Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Oxphocker posted:

Much interest but has been there since august? That means it's been sitting on the lot over 6 months...

Overall, no major defects that I can think of, but it's still worth taking it to a Volvo mechanic you trust to look it over first. You could probably try to negotiate a lower price if it's been sitting that long but KBB sets a range of $28k-$30k for a model you mentioned with that kind of mileage. If you're set on that model, try for $27k out the door and see what they have to say, if they easily cave, then you know it's been sitting there a while or something's up with it and they want to get rid of it. If they hold firm, then it's possible they might actually have a lot of lookers at it and might be trying to get the most out of it, but since they already have it at the lower range of the KBB estimate, it seems a bit odd.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a dealership checking out and negotioating on a 2013 V70 Momentum D3 for my dad, and the dealer was a drat stonewall. I managed to get some info from his colleague that the car has been there for 6 months, and added that as an argument for why they should sell it. He got a bit rattled and said that it can stay here for another 6 months. Needless to say I declined his over priced car and left. 2 days later we found a 2014 V70 Summum D3, with 25k km less, only been out for a year, got winter tyres and rims that are pretty much brand new, and it wasn't that much more expensive... only catch was that I had to go for a 3h train ride to get there but it was pretty nice.

...and holy hell is it comfortable to drive. I drove it down for 3½ hours straight, and I just got out of the car like it was nothing. I'm amazed at how well the D3 performs as well. It has a nice sound as well. Mileage is great as well.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm looking at getting a tow hitch for my 2004 v70(2.5T auto) so I can haul around motorcycles and other crap under 1500 lbs. Should I get an auxillary transmission fluid cooler or can that bit going through the radiator handle that little bit of towing stress? Also, any recommendations? I've done a little looking and I've seen people using trans coolers off of XC90s for their cars.

I wouldn't think so. I pulled a roughly 2500 pound trailer across a mountain range in my 95 850 non-turbo auto a few years back with no heat issues. Admittedly a different transmission, but i think the need for transmission coolers is often overstated.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat, doesn't clean up too shabbily for ~31 year old paint

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Still considering which Volvo to get... The toss-up is between a V70 or an XC60.

On my short test-drive of the XC60, I found the suspension a bit harsh on worn-down paved roads, and I think the V70 coped better.
If I spec the XC60 with the Four-C adjustable suspension, would the Comfort mode be softer than the standard suspension? Anyone knows?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
update on the v70r: currently going through the Longest Buying Process In the World.

first shipper (o/o) told me he decided to take a car dolly instead of a flatbed so he wouldn't be able to tow my car. second shipper bid for my thing that said "pickup is only on monday or friday of next week as that is the only time the seller can arrange the pickup", then said "oh I can't promise that" so now unless someone accepts my offer for friday pickup between today and tomorrow I'll just come down to san diego to get it anyway and drive it back up with ATF top-ups.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Of course, now that I've posted that, a shipper comes through :toot:

What are some things to do when the transengnaxle assembly is out of the car that the mechanic won't be bothered by? in terms of "what's coming out anyway and requires no labor time to replace with something better".

Poly engine mounts? Slightly better flowing "Japan" manifold? 4T4 turbo??

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

atomicthumbs posted:

Of course, now that I've posted that, a shipper comes through :toot:

What are some things to do when the transengnaxle assembly is out of the car that the mechanic won't be bothered by? in terms of "what's coming out anyway and requires no labor time to replace with something better".

Poly engine mounts? Slightly better flowing "Japan" manifold? 4T4 turbo??

If you pull the whole motor, then all that is easier to change while it's out of the car. Steering rack and sway bar too. If you're at all interested in an upgrade front sway bar, do it now.

Otherwise it's the standard stuff - Rear main seal, transmission shaft seals, coolant hoses, a few other things like that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sent by shipper:

:toot:

gonna have to figure out how to get those UCLA stickers off :v:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I had the same problem when I got mine...but it was east coast stickers..

