Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This is the correct way to get back into the community. Grats all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leave your bottles untouched, gentlemen.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
People who pirated 5.0 are asking for help with its translation file issues and the author is calling it the "unofficial" version. :golfclap:

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
arghh did anyone grab the ripples and spray files for smc, i forgot the compatibility patches for both. the mod author just hid it minutes ago

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

calusari posted:

arghh did anyone grab the ripples and spray files for smc, i forgot the compatibility patches for both. the mod author just hid it minutes ago

I think I might have one of them but I am not sure. Can you be more specific? I have a mod called RIPPLES but I have no idea if it's up to date.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

i got the main files all i need are the compatibility patches

RIPPLES v1 RW2 compatible mesh-58452-
RIPPLES v1 WATERv2_1 compatible mesh-58452-1-0
SPRAY with WATER meshes-64648-
SPRAY with RW2 mesh and wave water texture-64648-1-0

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Don't have any of those, sorry!

eta: Thinking about it, lacking the RW2 compat patches might explain why sometimes my water surfaces look super crap.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there any big list of recommended Oblivion mods? I've got a pretty good setup right now, but I'd like to go through some sort of best of the best list to see if anything catches my eye.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

calusari posted:

i got the main files all i need are the compatibility patches

RIPPLES v1 RW2 compatible mesh-58452-
RIPPLES v1 WATERv2_1 compatible mesh-58452-1-0
SPRAY with WATER meshes-64648-
SPRAY with RW2 mesh and wave water texture-64648-1-0

Here you go. I included the main files as well, for anyone else who might need them.

e: changed to a folder link, my SMC is up to date (except I think for some 4k Skyrim files), so if anyone has any requests let me know and I'll put them in there. My internet is terrible and quota limited (:australia:), so bigger things may be slow or impossible. For now I'll put that guy's other capslock mods up.

e2: changed link again because gently caress u mediafire :mad:

fentan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 30, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Here are all the ripples mods I have - https://www.dropbox.com/s/he2f8jj9x39oavy/Ripples.zip?dl=0

efb by commander shepard

Also, re: SMC chat. My system isn't the best to show off, but here is what I'm working with:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Also, re: SMC chat. My system isn't the best to show off, but here is what I'm working with:

What are your system specs if you don't mind my asking?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Is there any big list of recommended Oblivion mods? I've got a pretty good setup right now, but I'd like to go through some sort of best of the best list to see if anything catches my eye.

I don't have a big list but I use Maskars oblivion overhaul and oblvionxp and it solves p much all my beefs with the base game. Maskars has some uhhhh questionable model choices but considering the stuff that shows up on oblivions nexus front-page nowadays the mod is practically prudish. Just make sure you change the model that the female Dremora use in the ini because the default one was loving comical comic book high-heel poo poo. You want to go through it's ini regardless because there is just so much options and its p easy user friendly for an ini.
There is also Oblivion character overhaul which just makes all the characters look p drat nice except the khajiit who were not fully able to escape potato land. You need to have block head installed for it though. Those are my basics for gameplay and anything beyond those is just icing for me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/42780/ :MOO
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35333/ :OBXP
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/43752/ :block head
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44676/ :OCO V.2

EDIT- I forgot to mention the unofficial patches but those are a given. The thing is though unlike skyrim where they are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED but you can conceivably run fine with out them, oblivion is so broken that YOU NEED THE PATCHES. Theres a whole lot more game breakers in oblivion.
I also actually just now read your post and saw you are already running with poo poo and I gave you beginner stuff so woops.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 29, 2015

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I posted some stuff I use on the last page. The UI stuff is necessary if you're coming from playing Skyrim.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=335#post444649039

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't think most of those do anything I don't have a mod for already unfortunately. I will grab that denock arrows mod from that list though. That big overhaul looks really cool, but I have way too many mods to consider using it on this playthrough.

