Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Keiya posted:

I like Doom. I like Ponies. I think whoever built this needs to be shot.

Agreed.

Also I didn't actually know Term was a goon. My bad. That'll teach me to only read the latest 10 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

Hey, what if Valve incorporated Doom mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbrNMpv3nDo

Does this count?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As mentioned in the steam thread, I'd pay for BtSX and Square in a heartbeat. I hope somebody is using those as an entry into a professional game design career.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I must confess I didn't play a whole lot of BtS-X. Maybe a few maps of Episode 1 at most. It didn't particularly grab me, although the quality was definitely there.

Adventures of Square, though, I basically binged in a single day.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I wrote out a 3-4 paragraph rebuttal to someone on facebook claiming Halo is better than Doom. I then deleted it, realizing no one can give these loving kids good taste.

E: gently caress. It happened. I sound like an old man.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 29, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Kazvall posted:

I wrote out a 3-4 paragraph rebuttal to someone on facebook claiming Halo is better than Doom. I then deleted it, realizing no one can give these loving kids good taste.

E: gently caress. It happened. I sound like an old man.

:v:

For real though, the first Halo and Reach are decent enough but the rest of that series is watery poo poo.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:v:

For real though, the first Halo and Reach are decent enough but the rest of that series is watery poo poo.

I'm not saying Halo 1 is bad by any means.. But better than Doom? gently caress that!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
All three of the original Halo games were perfectly fine and good, but none of them stand up against Doom.

That said, I had more of a blast with Halo 3 multiplayer than I ever really did with Doom. (e: with Doom multiplayer)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 29, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

All three of the original Halo games were perfectly fine and good, but none of them stand up against Doom.

That said, I had more of a blast with Halo 3 multiplayer than I ever really did with Doom.

Same, but halo 2. 8 people huddled around two small tv's, trying to kill each other in Headlong :allears:

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I've got to give Halo CE props, that was some of the most fun stupid fun I've ever had. The mods for that game often made no sense in any regard, but they felt good.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've only played Halo 1, but the combat is great and the weapons are fun. The repetitive map design is the only real problem I had with it.

Apparently, from what I've heard, map design is an issue throughout the entire series.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno, the really blatant copy-pasting was dialed down after the first game. The only thing really dragging down 2 and 3 are lovely Flood levels (Cortana :argh:)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

I dunno, the really blatant copy-pasting was dialed down after the first game. The only thing really dragging down 2 and 3 are lovely Flood levels (Cortana :argh:)

I might be the only person who kind of enjoyed fighting the Flood :ohdear:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I might be the only person who kind of enjoyed fighting the Flood :ohdear:

In Halo 1 I had no problem with them because it meant I could use that sweet, sweet shotgun a lot in their levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Covenant, especially the Elites, were really impressive and clever enemies for early 2000s AI, and every fight against several Elites was unique and challenging in its own way. I really enjoyed fighting against them.

Then the Flood kinda poo poo on it by being really lovely generic zombie enemies that kill you with a thousand cuts.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I feel old when I remember Halo being previewed as this amazing PC game, followed by me being really disappointed that it would be only a console exclusive. What might have been...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Halo had a bit of a weird development history. It went from, of all things, a Myth-like RTS to the more expected third-person shooter before we got the FPS final product. It's kind of nice that it turned out as solid as it did.

I never really played through any of them as I never owned an OG Xbox (though I have a 360 now). I did play a few hours of co-op in each the main three titles and the deathmatches were fun as gently caress even though I was awful at it.

I do remember being frustrated over the weapons because it was the first FPS I've ever played where you can only carry two weapons instead of playing some roided-up space marine that can carry 13 guns at once. I got over that pretty quick though because the weapon variety was pretty good and you get vehicles to gently caress around on.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Well the first one did get a PC port that was good. Except for the part were the inexplicably removed coop from the game. :argh: Also if you own a 360 you can probably find a cheap copy of Halo: Reach which is one of (if not the) best of the series.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Wasn't reach the first to bring the series closer in line with other modern shooters? I can easily be mistaken, I didn't play much of it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Halo games were among the few that actually did the limited inventory well, since most weapons were useful in their own way and made you approach situations differently.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

RyokoTK posted:

The Halo games were among the few that actually did the limited inventory well, since most weapons the pistol was useful in their own every way and made you approach situations differently.

