Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

zedprime posted:

As not a geologist I can confirm with 100% accuracy that this is exactly how instability works after an earthquake.

It makes sense insofar as "avalanches that would have been caused by minor snow shifts have been shaken loose".

It just ignores the idea of more snow falling, aftershocks, and looking like a complete twat regardless of your stated goal of "doing it for Nepal", so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How does he intend to get past the ice fall?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

dad gay. so what posted:

at least they died doing what they loved. :(

Screaming in terror

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I considered going this year, but decided against it. That's 52 years in a row.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

genesplicer posted:

I considered going this year, but decided against it. That's 52 years in a row.

My goal is to see Everest base camp, which is pretty accessible from the Tibetan side. And I want to go to Tibet, so that works out.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Cojawfee posted:

The article doesn't detail that, but I'll ferry any future updates to the thread. He seems pleased at the national attention, so I'm sure I'll hear more about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is Everest visible from base camp? I know there are parts of the climb where you can't see the top. If you can see the summit from base camp, I might visit some day.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is Everest visible from base camp? I know there are parts of the climb where you can't see the top. If you can see the summit from base camp, I might visit some day.

On the Tibetan side, yes. It's a day trip to get there from some major cities (major for Tibet).

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Cojawfee posted:

Probably helicopter again. Then make his Sherpa take all the equipment by traversing the Icefall multiple times in the middle of aftershocks.

Honestly, he can do what he wants, but it seems rather cheap to try and make what is clearly a selfish goal (summitting Everest) and trying to somehow make it like he is doing it for everyone! Considering that there were more permits issued this year than last despite the fact that climbers didn't even make it onto the mountain last year, I somehow doubt that some random team making it to the summit this year will make a bit of difference. I am sure tragedy befalling on the mountain for the second year in a row will only encourage more climbers and thrill seekers from the news exposure, and film crews looking to capitalize on the media attention. Plus I am sure that there will be a push both internationally and from within Nepal to try and encourage tourism and investment in the country. Nurturing the climbing and hiking expeditions is obviously a huge part of that. I keep wondering if the money he would be spending to try a second push to the summit would be better spent trying to actually help people in Kathmandu or Nepal in general.

I was going to make an unrelated comment about that 17-year old Australian girl, but then I realized that I don't even know if she was one of people who died at base camp. Felt bad about possibly making GBS threads on the dream of a dead girl. Which is weird cause I didn't feel so bad about it for the Canadian woman. Although I did typically avoid making too much fun.

Edit: Looks like she is OK! And her father thinks she will attempt again. It seems she has downgraded her dream to just be the youngest Australian to summit, and she has like another 2 or 3 years as the youngest Australian to summit was 21 years old at the time.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/toowoomba-teen-alyssa-azar-survives-nepal-earthqua/2618894/

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 28, 2015

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

only selfish assholes care about climbing everest. thats what the schadenfreude itt is all about

even the sherpas are getting rich letting foreigners poo poo all over their mountain god for money. im glad that even primitive geological deities can still get theirs in tyool 2015

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I had put this thread off to the side at the end of the season last year, and just today I decided it to pick it up. It was kind of like reading a novel, seeing the 'death pool' and wondering how it was going to play out.

I've only been in a small earthquake before (DC 2011 and it was pretty scary). That video of the 7.9 was pretty intense.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Did anyone summit naked?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gripen5 posted:

I was going to make an unrelated comment about that 17-year old Australian girl, but then I realized that I don't even know if she was one of people who died at base camp. Felt bad about possibly making GBS threads on the dream of a dead girl. Which is weird cause I didn't feel so bad about it for the Canadian woman. Although I did typically avoid making too much fun.

Edit: Looks like she is OK! And her father thinks she will attempt again. It seems she has downgraded her dream to just be the youngest Australian to summit, and she has like another 2 or 3 years as the youngest Australian to summit was 21 years old at the time.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/toowoomba-teen-alyssa-azar-survives-nepal-earthqua/2618894/

Unfortunately the youngest non-sherpa to summit is now a 13 year old girl, so at this point trying to beat that record is just stupid. Any lower and it's just child abuse. 13 is pretty dodgy as it is.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angela Christine posted:

Unfortunately the youngest non-sherpa to summit is now a 13 year old girl, so at this point trying to beat that record is just stupid. Any lower and it's just child abuse. 13 is pretty dodgy as it is.

I'm sure some pregnant women already went and gave her child brain damage from oxygen deprivation

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

13 isn't "pretty dodgy," it's reckless endangerment of a child. There's a reason why children aren't allowed to make their own medical decisions, have sex with adults, or own guns; they can't give informed consent, are easily manipulated by authority figures, and lack the experience and maturity to make decisions that directly endanger the lives of others if they're wrong.

Anyone going up Everest needs to be able to give informed consent; and children tend to believe they're indestructible.

I would argue that anyone involved in allowing a 13-year-old to attempt to summit Everest should be prosecuted.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

13 isn't "pretty dodgy," it's reckless endangerment of a child. There's a reason why children aren't allowed to make their own medical decisions, have sex with adults, or own guns; they can't give informed consent, are easily manipulated by authority figures, and lack the experience and maturity to make decisions that directly endanger the lives of others if they're wrong.

