Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Trent's selling his house

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/04/nine_inch_nails_frontman_trent_reznor_selling_sleek_bev_crest_house_for_4495m.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm gonna need to take out a loan :v:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
sooooo is Reznor scaling up or scaling down?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

echronorian posted:

He's probably moving to Cupertino or thereabouts to help with the Apple/Beats music player.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

echronorian posted:

He's running out of places he can hide his stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey! Everything is not OK!

The movers lost some boxes along the way.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Getting a little erratic here and I don't know where to live

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My home is getting smaller every day yay yay yay yay

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inspector_666 posted:

He's running out of places he can hide his stuff.

Things, well... Things, they tend to accumulate.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
The really sad part is that if he *is* moving to Cupertino, the sale price of his old house will get him a 3 bed/2 and-a-half bath house with barely a back yard.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stryder posted:

The really sad part is that if he *is* moving to Cupertino, the sale price of his old house will get him a 3 bed/2 and-a-half bath house with barely a back yard.

Don't worry man, he will SURVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE.

Everything.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Considering NIN is having its first merch sale in whenever, I'd assume 5 of Trent's bedrooms were filled with Starfucker Ts and he's having a fire sale.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

magiccarpet posted:

Considering NIN is having its first merch sale in whenever, I'd assume 5 of Trent's bedrooms were filled with Starfucker Ts and he's having a fire sale.

The world rejected them.
The world threw them away.
The world never liked that song.
Now they'll have less to pay.
Burned.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Martin Gore from Depeche Mode has an ambient record out that sounds a bit like records that win oscars nowadays

https://soundcloud.com/muterecords/mg-europa-hymn-official-audio

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So tonight I finally watched And All That Could Have Been for the first time. I know: some NIN fan, right? I own Beside You In Time and have seen it multiple times, but for whatever reason, I've been a NIN fan for nearly a decade and I had never seen AATCHB until tonight. I got the DVD used (but in very good condition) from Amazon since it seems to be out of print.

It's better than Beside You In Time. I don't know why but I wasn't expecting that at all. I guess I figured by the time BYIT was recorded, they'd worked out more of the kinks and their stage show had gotten stronger. Not so! Not that I think BYIT is bad now that I've seen AATCHB, but they seemed to have way more energy in AATCHB. and somehow Trent's vocals on every single song sound better than they do in their respective album versions. This was recorded back when he was still hitting high notes and it rules. Nowadays he doesn't (can't?) and the songs that have them originally suffer a bit live as a result. But yeah, in AATCHB, he seems to be at the top of his game vocally. And wasn't this recorded at the height of his addiction? I guess that didn't get in the way of him performing, or not as much as it could have at least.

It's not like I'm feeling disappointed by the NIN shows I've seen, not at all. They're still some of my favorite live shows I've ever been to. But after watching this, man, I really would have liked to have been in attendance for the Fragility tour. It looks like a loving amazing thing to have witnessed.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah AATCHB holds up. Be sure to check out the easter eggs with Manson. I also think the audio is mixed the best out of all NIN's live performances, but probably only because it has a lot of overdubs. I remember Trent saying BYIT didn't need any or as much because the band performed so well live.

Too bad it will probably never get released in HD.

You could say NIN was at its prime during that era, despite Trent probably being strung out most of the time.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 3, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But yeah, in AATCHB, he seems to be at the top of his game vocally. And wasn't this recorded at the height of his addiction? I guess that didn't get in the way of him performing, or not as much as it could have at least.

It's not like I'm feeling disappointed by the NIN shows I've seen, not at all. They're still some of my favorite live shows I've ever been to. But after watching this, man, I really would have liked to have been in attendance for the Fragility tour. It looks like a loving amazing thing to have witnessed.

I still feel really lucky to have seen NiN at the second to last show on this recent tour. Everyone's performance had an air of importance like maybe it was the second to last time they all play these songs and it was very satisfying for a long term fan like me.

Not entirely related to your post but I am feeling pains with the total lack of prospects on new music and shows.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 3, 2015

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Where the hell is the Tension Blu-Ray?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

Too bad it will probably never get released in HD.

