Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The first two were fine. The third was okay.

It went downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SSNeoman posted:

The first two were fine. The third was okay.

It went downhill from there.

I honestly prefer a few of those over the actual chapter. As for the third one, it would have been more appropriate for the hat to scream, run, and explode somewhere towards the middle of the chapter because it would have better represented the reader's reaction to the interminable arguing.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 12: Impulse Control
Part 1

quote:

ph'nglui mglw'nafh J. K. Rowling wgah'nagl fhtagn

"Wonder what's wrong with him."

"Turpin, Lisa!"

Whisper whisper whisper harry potter whisper whisper slytherin whisper whisper no seriously what the hell whisper whisper

"RAVENCLAW!"

Harry joined in the applause greeting the young girl walking shyly towards the Ravenclaw table, her robes' trim now changed to dark blue. Lisa Turpin appeared torn between her impulse to sit down as far away from Harry Potter as possible, and her impulse to run over, forcibly insert herself at his side and start tearing answers out of him.

I Googled to check whether Lisa Turpin actually appeared in the original series or is an original character made up by Eliezer. Turns out she was indeed Sorted into Ravenclaw in Book 1, and then never mentioned again, which explains why I have no recollection of her appearance in the books.

quote:

Being at the center of an extraordinary and curious event, and then being Sorted into House Ravenclaw, was closely akin to being dipped in barbecue sauce and flung into a pit of starving kittens.

"I promised the Sorting Hat not to talk about it," whispered Harry for the umpteenth time.

"Yes, really."

"No, I really did promise the Sorting Hat not to talk about it."

"Fine, I promised the Sorting Hat not to talk about most of it and the rest is private just like yours was so stop asking."

"You want to know what happened? Fine! Here's part of what happened! I told the Hat that Professor McGonagall threatened to set it on fire and it told me to tell Professor McGonagall that she was an impudent youngster and she should get off its lawn!"

"If you're not going to believe what I say then why are you even asking? "

"No, I don't know how I defeated the Dark Lord either! You tell me if you figure it out!"

"Silence! " shouted Professor McGonagall at the podium of the Head Table. "No talking until the Sorting Ceremony finishes! "

Yes, you go McGonagall!

quote:

There was a brief dip in the volume, as everyone waited to see if she was going to make any specific and credible threats, and then the whispers started up again.

Then the silver-bearded ancient stood up from his great golden chair, smiling cheerfully.

Instant silence. Someone frantically elbowed Harry as he tried to continue a whisper, and Harry cut himself off in mid-sentence.

The cheerful-looking old man sat down again.

Note to self: Do not mess with Dumbledore.

That was pretty funny.

Decent start to the chapter so far.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

These next bits, while Yud's mostly content to poke good-natured fun at how Hogwarts works, and mostly keeps MY EPIC FANFIC PLOT and MY GLORIOUS BAYESIAN THEOREMS on the back burner, are probably the high point.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part 2

quote:

Harry was still trying to process everything that had happened during the Incident with the Sorting Hat. Not the least of which was what had happened the instant Harry had lifted the Hat off his head; in that moment, he'd heard a tiny whisper as though from nowhere, something that sounded oddly like English and a hiss at the same time, something that had said, "Ssalutations from Sslytherin to Sslytherin: if you would sseek my ssecretss, sspeak to my ssnake."

Harry was sorta guessing that wasn't supposed to be part of the official Sorting process. And that it was a bit of extra magic set down by Salazar Slytherin during the making of the Hat. And that the Hat itself didn't know about it. And that it was triggered when the Hat said "SLYTHERIN", plus or minus some other conditions. And that a Ravenclaw like himself really, really wasn't supposed to have heard it. And that if he could find some reliable way of swearing Draco to secrecy so he could ask him about it, that would be an excellent time to have some Comed-Tea handy.

Boy, you resolve not to go down the path of a Dark Lord and the universe starts messing with you the instant the Hat comes off your head. Some days it just doesn't pay to fight destiny. Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow to start on my resolution to not be a Dark Lord.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Ron Weasley got a lot of applause, and not just from the Gryffindors. Apparently the Weasley family was widely liked around here. Harry, after a moment, smiled and started applauding along with the others.
Then again, there was no time like today to turn back from the Dark Side.

Stuff destiny and stuff the universe. He'd show that Hat.

"Zabini, Blaise!"

Pause.

"SLYTHERIN!" shouted the hat.

