Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

One Neat Trick: Shoot with high resolution and crop the photo

Yeah I guess I need to not worry about it looking good on the phone and trust it will look fine when I crop it and display it full size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Alright well, to satisfy me and my friends I got the Tohaa Trident, Yu Jing Japanese, and PanOceania Military Order sets. Here's hoping they're balanced!

Time to put my Deadzone terrain to work.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Alright well, to satisfy me and my friends I got the Tohaa Trident, Yu Jing Japanese, and PanOceania Military Order sets. Here's hoping they're balanced!
Factions, absolutely. Starter boxes are not points-balanced against each other, though (add a HMG Keisotsu to the JSA and you'll be good).

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 22, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I can do that. By any chance are the plastcraft archways and stuff made in 3" segments? Or would that be too serendipitous..

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah I guess I need to not worry about it looking good on the phone and trust it will look fine when I crop it and display it full size.

Out of interest what phone do you have? Since I got a S5 i have done all my mini photography on it and I can't see a significant difference between it and my Fuji compact.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Z the IVth posted:

Out of interest what phone do you have? Since I got a S5 i have done all my mini photography on it and I can't see a significant difference between it and my Fuji compact.

An iphone5.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ok that's probably part of the issue then.

Other things I've personally found helpful in addition to the shoot at high-Res and crop

1. Macro mode and place your camera as close to the mini as possible.
2. Avoid zooming on a phone cam, they don't have the optics, which means the zoom is merely digital, and Photoshop can do that better from a good hi-res photo.
3. Use a light box and set your ISO as low as it will go (usually 100) to reduce the noise - you can see the slight fuzzing on your photos, this is the digital zoom making the noise from the high ISO levels even more noticeable.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

So I have that 200pt tournament tomorrow, and I've settled on two Shasvaasti lists, which seem pretty balanced.

Though, one of the other players has been boasting about bringing a 20+ models Caldonian list which is more or less Wallace, Uxia + Galwegian horde.
Despite being horrifyingly unfun to play against, what should I look out for in a horde matchup?

I'm packing two TR drones in one of my lists (along with a Haiduk), which you'd think would be enough to stem the tide. But I'm a little worried about just getting smoke rushed, since I have no access to MSV2 and 20+ orders is enough to play with to get something in range.

Anyone else played this matchup before?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

If he wants to cover that much with smoke he might struggle to actually get poo poo done. I'd hedge and say two Total Reaction and liberal use of Sup Fire should be enough, what sort of lists have you got?

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I'd post them, but they're sitting on my Ipad on Mayanet at the moment, since Army 5 seems to be down constantly.

Fairly standard though, both lists have at least one TR remote, one swaps one out for a Speculo Killer. Bother run two FO Shroudeds and one a hacker (shrouded or noctifer). Two Ikadrons to hopefully handle burning of ODD/Camo since I don't seem to have any better options for that. And both have an Asuang LT.

I haven't put a great deal of though into the lists since I've had poo poo all time to really prepare. But I've run similar before so just defaulted back to something I'm more comfortable in playing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Caledonian hordes are very fun to play. Volunteer links fall apart once anything looks at them wrong, Galwegians are impetuous but stop being uber once they have to throw their second smoke as speculative (either that or you have to babysit them so they're positioned well), Cameronians still die to TR drones, the only thing which has MSV is the other Uxia that nobody takes, life's a dream. And once they learn that ISS can take 5 TR drones those lists suddenly get much more balanced :v:

Ikadrons are awesome for area control scenarios, remember that their Baggage increases their points worth by 20 for area control as well, so just deploy them in the front, move them forward once, park somewhere in a corner and forget about them. Surprisingly nasty for enemy plans because the closer zone/s usually have good denial anyway, and anything that tries to pry the baggagebot out gets a flamer to the face and also gets hacked through a repeater :v:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, i think it should go fine, just haven't come across one yet.

Though its a pretty short tournament, So I'm beginning to doubt that the game even gets finished.

And totally didn't realize that about ikadrons. I like em for being cheap flame bots, but repeaters too? That's a nice little package!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Hey where do I email to get parts replaced? I have the complaint code from the box but don't know where to send that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Hey where do I email to get parts replaced? I have the complaint code from the box but don't know where to send that.

infinitytheforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18901-missing-pieces-complaint-codes-tutorial/

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Posting pics of our minis is cool, right?

E: the awful app won't let me post several ate once :(

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Those are pretty cool.... for CA I guess... :smugdog:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Please guys. Get real. PanO supremacy. (Nice yellow on those nomads.)

