Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Show cut out Jorah's back story with his ex wife which IMO adds alot to his character. Not only does Dany look like his ex wife, she is also, like his wife, too high born for him. It's one of my favorite origin story in the book actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

The stark kids are becoming super competent - jon as commander, arya as a assassin, bran as a wizard. sansa is clearly being set up to be the family's political genius and i'd be shocked if she tired to murder anyone directly

They're all survivors, and seeing each of them come in to their own after all that's happened has been pretty great.

Edit:

whatever7 posted:

Show cut out Jorah's back story with his ex wife which IMO adds alot to his character. Not only does Dany look like his ex wife, she is also, like his wife, too high born for him. It's one of my favorite origin story in the book actually.

Not the right thread for this, brah.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Ballz posted:

quote:

Isn't it? It's not spoiling anything... And since this is for people who haven't read the books, I like getting more background information like that.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Hobo Erotica posted:

Isn't it? It's not spoiling anything... And since this is for people who haven't read the books, I like getting more background information like that.
[/quote]

If it doesn't appear on the show it's not for this thread. Anything regarding the books is to be discussed in the spoiler thread.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

In that case I would like to formally register my disapproval and vote in favour of including in this thread non-spoiler background information from the books that we don't get in the show which enhances our knowledge of this universe because we're not going to read the other thread for obvious reasons.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Hobo Erotica posted:

In that case I would like to formally register my disapproval and vote in favour of including in this thread non-spoiler background information from the books that we don't get in the show which enhances our knowledge of this universe because we're not going to read the other thread for obvious reasons.

Just consider that the books and the show are two different universes and if it doesn't appear on the show it doesn't exist.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's the sort of thing that might come up in a future scene's dialogue and you'd have effectively spoiled people on it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
He mentions his wife in two sentences during season 1. Dany is asking him about his background and asks if he has a wife. Jorah says "she's in another land...with another man". :smith: I want to say it was S1 Ep 2 or 3.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It's the sort of thing that might come up in a future scene's dialogue and you'd have effectively spoiled people on it

Yeah ok fair enough that kind of makes sense. Blanket rules have a place I guess.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Funny thing is... after this season the book material will probably be all but dried up. Unless GRRM releases Book 6 before Season 6 (and he seems to be trying very hard to make this happen), Season 6 will be as unknown to book readers as show watchers. Still, there are enough cut side-plots and characters who might appear that it still would be better to keep two separate threads.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I got the impression she might be deciding to beat Margaery at her own game and suddenly look like the "Queen mother" is suddenly the most compassionate person in the world to the plight of the downtrodden before making a move on Margaery. She's too beloved right now.

Either way I get the impression that poo poo is going to go down between them and I don't like Margaery's chances, at all. She's a very skilled politician but I don't think she quite realizes Cersei is also pretty psychopathic and will take a poo poo on the rulebook Margery is playing with if push comes to shove.

Long story short: I fear we might see Margery's head on a pike before this is over.

You sure? Margaery seems quite aware that Cersei is a crazy person all to ready to use violence.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nevermind

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Brienne is the villain of the show.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

The stark kids are becoming super competent - jon as commander, arya as a assassin, bran as a wizard. sansa is clearly being set up to be the family's political genius and i'd be shocked if she tired to murder anyone directly

My money's on Sansa being useless forever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, I haven't read the books and recall Jorah talking about his wife and lands.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Erotica posted:

It's hard to know what will be a spoiler since they're starting to deviate more from the books- they could drop in material from earlier, change it entirely, have it factor into some new development, etc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's hard to know what will be a spoiler since they're starting to deviate more from the books- they could drop in material from earlier, change it entirely, have it factor into some new development, etc.

Yeah, someone in this very thread mentioned how someone had told them Cersei had gotten a prophecy that all her children would die, but don't worry, the show was past that part in the books so it probably wasn't going to come up

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Yureina posted:

Funny thing is... after this season the book material will probably be all but dried up. Unless GRRM releases Book 6 before Season 6 (and he seems to be trying very hard to make this happen), Season 6 will be as unknown to book readers as show watchers. Still, there are enough cut side-plots and characters who might appear that it still would be better to keep two separate threads.
I think that the spoiler thread will gradually become the actual spoiler (i.e. from the casting and so on) thread. And then, nobody will want to read it and it'll drop into oblivion. I'm planning to go unspoiled next season, myself.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Did Jorah ever learn of his father's death at Craster's Keep, or did that news not make it to Slaver's Bay?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Why was grand assassin Jaquen hanging out at King's Landing in the dungeons way back in season 2? Or was that just a convenient plot device for him to meet Arry and who cares why?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Spartan421 posted:

Why was grand assassin Jaquen hanging out at King's Landing in the dungeons way back in season 2? Or was that just a convenient plot device for him to meet Arry and who cares why?