A razor blade and Goo Gone will get most of the stickers/residue off, if that doesn't work...take it in for a full detail and ask them to remove them as part of it. Most places will.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

sent by shipper:

Looking good. Can't wait to see you get it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

sent by shipper:

Oh man, it's finally happening :D

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for your help guys. I ended up passing on the XC70 and got an Outback.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

sent by shipper:

Man, that looks really nice. One tranny seal and it's fine? That guy should have just had a shop fix it.

How much did the shipping end up costing? Was I way off with my estimate?

Stickers on glass come off with a razor. It's stickers on paint that suck.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Man, that looks really nice. One tranny seal and it's fine? That guy should have just had a shop fix it.

How much did the shipping end up costing? Was I way off with my estimate?

Stickers on glass come off with a razor. It's stickers on paint that suck.

He got a quote of ~$1500 from his mechanic and that was the tipping point, as he wanted something bigger for his family.

Shipping was $490, plus uShip service charges.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Glad you're finally getting your R athumbs :yayclod:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

He got a quote of ~$1500 from his mechanic and that was the tipping point, as he wanted something bigger for his family.

Shipping was $490, plus uShip service charges.

Man, that's not bad. Think I paid around a grand to ship the last car I bought from southern California to Texas.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

gently caress

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

just kidding

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

just kidding

:cheers: :dance:

Congratulations man!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sweet! Is it everything you dreamed it would be?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The only thing I can find wrong about it is that the check engine light came on. That and the smell of hot transmission fluid after I drive it, but the leak seems to be stable. It's comfortable, fast, handles well, and holds a bunch of stuff (the back is full of crossbars/ski holders/bike holder/spare parts/the special tool what holds the serpentine belt in place while you change it/etc).

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.
This is almost too good to be true and it looks well taken care of.

http://www.gomaxautosale.com/2004_Volvo_V70%20R_Panorama%20City_CA_250983130.veh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

r things

• yesterday was the first time anyone, much less a pair of people, have turned their heads to look at my car as it approaches them from behind
  • understeer
  • I can fit diagonally in the cargo area with the rear seats folded and the tailgate shut
  • heated seats that actually work are god's gift to man
  • my left fog light is out. this obviously means it's time to replace both of them with PIAA LED conversion fogs
  • right rear courtesy lamp is out. this obviously means it's time to replace every interior bulb with LEDs
  • instrument cluster temp/speedo lamp is out. this obviously means it's time to replace everything behind the dashboard with LEDs
  • check engine light on?? gotta get scan tool and/or bluetooth OBDII adapter to figure that out. maybe something got jostled in transit
  • Why the hell would they make the top of the OBDII port flush with the center console lid when shut
  • tuned my SC-901's custom equalizer setting to output Earth at the proper intensity, but using a tape adapter still sucks. not sure I want to pay $$$ for a USA-SPEC thing, though
  • car makes extremely good noises, like vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and psheeeeeew
  • understeer

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

r things

• understeer
  • understeer

Lowering springs and track spec sway bars (25mm F 28mm R) will make that thing stick to the road UNTIL you are turning so hard it just slightly hangs the back end out. I experienced this on Sunday in a buddy's car, he turned way faster and harder than I ever would.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The mechanic said he'd do the front sway bar with the transmission seal for 20-25 minutes of labor, so I think I'm gonna get a set of iPd 25/22 bars somehow. Apparently the track spec bars aren't available for AWD models?

e: I'd rather not lower it any further since I'm already afraid of scraping it on things after being used to my 940's "ignore curbs and parking barriers" clearance. I'm thinking of ordering the AWD engine skid cage that a few parts places still apparently sell.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 22, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Most lowering spring sets barely drop the front at all, but slam the back down level with it. Basically exactly what everyone wants.

I forgot, track spec for the R is no longer offered new but you can get 'em used. The car in question next to my C70:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Does that involve replacing the Nivomats, or augmenting them?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oh poo poo, I forgot you're talking about the older R. I got your username mixed up with someone who has an 04 R.

