Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

:words:

thanks for that. I'll have to get to saving then, i've got a motherlode of like 60 plat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I've been on this server forever, and made the mistake of creating a warrior main as my first toon to 60. Now, I had a very decent raid tank, but no real way to farm outside of Seb/HS groups. If I were to start EC trading around the 2k range, what would you suggest are the popular items I could get a bankroll going with without spending 4 hours a day in EC?

It really depends; there isn't a list of items I could point you to. You just have to watch the prices and get a feel for items where the price fluctuates often, or where sellers are willing to part with their item for less than market value. Items like the FBSS have a relatively fixed value due to near-constant demand. Items like Dustscryer's Crystal Ball will fluctuate, because they are frequently farmed and have somewhat of a niche appeal.

A tactic I used to use was to get a feel for the "twink of the month" class. 6 months ago it was SK/Paladins. You could buy lowbie gear like Darkforge or Deepwater pieces off of people stripping their twinks, and then re-sell it to another guy gearing up his twink for 20% more.

One item I remember being rather volatile was Diamondine Earrings. They'd go for 1k one day and 600 the next. I haven't played in like 6 months though, and they've probably tanked in value due to Velious hitting soon.

borf
Apr 5, 2006

faulteroy posted:

Selling ports is tedious, but consistent income. Join Dial A Port (if that's still a thing) and hang out in places like EC and Overthere.

Dial A Port is still kickin, they helped my noob druid out this weekend. Fun and helpful idea for a guild!

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
I wouldn't worry about circlet of shadows too much, there are thousands+ on blue im sure, just like on red. Almost no one is going to be using nerfed CoS's on either server until probably a year has passed and people have quit and some have faded away like manastones and such did.

also, made a bard on red. I have access to various chars still there, but most of the tradeable gear isn't mine, so im broke as hell. Porting for donations does work but yeah sometimes doesn't ALWAYS work out for the best. ill probably be using this druid I have access to to port around for donations to fund my bard up. Once I get him lvl 5 and 6 for selos/hymn he should be ok and able to swarm kite be it solo or having people leech in group. I lost my previous bard from my last posts explaination, But I am still fairly confident even with a newer/better computer I can swarm myself to 50 and find people to leech exp just afk in group while i do it(no low hp stuff since that was nerfed, never did it that way to begin with in OT just started a kite and did it the old fashioned way, if i lagged/got too close i died. but one succesfull kite was GG exp)

Name is Zetsu currently parked near CB but along with having a cold, and spending 3-4 hours of questing/porting earlier this morning I need a nap to rest til I get my energy back., Got a gypsy lute from porting, using a hand drum for now but I realized a MM drum is only +1 modifier up so it isn't that huge of an upgrade so I figure if I can't get one cheap ie 100-150pp tops ill hang out til I get more plat and save pp for now. I am trying to make the most out of the gear I was loaned before I have to return it(which I don't know when that could be, I assume he returns when velious releases so its a race for me to level up my missing classes)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I have to ask, since I decided to go full-on sperg and calculate optimal spell rotations on my necromancer...

Are there any good mods for counting/monitoring ticks? Would be nice to know when dots, fears, etc. are about to fall off. Or is that just player skill that I need to work on according to THE VISION? :ohdear:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
if my memory is right, warriors pretty much always dual wielded for aggro post 37, right? I got a friend irl who is utterly convinced that 2h is the way to play a warrior as a raider and high end grouping, based on ~evidence~ he wont source.

I remember that it was viable leveling from 20 to 37 when yaks were available, but beyond that, i struggle to ever remember warriors tanking with a 2h until PoP with Blade of War.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dubious posted:

if my memory is right, warriors pretty much always dual wielded for aggro post 37, right? I got a friend irl who is utterly convinced that 2h is the way to play a warrior as a raider and high end grouping, based on ~evidence~ he wont source.

I remember that it was viable leveling from 20 to 37 when yaks were available, but beyond that, i struggle to ever remember warriors tanking with a 2h until PoP with Blade of War.

