Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

bazinga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I like that they called back to the season opener with the room full of frisbees. They had to put them somewhere, didn't they?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

VagueRant posted:

I hated this one. That was some straight up season 4 garbage. Previous eps have usually had some actual jokes. I didn't really enjoy a single line there.

This show really is dead to me and it breaks my loving heart. :smith:

i now pronounce you "free to stop posting about a show you hate"

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
It's interesting this season that they've started directly referring to real pop culture rather than those vague facsimiles. Does Yahoo not care about offending people? It's arguably unimportant, but it does change the tone a little to have these characters existing in a world that more resembles our own. I mean, Doctor Who and Inspector Spacetime exist simultaneously now and if Jeff watched Parks and Rec, did he not catch the other comedy that aired with it for a few years?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Viginti posted:

It's interesting this season that they've started directly referring to real pop culture rather than those vague facsimiles. Does Yahoo not care about offending people? It's arguably unimportant, but it does change the tone a little to have these characters existing in a world that more resembles our own. I mean, Doctor Who and Inspector Spacetime exist simultaneously now and if Jeff watched Parks and Rec, did he not catch the other comedy that aired with it for a few years?

You might be overthinking it a bit.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Surprised/proud of this thread for not already being littered with gifs of Annie pulling a laserbomb out of her cleavage.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
this episode was totally bazinga, like playing mario 64 on a poorly coded emulator.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Xelkelvos posted:

That was...an episode? Not that great I think. Also, in the pile of frisbees, it looks like a number of them were tied together. Was that on purpose or what?

They didn't have enough frisbees for a proper frisbee pit, so they made a frisbee quilt and threw it over some other garbage.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crindee posted:

Surprised/proud of this thread for not already being littered with gifs of Annie pulling a laserbomb out of her cleavage.

Oh, it's coming.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kayakyakr posted:

Oh, it's coming.

Shes older now, so its ok to sexualize her.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

Shes older now, so its ok to sexualize her.

They've spent most of the season infantilizing her, so boob pocket was a nice change of pace.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Back in season 3 Harmon said Doctor Who existed in the show's universe and was a ripoff of Spacetime. (They'd shown a Who video cover in the D&D episode.)

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Ah, that makes sense. I generally don't obsess over that kind of stuff, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of a veil this season between the shows world and our own. I'm sort of glad that they never felt the need to have someone say, 'Hey, this cafeteria business is a lot like Goodfellas' but all of the Chris Pratt stuff worked well enough that I was ok with it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
First episode this season I really enjoyed. The product placement self awareness wasn't that funny to me but I like that they really went with the lovely movie self awareness and actually had Jeff and Abed acknowledge it as bad.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, I thought that episode was bad too. Kinda the height of a Dan Harmon concept piece that isn't actually as clever/poignant as what they're going for. I can usually deal with it because I love the cast and it's usually funny, but I don't even remember many attempted jokes in this episode.

Community is usually up and down (except probably the first few seasons) but this one was really bad, especially in contrast to the Gay Dean/Karate Kid episode, which I'd rank with the best of the past seasons.

Also, they continue to lean way too hard on "Britta is the worst".

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
But guys, where did the green 3 come from?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Crindee posted:

I'd take that over most of the thread tbh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would have liked it if Chang stayed famous. The show's ending anyway, let him have a weird, undeserved happy ending to go with the "life doesn't have obvious messages" message.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StalkofWheat posted:

But guys, where did the green 3 come from?

That was definitely a bizarre thing that seemed to go on for too long.

Avulsion posted:

They didn't have enough frisbees for a proper frisbee pit, so they made a frisbee quilt and threw it over some other garbage.

But the fact that it was so blatantly obvious on camera was so strange.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Perhaps it was a meta-commentary on how crappy Community is but you live with it? Or something? I dunno.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Or one of those examples of Dan only deciding that they needed that prop on the morning of the scene.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Viginti posted:

I remember Dan Harmon saying once that he doesn't watch Parks and Rec even though he's heard it's amazing because he knows he'd compare Community to it, get too jealous and doesn't want to fan the flames of that. One wonders if Jeff's Chris Pratt obsession in this episode has shades of that somewhere in it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shneak posted:

I like that they really went with the lovely movie self awareness and actually had Jeff and Abed acknowledge it as bad.

Ditto. Abed made a terrible movie in season 4 (the purpose of which so that S4's hack writers could make a bunch of tired jokes about amateur filmmaking) and I remember being annoyed that they never addressed the fact that Abed (1) was a competent filmmaker and (2) never would have released a film that didn't meet his lofty standards.

That said, the episode was still eight minutes too long and lacking in all of the qualities that made "classic" Community good.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 29, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

That was definitely a bizarre thing that seemed to go on for too long.

It seems like it'd have been way too easy to edit them out with cg or just throw a couple obscuring frisbees on top.

I'm agreeing with meta commentary guy because this is the school we've seen descend into nightmarish hellscapes in hours but they can't throw together better looking sci-fi props?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Where's the goddamn gif?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, the commenters over at AV Club really loved this episode.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bown posted:

How dare they

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bown posted:

I agree with them. :v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I remember being annoyed that they never addressed the fact that Abed (1) was a competent filmmaker and (2) never would have released a film that didn't meet his lofty standards.

What?

Competent filmmaker?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bown posted:

Do people really care that much about AV Club reviews? And they gave it a C+?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look man, if you don't think that's amazing I don't know what to tell you

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Abed has always been crummy at making movies, or at least not very good. It's something I thought about when watching the episode: over six years, he's never really gotten any better at his stated life's work and passion. That's kind of sad!

e: actually Six Candles might be his best one ever. Shocking if true.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 29, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Look man, if you don't think that's amazing I don't know what to tell you

Oh, I think it's amazing, but competent? Ehhh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rapeface posted:

Do people really care that much about AV Club reviews? And they gave it a C+?

Commenters, rapeface. I wrote "commenters".

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Maybe I'm the worst too, but what movie was abed referencing at the end of the episode?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Abed has always been crummy at making movies, or at least not very good. It's something I thought about when watching the episode: over six years, he's never really gotten any better at his stated life's work and passion. That's kind of sad!

The writers have a compulsion to put the toys back into the toybox, but since they're shedding characters anyway, and on their last mini-season I cannot understand their resistance to character arcs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Few Good Men. It's the one that ends with "you want the truth? You can't handle the truth!".

Britta meanwhile thought it was a reference to Pink Floyd's The Wall.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TequilaJesus posted:

Maybe I'm the worst too, but what movie was abed referencing at the end of the episode?

A Few Good Men.

Edit: beaten.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pick posted:

I would have liked it if Chang stayed famous. The show's ending anyway, let him have a weird, undeserved happy ending to go with the "life doesn't have obvious messages" message.

He may not be a celebrity, but I thought he kind of got a happy ending at the end of this episode, to some degree... at least compared to back when he desperately wanted to be a part of the study group, but was ostracized by them. He said earlier in the episode that he didn't have anything to go back to at Greendale, but he was able to go right back into the group and fit back in without a word spoken about it by anyone.

Android Blues posted:

e: actually Six Candles might be his best one ever. Shocking if true.

Well, aside from the movie from this week's episode. The audience did seem to enjoy it.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where was Harmon's wheel that episode, anyway?

• Locked thread