Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

FlamingLiberal posted:

They built a giant cathedral down here in Coral Gables about 15 or so years ago with a copper roof. With our rain it didn't last long.

Unless your rain is caustic it shouldn't really matter, copper passivates (that nice green verdegris doesn't work like rust, it protects the metal underneath) and stands up to water extremely well. Copper roofs can last a century if maintained "even a little bit". There's a host of reasons why copper is the go-to base alloy component for metals like naval bronze that are expected to be immersed in seawater or be left outdoors for their entire service life.

They coulda hosed it up in some other way, though. Like, tacking copper down with galvanized nails would turn each sheet/shingle into a self-destructive galvanic cell upon contact with moisture, that's a screw-up that happens often enough.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Unless your rain is caustic it shouldn't really matter, copper passivates (that nice green verdegris doesn't work like rust, it protects the metal underneath) and stands up to water extremely well. Copper roofs can last a century if maintained "even a little bit". There's a host of reasons why copper is the go-to base alloy component for metals like naval bronze that are expected to be immersed in seawater or be left outdoors for their entire service life.

They coulda hosed it up in some other way, though. Like, tacking copper down with galvanized nails would turn each sheet/shingle into a self-destructive galvanic cell upon contact with moisture, that's a screw-up that happens often enough.

I would think the "sounds like a giant reverberating snare drum" would be the main reason it wouldn't last long if it rains often.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

If you want to be the only guy in the afterlife that lives in a bent pyramid go ahead.

it would mark me as a cool laid-back kind of pharaoh unlike nefagtiti or, uh, ramshit

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I'm pretty sure that one of the Navy's new littoral ship designs, one of those things that are designed to be the FUTURE OF WARFARE but no one actually wanted, had this exact problem.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Benagain posted:

I'm pretty sure that one of the Navy's new littoral ship designs, one of those things that are designed to be the FUTURE OF WARFARE but no one actually wanted, had this exact problem.

yes and it's extremely glorious because the Royal Navy was issuing recommendations to halt galvanic corrosion on metal-sheathed wooden ships in the dang 1700s, before anybody understood what electricity even was, and people stick sacrificial anodes on their 15-foot dinghies as a matter of course, but the shipbuilder somehow forgot that galvanic corrosion is a "thing" for a ~$250 million or sth warship. and iirc the main site of bimetal contact is between the engine mount and the hull so it's Extremely Structural and can't be fixed so they gotta tack a shitload of anodes on that require frequent replacement and add a bunch of drag to what's supposed to be a very zippy ship. it's wonderful it makes me so happy

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 27, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
it's kind of like building a house and forgetting you need to vent the furnace or laundry machine or anything at all, except the house is the most expensive house in America and the Bank of America board member who commissioned it was nodding approvingly throughout the entire construction. it's just amazing no matter how you look at it

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

It works for roofs but copper walls are a terrible idea.

Nah that looks pretty cool.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Slanderer posted:

Nah that looks pretty cool.

:agreed: on the copper, too bad the hosed up window layout ruins the building

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

flosofl posted:

I would think the "sounds like a giant reverberating snare drum" would be the main reason it wouldn't last long if it rains often.

I'll have you know I've spent a non-trivial amount of time in synthesizers trying to achieve that sound.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

If you want to be the only guy in the afterlife that lives in a bent pyramid go ahead.
Don't pretend you don't wanna be the guy in the afterlife who lives in the desert boob.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

DNova posted:

I can't think of any examples of copper siding other than the photo that was posted. Copper roofs are rare but not unusual.

How about copper everything?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Young_(museum)

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

DNova posted:

I can't think of any examples of copper siding other than the photo that was posted. Copper roofs are rare but not unusual.

Skellefteå, Sweden.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kennel posted:

This is my favorite so far. The patina looks really cool. Shame about the "lol so random :iamafag:" windows though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you've ever been or known a student from the Illinois university system, you probably know about "Altgeld's Castles.". Named for Governor John Altgeld who was bananas for Gothic style castles and libraries, the Governor helped shepard construction of four buildings across Illinois' university system. All four were originally used as libraries like the governor had envisioned but have since changed purposes. All but one are now called Altgeld Hall.

Here's Northern Illinois' Altgeld Hall. When it opened, it housed the entire university since it was the first building constructed for the campus. It's currently the university's administration building.

This is the Altgeld Hall of Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. It was originally a library and gymnasium and is now the School of Music building (WTF?).

The aforementioned outlier (Cook Hall) at Illinois State University. It's also an outlier for using limestone for the exterior at the architect's direction. It, like the ISU Altgeld, was originally the library, then a gymnasium, and is also the campus School of Music building.

