Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

not caring here posted:

Seeing Asahi in a can is just... wrong.

wait what the gently caress is it supposed to be in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

C.M. Kruger posted:

He didn't actually do all that much on the F-16 design as I recall anyways. IIRC he's actually got a background in statistics and was a MacNamara "Whiz Kid" rather than a aeronautical engineer, and now apparently makes his living claiming to have created the F-16 and A-10 while collecting royalties from a Kanye West song that sampled some of his jazz music.

I've always liked F-18s, but at the same time I always thought 'why do we have them when we have awesome F-14s?'

:smith:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LimburgLimbo posted:

wait what the gently caress is it supposed to be in?

A big god drat bottle.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ded posted:

A big god drat bottle.

Meh, the silver cans are more iconic for Asahi. The bottles are for old dudes and company parties.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LimburgLimbo posted:

Meh, the silver cans are more iconic for Asahi. The bottles are for old dudes and company parties.

When I was there thats what the bars served. 800 yen thanks much!

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ded posted:

I've always liked F-18s, but at the same time I always thought 'why do we have them when we have awesome F-14s?'

:smith:

Because everyone who worked on/with Tomcats knows that they only looked awesome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Once it got off the deck it was vastly superior to the legacy hornet, and only slightly less superior to the SH. It's all the time and money in between, though. :(

Omi-Polari posted:

I went on her sister ship, complimented some officers on how clean it was (and yes, it was very clean) and they seemed very pleased about that.

But walking down the corridors of a Japanese aircraft carrier while hearing somebody barking out orders in Japanese over the intercom system gave me vibes from the movie Midway. :japan:

From the other side:

Jesus, that sits even higher than I thought.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 25, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

At least they've got the crash trucks in the right place, so that when some Lieutenant smacks into it, and lands the burning wreckage on top of the entire firefighting team, they get to see if their DC really is better than during WWII.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Third World Reggin posted:

The admiral flags go from rear, vice, to admiral where it looks like someone is squinting to see the imperial flag

They always look that way though

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jonad posted:

:vince:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Jonad posted:

:thurman:

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

https://youtu.be/SBsJgqLc7Pc
Lmao, makes me miss being in Afghanistan actually doing my job. I can't embed videos for some reason

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Godholio posted:

^Once it got off the deck it was vastly superior to the legacy hornet, and only slightly less superior to the SH. It's all the time and money in between, though. :(

Related:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
Guided .50 bullet demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoOaJclkSZg

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So is sniping going to be like firing an ATGM in the future? Like you just keep your aim on the target and fire and the munition takes care of the rest?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm a civilian.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress man the terrorists are popping flares
E: I know that it's not heat based, it's probably laser guided

killmeimmafailure fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 29, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

So is sniping going to be like firing an ATGM in the future? Like you just keep your aim on the target and fire and the munition takes care of the rest?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm a civilian.

Only if the cost is driven down enough for it to be feasible to any country but the United States, because we literally hurl money at poo poo like that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMboVN12r0

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
From what I've read so far the DARPA one is supposed to be fire and forget while a competing design is laser-guided.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Laser-guided bullets? That's an interesting idea.

Because the 30mm variant would be loving baller.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

This may be the only time where the Heavy's quote about the cost of firing Sasha is actually appropriate in context.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Godholio posted:

Also the heat-seeker variant where each bullet hunts down an individual person and hits center mass.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Also the heat-seeker variant where each bullet hunts down an individual person and hits center mass.

The shells communicate during flight and coordinate to distribute individual targets. One shell ascends to a higher altitude and serves as a sensor platform for the others.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

8lbsofanalsex posted:

From what I've read so far the DARPA one is supposed to be fire and forget while a competing design is laser-guided.

Oh poo poo. So now terrorists are going to be wandering the desert in loving thermal coats. Or, better yet, it's a camera-object designation. I'm guessing that it's not independently propelled so it course corrects with like fins and poo poo. I'm the misidentified scarecrow riding a camel at 200m

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We've already got self-aiming guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBC8IFWC1P0

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Tell me Rashaad, have you ever considered commissioning?"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's a captain who has the dumbest idea, the pfc who looks like a genius in comparison.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Casimir Radon posted:

It's a captain who has the dumbest idea, the pfc who looks like a genius in comparison.

The LTC is also pretty bad. "All the tools to do what I need to do." Really, sir, it's got a loving pen?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
lmfbo at major gayer

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

"special projects for chief of staff" aka "got fired from every job involving actual responsibility, better ROI from taxpayer dollars -> salary as performance-art-retard hitting 'next slide' during quarterly try-not-to-rape briefs & CFC officer than E2 duties scrubbing toilets"

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

I just took the navy test. There was this logic puzzle about lighthouses and I know I got the answer wrong, but if there's a boat crash I'm raising the alarm.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

She's apparently with ARCENT G2 (even if she's just the exec)...that's a joke that writes itself.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I was really hoping the LtCol would say, "my exec."

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

A soldier, left, accompanies Lami Musa, 27-years old, after she was released from captivity from Boko Haram.The first group of nearly 300 Nigerian girls and women released from captivity by Boko Haram were brought by the military to the safety of a refugee camp in the country's northeast Saturday evening. (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)

I like the contrast of the soldier in the back in a uniform with new stuff, and the guy in front wearing a t-shirt and an AK covered in string.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
That lady has seen some poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Zeris posted:

That lady has seen some poo poo.

If she had kids, they were probably murdered in front of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The second TOW kill in this video is pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzvtDwafhY

• Locked thread