Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Xander77 posted:

If I may ask, what did you find particularly interesting about this?

Best as in: no facecam and I don't have to watch half of the video to see a retarded "youtube personality" trying to learn how to play. And there's gonna be a second video where he goes into the game mechanics.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have been keeping myself mostly in the dark on this game intentionally, but do you get a ship to navigate the seas with? I notice a lot of water on that map.

I don't expect a full Black Flag style ship (though that would have been loving rad) but it'd be nice to have the option to manually sail if you wanted to.
Yup. It's basically a small sailboat. I wouldn't see Geralt using or affording anything bigger.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Best as in: no facecam and I don't have to watch half of the video to see a retarded "youtube personality" trying to learn how to play. And there's gonna be a second video where he goes into the game mechanics.

I enjoyed the lack of people shouting "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON I'M FREAKING OUT AAAAAAAAH gently caress YOU" when seeing the Noonwraith spawn a doppelganger.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

fivegears4reverse posted:

It probably can, but not smoothly.

As long as I can run it at 1440p on ultra with my 980 at 30fps or over I'll be happy. For me, 30fps is totally fine for games like this.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The size of the map is :stare:

I'm going to Red Dead: Witcher this poo poo and just ride off into the wilderness and kill tons of monsters, not returning until I have a full beard and a stack of hides that I can trade for hookers and blow (Geralt gotta be Geralt).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing that I really applaud CDPR for is sticking with the English voice actor for Geralt. The first game has a decent localization, but still sounds stiff and poorly acted, and that's after it got the enhanced reworking. But instead of dumping the actor of the main character when they had a bigger budget for W2, they focused on the quality of the acting, and now that voice for Geralt totally loving sells the character. I would never have imagined that the JC Denton knock-off from the first game would be exchanging lines with Charles loving Dance.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I still read people complaining about Geralt's English voice actor sometimes, but it's great that they decided to keep him. Stoic as gently caress and that's the way I like him. He's been getting better with each game too.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Doesn't Geralt's Polish actor have more of a sense of humor, though?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I still read people complaining about Geralt's English voice actor sometimes, but it's great that they decided to keep him. Stoic as gently caress and that's the way I like him. He's been getting better with each game too.

He definitely got better. In the beginning most of his deliveries were flat, but honestly that worked for me with such a neutral character. But I noticed in the latest official gameplay trailer where he is talking to the other Witcher, he really offers some subtlety when telling him he doesn't want to talk about his nightmare.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I liked his VA in the second game at least, can't imagine him with another one at this point.

Elukka posted:

Yup. It's basically a small sailboat. I wouldn't see Geralt using or affording anything bigger.

Hey, I'll take it. Maybe Geralt will sing the sea shanties to himself. Maybe Dandelion will do it!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe Dandelion will do it!

UN-GOLD THE GAME PUT THIS poo poo IN!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Just pre-ordered the game since the school semester is over with. I also just saw the requirements for the first time.

I'm just a speck above the minimum apparently. A better i5 (3570) processor and more RAM, but the video card is a 7870. Now I'm kinda concerned cause in the past, minimum for games was always: 800x600 resolution, everything set to low, still only get 20fps.

Have they said anything about just how much you would have to tone down the game's settings when you are at minimum specs? It's gonna suck if I can't really enjoy the game until I deicde it's time to upgrade/build another computer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Broose posted:

Just pre-ordered the game since the school semester is over with. I also just saw the requirements for the first time.

I'm just a speck above the minimum apparently. A better i5 (3570) processor and more RAM, but the video card is a 7870. Now I'm kinda concerned cause in the past, minimum for games was always: 800x600 resolution, everything set to low, still only get 20fps.

Have they said anything about just how much you would have to tone down the game's settings when you are at minimum specs? It's gonna suck if I can't really enjoy the game until I deicde it's time to upgrade/build another computer.

At the very least get a new video card.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Sylphosaurus posted:

I liked it because my old PC is getting pretty long in the tooth and the Keep allowed me to transfer my worldstate on my PS4 without having to go on an upgrade bender for my desktop. Is that honestly such a strange concept to you?

With you on this one. My PC can't handle the new one but I'd love to use my Witcher 2 save from it on the PS4. Hopefully nothing is left off with that conversation thing.

Ice Fist posted:

The size of the map is :stare:

I'm going to Red Dead: Witcher this poo poo and just ride off into the wilderness and kill tons of monsters, not returning until I have a full beard and a stack of hides that I can trade for hookers and blow (Geralt gotta be Geralt).

Hell yea. I'm definitely doing this too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Broose posted:

Buy a 970 and don't worry about upgrading for 6 or 7 years.
Buy a 760 and don't worry about upgrading for 3 or 4 years.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Drifter posted:

Dont buy a 760, especially that old refurb for 200$ you linked.
Not many good options if you don't wanna splurge for a 970 atm. Maybe hunt around for an AMD 280/290 gas guzzler sold at blowout prices.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've been pretty happy with the 780 I got with the 6 gigs of internal memory. With my ancient processor, the video card has let me play next gen games so far. I'll know more once I upgrade that too.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

How long a 960 gonna last do you think?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How long a 960 gonna last do you think?

Longer than a 760 but less than a 970. :wink:

The 970 is the best bang for your buck right now, if you are going to upgrade your video card and can afford that, buy it. If you cannot go up to that price range, get a 960. I'd say maybe a 770 instead but last I checked those are insanely expensive now (guess they stopped making them). The biggest difference is the 960 only has 2GB of VRAM, while the 970 has 4GB (ignoring the weird 3.5/0.5 split thing that people exaggerate the effects of), and recent games have been rather VRAM hungry.

