Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

Wait isn't C still dealing with the fallout of its syntax decisions today? Even looking past stuff like trigraphs, people look at you funny if you compile without warnings enabled because C lets you write a bunch of stuff that looks good but which actually does something totally different from what you want. Also C syntax leads to stuff like goto fail.

Why would you hold up C of all things as the gold standard of syntax?

because c, c++, c#, and Java, aka all of the adult languages, are in agreement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk I Wikipediaed elm and it was like "a single line comment is --" no, gently caress you, it is // and there is no reason for it not to be

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

idk I Wikipediaed elm and it was like "a single line comment is --" no, gently caress you, it is // and there is no reason for it not to be

// is integer division. elm is part of the ml family which all share a lot of syntax

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

OK, but they are wrong

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

single line comment syntax is a weird thing to get stuck on

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah i mean sql, a known Useful Language, uses -- for comments

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
ignoring comments, the lack of parentheses for function application is pretty critical for OCaml, f#, haskell etc. it enables partial application

e: Bloody does have a good point though about how lots of langs have different syntax just for the sake of it. letting you choose between whitespace sensitivity and braces+; gives you the best of both worlds

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 29, 2015

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
; is an ok comment character too, considering that lisp's been using it since forever

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

letting you choose between whitespace sensitivity and braces+; gives you the best of both worlds

i don't see why a modern lang wouldn't do this, unless you're Guido and believe that braces are ~unpythonic~ (or vice versa)

I mean by design it'd be perfectly backwards compatible. it's not like langs (generally) themselves have an opinion on spaces vs tabs for example

e: i guess that it'd cause

if (cond)
do_thing;

to potentially be an error where it wasn't before but I don't really see that as a problem :colbert:

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 29, 2015

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Bloody posted:

i always think functional languages should be really good for machine learning but i have absolutely no reason to think that and no evidence to support such a thought

this is what happens when you let haskell people think about machine learning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

did you ever see the paper about making a separate monad instance for each different probability distribution

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

VikingofRock posted:

Only in the sense that everything language is terrible (functional or not). Go learn a functional language! You're (probably) not going to get a job with it but it'll be fun and interesting and you'll get a wider perspective on coding as a whole.

but then what's the point? like why would i bother learning haskell if i won't be able to really do anything to make money with it?

fart simpson posted:

javascript syntax is pretty good

bless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blinkz0rz posted:

but then what's the point? like why would i bother learning haskell if i won't be able to really do anything to make money with it?

same reason you might learn another human language: give you a new perspective, let you understand more writings and participate in additional interesting conversations.

see also taking a pottery class even if you don't want to make vases for a living

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hi pl thread should i learn rust

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Subjunctive posted:

same reason you might learn another human language: give you a new perspective, let you understand more writings and participate in additional interesting conversations.

see also taking a pottery class even if you don't want to make vases for a living

lol no human communication is broader and more important than beep beep boop booping a computer. if it doesn't help me make money i'm not gonna learn a new programming language. that's just stupid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol no human communication is broader and more important than beep beep boop booping a computer. if it doesn't help me make money i'm not gonna learn a new programming language. that's just stupid.

yes, my point is that you might choose to learn many things other than to be paid to perform them. if you're not interested in programming as a hobby, and you don't think that being able to participate in Haskell conversations about types and such will make you a better programmer (both of which are IMO reasonable positions) then by all means pass.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i gotcha

so then other than pet project knowledge, what do people actually use haskell for?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nothing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

making arguments on the Internet

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

whoops this isn't the pl thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

As a Millennial I posted:

hi pl thread should i learn rust

yes. im having fun with it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Blinkz0rz posted:

i gotcha

so then other than pet project knowledge, what do people actually use haskell for?

the guy that makes elm gets paid to make elm and elm is implemented in haskell

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

haskell seems pretty nice for that kinda stuff but only .1% of programmers are doing that kinda stuff and the rest are all just gluing that kinda stuff together with high level imperative langs and that kinda stuff kinda stuff

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Deacon of Delicious posted:

comin' in here with their monads, and their capital letters :argh:

i meant all the scattergory theory stuff

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i'm thinking of writing a sql static analysis tool in F# for some of the weird sql poo poo we do at work but i'm too lazy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what set of problems is haskell the right choice for

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

it seems pretty good for writing compilers, i guess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i also think its the right choice for the types of small automation scripting stuff i do to make my job easier

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

i gotcha

the primary use of Haskell is as a research and development language for creating new and useful features for real languages like c#.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

shaggar what is your opinion on F#?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive never used it but its functional so I probably would avoid it in favor of c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it certainly seems to have better syntax than most functional languages

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fart simpson posted:

haskell is one of the least bad languages out there imho

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

the set that your professor gives you

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VikingofRock posted:

I've been thinking about making a CoC Haskell thread for a while now, to help with little questions like this. Would other people here have an interest in that? I don't really have a ton of experience writing practical Haskell so it feels a little weird for me to make the thread, but I'd definitely be willing to put in the time to make/maintain the OP if no one else wants to.

you should do this, or a general fp thread.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

haskell.org homepage tutorial posted:

The fst function just gets the first value. It's called "fst" because it's used a lot in Haskell so it really needs to be short!

i don't know if i can go on

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
'car' is good if they wanted a three letter name that didn't make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that sentence is stupid tho because pattern matching means you're rarely using fst directly anyway

i'm glad clojure avoided dumb names and stupid operators

• Locked thread