Yeah lowering it requires you get or make drop bolts for the nivomat shock, totally different than what I'm talking about.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I had someone read and reset my CEL code.

Does the barometric pressure sensor have any significant purpose other than "sense when sensor has failed and throw code"

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It's there to help the ECU compensate for altitude changes, I think. It's not that critical but it should be super easy to get a replacement from a junkyard car if you want-it's under the passenger side hood latch and it's only held in with one or two bolts.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

LloydDobler posted:

The car in question next to my C70:

Is that the guy that was fabricating a custom-made sport kit for the VR? I think I saw his thread on SS. I like his oversized emblem.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Freshly washed:

....and of course I discover this on rear passanger door. 2cm (0.7 inches) long, ruler straight. There also is a pen diameter size bit of cracked paint roughly 30cm further to the front. No idea if they are related though. Al least there is no dent at all. No note neither.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

netwerk23 posted:

Is that the guy that was fabricating a custom-made sport kit for the VR? I think I saw his thread on SS. I like his oversized emblem.

Yep, that's my friend Brett. He pretty much runs the local Volvo club chapter, he's obsessed with Volvo. It's one of the truck emblems from Ebay, just a bit smaller than the modern ones so it fits the R.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

LloydDobler posted:

Yep, that's my friend Brett. He pretty much runs the local Volvo club chapter, he's obsessed with Volvo. It's one of the truck emblems from Ebay, just a bit smaller than the modern ones so it fits the R.

Cool, I have front winglets on mine. I would love if he offered FRP molded copies of his sides, for a reasonable price of course. Rear skirt, maybe, sides for sure.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Check out what he's actually doing and see if you'd like it.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?226240-2005-V70R-Body-Kit-I-m-Making-From-an-S60R-One

Basically there are two ways to get side skirts, one is to buy two sets of S60 skirts, cut them the right length with a joint in the middle, the other is what he's doing - grinding the door notch longer, and making up the short front space with a mud flap.

He found a fiberglass rear skirt but it hasn't arrived yet, links to that are in the thread. He'll report on quality when he gets it. It was fairly affordable, I think under $200 shipped from Europe.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

THIS  SHOULD  NOT  BE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4HXw7DI68

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Argh...got a VIDA/DICE question...

Bought a DICE with 2014D copy of VIDA. Installed it on Win7 machine with Internet Explorer 11. Hooked everything up, get active lights on everything except Bluetooth. But when I load up VIDA and go to vehicle specs, where the communication unit drop down should be I get an x box like a broken image/link. Even trying to manually set the vehicle specs, diagnostics won't light up because it can't find the DICE unit. Ran DICE diagnostics and everything checked out.

Anyone have ideas?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Google your exact problem, there are some funky things you have to do sometimes to get a particular pc to recgonize it. Even legit volvo customers have those kinds of problems.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
bricks with tractor motors.....from hell: https://youtu.be/F1QmS_1t4oc?list=PLVyRAt2cxbxvXAuXpX9gNF0s5y938Ji4O

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Oxphocker posted:

Argh...got a VIDA/DICE question...

Bought a DICE with 2014D copy of VIDA. Installed it on Win7 machine with Internet Explorer 11. Hooked everything up, get active lights on everything except Bluetooth. But when I load up VIDA and go to vehicle specs, where the communication unit drop down should be I get an x box like a broken image/link. Even trying to manually set the vehicle specs, diagnostics won't light up because it can't find the DICE unit. Ran DICE diagnostics and everything checked out.

Anyone have ideas?

My #1 advice is the .NET framework - my copy of 2013A on Win7/32 worked with .NET 2.0 and 3.5 but absolutely did not work with 4.5.1 or later. You can uninstall 4.5.1 without much risk of other stuff breaking, unless you have .NET apps of course. I think I'm using whatever version of IE is current too.

By accident I updated to 4.5.1 and IE behaved the same way. Uninstall and reboot fixed it.