Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Christo posted:

Did no one at Anheuser-Busch say "Hey, I think the new slogan might be seen as a bit rapey"?

Gotta cater to that all-important frat guy market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Isn't it just referring to their "party party up for whatever" ad campaign?

I get what you guys are :stonk:ing at, but I don't think light beer is associated with date-rape except as an extension of fraternity life. I'd be troubled by the slogan showing up on Malibu Rum or prescription Rohypnol packaging, but Bud freaking Light? C'mon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's exactly what's bad about it. They are actively trying to break into the lucrative date-rapist market.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Isn't it just referring to their "party party up for whatever" ad campaign?

I get what you guys are :stonk:ing at, but I don't think light beer is associated with date-rape except as an extension of fraternity life. I'd be troubled by the slogan showing up on Malibu Rum or prescription Rohypnol packaging, but Bud freaking Light? C'mon.

Most date rapists don't use drugs, they use alcohol - either by doubling up on liquor in mixed drinks without telling them or trying to get them to drink too much. Drugs are far too expensive, hard to get and used more for getting high off it rather than trying to slip it into someone else's drink and going to jail over it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Most date rapists don't use drugs, they use alcohol - either by doubling up on liquor in mixed drinks without telling them or trying to get them to drink too much. Drugs are far too expensive, hard to get and used more for getting high off it rather than trying to slip it into someone else's drink and going to jail over it.

Yeah if there's one thing hard for young people to get, it's drugs.

That said it's much easier to convince people to drink a poo poo ton of beer, especially when it becomes a competition.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I know that. I used Malibu Rum as an example and was being facetious with prescription Rohypnol.

I'm sure Bud Light is a trusty tool in the date rapist arsenal just from its sheer availability, but I still think the :stonk: at this one is a stretch.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know that. I used Malibu Rum as an example and was being facetious with prescription Rohypnol.

I'm sure Bud Light is a trusty tool in the date rapist arsenal just from its sheer availability, but I still think the :stonk: at this one is a stretch.

The point isn't "oh my god they are actively endorsing date rape," it's that it's really easy to interpret it that way, and at a time where date rape on campuses is A Thing People Care About.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

All this talk of marketing makes me hungry for a delicious Subway Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Footlong

I was expecting a Chuck clip (Big Mike) but that's loving hilarious...

By the way,

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not :stonk: because I think BudLight is actively campaigning for rape, you moron.

I'm :stonk: because holy poo poo a major corporation printed a message that can very easily be interpreted as pro-rape on their alcoholic bottles. Its tremendously stupid. Its a massive oversight.

Its definitely not Anheuser-Busch campaigning for rape, DUHHHHHHH.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Chill out man; maybe enjoy a nice refreshing bottle of Bud Rape. I don't think they're actively campaigning for it either. I just don't see it with this one, I guess. It's about as rapey to me as Nike's "Just Do It".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Chill out man; maybe enjoy a nice refreshing bottle of Bud Rape. I don't think they're actively campaigning for it either. I just don't see it with this one, I guess. It's about as rapey to me as Nike's "Just Do It".

Are you being serious?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Are you being serious?

Yes, there are no jokes on Something Awful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Last Chance posted:

Are you being serious?

What's there to question? Sex should be my own choice, and a multinational mega-corporation has no vote in whether I should Just Do It or not.

Sorry you think businesses can give consent, bro

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Ugh, it is rapey, but only because they focus on the word "no" and it's almost impossible to not associate that with "no means no." It's a dumb move because their copywriters could have come up with something like "the perfect beer to make all your idiot friend's ideas seem good" and maintained the intended party spirit without reminding people of horrible, negative poo poo in the news.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

artsy fartsy posted:

Ugh, it is rapey, but only because they focus on the word "no" and it's almost impossible to not associate that with "no means no." It's a dumb move because their copywriters could have come up with something like "the perfect beer to make all your idiot friend's ideas seem good" and maintained the intended party spirit without reminding people of horrible, negative poo poo in the news.

They could have even chosen almost any other word that people use to excuse themselves from "whatever" instead of "no". I mean, there are a lot of things people say that are just waffling about bullshit, but "no" is kind of the definitive answer to "do you want to do this". Even if you take away the rapey connotations, it turns their "up for whatever" campaign into "you cannot have your own opinions about anything and should engage in any activity offered to you at all times regardless of your desires".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The difference is that Just Do It is selling sneakers and The Perfect Beer To Remove "No" From Your Vocabulary For The Night is selling alcohol, which is used by rapists time and time again for exactly that property.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The bottle is also brown, which I feel is inappropriate with Ferguson so fresh in our memories

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The bottle is also brown, which I feel is inappropriate with Ferguson so fresh in our memories

The perfect beer to make you say "I Can't Breathe"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I feel that it's inappropriate for it to be brown because it reminds us of your posting.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Dont worry tumblr will throw a huge shitfit and force them to change and make a public apology

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It does seem like an odd kind of phenomenon, where everyone clearly knows that whatever nasty interpretation is not the intended meaning of an ad campaign, but still work themselves into a tizzy because what if it were.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Strudel Man posted:

It does seem like an odd kind of phenomenon, where everyone clearly knows that whatever nasty interpretation is not the intended meaning of an ad campaign, but still work themselves into a tizzy because what if it were.

