Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Could be as simple as a few people stuffing the ballot.

That's how all Japanese surveys/voting works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
edit: nevermind

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Isn't that poll based on the anime? That is gonna skew results.

e: wait nvm

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Imma be hella disappointed if there's not a chapter with Megumi as Hinako's stagiare

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Hey now, at least 1,195 voted for The Best Girl, so just because Erina got #1 does not mean all hope is lost.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Speaking of the anime... is it just me, or does Erina sound like she's voiced by Shizuka Itoh? :psyduck:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

The Evil Thing posted:

Speaking of the anime... is it just me, or does Erina sound like she's voiced by Shizuka Itoh? :psyduck:

Doesn't sound like it to me, and she's listed as being voiced by Taneda Risa

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't see any other reason why takumi is #2. He's a decent character, but 4-7 are at least as good if not better

Literally yaoi fangirls. Soma and Takumi are a highly popular fujoshi pairing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hey now, at least 1,195 voted for The Best Girl, so just because Erina got #1 does not mean all hope is lost.

And only 50 points behind Soma. So if you ignore the superficially popular character's she's only behind the main character, which is pretty impressive. It's interesting to see the majority of the top 5 be female characters as well. In most Shonen popularity polls i've seen, outside of the female lead, the top spots are taken up by the dudes, but in this one it's pretty evenly split. Although I imagine a lot of it is just for fan-service reasons.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Imma be hella disappointed if there's not a chapter with Megumi as Hinako's stagiare

Megumi would not be allowed to be Hinako's stagiare because Hinako would pass her automatically and then spend the week taking her out shopping something, and Megumi would learn nothing from the experience.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You guys are really harsh on Erina. Like, she'S not my favourite character, but she does have a personality and character arc. There's the whole thing about her having trouble relating to people and being really lonely and missing her best friend who went on some stupid self-imposed exile and what not. It's not great or original, but it's there.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Literally yaoi fangirls. Soma and Takumi are a highly popular fujoshi pairing.

:barf:

MonsieurChoc posted:

You guys are really harsh on Erina. Like, she'S not my favourite character, but she does have a personality and character arc. There's the whole thing about her having trouble relating to people and being really lonely and missing her best friend who went on some stupid self-imposed exile and what not. It's not great or original, but it's there.

I don't mind her that much, but she's not really a good character at this point in time. Even her secretary person is more interesting because she was in the first stagiare arc with soma. Erina's stagiare story was boring even though it had megumi in it.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Megumi would not be allowed to be Hinako's stagiare because Hinako would pass her automatically and then spend the week taking her out shopping something, and Megumi would learn nothing from the experience.
This sounds like something they could do as like chapter 1xx.5

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it is more that she is presented as the Main female lead or Rival, rather than presented as just a regular cast member. Because as just a member of the cast she is fine but she's not really around enough to seem like as important a character as the manga seems to present her as and only recently has her character arc really come into focus and it's been playing B plot to Soma's development in the Stagiare week.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

No, she doesn't.

Her entirely personality up to this point is "I HATE SOMA FOR NOT BEING A CHILD OF PRIVILEGE AND WANT HIM DESTROYED!" and nothing she's done has changed that. Even her "humanizing" chapter with her and Megumi at that one restaurant was her being an unbelievably arrogant rear end in a top hat and humiliating the chef to prove her superiority.

Her being lonely is stupid because it just means she's never made an attempt to bond with Hinako and was completely fine letting her act as a bowing and scrapping servant until Hinako feels that she fails and exiles herself.

Her being given so much importance is annoying as poo poo given how many more interesting characters are currently present and she's literally just "tsundere blond princess" and nothing else.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's really more of a villain with a heel face turn coming up sometime down the road.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

Her entirely personality up to this point is "I HATE SOMA FOR NOT BEING A CHILD OF PRIVILEGE AND WANT HIM DESTROYED!" and nothing she's done has changed that. Even her "humanizing" chapter with her and Megumi at that one restaurant was her being an unbelievably arrogant rear end in a top hat and humiliating the chef to prove her superiority.

It's probably more to do with the fact that he doesn't give her the respect she thinks she deserves. It's not like megumi is a child of privilege either, but she's also not really annoying. Soma's just that weird combination where he doesn't really respect her but is actually competent, yet she refuses to recognize him because he's an annoying boy who doesn't respect her authority. This doesn't really make her any better though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Erina doesn't hate Soma because of class differences or anything. She hates him because he proved her wrong about her initial impression of him and was incredibly casual about it. Still really petty but not as mean, and she also dislikes him because he speaks to her casually without any respect, as if they are friends even though she in The Elite Ten and hates his guts.

Her main problem is that shes kind of generic with an arc that just started, and has far better interactions with anyone other than the protagonist. Who will inevitably be essential to her character arc. I dont really dislike her though and am looking forward to her and Arato reuniting, their interactions were generally pretty good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pentyne posted:

No, she doesn't.

Not really, no. You're projecting a whole lot.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://i.imgur.com/z1Koqad.gifv

...yup, that's a Soma anime alright.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just realized that Shokugeki no Soma is basically the exact same as Grappler Baki except with cooking instead of martial arts.

edit: I just read through the whole comic again since I didn't remember much of it beyond the most recent chapters, and it's really pretty damned good. The characters are all likable and/or memorable and, more importantly, the author is very creative in the various things he has the characters cook and does a great job of explaining them.