Anyone going up Everest needs to be able to give informed consent; and children tend to believe they're indestructible.

I would argue that anyone involved in allowing a 13-year-old to attempt to summit Everest should be prosecuted.

You might be surprised by this but different cultures have different feelings about how old someone needs to be to make certain decisions.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

prinneh posted:

Nobody knows whether there are more earth- or after quakes in the coming days, but if there isn’t, Carsten Lillelund Pedersen believes that it might be safe to attempt the summit soon. “The quakes have already set off a bunch of avalanches and has, therefore, taken care of some of the worst dangers”, he says, adding “So the avalanches we might have had in the coming couple of weeks have already been ‘sprung’.”.

In a previous interview two days after the earthquake hit nepal, he stated “I’ll stay as long as it takes to summit.”

LOL yeah, there totally wont be any more aftershocks. All done now. You'll be fine.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm sure some pregnant women already went and gave her child brain damage from oxygen deprivation

This woman has already done that. Sort of.

Her son that she was pregnant with at the time is now a climber too!

PS She ended up dead on K2

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

You might be surprised by this but different cultures have different feelings about how old someone needs to be to make certain decisions.

I'm not surprised at all, and in fact was about 80% sure someone would mention it immediately.

I can buy an argument for a 16-year old, in a culture where 16-year-olds have serious adult responsibilities, and the culture trains and supports them to take such responsibilities on.

13 though, no. There is a broad gray area, and 13 is outside of it. At least where Everest summits are concerned. The decision to risk your life in such an extravagantly dangerous way, in pursuit of... what. A record? Don't give me something about challenge or sweeping vistas or some horseshit like that, because challenges and sweeping vistas are available at much, much, much lower risk (and cost), both to the 13-year-old, and to the people around them whose lives are at risk just to get the 13-year-old up to the high camps on Everest.

I'm OK with assisted suicide, so if idiots want to try the Everest summit without exploiting Sherpas, that's OK with me. They're still idiots, but whatever, it's their lives to spend as they please. They're probably also disregarding the families and friends they're going to leave behind if they die, but again, that's a personal matter that I can sneer about but I wouldn't want there to be actual laws stopping them on that basis or something.

But I'm not OK with recklessly endangering children, and there's no amount of cultural relativity that prepares a 13-year-old child to give informed consent to such a thing.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Remember the 14 yo girl who wanted to be the youngest person to climb everest, wrote a book about her "lifelong dream" then couldn't climb because the Sherpas hosed off last year, then a 13 yo climbed from the Chinese side

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So can that guy claim to be the youngest person to climb the Eiger north face?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

PostNouveau posted:

Well all the realistic numbers are taken, so I guess I'll go with a huge avalanche hits Camp 1 and kills 18. I hope the tide is turning against the standard practices that keep getting people killed, and maybe the expedition leaders will take care and only take a reasonable number of qualified climbers up.

/\ god drat you were close

Anyway here's the current standings! If I've missed you please let me know (sorry I got caught up in a new job):

But seriously please donate to the Nepal earthquake. 4,600 people who aren't retarded glory-seekers actually died and they actually deserve our sympathy.

17 Picnic Princess, ranbo das, Sanguinary Novel (15 climbers, 2 sherpas)
18 The Great Burrito, Varkk, whiteyfats (14 climbers, 4 sherpas), Ars Arcanum (I admit I hosed up and probably didn't count 18 right, but we're going to be above that anyway)
19 gggiiimmmppp (all climbers), monster on a stick, Chicken Doodle
20 Daedra, Triple-Kan (midgets are people too), bensnotacat
21 zzuupp, bucksmash, Ursine Asylum
22 BaronVonVaderham (5 sherpas 17 climbers), Mudcrab Merchant, Soup du Jour
23 LITERALLY SHAKING, Teketeketeketeke, eating only apples
26 Leperflesh, Stoat, Germstore
28 PresidentBeard
29 Otakufag, Topher87
30 donar (all climbers)
34 Gehenomm (all climbers)
35 rotinaj
41 Josef K. Sourdust
162 Happy Hedonist
7,025,000,000 Butt Wizard

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 29, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Remember the 14 yo girl who wanted to be the youngest person to climb everest, wrote a book about her "lifelong dream" then couldn't climb because the Sherpas hosed off last year, then a 13 yo climbed from the Chinese side

I think she was 17, and if she's there this year, man she must be out like 200,000 dollars. Probably double that because a parent must be with her.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wow, PostNouveau's thought was prescient.

On the other hand, it sounds like there were over a hundred climbers at Camp 1 or 2 when the earthquake happened, suggesting that no, the tide has not turned against the standard practices that keep getting people killed, at all. Those climbers were not up there for summit attempts, they're just making acclimatization climbs (normally climbers go back and forth from base camp to camps 1/2 several times before making a summit attempt) but it's obvious that the guide companies are still not cooperatively ensuring that there isn't a conga line of hundreds of climbers piling up at bottlenecks all up and down the mountain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

I think she was 17, and if she's there this year, man she must be out like 200,000 dollars. Probably double that because a parent must be with her.