1H all the way. There's a negative aggro modifier for 2H.. I've read 30% but it could be different.

Siets posted:

So I have to ask, since I decided to go full-on sperg and calculate optimal spell rotations on my necromancer...

Are there any good mods for counting/monitoring ticks? Would be nice to know when dots, fears, etc. are about to fall off. Or is that just player skill that I need to work on according to THE VISION? :ohdear:

There's GamParse (http://gambosoft.eqresource.com/downloads.php) but its pretty unreliable as it relies off of log entries to time spells. Honestly nobody cares about DPS that much; just refresh your spells when they wear off. If you're actually using the right spells, you're ahead of most players anyway. I've grouped with Necros who did nothing but /pet attack and Lifetap every once in a while, and nobody said anything about it.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

borf posted:

After looking into that, they're dealing in 100k+. I'm looking to move 112pp. :(
Aren't you owner of Borf of Clan Borf, the TMO buffbot? Shouldn't you have access to farming blue plat quite easily?

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I don't know what any of that is, sorry! Coincidence I guess?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone up for some late night low level grouping on a semi regular basis? Currently a 10 warrior (Jhels) on blue!

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
Gamparse also has another program called GamTextTriggers which is very very useful for many things. As a rogue you can have almost a damage HUD like display, like WoW had. But for backstab damage only(nice when your 55+ for double backstab to see those high numbers land). There are tons of triggers, almost anything you can think of. I even used it to camp rare spawns with epic mage pet numerous times liked pained soul, rotting skeleton. I set my pet in a spot, set my GTT to make a noise when it reads a pained soul or rotting skeleton in logs(or to be more specific, has taken damage shield dmg from epic pet) and then you can gate back instantly to being bound on top or right near the spawn with little fear of pvp while waiting for it to spawn, and kill it loot up and move on. All while I would be tabbed out, watching tv/movies or be it still in game, just chattin up guildies or teamspeak.

You can have plenty of triggers, I have a full set of them basically for everything. When a nuke hits me, what it was, when a dot lands on me, what it was, When I got dispelled if it was a pumice or stronger. Some examples for gamtextriggers(note you can also make a timer appear for DA/DB/Harmshield/Xarn to know when to start nuking or backstab/bash perfectly timed. It basically allows you to focus less on reading chat overall, and more on other stuff. it makes alot of stuff super easy mode, for example if you get disarmed and you don't play with sound you won't hear the bag noise instantly and it may take you a few seconds to a minute before you equip your weapon again. This will trigger a disarm with text to voice saying "you were disarmed"

Trigger=^You feel dispelled;Comment=BLANK;Display=True;ShowText=True;DisplayText=Dispelled;ShowLine=False;TextColour=Yellow;Timer=False;TimerText=BLANK;Hours=0;Minutes=0;Seconds=0;Behaviour=Always start a new timer;CompletionDisplay=False;CompletionText=BLANK;EndEarly=False;EndEarlyText=BLANK;Sound=True;PlaySound=False;SoundLink=BLANK;PlayTTS=True;TTSText=Dispelled;

Trigger=^You succumb to the lure of ice.;Comment=BLANK;Display=False;ShowText=False;DisplayText=BLANK;ShowLine=False;TextColour=Yellow;Timer=False;TimerText=BLANK;Hours=0;Minutes=0;Seconds=0;Behaviour=Always start a new timer;CompletionDisplay=False;CompletionText=BLANK;EndEarly=False;EndEarlyText=BLANK;Sound=True;PlaySound=False;SoundLink=BLANK;PlayTTS=True;TTSText=Lure of Ice hit you;

Trigger=^You have been disarmed;Comment=BLANK;Display=True;ShowText=True;DisplayText=You were disarmed!;ShowLine=False;TextColour=Yellow;Timer=False;TimerText=BLANK;Hours=0;Minutes=0;Seconds=0;Behaviour=Always start a new timer;CompletionDisplay=False;CompletionText=BLANK;EndEarly=False;EndEarlyText=BLANK;Sound=True;PlaySound=False;SoundLink=BLANK;PlayTTS=True;TTSText=You were disarmed;

this below will show a countdown bar on your screen, with whoever popped these disciplines(ie Name used innerflame voice to text) in range of you to see their discipline message and when it ends just like DA/DB etc.

