Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Anyone know the part number for a subaru boost control solenoid for a 05 sti? I can't seem to find it online. I'm having problems with only boosting to .05 mpa and then it'll boost fine the next day for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I can't find it on opposed forces. Seems like a weird things to fail but I assume that there are tons of them floating around nasioc etc from guys that went to a 3-port.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I can't find it on opposed forces. Seems like a weird things to fail but I assume that there are tons of them floating around nasioc etc from guys that went to a 3-port.

Yeah it's weird. I'll be able to boost to over .1 mpa and then 5 minutes later it won't boost above .05 mpa. I've gone over every hose that I can think of and I can't find a boost leak. For example I have a 20 minute commute home from work and when I left work I was able to reach full boost in all gears and then 3 miles from home it won't boost above .05 mpa. I then did a few things around the house and then drove the car a half hour after I got home and it'll boost fine.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

G-Mach posted:

Anyone know the part number for a subaru boost control solenoid for a 05 sti? I can't seem to find it online. I'm having problems with only boosting to .05 mpa and then it'll boost fine the next day for awhile.
Emission System - Emission Components 2.5 Liter Turbo w/STI - Solenoid Valve - $151.32 Part number 16102AA360

Is that what you are looking for?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What are the stock spring rates on a blobeye?

Can't get a concrete answer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The numbers I've heard are around 163f/132r with maybe an extra 10lb rear for wagons.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I can convert it to metric, what are the units? Pounds/?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

lb/in. To convert to kg/mm, divide by 56.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thanks

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I'm bad and bought a 3rd car. My dad sold me his 04 wrx wagon. I plan to part time dd it and rally cross it. I'm not worried about class as my dad has already put in a light fly wheel and decated up pipe. Any reason why I shouldn't look into forester suspension for a little lift?

Edit: and what Subaru forums are worth a poo poo?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Skip lifting it and find a skid plate. Primative racing sells them.

Also look for a set of 15s that will clear your brakes and a set of gravel tires, easily found used from rally teams (I have tons if you are in new england). If you don't want to go that route, separate 16s with winterforces are ok too. You can go a lot faster when you aren't worried about driving home on the same tires.

Dirty impreza is ok, RS25 is ok, nasioc if you know how to filter the BS is ok. You'll get better answers here.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
My main reason for wanting to raise it is to avoid knocking my bumper off. The front and rear bumper on my gf's civic are only held on by zip tires after 4 rally cross events. If that's not a problem for rallycross in a Subaru, yeah I'll just put plates on.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The front bumpers hold up fine, they only turned to cheese after 07.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The clips on the sides are absolute poo poo, my blobeye bumper is held on by zipties

I hit a kangaroo hard enough to kill it though and the toral damage was an inch long crack and some scratched paint. No extra zipties needed than what was already holding up the sides.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Sorry to spam the thread. What's the current thought on tuners? My dad gave me an Openport 2.0 with the car. Is there any real reason to go with anything else as long as I'm not an idiot?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Does anyone have a '15 WRX that can give me some input?

I'm planning on ordering a '16 when they get released later this year. I've been driving an Abarth for about a year and had an '11 WRX prior to that, a car I wish I had never gotten rid of.

I miss the AWD in New Jersey, especially with the winter we had this year, and would like to have the extra space that the Abarth obviously doesn't offer.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm looking at repair costs north of $4000 to replace a leaking head gasket, machine the heads, and replace both catalytic converters in a 2006 Forester. The car runs alright now, with the occasional rough start (presumably from oil leaking into the engine). Here's the thing: I'm going back to college full time at the end of the year and probably will not need a daily driver, so I'd be ditching this car anyway. At the same time, any money I save now will be invaluable when my income disappears. What are the odds of it limping along another 8 months/~2500 miles?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

External leak? Just let it dribble and keep the coolant topped up. Did you overheat it? Why do you think you need a new cat?

You could do that job for a lot less than $4k, hell a whole new junkyard motor and exhaust is going to run you less than that. Look for used parts and a more affordable mechanic (if you don't want to tackle it yourself) and you'll be able to get it running 100% for a lot cheaper than that.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

4k is dealer rear end gently caress prices. an indie guy should be able to get you under 2k.

an eastern catalytic poop teir cat should be a few hundred and exploded after you get your sticker, headgaskets are 300 in parts + timing kit and the rest is labor.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You probably don't need to replace your cats and even if you do just bash one out and buy 1 new one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm getting intermittent clicking coming in and out of gears. I mostly notice it when I'm quick to release the clutch, but not always. Any ideas of what it could be? I really hope it isn't anything major, I've already dumped $2500 into this loving car in the past 8 months.

edit: I got in an accident recently (not my fault), could this be related? Pushed the grill/left headlight back by .5 - 1.5 inches, the bodyshop I took it to initially said it was just the front supports and the hood damaged. Radiator isn't cracked or damaged at all, so I thought everything in the engine bay was fine.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 2, 2015

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Shrapnig posted:

Does anyone have a '15 WRX that can give me some input?