I also want to chime in on how loving cool better cities is. All of the cities actually look interesting now, and there's actually things worth stealing since it adds in a bunch of high end shops and includes the Vaults of Cyrodiil mod as an optional esp. Unfortunately it did add in voice acted french prostitutes in Bravil complete with obnoxious looking hair meshes, but hey, nothing's perfect.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 29, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

KakerMix posted:

Just the gate gate guy.

wait what do british kiddy diddlers have to do with skyrim?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Keiya posted:

wait what do british kiddy diddlers have to do with skyrim?

More than anybody wants, really.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

fentan posted:

Here you go. I included the main files as well, for anyone else who might need them.

e: changed to a folder link, my SMC is up to date (except I think for some 4k Skyrim files), so if anyone has any requests let me know and I'll put them in there. My internet is terrible and quota limited (:australia:), so bigger things may be slow or impossible. For now I'll put that guy's other capslock mods up.

Cheers! Here are the 2k versions if anyone prefers: https://mega.nz/#F!Zlk2gYrB!rbRkr6jL3DdB9f5AxbRdMw

Do you have this Little rocks redone file? I have the main file but not the fix.

rockgrass01 fix-56954-

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Added rockgrass01 fix-56954- (+ the main file) to the folder.

fentan fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone have a copy of Morrowind Skooma Circa 3rd Era 427-429? This is literally my favorite mod and it has been killed thanks to Paid Mod Gate

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9983/

GunnerJ posted:

What are your system specs if you don't mind my asking?

Core i5 3.3 GHZ, GTX 670 (I think???) and 16GB RAM.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Here's a running list of SMC mods no longer available on the Nexus. I'll post an update occasionally as this thread is updated, and as I go through the list.

Everything by RAMCCOID (reason given: "I've had enough.")
LEAVES
MIST
OIL
RAIN
STEAM
SPRAY
SOUL
SNOW

Other authors
Auriel's Statue and Shrine
Jurgen windcallers tomb HD textures 2048
Little Rocks Redone
Skyrim Ultra HD Texture Pack
Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Here's a running list of SMC mods no longer available on the Nexus. I'll post an update occasionally as this thread is updated, and as I go through the list.

Everything by RAMCCOID (reason given: "I've had enough.")
LEAVES
MIST
OIL
RAIN
STEAM
SPRAY
SOUL
SNOW

Other authors
Auriel's Statue and Shrine
Jurgen windcallers tomb HD textures 2048
Little Rocks Redone
Skyrim Ultra HD Texture Pack
Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

If anyone had an archive of Ramccoid's textures, preferably the 2048 ones, that'd be cool. I have most of them installed, but I'm not sure they're all the 2048 ones.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Check calusari's link a few posts up. I'll put the other missing ones up in my folder, but Skyrim Realistic Overhaul is already around as a torrent.

edit: holy poo poo I never realised what hot trash mediafire was until I tried to use it for uploading. Switching to mega. Missing SMC files.

fentan fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 30, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone have a copy of Morrowind Skooma Circa 3rd Era 427-429? This is literally my favorite mod and it has been killed thanks to Paid Mod Gate

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9983/

Core i5 3.3 GHZ, GTX 670 (I think???) and 16GB RAM.

What does it do?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Bethesda really should have done something like Bohemia's Make Arma not War contest instead.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, okay. I've been playing for 38 hours now, I probably should stop until I get the fix-mods in.

Let me double-check that I have the procedure correct:

1. Back up my saves
  2. Download and install Mod Organizer to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
  3. Download and install SKSE to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
  4. Using Mod Organizer, install the Unofficial Patches for Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn.
  5. Using Mod Organizer, install Weapons And Armor Fixes, Clothing & Clutter Fixes, Run For Your Lives, When Vampires Attack.
  6. Using Mod Organizer, install SkyUI.
  7. Fiddle with load order until it works?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LoonShia posted:

What does it do?

Makes Skooma have the stats/effects that it did in Morrowind, and I think add a major draw back once you get addicted.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

CJ posted:

The issue with that is apparently the Skywind people weren't interested in selling it (maybe they would have been before the backlash), and with it being a remake of a Bethesda game it might have damaged their reputation if it ended up being a bit rough a round the edges and caused confusion over whether it was a Bethesda product or a third party. But yeah i think using a big expansion style mod as the flagship to launch the system would have gone down a lot better than the console armour. It still doesn't really solve the whole compatibility thing if you are still intent on letting anything be sold with no quality check though. It's commendable in a way in wanting to make it a level playing field with no bias on what constitutes a worthwhile mod but it ends up creating more problems than it solves when everyone ends up happy with a bunch of poor quality conflicting mods and you aren't willing to give a refund past 24 hours.

