Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

FlyinPingu posted:

What about the reentry isn't working? I've landed plenty of craft with no issue, just slap a heat shield to the front. I don't think I've ever opened a parachute above 1500m

Parachutes are more or less indestructible atm. You can deploy the non-radial ones at ~30km (0.1 atmo I guess?) and it'll slow you down to nothing faster than aerobraking. Hell, they radiate heat so much in atmo that you can use them to prevent heat ups on returns - to a degree though. The radiation, or I guess heat capacitance of chutes kinda cheapen any kind of butt-clenchy re-entry if you abuse it.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Or am I just missing an obvious solution?

Have you tried switching over with [ or ] keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Musluk posted:

Parachutes are more or less indestructible atm. You can deploy the non-radial ones at ~30km (0.1 atmo I guess?) and it'll slow you down to nothing faster than aerobraking. Hell, they radiate heat so much in atmo that you can use them to prevent heat ups on returns - to a degree though. The radiation, or I guess heat capacitance of chutes kinda cheapen any kind of butt-clenchy re-entry if you abuse it.

oh okay, that's like, the opposite of how i thought people were saying it was broke

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Yeah, with how much Squad talked about parachutes in particular being fragile during reentry, they sure don't seem to be. I wonder if someone misplaced a decimal point somewhere.

One thing that might be neat once chutes in general are fixed is a micro drogue chute with a highish (but still not super-high) temperature rating but a very small actual chute with very low drag, just enough to keep you pointed rear end-first but not enough to meaningfully slow you down.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 29, 2015

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Musluk posted:

Have you tried switching over with [ or ] keys?

Would that work? It wouldn't let me take direct control from the tracking station.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Would that work? It wouldn't let me take direct control from the tracking station.

Yup, that's how you're supposed to do those, but I guess being able to jump ships when you're literally right next to them via map view should be an option or something.

Man, they Squad should call this game Minmus Science Program.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did the prerequisites for getting satellite missions change? I unlocked some probe cores, batteries and solar panels, and I don't get any missions offered.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I had one ship do a complete 180 during re-entry and promptly explode even though I was doing my damnedest to keep it pointed in the correct direction. It was a heat shield under a Science Jr. under the basic capsule, so it wasn't some monster of a ship or anything.

Later I added an extra chute that I deployed during re-entry when it looked like the vessel was about to lose control and 180 again. The chute worked and slowed me down really, really quickly without bursting into flames or just ripping off.

Val survived 26gs during that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Musluk posted:

Yup, that's how you're supposed to do those, but I guess being able to jump ships when you're literally right next to them via map view should be an option or something.

Yeah that worked, but it would be nice if it had told me to do it that way anywhere. I just assumed that it wouldn't work when I couldn't take control from mission control. Which should definitely also be a thing that works, Squad.

Eshomlod
Oct 10, 2012
For anyone who wants vacuum Isp to remain as it was in 0.90

I'm a bit mystified as to why they had to nerf the vacuum Isp- the reduction in atmospheric Isp along with the reduced thrust seems to work well enough.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

According to the bugfixes mod :siren: service bays block heat transfer :siren: for some reason. Guess that's why my probe core was exploding. Fixes that (though that might make stuff inside the service bay explode), plus few other things like heat shields physics, etc.

ed: also, docking mode seems to be broken. As in, completely not working.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 29, 2015

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I can't seem to get my planes to stop tumbling in the air. What should I know in terms of basic aircraft construction? What about center of mass versus center of lift?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sanzuo posted:

I can't seem to get my planes to stop tumbling in the air. What should I know in terms of basic aircraft construction? What about center of mass versus center of lift?

I have essentially the same problem: it's like flying a kite with a jet engine attached to the rear. I think it might have been because I built the entire midsection out of trusses because I had nothing else to "fill" the space out with and to attach lift surfaces properly to. Whenever I tried to make a shorter narrower craft it just toppled over on the runway before getting enough lift.

