Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Carillon posted:

Don't feel like a philistine! It's a whole tradition as described by Raymond Chandler in The Long Goodbye, https://tohaveandhaveanother.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/have-a-gimlet-tonight-to-honor-raymond-chandler/.

I know it's a common recipe, I just also know people in this thread prefer fresh juice and simple syrup to Rose's.

I actually started drinking liquor because of The Long Goodbye. It was maybe a month after I turned 21, I had just been drinking beer up to that point because I live in microbrew heaven. I was at a used bookstore in Atlanta and picked up the only Raymond Chandler book they had. The book mentions bourbon, scotch, and rye on top of the gin gimlet (gently caress people for thinking to invent vodka gimlets and making me specify when I order one at a bar). So on a whim I went out and bought a 375 of Evan Williams, and I've been drinking whiskey ever since. The gimlet was also the second cocktail I ever ordered, thanks to the book.

On the other hand from Kenning's quote, I have never heard of anybody using soda water in a gimlet. That would just be a Gin Rickey / Tom Collins with lime.

edit: I forgot to mention. If you have Leopold Bros apple whiskey, make a moscow mule with it. It's delicious. There's a steakhouse around here that makes them and calls it a manhattan mule. My whiskey-hating fiancee even liked it. It was definitely better than the food.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Atlas Shrugged drove me to a few drinks, but probably not for the reasons you're suggesting.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
T

Halloween Jack posted:

Atlas Shrugged drove me to a few drinks, but probably not for the reasons you're suggesting.

his could be the new thread title.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Trip Report: I did crank out a Limmer's and served it in my grandmother's '70s as hell chip bowl.

Capillaire is goddamned delicious. Muddling thick lemon zest with sugar and leaving to work its magic for an hour makes the kitchen smell like pure bliss and I spent a while just sniffing the bowl.

One friend was significantly delayed so the other friend and I drank the whole bowl. While grilling porkchops and pinwheels on a second floor deck. It was a hysterically awful idea and I am now under orders to make punch for all of our cookouts. Next will probably be another gin punch with Maraschino in place of the capillaire the name of which eacapes me and I need another coffee before I go look it up in my copy of Punch.

My wife came downstairs somewhere after the end of the punch, a bottle of PBR, and a few half-pints from a growler of locally brewed wheat beer to make sure I was alive and coming to bed. And I wound up playing Black Flag until four before dragging my rear end up and passing out.

Oh, a pretty intense game of hungry hungry hippos took place somewhere in there.

That's Garrick's Club. I'm glad you had a fine time a-punching! Garrick's Club is good, but make sure you have some syrup on hand to adjust it up, because with just maraschino it's too dry. I also strongly recommend Admiral Russel's Punch.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Fellow alcoholics, I am here from the future to impart this wisdom: plain gin doesn't make good jello shots, not even if you fancy it up with a cute tonic water jelly-consistency gelatinized topping and a squeeze of lime. It's workable with about a tablespoon of rough turbinado sugar on top (gives it a fun crunch), but still not really worth repeating.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's because gin is good, and jello shots are bad.

Does the punch book have non-alcoholic punches too? I'd like to try making one for a family get-together.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Pile of Kittens posted:

Fellow alcoholics, I am here from the future to impart this wisdom: plain gin doesn't make good jello shots, not even if you fancy it up with a cute tonic water jelly-consistency gelatinized topping and a squeeze of lime. It's workable with about a tablespoon of rough turbinado sugar on top (gives it a fun crunch), but still not really worth repeating.

Suddenly that advice yesterday makes sense. Not even with craft tonic syrup?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
A non-alcoholic punch is a bowel of Arnold Palmers, or sweetened, dilute fruit juice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

A non-alcoholic punch is a bowel of Arnold Palmers

I'm not sure what exactly your drinking habits are, but please don't bring them around here.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure what exactly your drinking habits are, but please don't bring them around here.

:stonkhat:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does the punch book have non-alcoholic punches too? I'd like to try making one for a family get-together.

Nope. A bowl of modified Arnold Palmer would be kickass, though.