Harry applauded Zabini too, ignoring the odd looks he was getting from everyone including Zabini.

No other name was called out after that, and Harry realised that "Zabini, Blaise" did sound close to the end of the alphabet. Great, so now he'd only applauded Zabini... Oh well.

Dumbledore got up again and began heading towards the podium. Apparently they were about to be treated to a speech –

And Harry was struck by the inspiration for a brilliant experimental test.

Finally, an actual experiment! I don’t think Eliezarry has actually done any further inquiries into the rules of magic since his language / phrasing tests with the purse of holding. I don’t fault him for it, though – he hadn’t yet learned any spells or was otherwise in a position to conduct any experiments before he came to Hogwarts.

quote:

Hermione had said that Dumbledore was the most powerful wizard alive, right?

Harry reached into his pouch and whispered, "Comed-Tea".

For the Comed-Tea to work, it would have to make Dumbledore say something so ridiculous during his speech that even in Harry's state of mental preparedness, he would still choke. Like, all the Hogwarts students had to not wear any clothes for the whole school year, or everyone was going to be transformed into cats.

But then if anyone in the world could resist the power of the Comed-Tea, it would be Dumbledore. So if this worked, the Comed-Tea was literally invincible.

I’m not completely up to date on all the principles and methodologies of scientific experimentation, but I’m pretty sure that just one experiment / trial isn’t sufficient to prove any hypothesis. In this case, for instance, what if Dumbledore isn’t actually trying to resist the Comed-Tea at this time? You’d need at least one trial where he’s resisting the Comed-Tea and one more where he isn’t.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Albus would be so on-board with this though. "Do it man, do it! Do it! Do it!"
Hell he'd probably say something silly anyway.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

How long does this sorting ceremony go on for in MoR anyways?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I have to admit, Comed-tea is actually a pretty good idea and fits right in with what this story could / should be.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have to admit, Comed-tea is actually a pretty good idea and fits right in with what this story could / should be.

The idea is fine to me, it's the name I have a problem with. It doesn't roll off the tongue at all and has nothing to do with what it actually does.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Murphy Brownback posted:

The idea is fine to me, it's the name I have a problem with. It doesn't roll off the tongue at all and has nothing to do with what it actually does.

I think it's supposed to be pronounced a little like 'comedy', which is an ok pun, but honestly it took me a while to figure that out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't it be better as Come-tea, then?

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
I feel like coming up with consistent comed-tea rules (which is probably what Yud will do) won't be very funny but I think it's cute that Harry's testing this hard-to-explain reality-bending toy on practically everything to see if he can figure out what happens.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

anilEhilated posted:

Wouldn't it be better as Come-tea, then?

Then people would probably pronounce the first bit like the word 'come', and nobody would have gotten it at all.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bad news then- instead of Harry figuring out how it works by trial and error/science, he'll think real hard, assume the conclusion he came to is correct, and then the story will literally never mention it again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hilari-tea. Where's my scam sauce fanfic money, internet?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nessus posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

su3su2u1 posted:

Bad news then- instead of Harry figuring out how it works by trial and error/science, he'll think real hard, assume the conclusion he came to is correct, and then the story will literally never mention it again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the extent to which Less Wrongers badmouth Aristotle gets stranger and stranger the more you learn about them.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

Right here on amazon! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E640ZAG

Since March 19th, 4 copies have been sold. After amazon fees it is $8/book in gross sales. Estimating actual shipping fees and vanity press printing, net profit of $2/book.

Extrapolating out, estimate 30-40 sales/year.

This fanfiction thing is highly profitable if you write 50 Shades. Otherwise, not so much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

su3su2u1 posted:

Yeah, I know. Introducing it is one of the early things that makes you think he's going to do the "Harry Potter meets science" thing that people describe it as, but nooooope.

Also I liked the reviews you did.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part 3

quote:

Harry pulled the ring on the Comed-Tea under the table, wanting to do this a bit unobtrusively. The can made a quiet hissing noise. A few heads turned to look at him, but soon turned back as -

"Welcome! Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts!" said Dumbledore, beaming at the students with his arms opened wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see them all there.

Harry took a first mouthful of Comed-Tea and lowered the can again. He would swallow the pop a little at a time and try not to choke no matter what Dumbledore said -

"Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Happy happy boom boom swamp swamp swamp! Thank you!"

Everyone clapped and cheered, and Dumbledore sat down again.

