Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

It's obviously a broad/simplified term but what it represents is nonetheless valid. Humour where the only point is a kind of forced randomness and which only exists to show you just how kooky and off-the-wall it's being. Which is basically early-era AT and Uncle Grandpa in spades.

You're right, a show featuring a cast of literal candy people and a magic stretching dog is no place for kookiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I thought Walnuts and Rain was a superb episode. I was less interested Friend's Forever, just because it wasn't the first time we've seen a story about the Ice King pushing away any kind of help. I'd say it wasn't one of the better Ice King episodes too. There have been a bunch of incredible episodes this season, The Mountain, Gold Stars, and Crabapples jump to mind immediately.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

program666 posted:

The fact that you have a spider jerusalem avatar makes me even more disappointed at such youthful display of anxiety.

Okay bud, sorry to disappoint you. :jerkbag:

Anyway, I agree with Somberbrero, Crabapples is a much better Ice King episode than Friends Forever. This one didn't feel like it really brought anything new.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That was the one they probably should have aired first after the break.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That was Greg from Steven Universe voicing Jake's Brother, right?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sure sounded like it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah, definitely.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
What a creative episode! Lots of cool stuff to look at, and some really funny parts to boot! This episode was just so full of energy, I loved it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just like the idea that Jake's dad was just stealing a bunch if demons' stuff. Not even like dangerous stuff necessarily. Just stuff like posters.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

axleblaze posted:

I just like the idea that Jake's dad was just stealing a bunch if demons' stuff. Not even like dangerous stuff necessarily. Just stuff like posters.

So goddamn good. This episode totally dispelled every minor doubt I had about this show. This was some peak Adventure Time poo poo right here. In some situations Finn acting like a total idiot baby when he ran into the house could have been nothing but obnoxious, but here it was nothing but hilarious. I don't know why but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

(also continued references to Jake getting older, this was the most direct one yet I think, wonder if he's gonna have to go semi-retired within a few years or what)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I thought this episode was pretty good, and I liked the contrast between Jermaine being very responsible to Jake's lazy-piece-of-poo poo nature.

Really dispelled any doubts as to whether Jermaine was Jay T. Dogzone or not.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yay! The show's about Finn and Jake (and also good) again!

axleblaze posted:

"GIVE ME BACK MY SHOES JOSHUA! I NEED THOSE! COME ON JOSHUA DON'T BE A DICK ABOUT THIS!"

I also loved the way that Jermaine and the demon walked off together. Apparently they developed a surprisingly close roommate relationship over the years.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 24, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Adventure Time sucks! The good times are over!

Adventure Time's back! It's awesome again!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
That felt like the best Adventure Time episode in a long time.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Adventure Time sucks! The good times are over!

Adventure Time's back! It's awesome again!

I think a lot of people look for different things in Adventure Time, and Adventure Time now has a wide variety of episodes so these kinds of comments are inevitable whenever it appeals to a particular person's sensibilities. I like almost all of it so I've been fine with the direction its been taking, and still like when it does a simple Finn and Jake episode.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, chock full of jokes just like it should be.

Couple of points.

Guy in freezer?

Photo on wall.

Looks like Marcy, Martin and... something?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With the CN logo in the way I can't tell properly but freezer dude totally looks like the Highwayman from Over the Garden Wall

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Say Nothing posted:

Photo on wall.

We're back to 'Marcy is Finn's mother', I hope.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Finn the vampire human?
Then who the hell did he inherit his blond hair from?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sephirot carpet and Buster sword.

Come on you guys make me work to figure out these references.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, chock full of jokes just like it should be.

Couple of points.

Guy in freezer?

It looks like a different style than everything else, almost like a John K. design. I hope these kids doing cartoons now leave him in the Gen X dumpster where he belongs.

That photo looks like some 60s/hipster album cover or something. Hopefully just a visual reference and not more deep history about other characters. Marcy wouldn't have no kids.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That mug looks like a mug I've seen IRL. I can't tell who the character is to Google it though.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I like the McFly brand frozen chicken nuggets, personally.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Brandom Graham's a dude who shoves jokes into every corner of his panels. You guys should check out King City or Multiple Warheads if you like his style. The weird face-mug and the vehicle finn is messing with feel like they're ripped straight out of one of his comics.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Photo on wall.

Doesn't look like Marceline to me. Her skin isn't grey. It's just long black hair.

Could be Finn's mother though.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I can only assume Joshua would hang out with Gilgamesh from time to time.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tenebrais posted:

Doesn't look like Marceline to me. Her skin isn't grey. It's just long black hair.

Could be Finn's mother though.

Could be Marcline's mom.

Also, Jermaine had the ark of the covenant in his kitchen.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

What was the thing Finn was working on in the beginning of the episode? Just, a thing? I feel like I should know or remember what that was but I don't.

I liked this one a lot, for whatever it's worth. I will pray to whatever gods will listen to my pleas for no more incomprehensible Deep Meaning Episodes

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

nerdbot posted:

What was the thing Finn was working on in the beginning of the episode? Just, a thing? I feel like I should know or remember what that was but I don't.

I liked this one a lot, for whatever it's worth. I will pray to whatever gods will listen to my pleas for no more incomprehensible Deep Meaning Episodes

I feel like this was a great middle ground, because there was some meaning to dig into if you really wanted to (like all the poo poo about how to some extent Joshua wasn't even safeguarding dangerous artifacts, just being an rear end in a top hat and stealing posters and people's shoes and poo poo; stuff about responsibility, legacy, etc) but even if you totally ignore it the episode worked AWESOME as a funtime adventure jokey story. And, like you say, if you don't ignore and try to think about what was going on it wasn't incomprehensible and pretty easily accessible.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nerdbot posted:

A thing that shot a harpoon for some reason.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Also, Jermaine had the ark of the covenant in his kitchen.

With the Holy Grail right above it. :-)

Anyone recognize any other artifacts?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Ark of the covenant, or some demon's favourite storage chest? Holy grail, or some demon's favourite cup?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slime posted:

Ark of the covenant, or some demon's favourite storage chest? Holy grail, or some demon's favourite cup?

Everything is taken from demons.
Even that bear onesie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

A thing that shot a harpoon for some reason.

Oh, right! In that case, I'm gonna say he was going after a space lard for their sweet sweet milk.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...
Haven't watched a new episode of Adventure Time for a long while, but I had to check out the last episode, I've always wanted to learn more about Jermaine. It was great! It was cool seeing Finn and Jake with their other bro and their old home in the present. The demons were hilarious, especially Bryce and his odd friendship with Jermaine. Kinda sad their home burned down though, wonder where he's gonna go now?

On another note, I've never seen a show portray dreams as well as Adventure Time does.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like how when Finn ran upstairs it was the exact view we see when Marceline looks in on him dancing in the bathroom as a baby.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sephirot carpet and Buster sword.

Come on you guys make me work to figure out these references.

Buster Sword is totally canon.

Adventure Time #41.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

nerdbot posted:

I will pray to whatever gods will listen to my pleas for no more incomprehensible Deep Meaning Episodes

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I will pray for more episodes with inner meanings, so I guess we are going to cancel each other out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Mahler posted:

Brandom Graham's a dude who shoves jokes into every corner of his panels. You guys should check out King City or Multiple Warheads if you like his style. The weird face-mug and the vehicle finn is messing with feel like they're ripped straight out of one of his comics.

Yeah, I think there were easily half a dozen King City and Multiple Warheads references in this episode. Brandon Graham & Jesse Moynihan wrote it, so anyone trying to figure out a reference should really start with Brandon Graham's own comic universe.

• Locked thread