Maybe he was someone else before he was Jaqen :ssh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

King Robert Baratheon, god of death? Was him running the country into the ground just a ploy to lure out the assholes of the realm all along? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spartan421 posted:

He decided to go pick a fight with Barristan Selmy since he figured that guy was all talk.

When he regained consciousness he was locked up in a cage on his way to the Wall :smug:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Re: Jorah's backstory, he briefly explains it to Dany as they approach Vaes Dothrak. Nothing of how it was initially a romantic whirlwind with the tourney and such, but he does infer the same general desperation to keep his love life together, which fell apart anyway.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dick Jones posted:

Did Jorah ever learn of his father's death at Craster's Keep, or did that news not make it to Slaver's Bay?

He probably doesn't know... although it's possible Tyrion learned of the Lord Commander's death before things went to poo poo in King's Landing. Since Tyrion met Jeor way back in season 1, there may be some interesting conversation to come out of it.

Spartan421 posted:

No explanation. I'm not even 100% convinced that the Jaqen who greeted Arya is the same person she met in Westeros. The person just put it on for Arya after she mentioned him by name. There may be a whole pile of Jaqen H'ghar faces just lying around in some back room of the House of Black and White.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Jerusalem posted:

He decided to go pick a fight with Barristan Selmy since he figured that guy was all talk.

When he regained consciousness he was locked up in a cage on his way to the Wall :smug:

Jaqen wanted to see what all the rage about Miranese knots was.

When he regained consciousness he was locked up in a cage on his way to the Wall

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Janos's "I'm... scared, I've always been scared." was probably one of the most touching scenes in the last couple seasons.

God drat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Here we go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hedrigall posted:

Ned? Seen in King's Landing not long before Jaqen first appears, intimately familiar with death, has a proven desire to help Arya become a better fighter, and for the clincher; faceless.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

kiimo posted:

Here we go.

The Jaqen we have now did say "There is only one god, and you already know his name"

Edit: Paraphrasing

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

COOL CORN posted:

Janos's "I'm... scared, I've always been scared." was probably one of the most touching scenes in the last couple seasons.

God drat.
The only honest words to ever come out of his mouth.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
While reading the wiki about the God of Death and Jaqen I learned that The Waif, the girl in the House of Black and White that was smacking Arya with the caine, is blind. I totally missed that somehow, I just thought she was a jerk.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Ballz posted:

No explanation. I'm not even 100% convinced that the Jaqen who greeted Arya is the same person she met in Westeros. The person just put it on for Arya after she mentioned him by name. There may be a whole pile of Jaqen H'ghar faces just lying around in some back room of the House of Black and White.

I have two book-reader friends who won't shut the gently caress up about how dumb it is that Jaqen is the one showing her around. It'd be great really to have like six Faceless Men walk into the room all wearing Jaqen's face just to point out that it doesn't matter what they look like, no one is named Jaqen H'ghar.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MizPiz posted:

The Jaqen we have now did say "There is only one god, and you already know his name"

Edit: Paraphrasing

S... Syrio? :pray:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ballz posted:

S... Syrio? :pray:

He still lives, in all of our hearts. And he also lives because he isn't dead.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

While reading the wiki about the God of Death and Jaqen I learned that The Waif, the girl in the House of Black and White that was smacking Arya with the caine, is blind. I totally missed that somehow, I just thought she was a jerk.

If you've never read the books, do yourself a favor and don't google or wiki anything Game of Thrones related. You will eventually be spoiled on something. And don't repeat in this thread what you read elsewhere if it hasn't been in the show.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
I google stuff about Game of Thrones a lot. I don't care about spoilers anymore. There isn't that much book left that we haven't seen in the show already...

Of course I don't write here what I have read elsewhere because I'm not a jerk.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You kinda did...

Anyway, that was a great episode. I think I'm mostly looking forward to Arya's story-line this season.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Are we gonna see Bran soon or...?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thunderfinger posted:

Maybe next season, or the season after that.

edit: I have no actual knowledge; this post is a joke about sprawling plotlines, not a spoiler.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thunderfinger posted:

I'll spoil this juust in case people want to remain totally in the dark about casting/shooting developments (not a book spoiler): Both Bran and Hodor's actors confirmed they would not appear this season, but return next season

• Locked thread