Skyrim was just a bad choice all around. It would have pissed people off as well, but Cities: Skylines would have been a far better choice if they had insisted on pushing for paid mods.

Oh well, I'm more of fan of total conversion mods like Nehrim and soon to be released Enderal rather than trying to improve Oblivion/Skyrim. Because polishing Bethesda's poo poo means it still poo poo.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

Keiya posted:

So, okay. I've been playing for 38 hours now, I probably should stop until I get the fix-mods in.

Let me double-check that I have the procedure correct:

1. Back up my saves
  2. Download and install Mod Organizer to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
  3. Download and install SKSE to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim
  4. Using Mod Organizer, install the Unofficial Patches for Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn.
  5. Using Mod Organizer, install Weapons And Armor Fixes, Clothing & Clutter Fixes, Run For Your Lives, When Vampires Attack.
  6. Using Mod Organizer, install SkyUI.
  7. Fiddle with load order until it works?

mod organizer has loot (sorts your load order automatically) built in

i'd install enb and enboost as well, it improves performance considerably

calusari fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Keiya posted:

:stare:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So there is only one mod I would even consider paying for with how big it is and I enjoyed it immensely.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10738

Looks like he posted his take on it too.

quote:

-------------------------------ON THE TOPIC OF PAID MODS------------------------------------------------------------------------

To respond, here's what I wrote on the Nexus:

When I was contacted by Bethesda on this paid modding thing a few months ago (at GDC2015), I actually started thinking about doing another moonpath. A new story with new assets and with all the lessons learned.

Why you might ask? because of paid mods off-course. Moonpath is not depended on any other mod, and what I do is very insular and solo. And doing a new version would mean being able to earn money off it, perhaps even a enough to live of off. Not that I'm unhappy with my day-job , far from it, but the prospect was just to fantastic. Earn money from my work, how outrageous.

I realize Valve and Bethesda made a lot of mistakes, and going for skyrim instead of a fresh game (say, a new fallout) seemed strange. But the potential was and is huge, especially for modders like myself. I don't make armor sets or lighting tweaks, I told a story that brought together all kinds of modding disciplines, art , programming etc etc. I don't use existing assets and create most things myself. To be able to actually do this and provide for myself seemed to good to be true. And I feel especially quest and new land mods would have benefited tremendously.

Now I know the skyrim modding community is old and its own thing. And without the tools and lessons learned I would have had a hard time of modding. And I'm also deeply grateful for the talented members that dedicated time to help out with writing and voice acting. And this is a reason I will never put the original moonpath up for sale. It shall remain free.

But I don't believe earning an income is counter to community, look at the indie game community and how close and supportive that has become. And those that share will always share, even when it means someone else also makes money. For my indie game Oberon's Court I've shared my shaders and graphical pipeline already, and my game is still in development.

Furthermore I am already paying the voice actors for the work on my new game, instead of relying on volunteers. That's what commercial work does, you become a professional , and that means you invest.

But now I've stopped any plans on a new moonpath, and staying away from modding for a continued absence. The pitchforks and community outrage have honestly shocked me. There are modders being doxed and harassed because of their stance, that is unacceptable.

We are creative people, who continuously invest time and resources in, and we have a moral and practical authority to choose how we distribute our work, and why and how we apply our talent.

But 130.000 people just screamed out at me, you cannot make money from your the sweat of your brow. we have decided this for you. I did not realize I had to ask permission.

I shall not ask permission, now and in the future, but feel less inclined than ever to create a sequel to the Moonpath.

Why should I be a part of a gamer community or give freely, if it means losing autonomy over my work. Wasn't that what this was about, autonomy. Not being owned by the AAA studios and publishers.
Well being owned by a gamer community seems just as bad to me. Especially if it means my work becomes de facto public property.