I'm planning on ordering a '16 when they get released later this year. I've been driving an Abarth for about a year and had an '11 WRX prior to that, a car I wish I had never gotten rid of.

I miss the AWD in New Jersey, especially with the winter we had this year, and would like to have the extra space that the Abarth obviously doesn't offer.

I got a 15 back in December, have about 2k miles on it so far. What were you wondering about in particular?

And for snow with altimax arctics on it I never wasn't able to get to work this winter just outside of Boston, except for that day there was a travel ban. But I totally could have if it wasn't illegal.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
The throttle mapping where you get 100% power at 50% pedal is weird, the rev hang kinda sucks, the carbon trim is ugly, the side skirts are easy to scratch because they stick out so much, the doors are either half open or open really wide. I think the 2016 will fix the useless voice dialing. The Subaru winter floor mats are useless, don't bother, get some digital fit aftermarket, if you want to keep your carpet clean. I don't understand why people replace every bulb in the car with leds. If you replace the vanity mirror light you should have your car crushed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mattmofob posted:

I don't understand why people replace every bulb in the car with leds. If you replace the vanity mirror light you should have your car crushed.

Don't read NASIOC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've replaced a few bulbs with LEDs. Mostly just the dome lights, so if I forget to turn the dome light off and leave a door open too long while working on the car it doesn't drain the battery.

I did the third brake light in the Miata so it was really obvious that I am braking. I'd probably do turn signals too if there wasn't the whole pain in the rear end of adding flasher modules.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone know what the proper torque spec for an engine oil drainplug on a newer 2.5 with a crush washer? It's a fairly small washer. 2011 Legacy

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've replaced a few bulbs with LEDs. Mostly just the dome lights, so if I forget to turn the dome light off and leave a door open too long while working on the car it doesn't drain the battery.

Yeah that's why I did mine. It started in the cabs because we go through some lights like crazy and I got tired of replacing them. It has the added advantage of being bright as hell and not killing the battery if it gets left on overnight.

I replaced all my outside bulbs with leds but the high level brake lights seem to trip the ABS light, which Is sorta weird - they stayed as incandescents

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone know how much the A/C compressors varied across the EJ25 engines? Unless I can figure out how to rebuild the damned pulley on the front (the compressor works fine, just the bushings that hold the pulley on have failed) I'm going to be searching junkyards, and subaru's aren't common in the junkyards around here.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

slidebite posted:

Anyone know what the proper torque spec for an engine oil drainplug on a newer 2.5 with a crush washer? It's a fairly small washer. 2011 Legacy

Crush the washer, make it snug. I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on a drain plug.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 2, 2015

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
on my car it's about two-finger-tight on a 9" ratchet

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

Crush the washer, make it snug. I don't think I've ever used a torque wrench on a drain plug.

That's what I ended up doing but the washer doesn't seem to want to crush. I got it tight as I was comfortable doing. No leaks at least.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Get a Fumoto drain valve if you're gonna be doing regular oil changes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Way ahead of you, that is exactly what I put on.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Have they fixed the problem with the threads sticking up into the oil pan and thus not allowing everything to fully drain?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Couldn't tell ya, I wouldn't be surprised if the threads stuck up a bit stopping some from draining but it took full manual capacity so whatever was left in the pan was pretty minor.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
But isn't that very last volume what's most likely to contain the worst sludge/particulates?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If a person just ran the engine a few minutes before draining, which I did, it's not going to be anything terrible. Besides, it's not like I let oil get super dirty to begin with.

I suppose if it is a big concern and would lose sleep over it (I won't), you could just keep the drain open and pour a bit down the fill to just help flush the rest out.

I buy it in a 4.5-5L container so there is always a bit left over anyhow.

e: What's the go to filter for Subarus anyhow? I typically use Wix for my other vehicles.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 4, 2015

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm about to change the spark plugs on my H6 Outback. Pray for me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

e: What's the go to filter for Subarus anyhow? I typically use Wix for my other vehicles.

I use Napa Golds (7712) since the bypass spring pressure on a lot of the cheap stuff (*cough* Bosch) is very low - you need 23psi. I think the Wix 57712 is the same filter.

The FB has a different Wix filter, the 57055 apparently. I don't have any experience on non-EJs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I got this so I don't have to worry about it for a while, comes with crush washers: http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters-Washers-Pack/dp/B007NLQO0O