Welcome to the Dumb Moves in Marketing thread, where campaigns that aren't necessarily intended to be racist, sexist, or rapey can look that way and where people who don't see SJWs hiding in the bushes everywhere discuss how dumb it is to make a campaign that can come across with a negative message.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

discuss how dumb it is to make a campaign that can come across with a negative message.
That's kind of my point, though, isn't it? That it doesn't actually "come across" that way to anyone, it's just people coming up with alternate interpretations that they know are not the ones intended?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah. It just seems like an ill-advised campaign.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I still think Budweiser's new slogan should be, "Drink up you FUCKS!"

It gets the point across and doesn't offend anyone.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Why don't all companies everywhere just put cute animals in their ads and on packaging, it's completely safe and there's like 5 things I can see in my living room right now that I bought strictly because there was a cute dog.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strudel Man posted:

That's kind of my point, though, isn't it? That it doesn't actually "come across" that way to anyone, it's just people coming up with alternate interpretations that they know are not the ones intended?

Everybody thinks about that when they read it.
Associating your product with good things and not associating your product with bad things is like Marketing & Public Relations 101.

Either it was unintended in which case whoever wrote the copy is really thick, or it was intended as a joke and is of poor taste. (Or it was intended to appeal to fratboys :tinfoil: but not really)

I don't know which of those it was and I frankly don't give a drat. They're all very stupid. Its that simple.

VendaGoat posted:

Take a note from John Romero, "SUCK IT DOWN!"

(don't do this)

artsy fartsy posted:

Why don't all companies everywhere just put cute animals in their ads and on packaging, it's completely safe and there's like 5 things I can see in my living room right now that I bought strictly because there was a cute dog.

Because insecure fratbros are a big demographic? :shrug: I like cute animals too.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Wasn't there a beer company that went out of business due to a vaguely threatening ad campaign? Maybe in the 80s? I'm remembering something my dad told me 15+ years ago so...not much to go on there, sorry.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't worry, Jezebel is on the case.

"Ideally, what I’d like out of this is several free 30-racks and a promise that they will hire at least one woman or even one non-idiot to help out at the Budweiser copy desk: how many people do you think this label had to go through without anyone side-eyeing it to the grave?

Oh, by the way, I wrote this post in approximately 10 minutes, which means 5 humans in America were raped from the time I started till the time I was done :)"

Apparently the new Bud Light bottles have several different wrappers, and this is one of them. Much like how Tootsie Pops have the Indian (trigger warning sorry) Native American shooting an arrow at a star.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I am so triggered by the obvious racial undertones of this add, like literally shaking

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

These anti-Semitic ads are getting out of hand.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The plight of the alcoholic, black Irish-Jew has been common knowledge for some time. Shame on Guinness for exploiting it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

poo poo, I don't even like Guinness and that picture makes me want a Guinness. And some Fruit Loops.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ableist scum. Not everybody has a loving nose you insensitive pricks

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The plight of the alcoholic, black Irish-Jew has been common knowledge for some time. Shame on Guinness for exploiting it.

it's also facing east, towards Mecca.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I end up seeing this commercial several times a day. The only impression I get from it every single time is

1- What the gently caress did I just watch
2-Why should it make me want to buy chocolate

Before anyone asks the slogan at the end is "taste your fantasies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTY5EKN6bzM

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

artsy fartsy posted:

Budweiser got in trouble back in the day for Spuds MacKenzie, because having a cool party dog was seen as marketing the product to children.

Now, instead, they have adorable lost puppies finding their way home. :cheers:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Isn't Light Beer low alcohol content? Why are they giving that a slogan which is basically "You'll get drunk and do stupid poo poo" when presumably light is for people who don't want to get drunk, or at least not so easily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

Isn't Light Beer low alcohol content? Why are they giving that a slogan which is basically "You'll get drunk and do stupid poo poo" when presumably light is for people who don't want to get drunk, or at least not so easily?

They wanted something a little more sinister than "piss goes in, piss comes out."