I think MSI is probably the best way to go for the 900 series but EVGA/Asus are good options too.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
How is the R9 270x for the price range?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Am I gonna be okay with my 780 for this one? I bought it just before the 900 series came out without realizing that it was and I really don't want to have to splurge for that extra VRAM. If only I'd waited another couple of months... :negative:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
AMD 7850/270's are 'bare minimum' gaming cards, don't pay more than 130$ for one.
Buying a used 7950/280 with warranty, or from someone you can threaten with a baseball bat, is a much better idea.

Robutt posted:

Am I gonna be okay with my 780 for this one? I bought it just before the 900 series came out without realizing that it was and I really don't want to have to splurge for that extra VRAM. If only I'd waited another couple of months... :negative:
Sure it's still great, will be for years.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 28, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Terminally Bored posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4kOH_X7cM

In other news, I'm probably not going to afford to upgrade my computer for this. Going to see if a 640 explodes in my face when trying to run the game.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Will the 270x be able to do 60fps for this or should I return it and just drop the extra $200 for the 970? That'll last me quite a while huh?

Edit: Wait the 970 comes with Witcher 3 too right? I might as well do that then.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I was planning on holding off upgrading my 770 until this fall with Win10/DirectX 12/Consumer VR releases, but this game is making it really really tough. :argh:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Xander77 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4kOH_X7cM

In other news, I'm probably not going to afford to upgrade my computer for this. Going to see if a 640 explodes in my face when trying to run the game.

Again, that's a really good vid.

Consider playing at high or mid settings, maybe? Ultra looks sweet but maintaining good framerate is more important and the game will still good amazing. I got the game with a 970 and enabling hair FX or such crap still seems like a waste of processing power for me.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I thought you weren't supposed to up cards right now because something something "Skylake" etc. Wait for next fall?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gonna play it on the PS4 that I only ever intended to play Bloodborne on. Hooray windfalls of poor financial decisions!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Geforce GTX 860M
Core i7
16gb ram

Is it gonna run?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Oh, I looked today, and yes you can turn off monster heath bars. You can actually toggle them independently of boss health bars.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Juggalo fights confirmed
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/The-Witcher-3-2.jpg

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Since we're having GPU talk, with all of the praise coming for the GTX 970 I am now questioning my dual 7970 set up. It's more total VRAM but I don't know how that all works with the diminishing losses through CF.

Actually, Comte, can you chime in on the SLI/CF support for Witcher 3? Hopefully it won't be a buggy mess/broken like several recent games at release.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Youtubers said game is still being optimized for multi card setups, so I wouldn't keep my hopes high for crossfire stuff - Nvidia seems to be pretty invested in showing this game off. I'll have to make do with one 7970, but I've got only wide HD monitor, and I don't mind dialing some stuff down.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Daric posted:

Will the 270x be able to do 60fps for this or should I return it and just drop the extra $200 for the 970? That'll last me quite a while huh?

Edit: Wait the 970 comes with Witcher 3 too right? I might as well do that then.

60 FPS on Ultra? I'm far from an expert, but I'm going to say "no way in hell."

Yes, the 900 series come with W3 so if you can return your card, it'd be $140 for an upgrade. The 970 is a pretty significant updgrade from a 270x and you'll definitely be happy with the card, whether or not that's a good decision boils down to personal finances. ;)

Poetic Justice posted:

I was planning on holding off upgrading my 770 until this fall with Win10/DirectX 12/Consumer VR releases, but this game is making it really really tough. :argh:

A 770 should play this just fine. Will you be able to turn on Furworks and max out AA and all the other things? Probably not, but the game will probably still look phenomenal.

turtlecrunch posted:

I thought you weren't supposed to up cards right now because something something "Skylake" etc. Wait for next fall?

There's always a newer/better thing just around the corner. Whenever you upgrade your computer you should be content with the fact that whatever you bought is an outdated piece of poo poo two days after you buy it. :smithicide:

Soarer posted:

Since we're having GPU talk, with all of the praise coming for the GTX 970 I am now questioning my dual 7970 set up. It's more total VRAM but I don't know how that all works with the diminishing losses through CF.

Actually, Comte, can you chime in on the SLI/CF support for Witcher 3? Hopefully it won't be a buggy mess/broken like several recent games at release.

Usually this has more to do with Nvidia/AMD releasing drivers and SLI/CF profiles than anything the game developer does, afaik. I'd say you can expect an SLI profile on release because of what alex said, but who knows about AMD. This is probably the most hyped game of 2015 so hopefully they'll be on the ball.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

That's no Juggalo, that is Sting.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Gorgolflox posted:

No this is Sting.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gorgolflox posted:

FuriousGeorge posted:

No this is Sting.

He's right. It's Sting, the vigilante now.

Or The Vigilante, Sting. Who ever you talk to.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So the "Any computer that can run TW2 can run TW3" thing going around awhile back is bullshit right?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Archimago posted:

A 770 should play this just fine. Will you be able to turn on Furworks and max out AA and all the other things? Probably not, but the game will probably still look phenomenal.

Oh I have no doubt it will play it fine, but those videos just look so good on ultra it's extremely tempting. I will probably hold off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

The Sharmat posted:

So the "Any computer that can run TW2 can run TW3" thing going around awhile back is bullshit right?
Considering that at the time my C2D E6600 and Radeon 4890 ran TW2 pretty well I'm gonna say yeah.

Everyone seems convinced the system requirements are going to be massive. I hope not. The minimums are kinda worryingly high but minimums vary anywhere from "well the game will start" to "you can run it pretty well". I have an i5 3570k and a 7870. I've yet to run into any game that doesn't run well enough, so unless TW3 is massively more demanding than every other game I'm hoping I'm fine.

• Locked thread