Trigger=^{s}'s muscles bulge with the force of will.;Comment=BLANK;Display=True;ShowText=True;DisplayText=^{s} used Innerflame discipline;ShowLine=False;TextColour=Yellow;Timer=False;TimerText=BLANK;Hours=0;Minutes=0;Seconds=0;Behaviour=Always start a new timer;CompletionDisplay=False;CompletionText=BLANK;EndEarly=False;EndEarlyText=BLANK;Sound=True;PlaySound=False;SoundLink=BLANK;PlayTTS=True;TTSText={s} used Innerflame discipline;

Just download GamTextTriggers from the same gambosoft source and add the triggers into your .ini file, or make your own. A lot of people think this is 'not classic' and obviously it isn't classic. but neither is p99 honestly, yeah you can play perfectly fine without a program like this, its not required but it can be nice to use at certain times, mainly group or raid pvp to know whats going on with other people. Since this server doesn't show what people are casting you obviously can't make a trigger of what spell they are casting, just when it hits you based on its message. The full list of triggers would be a wall of spam post, but if anyone cares for it let me know I can put it up on paste.bin and link it. Also yes it is a legit program to be used, been around for 2+ years on p99 very few people ever just had the time to put work into making a solid .ini list for all of the high end pvp spells etc and focus on backstab damage or being hit with one will alert you that you got backstabbed.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Just posting support for this program. I've used it before on blue for when I'm semi-AFK camping stuff while getting work done (enduring breath fading alarm from all my kedge camping, getting hit alarm, etc.), or on raids so I don't have to peer through all the spam so hard to see what I want to see (Isle 2 on Sky comes to mind - the boss spawns from an azerack that hits for 220 instead of 190 or whatever it is).

I haven't had it set up in awhile but it can be very handy once you get the hang of it. Also, poo poo like this did exist in classic. Anyone who had a ShowEQ box usually had an active log parser running as well. The alerts were just beeps for the most part but I knew several people who had them set up.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Grouping as a Necro is tricky to get the best use of your mana.

In order for your DoTs to be effective it takes time. Any ticks which are wasted due to the mob being dead before they can get applied is wasted mana while if a mob is living long enough for your dots to complete their cycle you are in a lovely group to begin with (unless duo-ing I guess, maybe).

My Necro is still a baby and usually solos. It is a refreshing change from playing a Rogue, which is great, but cannot tie his own shoes without teammates.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For the most part in groups, I have just been sending in my pet, occasionally nuking once or twice when things get hairy, and then twitching our other healers and casters as needed. People seem ok with that I guess. :shobon:

Mostly I was just trying to figure out what my most optimal spell rotation would be for soloing. While it's easy enough to calculate damage per mana on a spell, you also have to account for the fact that fearing costs extra mana. On something like Scourge, it looks great on the surface at 3.2 damage per mana. However, it is a 21 tick DoT, so you need to account for the extra mana you spend fearing to achieve that full duration, which actually brings it to 1.7 damage per mana against undead targets and worse against all other targets (Panic the Dead is cheaper than Invoke Fear.) I ended up finding that Venom of the Snake and Expel Undead were my best bang for the buck spells when accounted for this way. In tight spaces where aggro is an issue, you still want to use Dooming Darkness for the slow to keep the situation more manageable (even though DD is only a 1.36 DpM efficiency against undead targets.) I am essentially relying on those and my pet to get the job done and it seems to be helping me to spend less time medding and increasing the number of pulls that I can handle.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Is game text triggers still available? I tried to download it from gamsoft a month ago or so and couldn't find a download link. I've been using GINA as a replacement.

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011

Dubious posted:

Anyone up for some late night low level grouping on a semi regular basis? Currently a 10 warrior (Jhels) on blue!