Notably the system is forgiving enough that I managed to flap my way back down to earth, make a virtually vertical landing and only lose a tailfin in the process. :jeb:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I do wish there was an option to pick a current "mission", like "sub-orbital" and Kerbin" from a drop down list, which would then filter and populate contracts based on that mission selection. Dunno, maybe have a science and funds penalty, but have a reputation and cost-cutting bonus.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Sanzuo posted:

"Center of Lift slightly behind Center of Mass, both in line~ish with Center of Thrust. If your plane can fly okay but has trouble lifting off, gently caress around with wheels" works for me. But then again I'm not much of a plane guy.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah that worked, but it would be nice if it had told me to do it that way anywhere. I just assumed that it wouldn't work when I couldn't take control from mission control. Which should definitely also be a thing that works, Squad.

Hrm, rescue craft should be marked as "owned" the moment you get within visual range. I'll take a look at this for the hotfix.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Basic question here, how do you set your navball target to the KSC?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Is there even a way to see KSC in the map view or do I need to memorize the contours of the continents?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Well, that was an interesting bug. One of my radial parachutes wasn't deploying. Apparently, the game decided that it was "inside" the storage bay right under my cockpit, if I opened the storage bay, it deployed just fine. There couldn't have been more than one vertex inside the bounding volume, if that. Its symmetric twin on the other side worked just fine. I guess this is probably related to the weird bug Scott Manley encountered with the sufboard and closing the storage doors on his plane. Seems like storage stuff is pretty borked in-atmosphere at the moment.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Antti posted:

Is there even a way to see KSC in the map view or do I need to memorize the contours of the continents?

As far as I know, the best solution is to park a rover or small craft close by KSC as a marker.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Sokani posted:

As far as I know, the best solution is to park a rover or small craft close by KSC as a marker.

Yeah, just place it outside the building biome boundaries so the game won't ask for you to recover your vehicle when upgrading buildings in career.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fina posted:

I had one ship do a complete 180 during re-entry and promptly explode even though I was doing my damnedest to keep it pointed in the correct direction. It was a heat shield under a Science Jr. under the basic capsule, so it wasn't some monster of a ship or anything.
The capsule is heavier than the Science Jr so your center of mass is behind the craft's aerodynamic center, and just like a dart it wants to fly with the heavy end forward.

It's the same mechanic that makes your planes flip over if you put the center of lift ahead of the center of mass.

Antti posted:

The first thing I did when I could plant flags was to put a flag at each end of the runway for landing guidance. It also makes KSC easy to see from orbit.

Re: Going to the mun. The best way to make a bunch of science early on is to make a beeline for the LV-909 and upgrade your kerbonaut center for EVAs. I found the LV-30/45 are too heavy for upper stages, but with the LV-909 you can easily do a mun flyby and get hundreds of science from goo cans, EVA reports and crew reports along the way.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Fina posted:

I had that issue too, but found a different solution: put the heatshield on top of the capsule (where you usually put the chute) and attach two radial chutes to the Science Jr. at the bottom. It's going to land head down, but works just fine.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Kurvi Tasch posted:

I had that issue too, but found a different solution: put the heatshield on top of the capsule (where you usually put the chute) and attach two radial chutes to the Science Jr. at the bottom. It's going to land head down, but works just fine.

Is this something that's potentially a bug? Because when playing with FAR in previous versions this was never an issue with most setups.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Vetitum posted:

Is this something that's potentially a bug? Because when playing with FAR in previous versions this was never an issue with most setups.

It's a bug related to how the heat shields are set up in stock 1.0.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Not to have a go at Squad but how did all this stuff not get picked up in testing for what they called the 1.0 release.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I've not had a single problem keeping heat shields down, even without the cfg change some people have done. Just make sure you enter the atmosphere pointing retrograde at a shallow angle and it'll stay that way as long as you're not reckless with time warp.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

Not to have a go at Squad but how did all this stuff not get picked up in testing for what they called the 1.0 release.

I and I think a few other people had suggested they go to 0.95 first for exactly this reason. It was unreasonable to think they could release an update this big without a bunch of bugs. Having a great time with it anyway, but I really think it would have been better PR to let 1.0 be a thoroughly community tested release.

Turks fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 29, 2015

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah I am kind of annoyed, I bought a few copies for friends and am just hoping the sillier bugs get fixed before they try playing because right now it's a bit embarrassing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

damnfan posted:

KER and MJ have already been updated for 1.0!