Harry sat frozen as pop trickled out of the corners of his mouth. He had, at least, managed to choke quietly.

He really really really shouldn't have done that. Amazing how much more obvious that became one second after it was too late.

In retrospect he probably should have noticed something wrong when he was thinking about everyone being turned into cats... or even before then, remembered his mental note not to mess with Dumbledore... or his newfound resolution to be more considerate of others... or maybe if he'd had one single scrap of common sense...

It was hopeless. He was corrupt to the core. Hail the Dark Lord Harry. You couldn't fight fate.

Someone was asking Harry if he was all right. (Others were starting to serve themselves food, which had magically appeared on the table, whatever.)

"I'm all right," Harry said. "Excuse me. Um. Was that a... normal speech for the Headmaster? You all... didn't seem... very surprised..."

How is it that Eliezarry could so quickly pick up so much knowledge and understanding about the politics of the wizarding world that he could debate on equal grounds with Draco, yet remain so ignorant about Dumbledore’s (only the headmaster of the school that Eliezarry was going to attend, and the most notable and famous wizard of the day) reputation for eccentricity?

quote:

"Oh, Dumbledore's insane, of course," said an older-looking Ravenclaw sitting next to him who had introduced himself with some name Harry didn't even begin to remember. "Lots of fun, incredibly powerful wizard, but completely bonkers." He paused. "At some later point I'd also like to ask why green fluid came out of your lips and then disappeared, though I expect you promised the Sorting Hat not to talk about that either."

With a great effort, Harry stopped himself from glancing down at the incriminating can of Comed-Tea in his hand.

After all, the Comed-Tea hadn't just arbitrarily materialized a Quibbler headline about him and Draco. Draco had explained it in a way that made it seem like it had all happened... naturally? As if it had altered history to fit?

Harry was mentally imagining himself banging his forehead against the table. Wham, wham, wham went his head within his mind.

Another student lowered her voice to a whisper. "I hear that Dumbledore is secretly a genius mastermind controlling lots of stuff and he uses the insanity as a cover so that no one will suspect him."

"I've heard that too," whispered a third student, and there were furtive nods from around the table.

This couldn't help but catch Harry's attention.

"I see," whispered Harry, lowering his own voice. "So everyone knows that Dumbledore is secretly a mastermind."

Most of the students nodded. One or two looked suddenly thoughtful, including the older student sitting next to Harry.

Are you sure this is the Ravenclaw table? Harry managed not to ask out loud.

"Brilliant!" Harry whispered. "If everyone knows, no one will suspect it's a secret!"

"Exactly," whispered a student, and then he frowned. "Wait, that doesn't sound quite right -"

Note to self: The 75th percentile of Hogwarts students a.k.a. Ravenclaw House is not the world's most exclusive program for gifted children.

And that’s why Eliezarry fits in perfectly there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If this was a competent author I'd be having bets on how long till his fellow nerds kick the poo poo out of him.
And Elizier, gifted kid programs worked out so well for you in the past, huh?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I went to a gifted high school. It's not nearly as impressive as Yud imagines it is.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Night10194 posted:

I went to a gifted high school. It's not nearly as impressive as Yud imagines it is.

I always figured it was like regular school just with more complicated homework.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HIJK posted:

I always figured it was like regular school just with more complicated homework.

It's basically a regular private school where you can talk your way out of your homework more easily, and where you have access to some more esoteric classes. It's seriously nothing particularly special, though I did have some teachers I'm still in touch with and who were really, really good.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Clearly to be a good manipulative mastermind, Dumbledore should have announced "I am a clever manipulator, manipulating you all by causing you to believe that I am dumb. I am actually smart."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It's basically a regular private school where you can talk your way out of your homework more easily, and where you have access to some more esoteric classes. It's seriously nothing particularly special, though I did have some teachers I'm still in touch with and who were really, really good.

The kind of teachers they attract can really be worth it though. I had an environmental science teacher who ran a maple syrup operation, a brook trout hatchery, and hand crafted birch bark canoes using original native american methods. Coolest guy I ever met.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pavlov posted:

The kind of teachers they attract can really be worth it though. I had an environmental science teacher who ran a maple syrup operation, a brook trout hatchery, and hand crafted birch bark canoes using original native american methods. Coolest guy I ever met.