For the lemonade, thinly slice your lemons and muddle with sugar before leaving to sit for an hour or so like a sherbet. Then add good quality brewed and cooled tea like a nice oolong. Seltzer in place of the water for the lemonade portion to lighten it up. Adjust sweetness with simple syrup and float your ice.

Aim for lighter than usual as Arnold Palmer is often thickish and heavy for a punch. The seltzer will help in this regard but you may want to use a bit more than you use water in standalone lemonade. The ice block will also help as it melts to avoid sticky mouths and fuzzy tongues.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That actually sounds really good. I was trying to avoid anything too heavily citrus, but I think a carbonated Arnold Palmer would be good.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

What's a good cocktail to pair with steak? I usually go with an old fashioned made with high rye bourbon or just a neat Islay scotch, but I want to change it up.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Wine, then Scotch.

e: Fitzroy. It's a Rob Roy (Scotch Manhattan) with a smoky float.

tynam
May 14, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

I'm yet to find a hotel bar in Tokyo that tops the Mandarin. Everything about it is wonderful. The fact that there's no service/cover charge probably leads me to end up spending way more there than I would otherwise. If you go and you're a dude, order a Nihombashi cocktail and DO NOT MISS the restroom. You'll see.

The bar at the Park Hyatt was pretty sweet, but I haven't been to many hotel bars while there. The tiki drinks at the Mandarin were great too.

zmcnulty posted:

I think the whole Japan cocktail scene can sort of be summarized like a lot of other Japanese industries: less about originality than it is about "refinement." Often to a degree that most people aren't even close to caring about...

I guess I'm just in love with the "refinement" part. I love that I'm able to taste the difference when using good ice, good mixers and perfectly balanced drinks. You can still get great original drinks if you just go all out omakase, you just need to remind them not to use green tea liqueur since that's their go-to choice of liqueur for any foreigner. Original drinks just don't seem popular since most people in Japan never seem to deviate from the stuff they always order... but all the bartenders I've met seemed to really enjoy making new stuff.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I gotta defend my favorite cocktail country in the world. Also thinking of going back in October, fml.

tynam
May 14, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

Wine, then Scotch.

e: Fitzroy. It's a Rob Roy (Scotch Manhattan) with a smoky float.

Wine definitely, but a regular Manhattan works well too. I'm not a big fan of the smoke from scotch with steak.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
code:
There is a shop about Ginza-itcome under the soil.
The cocktail is the main and The malt whisky has been treated.
There are a handmade raw ham and a rare chocolate,too.
However, the key player behind the scenes is ice that shines mysteriously.
It is born from big ice every day.
The staff of rich individuality is waiting for you to come.
STAR BAR GINZA

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Experimentation report: Carbonated margaritas are excellent.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Suddenly that advice yesterday makes sense. Not even with craft tonic syrup?

The tonic jelly was the better part. I think the gelatin causes the bitterness of the gin to stay on the tongue for too long and it becomes extremely overwhelming, like if you took a shot of gin and just held it in your mouth for a minute.

Also, to the gelatin-hating jerk, I will have you know I ate it with a spoon and in moderation. What kind of lout do you take me for? Keepin' it classy up in this bitch. I guess it's my fault for calling it "jello shots" but I didn't want to come off like a complete fancypants snob calling them "gelatin squares" or whatever.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

tynam posted:

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I gotta defend my favorite cocktail country in the world. Also thinking of going back in October, fml.

Totally unrelated, but do you by chance read the manga titled "Bartender"? Or watch the live action version I guess.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

gwrtheyrn posted:

Totally unrelated, but do you by chance read the manga titled "Bartender"? Or watch the live action version I guess.

"W-..this is the best drink I've ever had! How did you know I'd like this?"

"Ah, yes sir, I saw the tan line of a wedding ring on your finger. This drink is for those who are lonely. This drink is called Red Headed Slut."

tynam
May 14, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I actually first encountered it at a bar in Ginza that had the books on their bar counter (freakin Bar Mori of all places). When I asked them about it, it apparently got big enough that it caused a huge popularity surge in bars in general... along with insufferable kids ordering gin fizzes and judging them intensely. I've since read some of it and found it amusing but pretty ridiculous. Rotten Cookies summed it up pretty well.