I thought it was shot on either tape or SD digital, and therefore there's basically no way to make it look any better than it already does? The same issue that Closure had?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Tran posted:

Where the hell is the Tension Blu-Ray?
There's been no new news about that in months :smithicide:

TheJoker138 posted:

I thought it was shot on either tape or SD digital, and therefore there's basically no way to make it look any better than it already does? The same issue that Closure had?
Yeah the end credits say they shot it entirely on miniDV.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah I figured this was the case. So much stuff from the 90s and early 2000s trapped in SD forever :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah I figured this was the case. So much stuff from the 90s and early 2000s trapped in SD forever :(

As long as the audio's great though, right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Y'all, With Teeth came out exactly 10 years ago today. I feel old :negative:

Some of my first real exposure to NIN (besides hearing Closer and Head Like A Hole on the radio) was my best friend at the time playing this album all the time right when it came out, so I knew it pretty well after hearing it a bunch of times of him playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkUrZvbh9bU

Happy birthday, Awithuhh Teethuhh!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Today is Trent's 50th birthday :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS4oo0H3Aa8

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-trailer-wants-you-to-unleash-/1100-6427501/

Trent's kids are getting a pony. Also this sounds like a remix I haven't heard yet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
From Apple's WWDC developer conference:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
It's going to be another U2 situation, but backwards this time.

Every iPhone running the new iOS will have Trent's personal phone number automatically added to their address book.

"Siri, call Trent."

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
The ashes and debris
And all that's left of me
Not answering

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mogomra posted:

It's going to be another U2 situation, but backwards this time.

Every iPhone running the new iOS will have Trent's personal phone number automatically added to their address book.

"Siri, call Trent."

I would probably buy an iPhone then.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I would probably buy an iPhone then.

I'm jumping from Android if this is the case

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This is only tangentially related to NIN, there's a movie about Brian Wilson that's out called Love & Mercy and the original music and sound design is being done by Atticus Ross, including recreations of Wilson's auditory hallucinations, which from little I saw looks really dope.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zs0uHHoSw

How could you turn me into this?
After you just taught me how to curate..................you
I told you I'd never say goodbye
Now I'm broke from the membership you made me buy

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

axleblaze posted:

This is only tangentially related to NIN, there's a movie about Brian Wilson that's out called Love & Mercy and the original music and sound design is being done by Atticus Ross, including recreations of Wilson's auditory hallucinations, which from little I saw looks really dope.

Yeah, I saw it last week and the score is pretty cool. A lot of it is collages of little snippets of Beach Boys songs. Pretty trippy, probably more interesting if you know the source material well, but I'm sure it's a far-out listen even if you don't.

And I'd say it's more than tangentially related to NIN-- Atticus Ross is the longest serving member of the band besides Trent Reznor at this point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new Apple Music app apparently hasn't fixed the problem where there's no way to collapse albums within an artist, so you have to scroll through every single song on every single album, sorted by date, to find specific songs.

Trent, why have you forsaken me?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Seems legit, but also a lot like what that dumb Tidal thing is/was trying to do. Having the iTunes catalog tips things in their favor a bit I guess?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That whole video actually seems like a calculated "gently caress you" to Tidal to me, actually. Tidal came out with it's whole "hey, it's to support the artists!" thing, but was founded by Jay Z and had Beyonce as the spokeswoman. If anyone doesn't need any more loving money it's those two. I think they're probably gonna be just fine even with the smaller cut that Spotify was giving them. So the whole thing came off as a "poor little rich boy" thing.

This on the other hand specifically pointed out "hey, when we say we are supporting the artists more, we aren't just talking about people who are already rich, we also mean that we're going to treat smaller, independent artists well." That goes a long way for me to actually getting me on board with the idea.

Also from what they're saying over in the iOS apps thread, it sounds like in addition to the Spotify stuff, and the radio stuff, it's also going to be doing all the stuff iTunes Match did. Which means you will be able to upload all the music that isn't in their streaming catalog but you have in your library into the cloud, and still be able to access it from anywhere without actually having to have it synced onto your phone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sure, but on the other hand, the guy they put the spotlight on doesn't exist (in a manner of speaking).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
This isn't news or anything, but spongeh in the Early FPS thread in Games posted this:

spongeh posted:

One of the things I've found in the dev archives for Quake 1, and that I wish I could release, is roughly 11 straight minutes of Trent making Quake Guy jumping and pain noises. Every few minutes you'll hear a noise that was actually used and it sticks out like a sore thumb, it's kind of weird.

I had no idea Trent was Quake Guy too. Pretty cool!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mogomra posted:

This isn't news or anything, but spongeh in the Early FPS thread in Games posted this:

I had no idea Trent was Quake Guy too. Pretty cool!

So is that HNUGH jumping sound him? If so he probably did the grunt voices too since they sound very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Did a double take when I saw this on the news this morning (Calgary mayor and Alberta premier pictured)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/naheed-nenshi-don-iveson-pleased-with-talks-with-rachel-notley-1.3125321?cmp=rss