The things my debate/english teacher taught me formed the foundation of all of my academic writing and the class did a huge amount to show me how to form an argument and how to try to see two sides of things. My history teachers got me into history, which led me to religion, which led to my current studies. It was really valuable and I'm really glad I went there overall, it's just that it's not some incredible mecca of super-brilliant people who all sit around talking up how manipulative and dangerous we all are like Yud would imagine.

Mostly, it also meant I didn't get teased for running a D&D group for four years in high school, too, which was a plus.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part 4

quote:

But at least he'd learned an important fact today. The Comed-Tea was omnipotent. And that meant...

Harry blinked in surprise as his mind finally made the obvious connection.

... that meant that as soon as he learned a spell to temporarily alter his own sense of humor, he could make anything happen, by making it so that he would only find that one thing surprising enough to do a spit-take, and then drinking a can of Comed-Tea.

But if you’ve deliberately and knowingly changed your sense of humor to make a single thing “surprising” for the express purpose of ensuring the occurrence of that thing, how can that thing still be a “surprise”? A surprise has to be “unexpected”, after all.

quote:

Well that was a short little journey to godhood. Even I expected this to take longer than my first day of school.

So much for “I am not Dark Lord material!”

Also, why is Eliezarry assuming that there is a spell to alter his sense of humor in the first place? On what basis is he so confident that such a spell exists?

quote:

Come to think of it, he had also completely wrecked Hogwarts within ten minutes flat of getting Sorted.

Harry did feel a certain amount of regret about this - Merlin knew what an insane Headmaster was going to do to his next seven years of schooling - but he couldn't help feeling a twinge of pride, too.

Tomorrow. No later than tomorrow at the very latest he was going to stop walking down the path that led to Dark Lord Harry. A prospect which was sounding scarier by the minute.

And yet also, somehow, increasingly attractive. Part of his mind was already visualising the minions' uniforms.

"Eat," the older student sitting next to him growled, and jabbed Harry in the ribs. "Don't think. Eat."

Harry automatically started loading up his plate with whatever was in front of him, blue sausages with tiny glowing bits, whatever.

"What were you thinking about, the Sorting -" began to say Padma Patil, one of the other first-year Ravenclaws.

"No pestering during mealtimes!" chorused at least three people. "House Rule!" added another. "Otherwise we'd all starve around here."

Harry was finding himself really, really hoping that his clever new idea didn't actually work. And that the Comed-Tea worked some other way and didn't actually have the omnipotent power to alter reality. It wasn't that he didn't want to be omnipotent. It was that he just couldn't bear the thought of living in a universe that really worked like that. There was something undignified about ascending through the clever use of fizzy drinks.

But he was going to test it experimentally.

"You know," said the older student next to him in a quite pleasant tone, "we have a system for forcing people like you to eat, would you like to find out what it is?"

Harry gave up and started eating his blue sausage. It was quite good, especially the glowing bits.

Dinner passed with surprising rapidity. Harry tried to sample at least a little of all the weird new foods he saw. His curiosity couldn't stand the thought of not knowing how something tasted. Thank goodness this wasn't a restaurant where you had to order only one thing and you never found out what all the other things on the menu tasted like. Harry hated that, it was like a torture chamber for anyone with a spark of curiosity: Find out about only one of the mysteries on this list, ha ha ha!

Then it was time for dessert, which Harry had completely forgotten to leave room for. He gave up after sampling a small bit of treacle tart. Surely all these things would pass around at least once again over the course of the school year.

No “capons roasted with honey and peppers”, “warm brown loaves fresh out of the oven”, “salads of sweetgrass and spinach and plums sprinkled with crushed nuts”, “baked onions dripping with brown gravy”, “stewed apples fragrant with cinnamon” and “lemon cakes frosted in sugar”? I’m disappointed.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Wasn't this sort of thing exactly what he acted like a hardass with Hermione for? He has two theories which aren't together exhaustive, and since he's proven it wasn't one he's assumed it was the other.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Krotera posted:

Wasn't this sort of thing exactly what he acted like a hardass with Hermione for? He has two theories which aren't together exhaustive, and since he's proven it wasn't one he's assumed it was the other.

Pretty much yes.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
:eng99:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This emote is pretty much HPMoR in a nutshell.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

JosephWongKS posted:

Part 4

But if you’ve deliberately and knowingly changed your sense of humor to make a single thing “surprising” for the express purpose of ensuring the occurrence of that thing, how can that thing still be a “surprise”? A surprise has to be “unexpected”, after all.