Hey man, we were grouped last night. I'm usually playing as Lucifarian (Enchanter). Just hit 12 last night with that group, bought my spells (almost broke again!), and camped out. Feel free to hit me up whenever.

I'm digging the enchanter so far, and pretty pumped to hit 12 and unlock Charm, Memory Blur, Languid Pace, Bind, etc.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Someone might be in Empire now. Uh oh :ohdear:

borf
Apr 5, 2006

krylon666 posted:

Hey man, we were grouped last night. I'm usually playing as Lucifarian (Enchanter). Just hit 12 last night with that group, bought my spells (almost broke again!), and camped out. Feel free to hit me up whenever.

I'm digging the enchanter so far, and pretty pumped to hit 12 and unlock Charm, Memory Blur, Languid Pace, Bind, etc.

I'm in for whatever too, once I get a few levels to catch you guys. I'm in Unknown Guild but at most I've seen 3 people on at once. :(
My name in game is Hotvomit, still only 5 but I've just started.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
FYI for those who want the old-school itch and no drama like p1999, the Imperium Server is fantastic. It's labeled solo/duo for all raid content, and is basically that. Good economy, new custom expansion, and it just got added to the 'Preferred' servers list. It's worth a look if only for the cool community.

Here's some info for those who may be interested: http://imperiumserver.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

borf posted:

I'm in for whatever too, once I get a few levels to catch you guys. I'm in Unknown Guild but at most I've seen 3 people on at once. :(

I've got a 14 cleric I could join you guys on in Unrest. Check in with what times you were thinking and I'll hop on.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Got my enchanter to 12. Went to Mino caves to try charming. The enemy killed my pet with 50% hp left. The Mino Lord aggro'd from somewhere and killed me. I dinged 11. I dont think Charming is for me lol.

Would love to go to Unrest or Befallen or Kurns to level.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Dubious posted:

I have my 15 Paladin in Kurns right now. If ya'll keep up with my poopsocking I wouldn't mind some goon groups. Also good lord this hybrid penalty on experience is no joke. In the time it's taken me to get my 2nd set of spells I could have been 50 on red by now!

edit: character name is Steeks

FayGate fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 28, 2015

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011

borf posted:

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I've got a 14 cleric I could join you guys on in Unrest. Check in with what times you were thinking and I'll hop on.

Awesome. I've been trying to play most week nights starting around 8-10pm EST (whenever the lady goes to bed) till about 2am-ish, or on the weekends whenever I can.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I started a Halfling Rogue on red just to see how fast I could level... 22min /played and almost lvl 4.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
I'm usually on 7-10pm PST. Name is Lolpedia.

Or I am on a lowbie Monk, Punchies.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

FranktheBank posted:

Got my enchanter to 12. Went to Mino caves to try charming. The enemy killed my pet with 50% hp left. The Mino Lord aggro'd from somewhere and killed me. I dinged 11. I dont think Charming is for me lol.

Would love to go to Unrest or Befallen or Kurns to level.

Charming isn't very good for soloing due to the risk involved. Pick up a duo partner (Druid, Shaman are both great) and let your pet DPS while your partner tanks. At 12, you can probably get 1-2 quick levels in Crushbone before you go to Unrest and do the yard trash. Kurns is also really good, but there aren't any easily-accessible vendors if you aren't Iksar.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Hey fellow nerds! I just reinstalled only to see that my 52 chanter on red is naked! I think his corpse may have rotted when I last stopped playing so I'm hoping I can petition to get it back... Anyone on red with a lvl 30 something want to duo? Ive got a 32 monk with some decent gear that I don't know what to do with. Pillo is my monk let me know!

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

faulteroy posted:

Charming isn't very good for soloing due to the risk involved. Pick up a duo partner (Druid, Shaman are both great) and let your pet DPS while your partner tanks. At 12, you can probably get 1-2 quick levels in Crushbone before you go to Unrest and do the yard trash. Kurns is also really good, but there aren't any easily-accessible vendors if you aren't Iksar.

