Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Sharmat posted:

So the "Any computer that can run TW2 can run TW3" thing going around awhile back is bullshit right?

Why would anyone believe this or pretend/hope that it's true? Witcher 2 came out 4 years ago, of course its minimum specs aren't going to be the same as a modern game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gorgolflox posted:

That's no Juggalo, that is Sting.

I concur, I just haven't watched wrestling in so long I forgot the exact configuration of his Crow style facepaint.

FuriousGeorge posted:

No this is Sting.

This is the best post though.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Elukka posted:

The minimums are kinda worryingly high but minimums vary anywhere from "well the game will start" to "you can run it pretty well".

I would say CDPR's minimum's are probably closer to the "you can run it pretty well" end of the spectrum, but perhaps my faith is misplaced.

Clearly the answer here is to buy Comte a bunch of hardware so he can test it for us pre-release.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man I really like the new potion system, at least in theory/on paper. Seems like a pretty decent compromise between making potions cost a decent amount of resources without requiring you to horde 5,000 herbs.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm just stoked you can use potions mid-fight. I'm running through TW2 again and I'm loathe to keep my potions up as it's massively inconvenient.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soarer posted:

Since we're having GPU talk, with all of the praise coming for the GTX 970 I am now questioning my dual 7970 set up. It's more total VRAM but I don't know how that all works with the diminishing losses through CF.

Total VRAM doesn't matter, since each card has to hold everything for processing the scene. 2x4GB cards can do more processing than one 4GB card, since they have roughly twice as long as to produce a frame, but they can't operate on bigger textures or render targets or such.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there a carry weight limit in the new game? please say no.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Real hurthling! posted:

is there a carry weight limit in the new game? please say no.

Yes there is.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If I buy WItcher 3 without playing the first 2 games will I be hopelessly confused? I would play the first 2 games but I don't have a lot of extra time and the open world of Witcher 3 looks cool to me.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

If I buy WItcher 3 without playing the first 2 games will I be hopelessly confused? I would play the first 2 games but I don't have a lot of extra time and the open world of Witcher 3 looks cool to me.

Probably but it doesn't sound like plot is a big deal to you anyways so it's likely no big deal. I doubt you'll be confused by gameplay mechanics (if they're similar to W2).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm about halfway through reading The Time of Contempt. I just finished reading the chapter on Geralt's experiences at the Sorcerers' party. That poo poo was funny, and I laughed even harder later when I realized that all the mages eying him up are actually a couple centuries old. It went from a bunch of hotties toying with the man meat to a bunch of batty old women hitting on the young stable boy. I honestly get a kick out of Sapkowski's dialogue, he really has a talent for writing about witty assholes.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
UGH, I'm caught at an impasse now. I can't decide if I want to upgrade from my 7870 now just for this game. I haven't played a proper game that it hasn't been able to handle fully maxed out. It even runs Killing Floor 2 at max everything at like 40-50 fps. Also spending $280 after factoring in a free video game is also a big deal.
Wonder if the 7870 will have similar performance to the PS4?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes there is.

Well at least the inventory seems a ton better.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I'm in the same boat as you except I don't have anything that would play the first 2 anyway. The developers claim that they designed it so that new players could just jump in on this one without needing to know all the history.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The Witcher games always have a ton of lore/backstory in glossary and journal entries, so even if you're lost in the beginning you'll probably be fine if you just take your time to get to know the world.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes there is.

I'm ok with this if they finally let us store some items in a personal box or treasure chest or bank or something, but it's a huge bummer if you'll have to spend a bunch of time dropping/ferrying poo poo like crafting ingredients because you can't carry enough Ore or Wood. I'm fine with having to pick how much poo poo to take on a quest vs how much loot I can bring back, but having it get in the way of just playing the game is always annoying.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There will be a way to mod it/hack it/fix it pretty quickly probably.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

VDay posted:

I'm ok with this if they finally let us store some items in a personal box or treasure chest or bank or something, but it's a huge bummer if you'll have to spend a bunch of time dropping/ferrying poo poo like crafting ingredients because you can't carry enough Ore or Wood. I'm fine with having to pick how much poo poo to take on a quest vs how much loot I can bring back, but having it get in the way of just playing the game is always annoying.