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 24, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

These are great. I'm normally a fan of the standard color schemes, but this works really well.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Well just finished my tournament. Came out with a win, a tie and a loss, but not a lot of points scored in any of them.

I got absolutely destroyed game one against the Aussie champ. I've learned that dogged and chain rifles are brutal when you just can't put that last freakin wound on.

Got a solid win the next game thanks to it being frontline, and me packing my two TR bot list. My opponent tried a few risky options to get past them before taking em out with holoprojector trickery.

Last game was a draw, but I hosed up because I thought killing an antipode controller was much more devestating then it actually was.

Still, good fun all around. Didn't have a lot of time to prepare so didn't get to run everything I wanted to, but definitely looking forward to reinforcing my Shas with my new CA toys.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Just out of curiosity, what was the champ's list anyways?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Probably Muttuiah and Kum Bikers.

He's a monster with those.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

Probably Muttuiah and Kum Bikers.

He's a monster with those.

Yep, those. Had Saladin as lt too.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I used to think I was actually really loving awful at Infinity, because I played (and lost) to him far more than anyone else.

Then I went to CanCon and finished third overall because of all my agony.

Still don't understand it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

WAR FOOT posted:

I used to think I was actually really loving awful at Infinity, because I played (and lost) to him far more than anyone else.

Then I went to CanCon and finished third overall because of all my agony.

Still don't understand it.

Train hard fight easy, train easy fight hard.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Made some tissue filters, got a second lamp, and now I have a photo setup that doesn't rely on a mass of reflectors.

I've finally based all the Aleph stuff I had painted, and I photographed the lot with my proper camera.

Latest painted mini. I replaced the Hac Tao head with one from Statuesque Miniatures. I'm planning to use her as a proxy Phoenix. I tried to do more blending on her - some had commented that my earlier paintjobs didn't blend very much.

I re-did the original freehand on the Odalisque's skirt after seeing some awesome work by Darkstar (on the Reaper forums). Better than the original, but still pretty shoddy compared to my inspiration.

Replaced my hastily hacked-together base with a proper one. Now my Satria is truly complete.

Rest of my Aleph dude(ttes)

Now that I've got an army, I just need to find someone to trash me in a game.

Any suggestions for improvement would be much appreciated.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
God drat those are amazing miniatures man...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just cracked open my infinity mans. Unfortunately they're too dainty for a dremel pinning, but no worse than some of the warma minis I've dealt with. Are there specific minis that have definite problems with pinning?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Just cracked open my infinity mans. Unfortunately they're too dainty for a dremel pinning, but no worse than some of the warma minis I've dealt with. Are there specific minis that have definite problems with pinning?

Just score the mating surfaces and superglue them together. Thankfully, unlike Warmahordes, Infinity's stuff doesn't balance oversized weapons on the end of spindly arms. The extremities tend to be very light and stay together well with just glue as long as you don't toss your minis around.

One tip for the feet - rather than clipping off the tab and putting a pin in, carve the tab at the foot area into a peg. Much easier and sturdier than trying to put a pin into the foot.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
/\/\ or you know, exactly what he said.

signalnoise posted:

No pinning needed for most limbs (other than like, TAGs) - CB is very good about pegs and fitting, so dry fit to make sure and score surfaces and everything will be fine.

I do pin the models to resin bases, but don't drill feet - I trim down the slotta tab on each foot and use that as the pin.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 27, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Just score the mating surfaces and superglue them together.
And remember to wash the mini beforehand. People tend to forget that with metal minis and it really makes a difference when gluing tiny contact points.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

And remember to wash the mini beforehand. People tend to forget that with metal minis and it really makes a difference when gluing tiny contact points.

Metal minis often come with some dust on them - I am unsure if this is mould release or residue from the casting process. It's different from the oily residue on resin models in that it won't screw up painting, but it will definitely make it difficult to glue together.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oh, yeah. When I do minis I wash them and wear nitrile gloves because I'm a greasy nerdlord and nothing will ever stick if the mini is covered in oil anyway.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Yup, buyin' it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait. Another new jump pack design?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Looks like the same jump pack as on the starter box Fraacta. Which, yes, is different from Ko Dali's.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
My bad. I thought it was different from the combi Fractaa's.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Where are you guys getting those sexy bases? I can whip up a great looking outdoorsy base in no time but sci fi stuff has me lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Melody Jane doll house interior. They have a hex shaped bathroom tile "wall paper".

Ninjaedit: or resin bases from Dragon Forge.

• Locked thread