I can't get either of these to work. :(

I see the parts in the shop, but I get no menus when I add the parts to my craft.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

I'm impressed KSP didn't crash.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
All aboard the Space Bus!

Each pod contains seating for three, plus a real life astronaut! (not pictured)

Our VIP module contains many extremely fake buttons that do absolutely nothing please don't press anything.

We have lift off!

Bill, Bob, please stop screaming. It upsets the passengers.

Welcome to Space!

VIP module is OP.

OK enough Space, time to go home.

We have a bit of a treat for you here... some genuine SPACE SCIENCE! (not technically performed in Space)

Careful... Careful....

What's her problem?

Oh.

I feel like I've forgotten something.

Not pictured: Lack of landing gear causing Space Bus to tip over, only to be miraculously saved by the slowing effect of the mysteriously un-cut top parachute. I'm assuming Val did it.

I bet you thought the fun was over! Nope, time for more SPACE GROUND SCIENCE!

I hope you all enjoyed Space! Kerbal Space Tourism takes no responsibility for any quantum clones that may have died during sea landing or improperly timed atmospheric re-entry.

Are you still here? Why are you still here?

I blame Gene for this.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 29, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulhuite posted:

I've not had a single problem keeping heat shields down, even without the cfg change some people have done. Just make sure you enter the atmosphere pointing retrograde at a shallow angle and it'll stay that way as long as you're not reckless with time warp.

It'd be nice if that were true. No matter how I distribute the weight, the heat shield isn't massive enough to keep the flipping forces from overpowering SAS. It's getting to the point where I just say gently caress it and parachute down.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

No patched conics is just a total pain in the rear end, in a not-fun way not a heh-heh-career-progression way

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
So not only can you not EVA with tourists, it appears you can't transfer them between modules.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

stuart scott posted:

No patched conics is just a total pain in the rear end, in a not-fun way not a heh-heh-career-progression way

It costs practically nothing to unlock it (75K at 100%, I think?) and seeing as you earn 200K+ just from doing the first few records and getting into a suborbital flight which you really don't need patched conics for, it should be a non-issue.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

That's how these contracts always work. How were you solving them in 0.90?

Platonicsolid posted:

I've heard great stuff about Kerbal Construction Time, so I can see that mechanic having an audience. Still silly to be so dug in. The resource chain is also weirdly complex - the metal stage seems entirely superfluous.

See, I like KCT, but the answer here is for EPL to have KCT integration, same way the USI mods have integration with everything under the sun.

So, out of the box, it lets you build things in orbit and on other planets instantly and for free. If KCT is installed, it uses libkct to handle construction times (added bonus: KCT properly handles unfocused building, familiarity-based building speed, and whatnot). If UKS is installed, it overrides the EPL parts and now you need to use the UKS resources to build rockets. That would be perfect and let people pick and choose what features they want.

Instead EPL is this lurching abomination that interoperates with nothing. Hope you really wanted multiple conflicting mechanics for mining and rocket assembly!

sckye posted:

I found another bug - if you log data through a science instrument, whether by action group or manually, and then try to transmit from the "Transmit Data" button on the UI, it will look like it's transmitting and act like it's transmitting, but it actually isn't.
The solution is to click on the antenna and manually click "Transmit Data" there.

Seriously? gently caress. That explains my thermometer issues last night.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

:stonk: Holy Kessler bomb.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cthulhuite posted:

It costs practically nothing to unlock it (75K at 100%, I think?) and seeing as you earn 200K+ just from doing the first few records and getting into a suborbital flight which you really don't need patched conics for, it should be a non-issue.

It's a bit more than that to get fully functional. Patched conics is a tracking station upgrade but it just displays SOI changes. Maneuver planning, which is the real essential feature, is a mission control upgrade.

I still think the phrase "patched conics" has no business in the UI and should be changed to something like "better orbit predictions".

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 29, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is CKAN still broken? I booted it up on Monday to try and uninstall my .90 era mods, and got some HTTP errors, I think in the 4xx range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

haveblue posted:

It's a bit more than that to get fully functional. Patched conics is a tracking station upgrade but it just displays SOI changes. Maneuver planning, which is the real essential feature, is a mission control upgrade.

To clarify, you have to upgrade both the tracking station and mission control in order to get flight planning.