Since I can't think of anything else to compare it with, it's far, far better than Yakitate Japan ever was, even during its earlier chapters before it went off the rails.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was lurking around when I found this guy who cooked up some of the meals shown in the series. Here are the ones that he's done so far.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was lurking around when I found this guy who cooked up some of the meals shown in the series. Here are the ones that he's done so far.

That looks really good, but his presentation leaves something to be desired.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Casanova scan of the next chapter is up. Not terribly exciting and no second stagiare arc for megumi :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That :smug: Souma face though :allears:

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The next chapter will probably just be a montage of Soma winning shokugeki after shokugeki.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

MajorMarcus posted:

The next chapter will probably just be a montage of Soma winning shokugeki after shokugeki.

I wish that you weren't probably going to be right

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I wish, for once, we'd get to see Megumi do a proper shokugeki. The way I imagine it, someone challenges her thinking "she's just a quiet, shy girl, what can she do?", forgetting she was among the best 8 during the tournament, and getting roflstomped as a result.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

I wish, for once, we'd get to see Megumi do a proper shokugeki. The way I imagine it, someone challenges her thinking "she's just a quiet, shy girl, what can she do?", forgetting she was among the best 8 during the tournament, and getting roflstomped as a result.

I'm sure there's a few, less confident or less honorable 2nd years looking to challenge the rest of the top 8 to polish their skills before facing the top three First Years. Alternatively, it looks like Megumi is picking up hostess skills so I don't know what she's planning with that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I guess after all of the comments about the tournament being too long, the author didn't want to drag out another arc.

It's not a bad thing, I guess.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure there's a few, less confident or less honorable 2nd years looking to challenge the rest of the top 8 to polish their skills before facing the top three First Years. Alternatively, it looks like Megumi is picking up hostess skills so I don't know what she's planning with that.

Going for the full experience. When you eat in a restaurant, it’s not just the flavor that matters (although it's the most immediately critical part); the presentation, the decor, and especially the service all play a part in the impression left on the customers.

Might even be an interesting contrast to do in a future arc. Have Megumi win a contest against Erina by virtue of being the one whose hypothetical restaurant people would want to come back to, since the food is almost as good and the service is infinitely better. Also, by virtue of being able to retain staff, which is something restaurants tend to find difficult IRL.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Going for the full experience. When you eat in a restaurant, it’s not just the flavor that matters (although it's the most immediately critical part); the presentation, the decor, and especially the service all play a part in the impression left on the customers.

Might even be an interesting contrast to do in a future arc. Have Megumi win a contest against Erina by virtue of being the one whose hypothetical restaurant people would want to come back to, since the food is almost as good and the service is infinitely better. Also, by virtue of being able to retain staff, which is something restaurants tend to find difficult IRL.

A team competition arc sounds like what it's leading up to with teams either based on dorm, picked by the students or "randomly" chosen and requires them to basically operate a restaurant and compete. This also would likely include having someone be declared Head Chef with all of the responsibilities including the fate of the entire team.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I would like to see any of the other Polar Star students do pretty much anything at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Working as a waitress is probably really useful as a chef as you would learn all sorts of things about what clients think of food, how they react etc etc.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Dexo posted:

Working as a waitress is probably really useful as a chef as you would learn all sorts of things about what clients think of food, how they react etc etc.

You also learn a lot more about what happens to food from the kitchen on it's way to the table as well.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Xelkelvos posted:

Megumi's thing is hospitality, so it fits.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Do the two amigos from Polar Star even have names

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

Shokugeki's just aren't really that important, despite the name. There's only been 3 done so far this entire manga and Megumi's the only main character other than Soma to have taken part in one. And at the very least, I think the point of her match against Kurokiba was that although she lost she forced people who had previously looked down on her to re-assess their opinions..

Also, the stuff with Shinomiya was guaranteed to be the peak of this arc in terms of actual growth and development for Soma, so i'm unsurprised it ended where it did. Although now i'm just wondering why they didn't just skip week's 2 and 3 and make Shinomiya's week 4 so that the conclusion of the arc matched the conclusion of the Stagiare period. This next match is probably just going to be to show off what Soma's learnt and I imagine the rest of the Shokugeki's will be skipped, the method seems to be that after an arc we get a few vaguely filler chapters until we jump into the next one so I imagine that will be happening.

DoubleDonut posted:

I would like to see any of the other Polar Star students do pretty much anything at all.

I actually kind of like the way the Polar Star guys are handled. They all got a moment in the Fall Tournament qualifiers that showed their stuff and proved them to be some of the best students in the school even though they just lost out to being in the top 8. Since it allowed for the pacing to flow a bit better and gave them all screentime and a cool moment without necessarily without necessarily drawing focus away from the characters the narrative considers important. I like the character balancing in this series.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like the character balancing in this series.

lmao did you conveniently forget about Erina

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eej posted:

lmao did you conveniently forget about Erina

Yeah, she's the exception. She probably should have had more continued importance throughout the cooking camp and fall tournament and had her arc progress somewhat quicker. Everyone else is good though, most people get enough stuff to be likeable and have characterisation but not enough focus to bog things down instead of focusing on the character's actually important to the narrative. Still didn't really help the pacing when we had like 6 cooking matches in a row with very little breaks in between.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I dunno, I think it's kind of funny that literally everyone around Erina is starting to develop and progress while she just sulks in a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

BlitzBlast posted:

I dunno, I think it's kind of funny that literally everyone around Erina is starting to develop and progress while she just sulks in a corner.

To be fair im ok with not getting 3 months of Erina flashback stories trying to show why she's such a tsundere.