Haven't seen anything about the live action version, but I guess it was popular too? Japanese TV is pretty awful though except the occasional game show.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Suggestions for great long drinks to make for a party of ten this Friday? My list so far:

Dark and Stormy
La Paloma
Mojito
GnT
Moscow Mule

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Toss a Collins on that list. And go lazy and make some Cuba libre while at it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Since you have mint a south side iirc as well.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Amaretto sour: To egg white or not to egg white?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Slimchandi posted:

Suggestions for great long drinks to make for a party of ten this Friday? My list so far:

Dark and Stormy
La Paloma
Mojito
GnT
Moscow Mule

French 75

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

As a bartender I'd say never because the person who orders an amaretto sour is the person who will freak out if I tell them there's an egg in their drink, but idk whether it tastes better or is traditional at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Butch Cassidy posted:

My answer is no, but that's because I only make them when I want something quick and easy (and stiffened with bourbon).

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress it. 3 oz. amaretto, 1.5 oz. lemon juice, three dashes of Angostura bitters, and ~1/2 a white shaken and strained into the first smallish glass to come out of the cabinet.

Egg white was the correct decision.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Butch Cassidy posted:

gently caress it. 3 oz. amaretto, 1.5 oz. lemon juice, three dashes of Angostura bitters, and ~1/2 a white shaken and strained into the first smallish glass to come out of the cabinet.

Egg white was the correct decision.

That looks awesome and I love your coasters!

I have Tanqeray, Hendricks, and Bombay (dry). What should I use in a Tom Collins?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hendrick's will wash out but either of the other two would do fine. I prefer the sharper note of Bombay to stand up to the lemon, personally.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: Disregard, I'm an idiot and thought it had shipping less than $bend over and take it$

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 1, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's a recipe for margaritas?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
1. 2 parts tequila to 1 part Cointreau, juice of 1 lime, serve up in a salt-rimmed cocktail glass.

2. Same as above, but with Grand Marnier instead of Cointreau.

3. 2 parts tequila to 1 part Tuaca, juice of 1 lime, serve up in a cocktail glass that's been rinsed with Galliano.

Those are my favourites. Honestly, I regard salt as totally optional.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I drink mine short strong at 2:1:1, always with Cointreau and fresh lime. But that made me think of this followup question.
What's the proper technique to measure ice for making frozen cocktails? It's a difficult balance; too little and your frozen cocktail is just slush, too much and you've watered it down. I want to be able to make a "mound" out of the drink. I'm considering getting an ice cream maker but last thing I need is another appliance in my kitchen.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

It's tough. Iirc Jeffrey morganthalers book had a big section about frozen ratios.

My marg recipe is
2 Oz tequila
.75 lime
. 75 curacao (I use clement Creole shrubb)
.5 agave syrup (1:1 agave nectar to water)

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty good rule of thumb for frozen cocktails is add the amount of ice you need to fill the glass and then a little bit more but its also gonna depend on the size/shape of your ice, if it's big chunky cubes you'll definitely need to add a bit more than will fill the glass, but if its relatively flat, you probably can just fill the glass with ice and dump it in the blender and just go to town.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Halloween Jack posted:

1. 2 parts tequila to 1 part Cointreau, juice of 1 lime, serve up in a salt-rimmed cocktail glass.

2. Same as above, but with Grand Marnier instead of Cointreau.

3. 2 parts tequila to 1 part Tuaca, juice of 1 lime, serve up in a cocktail glass that's been rinsed with Galliano.

Those are my favourites. Honestly, I regard salt as totally optional.

I went with #1 and that poo poo is amazing. I'm never going back to pre-mix, but drat if Cointreau wasn't more expensive than I thought it would be. Still worth it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Many will disagree, but I've made the argument before that DeKuyper O3 is a fine substitute for Cointreau. But for God's sake don't use generic triple sec.