Made a small mistake there, ftfy

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The pistol was only super-powered in the first game, the second and especially third had overall superior balance.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's interesting that Halo has come up in this thread because I am pretty sure it is the demarcation line between what I consider to be old school shooters and more modern stuff

Halo sort of pioneered a couple of ideas that have taken over shooters. Dedicated grenades, recharging health, only being able to hold limited weapons. All of this was done in a game for consoles that was very PC like as compared to earlier console shooters which controlled very differently from PC. Since Halo we have pretty much seen a convergence of Console and PC FPS to the point where they are one in the same.

I don't know if Halo is better than Doom but it has probably been the game to change shooters the most since Doom.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I swear it wasn't that long ago we had this conversation.

...I liked Halo (only played the first one on PC), at least up until the Flood ruined the game within one level. If they'd only shown up the first time as one of those weird things on the ring, and then you went back to fighting the Covenant in nice, open-ish levels it'd have been just fine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually would implicate Half-Life as the end of the early FPS rather than Halo, because that's when the genre became extremely linear, and had the story and action setpieces more tightly intertwined. I think Halo is more relevant in making the genre more console friendly and casual (which I mean in a good way, rather than a pejorative one).

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Are you trying to tell us something?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can see merit for either choice, although I tend to go for the Halo demarcation myself.

One thing I liked about Halo: CE is that health actually doesn't regenerate, only your shield does; it seemed like an interesting attempt to merge the not-yet-fully-emerged recharging health mechanic and the traditional FPS health bar. That said, I suppose it's kind of redundant being designed that way, hence why Halo 2 onward (barring Reach) threw that out and made everything center on the shield; plus, Borderlands has the same shield/health mechanic, and for some reason it feels kind of confusing there.

Tried Gunman Chronicles on the Windows 7 machine, although to get the darned thing to even work I had to plop it into my Half-Life Steam folder. Funny how it Steam immediately recognized what I was doing (well, after rebooting it, anyway), even recognizing that it's the demo instead of the full game. Although, it's kind of a shame that it still has some obvious Half-Life-isms that the demo executable itself wouldn't have (e.g.: playing Half-Life CD music at certain points in the demo, having the HEV suit talk to you when you get hit in a game without HEV suits, Half-Life models in the game's Multiplayer options menu, Freeman's mug adorning the title screen). Still, worked a treat at 1920x1080, can't complain too much. I should really check out the full game at some point.

Also tried Descent with this Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick I found at Goodwill. Stick works a treat, which is nice considering it's a joystick Logitech's apparently still selling for $40 that I found for only $15 - although actually playing Descent with it simultaneously feels natural yet unnatural. Pitch (looking up/down) feels great, even despite pushing the stick toward the monitor looking downward (when I typically prefer the opposite with mice/analog sticks). However, I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around roll and yaw; I can't decide if I want the stick's X-axis to be yaw and the twist to be roll, like I'd assumed I'd want, or for the twist to be yaw and the X-axis to be roll, like I keep seeming to think it's set up as. I've swapped back and forth between both options while playing through the first level, but keep performing one action assuming it'd do the other, leading to a lot of me rolling around in place when I want to turn. Also not sure I have a good way to map sliding (ie: actually moving the ship forward/backward/upward/downward/sideways) to this thing; for the time being I'm using my left hand with WASD/space/shift to cover that aspect, but I'm not sure that's the ideal method. Ah, well. I should really try a flight sim with this, or splurge on the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series that went up on GOG/Steam recently (or just track down a physical copy of X-Wing Collector's Edition, since I have TIE Fighter Collector's Edition from a thrift store for some reason).

