colonialism, or straight up genocide; perhaps it's that we genuinely know much more than we did 30-40 years ago, but now I feel really let down by it all. I would love to have been taught more than "Natives were here, Europeans came, there was a fur trade, 7 Years War (North American portion only, I didn't realize it was part of a proto-World War until I left highschool), Confederation, Quebec Sovereignty Issues".

I know exactly how you feel. I went through the Quebec education system, and if you go by what was taught back then, you might as well claim there were no Natives in North America. There is literally nothing taught about the history of the natives other than, "They helped us in our wars, then we gave 'em blankets that killed em all. Those that were left were put in reserves and now we own the land. The end."

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Grand Fromage posted:

I shouldn't say US there, it's regional and depends on the school. In my schooling history consisted of basically four topics:

Renaissance art
Native Americans
USA
The Holocaust

So limited, in the UK history consisted of:

There were Romans!
Then there were Vikings or something, I don't know shut up.
Then there were Normans Kings and Queens!
Then were Germans!
Then there were more Germans Nazis!
If you stick with it past that then you get to learn a little about Europe in the 19th century or whatever. I guess there's also some stuff on the Slave trade and the Golden Triangle of British trade.

I should emphasise Germans consist of pretty much the entirety of learning 12-16.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Dalael posted:

Any reasons you have this view on the America's? I'm not very well versed in pre-columbian history but it is my understand that we know very little about them compared to many other civilizations (Thanks Spain!) Do you think if we knew a lot more about them you might be more interested in the subject?

Grand Fromage posted:

I took a Pre-Columbian Mesoamercan art and architecture class in college, and it was one of my favorite classes out of an education of a lot of favorite classes. Turns out we actually do know and/or have figured out quite a bit about them, and it's all fascinating. It was technically an art history class so we did a lot on their visual culture (very unique and striking), but like with a lot of early civs, it's hard to separate art out from politics. I could dig out my textbooks when I get home, if anyone's interested.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

dupersaurus posted:

I could dig out my textbooks when I get home, if anyone's interested.

I'm interested! Anything I can learn about any and all ancient culture is always welcome.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

If it helps, U.S. primary/secondary education of native American history (especially pre-contact) is even more poo poo than the rest of pre-university history education and the real stuff is way better.

My history education during school - Canadian "Social Studies" classes - turned me off history for a long time. We spent probably half our time on Canadian History/Geography, and over that time I learned:

1. First Nations peoples used plants (every plant) for medicine. We never talked about, you know, what sort of problems a plant might be related to - just, uh, medicine. Raspberries? Medicine. Pine bark? Medicine. Lichen? Moss? I don't know, but if asked on a test I definitely would have said "used for medicine". Also, I know exactly one colorful fact about a number of native nations (the Haida make totem poles!)
2. Every Canadian city was founded by someone (since 9th Grade I've had brain space reserved for the fact that Kingston was founded by Lord Frontenac). For every place we also needed to know the name of the first European to visit it (Anthony Henday was the first European to visit Red Deer!)
3. Louis Riel was a "controversial figure", who we would later find out was involved in the "complicated" Red River Rebellion, on which there are many perspectives. We were not told any of the perspectives.
4. There were 3 or 4 battles in World War II, involving pretty much just Germany and Canada. Canada was super baller, so Dutch people love us.
5. John A MacDonald was the first Prime Minister.
6. Politics is kind of a number line going from freedom hating Communists to freedom hating Fascists, with normal people in the middle.

God I would have loved some ancient history.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

jmzero posted:

My history education during school - Canadian "Social Studies" classes - turned me off history for a long time. We spent probably half our time on Canadian History/Geography, and over that time I learned:

1. First Nations peoples used plants (every plant) for medicine. We never talked about, you know, what sort of problems a plant might be related to - just, uh, medicine. Raspberries? Medicine. Pine bark? Medicine. Lichen? Moss? I don't know, but if asked on a test I definitely would have said "used for medicine". Also, I know exactly one colorful fact about a number of native nations (the Haida make totem poles!)
2. Every Canadian city was founded by someone (since 9th Grade I've had brain space reserved for the fact that Kingston was founded by Lord Frontenac). For every place we also needed to know the name of the first European to visit it (Anthony Henday was the first European to visit Red Deer!)
3. Louis Riel was a "controversial figure", who we would later find out was involved in the "complicated" Red River Rebellion, on which there are many perspectives. We were not told any of the perspectives.
4. There were 3 or 4 battles in World War II, involving pretty much just Germany and Canada. Canada was super baller, so Dutch people love us.
5. John A MacDonald was the first Prime Minister.
6. Politics is kind of a number line going from freedom hating Communists to freedom hating Fascists, with normal people in the middle.

God I would have loved some ancient history.

Yeah.. That sounds about right. Did your teacher use the words "Stormtroopers of the British Empire" when describing Canadian soldiers? Mine did. Now why would someone use a reference to a group of people who are notoriously bad at shooting while trying to claim Canada has the best soldiers, I will never understand. :confused:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

One of the best decisions I made in k-12 schooling was to ignore my history classes and teach myself. Turns out it's not very hard to know more history than history teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It seems like the one universal aspect of every history thread is that everyone's history education pre-college/university was somehow poo poo.