I am not talking about the nexus, but me losing the moral ownership of my work to the pitchfork crowd. A crowd that just makes demands and forces its opinions on the matter on me.

So goodbye, and I say this with sadness and gratitude. I've met some extraordinary people here and on the workshop, I've learned to love and appreciate the support of gamers, and I've become a better game developer thru it. But take away a path to bigger and better things, and you also take away a reason stay around for too long.

--------------------------- Notes for other modders------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I did honestly contemplate removing the Nexus version of the Moonpath after all the disturbing events. Not as a transfer to paid, but as a statement in favor of what Valve and Bethesda where trying to do.

I've decided against this, because of all the people that supported this mod at the nexus, and where a part in its creation. It belongs here, but there will be no sequal or any additions by my hand.

To all modders using moonpath assets: Feel free to use any and all assets I created for the moonpath. Feel free to make money of it , if that option ever turns up. A shoutout to myself or my projects is always appreciated but never required.

Looks like he's making Oberon's Court which was recently Greenlit.

Unless I grossly missed something, this guy seems the most sane of all the modders I've seen thus far.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Don't install MO to your Skyrim folder, it installs itself to it's own location, it's intentional so you can keep your skyrim install clean of mods.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Malek posted:

So there is only one mod I would even consider paying for with how big it is and I enjoyed it immensely.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=10738

Looks like he posted his take on it too.

Looks like he's making Oberon's Court which was recently Greenlit.

Unless I grossly missed something, this guy seems the most sane of all the modders I've seen thus far.

They didn't, but the 'I thought about removing ~my mod~ to spite you' statement is pretty childish and stoops to the level of the people he's complaining about. The idea that content creators are above players is toxic no matter who it comes from.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Tanbo posted:

Don't install MO to your Skyrim folder, it installs itself to it's own location, it's intentional so you can keep your skyrim install clean of mods.

I put the Mod Organizer folder a level up above the Skyrim folder, so C:\Games\Skyrim and C:\Games\Mod Organizer Skyrim

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kinda wish someone would at least do a patch of Moonpath that gets rid of the alterations to the Falkreath inn and just has you talk to an NPC so it's not a compatibility clusterfuck.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Moonpath is one of the mods I would pay for, but its compatibility is still terrible. He seems sane and all, but the potential for mods that weren't total conversions/new landmasses was never as big as he seems to think it was.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

KakerMix posted:

They didn't, but the 'I thought about removing ~my mod~ to spite you' statement is pretty childish and stoops to the level of the people he's complaining about. The idea that content creators are above players is toxic no matter who it comes from.

To his defense, it was pretty shite one way or another, but I concur, it was a bit "too much transparency" and definitely spiteful. Either way, it's one of my favorite mods (from way back) and I was curious as to his take on the whole thing.

After having a ton of conversations about this with others, this whole thing was pretty much the coke bottle from "The Gods Must Be Crazy."

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Malek posted:

To his defense, it was pretty shite one way or another, but I concur, it was a bit "too much transparency" and definitely spiteful. Either way, it's one of my favorite mods (from way back) and I was curious as to his take on the whole thing.

After having a ton of conversations about this with others, this whole thing was pretty much the coke bottle from "The Gods Must Be Crazy."

i dunno, that kinda' makes it seem like the response to this was in any way unforeseeable by valve, bethesda, or any of the modders valve approached

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I see Totalbiscuit has a 1 hour and 51 minute video up about "the modding scene" marked with "strong language". I hated myself just for reading the title of the video and felt a slight deep temptation to watch Gopher vids until i was in a vegetable state instead. Anyone hated themselves enough to have watched it?

edit: link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aavBAplp5A

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I wouldn't listen to my mother monologue for 2 hours who the gently caress is going to listen to some random dude on the internet bitch about video games for that long :wtc:

What even goes through your head when you release that? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

He's got one pro-paid modder, and another modder whose neutral. Nobody who is against it, though. Brumbek (for those who recognize him) is also there and he rants about how everyone against paid mods are a bunch of trolls.

e: This is rich.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65261

• Locked thread