And finally, being a graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, here's the Altgeld Hall that I'm most keenly aware of. It was originally the university's library before becoming the Law Building (which is why in the picture "Law Building" is engraved right in front) but it changed again and now houses the Mathematics department (students know it as the Math Castle). It was originally supposed to look like NIU and SIUC's castles but outside pressure moved its design towards a Richardsonian Romanesque style, whatever the gently caress that is.

Here's the thing though: none of the buildings are complete castles or buildings. They don't encircle a courtyard or anything and they are all filled with half-floors and you can only get to certain rooms/floors through certain entrances. This has led to the (false) idea that all four were part of one grand design that was split across the four universities and that they should fit together. If you were ever a student at UIUC and had a math class, you probably hated the first week or so of class because gently caress it, the north entrance doesn't have access to the 2.5 floor and jesus I'm going to be late.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 28, 2015

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
I've seen my fair share of gothic and neogothic buildings, but those have to be the worst. I think I'm actually getting a bit offended by their mere existence.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think those are pretty neat. At least it's much better than Yet Another Concrete Box.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
They look like oversized children's toys.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Thwomp posted:

This is the Altgeld Hall of Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. It was originally a library and gymnasium and is now the School of Music building (WTF?).

Fun fact: standing opposite Altgeld is another terrible architectural failure, Faner Hall. Built during the height of the student protest movement, its selling point was that it was a) a giant wall in the middle of the campus and b) confusing in its internal layout so that attempts to seize and barricade the building would be high impossible.

As an anti-riot measure it succeeds admirably, but as an educational facility it's a loving mess. None of the stairwells go from the first floor to the top floor. There are four stairwells that go from the ground to the second floor, in between those are stairwells that go from the second to fourth floors. At the very ends there are yet another set of stairwells with roof access.

The interior of the building is also a maze, constantly splitting into separate hallways, and the building was designed so that you can't walk from one end of the building to the other on the same floor. I've heard jokes that some of the student protestors entered in the 60s and have yet to leave; considering that it's the headquarters for the School of Liberal Arts that may be entirely accurate.

Even as a fan of brutalist architecture I can say it's not a good building. (There are a couple parts that are kinda cool-looking in their own right but look like they're tacked on to the main building.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Default Settings posted:

I've seen my fair share of gothic and neogothic buildings, but those have to be the worst. I think I'm actually getting a bit offended by their mere existence.

Honestly I don't mind the look of the Math law building, not taking account of the mess that is apparently the inside. The first three look exactly how I would a 'castle' made on the cheap in the 70's would look like, which yeah goes without saying is pretty poo poo.

Also wish math law was a thing; "division for violating the Distributive Law of mathematics I sentence you to three month in jail, and fifty lashings."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thwomp posted:

And finally, being a graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

:hfive:

Another oddity on that campus is DCL (the Digital Computer Lab). Its second half was built well after the first was completed, resulting in a main hall with modern steel on one side and bare brick on the other.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

The first three look exactly how I would a 'castle' made on the cheap in the 70's would look like, which yeah goes without saying is pretty poo poo.

Please note: These were built in 1899, 1896, 1898, and 1897, respectively.

haveblue posted:

:hfive:

Another oddity on that campus is DCL (the Digital Computer Lab). Its second half was built well after the first was completed, resulting in a main hall with modern steel on one side and bare brick on the other.

The UIUC Engineering quad also has this monstrosity of a building.

The Beckman Center

I don't mind the initial front design but then it just goes off on the left for another section or two. Most photographs cut that part off but that makes the left part look like it just keeps repeating forever.

Also, the one part on the right is actually recessed back from the main tower which itself is its own thing in in front and connected by gangways. Here's a top down view.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 28, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Please note: These were built in 1899, 1896, 1898, and 1897, respectively.

The terribleness of 70's architecture can not be contain to just one decade...

Or apparently century.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Milwaukee School of Engineering has a relatively new athletic center called the Kern Center. Looks nicely modern:

The Google satellite view shows how the architect felt about the project (Comparison shown in the inset):

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Neutrino posted:

The Milwaukee School of Engineering has a relatively new athletic center called the Kern Center. Looks nicely modern:

The Google satellite view shows how the architect felt about the project (Comparison shown in the inset):

I approve.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
TO LET

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

thought this was a real pharaoh til I got to ramshit

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Kennel posted:

this reminds me a lot of glendale community college's north campus buildings, which were a short tresspass away from my house and were pretty quintessentially arizonian

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!
Here's a marvel of architecture I pass by a few times a year, the never-managed-to-open Igloo Hotel.

There's a great slideshow here.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Kennel posted:

Speaking of histrorical architectural gently caress ups:

The best part is that if you look closely, it's slightly curved -- it started to tilt during construction (took a long-rear end time to build), and they built the upper floors to be level after the lower floors had started to tilt.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Venusian Weasel posted:

Fun fact: standing opposite Altgeld is another terrible architectural failure, Faner Hall. Built during the height of the student protest movement, its selling point was that it was a) a giant wall in the middle of the campus and b) confusing in its internal layout so that attempts to seize and barricade the building would be high impossible.