:goonsay: Obliviate, which he already knows about.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
For some strange reason, I'm suddenly reminded of this:

quote:

A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks on his cell door at noon that day.

Having reflected on his sentence, the prisoner draws the conclusion that he will escape from the hanging. His reasoning is in several parts. He begins by concluding that the "surprise hanging" can't be on Friday, as if he hasn't been hanged by Thursday, there is only one day left - and so it won't be a surprise if he's hanged on Friday. Since the judge's sentence stipulated that the hanging would be a surprise to him, he concludes it cannot occur on Friday.

He then reasons that the surprise hanging cannot be on Thursday either, because Friday has already been eliminated and if he hasn't been hanged by Wednesday night, the hanging must occur on Thursday, making a Thursday hanging not a surprise either. By similar reasoning he concludes that the hanging can also not occur on Wednesday, Tuesday or Monday. Joyfully he retires to his cell confident that the hanging will not occur at all.

The next week, the executioner knocks on the prisoner's door at noon on Wednesday — which, despite all the above, was an utter surprise to him. Everything the judge said came true.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just one thing: I find it hard to believe that no one in Hogwarts knows about the Comed-Tea. There was a stall selling it on the platform the Hogwarts Express leaves from, with the vendor helpfully explaining exactly what it does. I can give Hermione a pass since she doesn't seem like she'd be interested in that sort of things, but there must be SOMEONE who knows about it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part 5

quote:

So what was on his to-do list, besides the ordinary school things?

To-do 1. Research mind-alteration charms so you can test the Comed-Tea and see whether you actually did figure out a path to omnipotence. Actually, just research every kind of mind magic you can find. Mind is the foundation of our power as humans, any kind of magic that affects it is the most important sort of magic there is.

I do agree with this. It’s a constant wonder why the wizarding world, with its amnesia spells (Obliviate), memory manipulation spells (Memory Charm), mind control spells (Imperius) and straight-up date rape drugs (Love Potions), isn’t far more of an awful dystopia than it already is.

quote:

To-do 2. Actually this is To-do 1 and the other is To-do 2. Go through the bookshelves of the Hogwarts and Ravenclaw libraries, familiarising yourself with the system and making sure you've at least read all the book titles. Second pass: read all tables of contents. Coordinate with Hermione who has a much better memory than you. Find out if there's an interlibrary loan system at Hogwarts and see if the two of you, especially Hermione, can visit those libraries too. If other Houses have private libraries, figure out how to access legally or sneak in.

Option 3a: Swear Hermione to secrecy and try to start researching 'From Slytherin to Slytherin: if you would seek my secrets, speak to my snake.' Problem: This sounds highly confidential and it could take quite a while to randomly run across a book containing a hint.

To-do 0: Check out what sort of information-search-and-retrieval spells exist, if any. Library magic isn't as ultimately important as mind magic but it has a much higher priority.

Option 3b: Look for a spell to magically bind Draco Malfoy to secrecy, or magically verify the sincerity of Draco's promise to keep a secret (Veritaserum?), and then ask
him about Slytherin's message...

Barely into Eliezarry’s very first day of school, and he’s already scheming to screw with his school-mate’s free will. Again, so much for “I am not Dark Lord material!”

quote:

Actually... Harry had a pretty bad feeling about option 3b.

Now that Harry thought about it, he didn't feel all that great about option 3a, either.

Harry's thoughts flashed back to possibly the worst moment of his life to date, those long seconds of blood-freezing horror beneath the Hat, when he thought he'd already failed. He'd wished then to fall back just a few minutes in time and change something, anything before it was too late...

And then it had turned out to not be too late after all.

Wish granted.

You couldn't change history. But you could get it right to start with. Do something differently the first time around.

This whole business with seeking Slytherin's secrets... seemed an awful lot like the sort of thing where, years later, you would look back and say, 'And that was where it all started going wrong.'

And he would wish desperately for the ability to fall back through time and make a different choice...

Wish granted. Now what?

I take back my words above. Credit to Eliezarry for behaving like a non-reprehensible person.

quote:

Harry slowly smiled.

It was a rather counterintuitive thought... but...

But he could, there was no rule saying he couldn't, he could just pretend he'd never heard that little whisper. Let the universe go on in exactly the same way it would have if that one critical moment had never occurred. Twenty years later, that was what he would desperately wish had happened twenty years ago, and twenty years before twenty years later happened to be right now. Altering the distant past was easy, you just had to think of it at the right time.