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember Gunman Chronicles. It was basically a Half-life mod that they sold in stores. I remember not being able to get very far in it for some reason.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Steam Workshop had a fart and publicly exposed some unreleased mod workshops briefly. One of them was the workshop for Black Mesa multiplayer maps. SteamDB took notes while it was up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

catlord posted:

I swear it wasn't that long ago we had this conversation.

...I liked Halo (only played the first one on PC), at least up until the Flood ruined the game within one level. If they'd only shown up the first time as one of those weird things on the ring, and then you went back to fighting the Covenant in nice, open-ish levels it'd have been just fine.

The Flood were my favorite enemies to fight in CE. I think it's because they were just these big targets, just walls of meat that you could unload your weapons into, and because they were so tricky to fight I REALLY wanted to get them, where fighting the Covenant grunts was like...I dunno, slinging mud at chimps or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It didn't help that the second Flood level was incredibly repetitive even by Halo standards. 4 passes through almost indistinguishable copies of the same dark, gray, cavernous space with nothing but endless waves rushing you for half an hour.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I thought Halo: ODST was alright too. :unsmith: Mostly the semi-open ended exploration of the dark city bits.

Halo 1, ODST and Reach were perfectly fun games to me. The rest has felt filler and never really hit that same sweet spot, even in co-op.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Woolie Wool posted:

Modes of Destruction has been updated to version 0.4 with two new weapons, an optional HUD based on Blue Shadow's NC HUD, and a whole host of in-game options. Also you can swing a chainsaw like a sword and kill up to nine enemies at once to slake the thirst of the Blood God.

Played a bit of this on BtSX for the first time and it's pretty solid! One thing it does is a personal pet peeve of mine, which is how the recoil doesn't reset the aim back down after firing. Anyone else irrationally annoyed by small stuff like that?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, the only thing that's really struck me as coming even close is Rise of the Triad [2013], and even then it's not quite there.

Yeah. I absolutely hate RoTT and so hated RoTT 2013, but I agree it definitely feels very faithful to the source. I'm basically looking for single-player FPSes that emulate Doom's speed of play, but none of what I've played manages. :(

Kazvall posted:

I'm not saying Halo 1 is bad by any means.. But better than Doom? gently caress that!

To be fair, there are very few FPSes that have come out since Doom that are better than Doom, so it's not like the bar is set low. :v: Fingers crossed that Doom 4 will end up a return to form for the series, since it's supposedly meant to be closer to Doom 1/2.

Also, maybe now that Microsoft are making noises about supporting PC games again and Windows 10 will let you natively stream games from Xbone, we'll get a port of the Master Chief Collection or even just the Anniversary edition of Halo 1 (or hey, I'd settle for GOG releasing the original ports of 1/2, I guess). :unsmith:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 29, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I own Halo 1 on PC and I thought it was decent back in the days. When I got my first 360, it came with Halo 3 wich I found absolutely garbage, especially the flood part. One of the worst FPS experiences I've had. Halo: Reach was a free game for gold subscribers time ago and I got it on my account, might check it out this weekend that I won't be able to do pc gaming.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Halo: Reach is probably the best shooter on the 360, and I'd gladly pay $60 to buy it again on the PC.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
http://store.steampowered.com/app/204450/

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Is this the good one the thread was talking about awhile back?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Yes, Gunslinger is a total must own

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204450/

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Is this the good one the thread was talking about awhile back?

Buy the pack with Blood Dragon if you don't own both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

Halo: Reach is probably the best shooter on the 360, and I'd gladly pay $60 to buy it again on the PC.

I agree. I enjoy all the Halo games but Reach is really great. The level where you are traversing from skyscraper to skyscraper in that gunship is one of my favorite Halo levels. The story is really cool and simple as its just about some soldiers doing their job and holding out against impossible odds.