Crushbone was really dragging. I got no xp from Cents and Legos were really difficult. I am usually unable to find enough lvl 12-16 people to take the Throne room camp, so I solo from Wall or Taskmaster.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soooo...

Anybody ever farmed in...

Kedge Keep? :getin:

(Looking for tips for a 39 necro that is tired of waiting around for spectres all day.)

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Siets posted:

Soooo...

Anybody ever farmed in...

Kedge Keep? :getin:

(Looking for tips for a 39 necro that is tired of waiting around for spectres all day.)

Kedge is a massive pain in the rear end, but you could probably solo near the entrance. Only way to know is to try - some people have lots of trouble with Kedge, others find it easy.

If you like grouping or are willing to group, go hit up City of Mist. You can charm stuff there, and your undead nukes are crazy efficient.

Also check out Sesserrix's necro guide: http://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix%27s_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Guide

I knew it was comprehensive but never really read it; holy poo poo is there a lot of info in there.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

faulteroy posted:

Kedge is a massive pain in the rear end, but you could probably solo near the entrance. Only way to know is to try - some people have lots of trouble with Kedge, others find it easy.

If you like grouping or are willing to group, go hit up City of Mist. You can charm stuff there, and your undead nukes are crazy efficient.

Also check out Sesserrix's necro guide: http://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix%27s_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Guide

I knew it was comprehensive but never really read it; holy poo poo is there a lot of info in there.

Careful if you're red in com it's a pvp nightmare

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

Careful if you're red in com it's a pvp nightmare

Nope, playing Blue again these days. Red died for me when SLAMDUNKATRON died. :(

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I feel like Kedge would be better at 44 for DMF. Lev helps a ton in there and it lasts a long time.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I was just planning on going to either Nektulos or Kithicor to farm piranhas for a small batch of fish scales. I do have Breath of the Dead which is 27 minutes of water breathing, but it requires those as reagents and I can't find a vendor that sells them who will talk to iksar.

I dunno, I read from a couple mage soloing guides that the entry area of Kedge is a good place to farm due to the ridiculously high ZEM. Not much in plat to be had, but I have most of the pre-planar gear that I want anyways.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Kedge entrance is great xp at that level but you will struggle getting it spilt. Once that's done the only snag is when the fierce impaler spawns - it can be a bit rough for high 30s dudes.

I soloed both my mage and my sham there from mid/high 30s to 44 and it was really quick both times.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, tried for an hour to break the fish in the first room but could not do it. I think you probably need a druid or somebody who can pacify/lull to really start that room off. A high level druid who was PL'ing there told me to try pulling with my dot+snare and then zoning to isolate the dotted fish from the pack, but this did not seem to work either.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Not snare just root. Pull, root one outside the room, zone out, then come back and solo the rooted one.

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005
For enchanters, solo charming doesn't really get good until 34-39+ imo, in the early 30s its best to duo++ so you don't have to break pet for full exp with hide or if your rich enough a gazughi ring for IVA. Enchanters are the strongest after 51 or 52 when they get theft of thought, that spell is crucial to keeping your mana flowing and once you obtain C2 + ToT you can literally spam mezzes, and regain your mana lost on a couple 24sec mezzes/roots in one tick or 1-2 high level dazzles of sort. One of the best examples for soloing on red despite pet exp penalty was going to seafuries. and theres a level 15 something shaman ogre NPC you can theft, as well as aqua goblins on the other side of the island that take 1 mez to memblur aggro off you. Before exp on red was changed to power groups over solo, you wouldn't even need to break pet charm with invis you could kill nonstop taking the penalty each time and get a few % a kill still, up to 58 where it crawled to 1-2% a kill. The same can still be done, but seafuries on red is full of people with druid/wizards bound there, ready to gank people farming plat/exp. Works good if you go with a bunch of friends and plenty of open bag space for droppables.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Equality posted:

. Pillo is my monk let me know!

Hey i hit you with Haste with my enc in HHK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Hahahahaha, Velious release got pushed to August 1st/2nd? Is this for real?

• Locked thread