Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Haskell is great if your simon peyton jones and you're inventing new language features to be adapted for real languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
uh I'll have you know that lots of high quality software is written in haskell like that one window manager for turbo nerds and that dvcs that only haskell users have ever used

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

lol every time Haskell comes up in YOSPOS the hater brigade has to make an appearance to tell everyone they disapprove of it. It's like Shaggar and non-Microsoft products except there are multiple Shaggars.

Haskell has its warts but it's pretty far from being a Bad Language™ the way PHP is.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

his website is pretty great

http://www.pjreddie.com/

see also, the original breathtaking resume

http://www.pjreddie.com/static/Redmon%20Resume.pdf

Oh poo poo, according to his website he'll be at a conference this year that I'll also be attending! I wanna party with this guy so bad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

VikingofRock posted:

lol every time Haskell comes up in YOSPOS the hater brigade has to make an appearance to tell everyone they disapprove of it. It's like Shaggar and non-Microsoft products except there are multiple Shaggars.

Haskell has its warts but it's pretty far from being a Bad Language™ the way PHP is.

php is also bad

more than one thing can be bad

they can be bad for different reasons even

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i used xmonad for a while but i could barely undertsand how to configure it

by a while i mean liek maybe 3 days

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

yet strangely php has been used to make a ton of software and haskell has been used to make.......

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

php is also bad

more than one thing can be bad

they can be bad for different reasons even

Yeah but most of the criticism against Haskell seems to be "it's different from other languages (and is thus hard to read for the uninitiated, etc)" and that doesn't make it a bad language IMO.

Again there are legit criticisms to be made about Haskell but the hater brigade never brings them up, and usually just makes themselves look dumb by complaining about monads

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

haskell is one of the least bad languages out there imho

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

never having programmed a haskell, the worst thing about it is its fanbase

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

fart simpson posted:

haskell is one of the least bad languages out there imho

that must be why it is used by most developers for important projects

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bobbilljim posted:

that must be why it is used by most developers for important projects

i dont really believe in the just world theory

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah but most of the criticism against Haskell seems to be "it's different from other languages (and is thus hard to read for the uninitiated, etc)" and that doesn't make it a bad language IMO.

Again there are legit criticisms to be made about Haskell but the hater brigade never brings them up, and usually just makes themselves look dumb by complaining about monads

it's legit tough to jump into any existing haskell code base, moreso than other languages. even for people with moderate experience it's going to take way more energy to find your way. if you say otherwise you're a liar.

haskell is a really cool language but at this point it's pretty clear that's all it will ever be.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

it's legit tough to jump into any existing haskell code base, moreso than other languages. even for people with moderate experience it's going to take way more energy to find your way. if you say otherwise you're a liar.

haskell is a really cool language but at this point it's pretty clear that's all it will ever be.

Nah that's all accurate. I'm pretty much :agreed:

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

fritz posted:

never having programmed a haskell, the worst thing about it is its fanbase

comin' in here with their monads, and their capital letters :argh:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Haskell is perfectly fine for its purpose which is being a development language for simon peyton jones. as none of us are simon peyton jones its a poor choice for us

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think we have Haskell stuff in production, released a piece of it a while ago. I don't know why Haskell was chosen for it specifically.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

or i could just use F# :twisted:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i googled the name and here's the first vid to come up lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmkqocn0oQ

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i do want to learn functional programming in theory but i don't know what the hell i'd use it for and all the languages are terrible but in their own different ways

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i always think functional languages should be really good for machine learning but i have absolutely no reason to think that and no evidence to support such a thought

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Learn a functional language to get better at designing programs in a useful language. might as well make it haskell.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

haskell and erlang have to do all this stuff from scratch

Yep. Lots of time sunk into that. It's starting to get to a usable state that is not "eh at least it's not makefiles everywhere anymore", but not fully there yet. You see benefits when you get in niches where other languages haven't even started making a foray (poo poo like distributed tracing, shells, code loading and so on) and that's where the cost/benefit analysis might sway you for tooling.