As an anti-riot measure it succeeds admirably, but as an educational facility it's a loving mess. None of the stairwells go from the first floor to the top floor. There are four stairwells that go from the ground to the second floor, in between those are stairwells that go from the second to fourth floors. At the very ends there are yet another set of stairwells with roof access.

The interior of the building is also a maze, constantly splitting into separate hallways, and the building was designed so that you can't walk from one end of the building to the other on the same floor. I've heard jokes that some of the student protestors entered in the 60s and have yet to leave; considering that it's the headquarters for the School of Liberal Arts that may be entirely accurate.

Even as a fan of brutalist architecture I can say it's not a good building. (There are a couple parts that are kinda cool-looking in their own right but look like they're tacked on to the main building.)

I didn't mention this when I posted "The Blender"at OU earlier, because it's a rumor, but it was supposedly designed with student riots in mind. The lower three floors in the base are served by one set of elevators, and the big lecture halls are in the base. Note that there are no windows in the base.

The higher floors in the central tower are served by another set of elevators, and when you ride them up, there's enough of a pause between floors 3 and 4 that there should be a floor there.

So the rumor was that, in the event of a student riot, the staff could pull the tower elevators up from the base and be safe, and that the "missing level" in the tower allowed for a pinch-point to stop hostile forces.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

How about aluminum?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I recently visited Texas A&M in the city of College Station for the first time. Hoo boy. Let me tell you about it.

First of all, it's massive and looks like it was mostly built up in the 1960s and 1970s. Lots of brutalism and "international style." Lots of wide open spaces. Lots of students but the size and space makes it seem like there's fewer than there really are.

Combined with the Corps of Cadets walking around -- the university's paramilitary organization -- and I felt like I was in an alternate universe where Texas was taken over by a totalitarian regime. Students dressed like college students anywhere but it was more on the conservative side. I saw some chalk graffiti that said "LIFE GOALS" and had a drawing of a two-parent family. Which is a fine goal but still, I was impressed with that. I'm from this state and I was still going "dayum."

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

FYI every single college campus in the US has some baseless story about how something was designed to prevent riots or how this one building that looks different was actually designed for a different school but lol whoops the blueprints got mixed up and they built it here by mistake.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

DNova posted:

FYI every single college campus in the US has some baseless story about how something was designed to prevent riots or how this one building that looks different was actually designed for a different school but lol whoops the blueprints got mixed up and they built it here by mistake.

and the architect failed to take the weight of the books into account so the building started sinking hyuk

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My school was opened in 2003, so I've never heard any of those. :smugbert:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

CSUCI doesn't have any stories like that, but then most of it was built as a state mental institution. True story!

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

tempe municipal building, built in the 70s. yes, it's an upside-down pyramid.

quote:

Vincent said that City Hall’s architect, Michael Goodwin, of Michael & Kemper Goodwin Ltd., strove to design a building that had complete respect for the Arizona sun, an open space vista at the heart of the site, open citizen access and community integration. In addition, before plans were drawn up for the new City Hall, rumor has it that former Mayor Bradley asked that offices for elected officials and the city manager be located on the top floor, while support staff and people-oriented services occupy the lower floors in order to make them handy to the public. Designing a structure that could honor each of these criteria was no easy task.

“[Goodwin] said that the idea came to him while he was taking a shower one morning,” said Vincent. “When he saw the sunlight streaking across the shower door at a forty-five degree angle, he started drawing on the condensation on the shower door, in kind of a ‘eureka, I’ve got it!’, moment.”

The resulting structure is nothing less than amazing: the inverted pyramid—with walls extending at a 45-degree-angle, and measuring 45- feet per side—keeps direct sunlight from striking the glass, thus achieving maximum sun in the winter and minimum heat in the summer. In addition, the upside-down pyramid shape acts as an umbrella that protects administrators, as well as the below-grade courtyard and adjacent offices, from the Arizona sun. Complementing the design, the building’s steel frame helps to support thick panes of glass, which are engineered for flexibility, heat and cold tolerance.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Feminition posted:

I can't be down on this, it's like a good version of that dallas city hall building they used in robocop. I think the two things that make it completely different are the landscaping and metal siding instead of exposed concrete. they're fundamentally the same thing, and upside down pyramid, but the tempe building doesn't look like it was built by a fascist regime

padijun fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feminition posted:

I actually kind of like it. Of course, I'm saying that never having been there in person. There could be a whole level of hellishness with this thing I can't appreciate over the Internet.

• Locked thread