Or... this was even more counterintuitive... he could even inform, oh, say, Professor McGonagall, instead of Draco or Hermione. And she could get a few good people together and get that little extra spell taken off the Hat.

Why, yes. That sounded like a remarkably good idea once Harry had actually thought of it.

So very obvious in retrospect, and yet somehow, Option 3c and Option 3d just hadn't occurred to him.

If the story turns out to be about Eliezarry battling with the dark side of his personality and struggling to become a better person, I think I may actually like it, even if Eliezarry reverts to being a pompous prat from time to time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I dunno, to me it just sounds like her's trying to excuse himself for having these thoughts. Sadly we kind of fall in a lull for...a rather long time IIRC, where nothing interesting or consequential happens.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I dunno, to me it just sounds like her's trying to excuse himself for having these thoughts. Sadly we kind of fall in a lull for...a rather long time IIRC, where nothing interesting or consequential happens.

A really, really long time. This thing is hundreds of pages worth of text more than it ought to be; the Ender's Game knockoff plot and the bullying plot add absolutely nothing to the book.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part 6

quote:

Harry awarded himself +1 point on his anti-Dark-Lord-Harry program.

It had been an awfully cruel prank the Hat had played on him, but you couldn't argue with the results on consequentialist grounds. It certainly did give him a better idea of the victim's perspective, though.

To-do 4: Apologise to Neville Longbottom.

Okay, he was on a roll here, now he just had to keep it up. In every day, in every way, I'm getting Lighter and Lighter...

People around Harry had also mostly stopped eating at this point, and the dessert serving dishes began to vanish, and the used plates.

When all the plates were gone, Dumbledore once again stood up from his seat.

Harry couldn't help but feel the urge to drink another Comed-Tea.

You've GOT to be kidding, Harry thought at that piece of himself.

But the experiment didn't count if it wasn't replicated, did it? And the damage was already done, wasn't it? Didn't he want to see what would happen this time? Wasn't he curious? What if he got a different result?

Hey, I bet you're the same part of my brain that pushed through the prank on Neville Longbottom.

Er, maybe?

And is it not overwhelmingly obvious that if I do this I shall regret it one second after it is too late?

Um...

Yeah. So, NO.

John Stapp strapped himself to a rocket to research the effect of sudden deceleration on the human body. Barry Marshall and Robin Warren drank bacteria from the stomachs of ulcer suffers to prove that the bacteria was responsible for causing the ulcers. Werner Forssmann jammed a catheter up through his arm into his own heart to find out more about how the heart works. And Eliezarry Potter chose not to drink a can of Comed-Tea because of fear of embarrassment.

quote:

"Ahem," said Dumbledore from the podium, stroking his long silver beard. "Just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you."

"First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. That is why it is called the Forbidden Forest. If it were permitted it would be called the Permitted Forest."

Straightforward. Note to self: Forbidden Forest is forbidden.

"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Alas, we all know that what should be, and what is, are two different things. Thank you for keeping this in mind."

Er...

"Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. Anyone interested in reformulating the entire game of Quidditch should contact Harry Potter."

Harry inhaled his own saliva and went into a coughing fit just as all eyes turned towards him. How the hell! He hadn't met Dumbledore's eyes at any point... he didn't think. He certainly hadn't been thinking about Quidditch at the time! He hadn't talked to anyone but Ron Weasley and he didn't think Ron would have told anyone else... or had Ron run off to a professor to complain? How on Earth..

This story might very well be downright enjoyable, if Dumbledore’s gonna keep on trolling Eliezarry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JosephWongKS posted:

John Stapp strapped himself to a rocket to research the effect of sudden deceleration on the human body. Barry Marshall and Robin Warren drank bacteria from the stomachs of ulcer suffers to prove that the bacteria was responsible for causing the ulcers. Werner Forssmann jammed a catheter up through his arm into his own heart to find out more about how the heart works. And Eliezarry Potter chose not to drink a can of Comed-Tea because of fear of embarrassment.
He's not concerned for himself though, he's worried for some reason that a cheap novelty item sold openly in public might actually have the power to fundamentally alter reality in catastrophic ways in order to cause surprising events to happen. In this case, he believes that by drinking the comed-tea he made Dumbledore insane, that if he hadn't drank it then Dumbledore's speech would have been completely unremarkable.

It's still dumb, but it's not just that he's worried about embarrassing himself.