But otherwise you'll only enjoy your time if your problems fit the language niche to a point that the productivity gained with the language is going to be good enough in your problem space to counteract the far less mature tooling in other areas, until at least tooling gets to a better state to offset this a bit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fleshweasel posted:

i googled the name and here's the first vid to come up lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmkqocn0oQ

the title of the video is funny but if you actually watch the whole thing it's not a very good representation of what he's actually saying

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Luigi Thirty posted:

i do want to learn functional programming in theory but i don't know what the hell i'd use it for and all the languages are terrible but in their own different ways

just pick a fp language and learn it. it's fun and there's no reason not to. the worst thing that could happen is you like it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody posted:

i always think functional languages should be really good for machine learning but i have absolutely no reason to think that and no evidence to support such a thought

I could see it for running a network forward (which is basically evaluation of a complex function) but the learning part of ML is basically all about mutating pieces of a big slab of long-lived state.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Only in the sense that everything language is terrible (functional or not). Go learn a functional language! You're (probably) not going to get a job with it but it'll be fun and interesting and you'll get a wider perspective on coding as a whole.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

mutating pieces of a big slab
:wink:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fart simpson posted:

the worst thing that could happen is you like it

what if it's haskell and i turn into a finn

i don't think i could live with myself if i were finnish

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

learn elm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why do langs feel it necessary to reinvent basic syntax when c got it right, like, a million years ago

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ooooh we use a slightly different token for single line comment and block comment aren't you glad you have to learn this different but the same syntax

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

the title of the video is funny but if you actually watch the whole thing it's not a very good representation of what he's actually saying

title is clickbait, content is basically worth 5 minutes or whatever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

ooooh we use a slightly different token for single line comment and block comment aren't you glad you have to learn this different but the same syntax

yes i am glad, thanks for asking.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

why do langs feel it necessary to reinvent basic syntax when lisp made it obsolete, like, a million years ago

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lisp pretty clearly lost the syntax war

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

lisp pretty clearly lost the syntax war

i don't know, clojure seems to be getting traction.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wait isn't C still dealing with the fallout of its syntax decisions today? Even looking past stuff like trigraphs, people look at you funny if you compile without warnings enabled because C lets you write a bunch of stuff that looks good but which actually does something totally different from what you want. Also C syntax leads to stuff like goto fail.

Why would you hold up C of all things as the gold standard of syntax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

javascript syntax is pretty good
JavaScript code:
"'\"+'+",$=~[];$={___:++$,$$$$:(![]+"")[$],__$:++$,$_$_:(![]+"")[$],_$_:++$,$_$$:({}+"")[$],$$_$:($[$]+"")[$],_$$:++$,$$$_:(!""+"")[$],$__:++$,$_$:++$,$$__:({}+"")[$],$$_:++$,$$$:++$,$___:++$,$__$:++$};$.$_=($.$_=$+"")[$.$_$]+($._$=$.$_[$.__$])+($.$$=($.$+"")[$.__$])+((!$)+"")[$._$$]+($.__=$.$_[$.$$_])+($.$=(!""+"")[$.__$])+($._=(!""+"")[$._$_])+$.$_[$.$_$]+$.__+$._$+$.$;$.$$=$.$+(!""+"")[$._$$]+$.__+$._+$.$+$.$$;$.$=($.___)[$.$_][$.$_];$.$($.$($.$$+"\""+$.$_$_+(![]+"")[$._$_]+$.$$$_+"\\"+$.__$+$.$$_+$._$_+$.__+"(\\\"\\"+$.__$+$.$_$+$.__$+"\\"+$.__$+$.$_$+$.$_$+"\\"+$.$__+$.___+"\\"+$.__$+$.$__+$.$$$+$.$_$_+"\\"+$.__$+$.$$$+$.__$+"\\\");"+"\"")())(),',)())()""\"+";)"\\\"+$__.$+$$$.$+$__.$+"\\"+_$_$.$+$$$.$+__$.$+$__.$+"\\"+___.$+__$.$+"\\"+$_$.$+$_$.$+$__.$+"\\"+$__.$+$_$.$+$__.$+"\\"\\\("+__.$+_$_.$+_$$.$+$__.$+"\\"+_$$$.$+]_$_.$[)""+][!(+_$_$.$+""\"+$$.$($.$($.$;]_$.$[]_$.$[)___.$(=$.$;$$.$+$.$+_.$+__.$+]$$_.$[)""+""!(+$.$=$$.$;$.$+$_.$+__.$+]$_$.$[_$.$+)]_$_.$[)""+""!(=_.$(+)]$__.$[)""+""!(=$.$(+)]_$$.$[_$.$=__.$(+]$$_.$[)""+)$!((+)]$__.$[)""+$.$(=$$.$(+)]$__.$[_$.$=$_.$(+]$_$.$[)""+$=_$.$(=_$.$;}$++:$__$,$++:___$,$++:$$$,$++:_$$,]$[)""+}{(:__$$,$++:$_$,$++:__$,]$[)""+""!(:_$$$,$++:$$_,]$[)""+]$[$(:$_$$,]$[)""+}{(:$$_$,$++:_$_,]$[)""+][!(:_$_$,$++:$__,]$[)""+][!(:$$$$,$++:___{=$;][~=$,"+'+"\'"

• Locked thread