I am willing to bet you will be able to store stuff in the saddlebags of your horse, probably some sort of limit on how much you can though. In the Witcher 2 though there was a storage chest you could store stuff in at every Inn.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
You could store stuff at inns in Witcher 1 too. I doubt that's going away.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not sure how I completely forgot about being able to store stuff, although I still remember encumbrance/inventory management being kind of a pain in the rear end, especially when it was time to craft armors, etc. Maybe it was just really low when Witcher 2 first came out or something, or maybe I'm just crazy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think the storage chests existed when Witcher 2 first came out, I believe they added those in a patch.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
I actually kind of like inventory limits because it helps keep my unnecessary hoarder tendencies in check.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lycus posted:

I don't think the storage chests existed when Witcher 2 first came out, I believe they added those in a patch.

No, I definitely remember the storage box in Flotsam before the EE came out.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I looked it up and yeah it was added in a patch: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_storage

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Archimago posted:

I actually kind of like inventory limits because it helps keep my unnecessary hoarder tendencies in check.

Hell naw, 0 weight mod all day son. I need all that poo poo. I NEED IT.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hell naw, 0 weight mod all day son. I need all that poo poo. I NEED IT.

YOU NEVER USE IT

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VDay posted:

I looked it up and yeah it was added in a patch: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_storage

You weren't crazy. But seriously, I personally don't mind weight limits, but no storage was silly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weight limits always do nothing but annoy me and don't really make the game harder. At least they are really easy to mod away.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

YOU NEVER USE IT

But one day I will. I need all of these Cat potions and twines.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Geforce GTX 860M
Core i7
16gb ram

Is it gonna run?

Well it's a 60W Maxwell first gen, should be about as good as a 120$ GTX 750 card. Low/Medium without MSAA, maybe?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Andrast posted:

Weight limits always do nothing but annoy me and don't really make the game harder. At least they are really easy to mod away.

Hoarder trap sprung.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That's why I like limits. Otherwise I'd hoard everything forever and then I'd have to wade through hundreds of items to find what I need.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

YOU NEVER USE IT

Shut up, I might need those 50 pieces of lumber if I actually start crafting!

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Elukka posted:

That's why I like limits. Otherwise I'd hoard everything forever and then I'd have to wade through hundreds of items to find what I need.

This guy gets it. Having no limit can lead to cluttered inventory UI.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Archimago posted:

I prefer to feed those tendencies and watch them grow, thank you. No weight limit is the best so I can pick up literally everything that isn't bolted to the ground and stuff it into my magical infinity pockets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PoE did a good job, with limited "real inventory" slots and an always-accessible infinite stash.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

PoE did a good job, with limited "real inventory" slots and an always-accessible infinite stash.

PoE also has the option to limit the access to the stash for the people wanted more limits on the inventory space.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Andrast posted:

PoE also has the option to limit the access to the stash for the people wanted more limits on the inventory space.

Yeah, in case "choose to not use stash except when I'm in an inn" was too complicated for some players. :)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hey I've been avoiding any details about this game so sorry if this has been answered, but is there any compelling reason to play this on PC over PS4 besides how it will look? Access to DLC, certain game modes, etc. I know I'll miss out on the modding train, of course, but my i5-4570 3.20 and my HD7980 claim they both need to be upgraded to run Witcher and I think I'd just rather pay a tenth of the price.

That is, unless I'm missing something important?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

black.lion posted:

Hey I've been avoiding any details about this game so sorry if this has been answered, but is there any compelling reason to play this on PC over PS4 besides how it will look? Access to DLC, certain game modes, etc. I know I'll miss out on the modding train, of course, but my i5-4570 3.20 and my HD7980 claim they both need to be upgraded to run Witcher and I think I'd just rather pay a tenth of the price.

Only big difference is graphical quality and frame rate, everything else is basically identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

black.lion posted:

Your PC should give you graphic details at least on par with PS4, but of course we'll have to wait for benchmarks..

• Locked thread