People who had permits for last year were (eventually) allowed to go this year on last year's permits. So she's probably only out the one permit. That's a big chunk of the money.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Everest is closed on the Nepalese side for the season:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/international/asia/2015/04/following_nepal_quake_climbers_say_everest_season_is_over

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

why?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Look at these selfish bastards. Not even willing to summit "for nepal".

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

There was an earthquake.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

loving pussies

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dj_clawson posted:

My goal is to see Everest base camp, which is pretty accessible from the Tibetan side. And I want to go to Tibet, so that works out.

I had a professor in college who was an amateur mountaineer his whole life, and the most he cared to do was trek from the tibetan side, to base camp, to the nepali side. Said it was a pretty brutal trek and erased any desire he had to summit a 8000m peak.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I had a professor in college who was an amateur mountaineer his whole life, and the most he cared to do was trek from the tibetan side, to base camp, to the nepali side. Said it was a pretty brutal trek and erased any desire he had to summit a 8000m peak.

gently caress that I'm renting a jeep.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

dj_clawson posted:

gently caress that I'm renting a jeep.

it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to climb a jeep

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
drive it into a ditch first and it's even easier. then you can go get a real car

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not surprised at all, and in fact was about 80% sure someone would mention it immediately.

I can buy an argument for a 16-year old, in a culture where 16-year-olds have serious adult responsibilities, and the culture trains and supports them to take such responsibilities on.

13 though, no. There is a broad gray area, and 13 is outside of it. At least where Everest summits are concerned. The decision to risk your life in such an extravagantly dangerous way, in pursuit of... what. A record? Don't give me something about challenge or sweeping vistas or some horseshit like that, because challenges and sweeping vistas are available at much, much, much lower risk (and cost), both to the 13-year-old, and to the people around them whose lives are at risk just to get the 13-year-old up to the high camps on Everest.

I'm OK with assisted suicide, so if idiots want to try the Everest summit without exploiting Sherpas, that's OK with me. They're still idiots, but whatever, it's their lives to spend as they please. They're probably also disregarding the families and friends they're going to leave behind if they die, but again, that's a personal matter that I can sneer about but I wouldn't want there to be actual laws stopping them on that basis or something.

But I'm not OK with recklessly endangering children, and there's no amount of cultural relativity that prepares a 13-year-old child to give informed consent to such a thing.

But... they're accomplishing something, lazy goons. Don't you dare make fun of the :homebrew: rich assholes your betters doing something with their lives.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
You must be old enough to touch a dick in america before you may summit the mountain

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You must be old enough to touch a dick in america before you may summit the mountain

:agreed:

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Sherpa lives matter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZombieLenin posted:

But... they're accomplishing something, lazy goons. Don't you dare make fun of the :homebrew: rich assholes your betters doing something with their lives.

LOL, the 13 year old girl wasn't even rich. Her last name is POORna.

http://www.people.com/article/13-year-old-indian-girl-climbs-mount-everest-youngest-ever-malavath-poorna

quote:

A 13-year-old Indian girl, raised in poverty as the daughter of farm workers, has become the youngest person to reach Mount Everest's summit.

Malavath Poorna, who lives in a small tribal village and learned to climb at her school, completed the dangerous Himalayan mountaineering journey on May 25 at the age of 13 years, 11 months – just one month younger than the previous record-setter, an American boy who made the climb in 2010, the BBC reports.

Her record-breaking climb comes just a month after 16 sherpa guides died in the famed peak's deadliest avalanche ever.
"When I reached the top, I felt too much emotion, too much joy," the teen tells PEOPLE via phone as she describes being overcome with awe after scaling the world's highest mountain, at 29,029 feet. "All around me, beauty – mountains, sunshine, clouds. I could feel God there. I was grateful and too happy."

A major challenge of the expedition, she says, was not the cold or discomfort but the packaged food they had to consume.

"I did not like its smell or taste," she explained. "I [wanted] to go home and eat my mother's food."

But perhaps most terrifying on her ascent was passing the remains of those climbers who did not make it.

"I saw six dead bodies," she told reporters at a press conference in New Delhi on Friday. "I was shocked. Oh, my god!"

But she soldiered forth bravely as she thought about her school and her family. "I got some fear and immediately I remember my secretary, my parents … and I got my courage and strength, energy," she said.

Her school, a part of the Andhra Pradesh Social Welfare Residential Educational Institutions, trained Poorna and several other students from her region for the climb.

When she returns home in a few days from the Indian capital, Poorna plans to catch up on the schoolwork she's missed, she tells PEOPLE. She'd eventually like to become a law-enforcement official in homage to a retired policeman who introduced her and other schoolchildren to mountaineering.

"When I finish my studies, I want to join the police because [of him]," she says. "It will be my thank-you to him for changing my life."

I bet the 17 year old australian was really mad about a charity case beating her to the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder how her school would have explained things to her parents if she'd died.

Did nobody even warn her about the bodies?

• Locked thread