Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Serious Eats has some great "instant" noodles recipes. They're all pretty great (and healthy).

THANK YOU! I've been looking for this for ages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

m.hache posted:

When I did consulting for a hospital in the states it just blew my mind when they told me they had a cafeteria with decent food. $3 would be me a full meal.

If I ever worked in a place that offered that I'd never bring a lunch again.

That's actually about the only thing I miss about my Helpdesk job for a regional medical network. I loved going across the street to the hospital and hitting the basement cafeteria - Wednesdays were always fried chicken, they made kick-rear end grilled cheese sandwiches, the cheeseburgers were excellent, the salads amazingly delicious, and it was dirt cheap. And best of all I just had to swipe my employee badge to pay for it. On the holidays all employee meals were free, and they loaded on the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green bean casserole.

The food was one of the few things about that place that didn't make me want to walk out into the middle of Main Street and kiss a bus.

If I could just change the cafeteria at the hospital for the one here at the base then my job would be drat near perfect.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: Am I the only one that was told never to discuss politics or religion at work? I'm bringing in headphones tomorrow, I've heard enough about the riots and Obama.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've found that the more abhorrent your views, the less likely you are to realize that not everybody shares them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off: Am I the only one that was told never to discuss politics or religion at work? I'm bringing in headphones tomorrow, I've heard enough about the riots and Obama.

I learned that one real early, and I'll add the caveat that you also don't discuss them at home either. When I was a young buck of 16 or so my dad and I drat near came to blows* when I commented that I didn't have a problem with true communism. He grabbed me by the throat and threatened to rip an arm off and beat me to death with it "cause I didn't do 2 tours in 'Nam so my son could turn into a loving commie."

I learned then that people aren't as aware of nuance as I was even at that age, since I was talking about communism as it was laid out by Marx, not that bastardized poo poo Lenin and Trotsky and the others finally got going in the Soviet Union. Now I just use nuance if I want to piss people off and confuse the hell out of them. What really gets people riled up, however, is when I talk about politics like I was some social scientist discussing primitive tribal beliefs and dismissing their emotional arguments as "irrelevant to the discussion." Then they leave me alone and go annoy someone else with their political views.

* (Not really - he would have wiped the floor with me).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah because food at the grocery store costs nothing. It's honesty hard to beat a $4 full meal even if you cook it yourself.

I never said that I was bringing my lunch.

quote:

One of the things I love love love about my new job is that there's no expectation to sit at your desk and eat. My last couple jobs were of the mindset to eat at your desk while you keep working. This job the guys take hour lunch, go for a walk around the city, grab a coffee, come back to work. It's wonderful.

Yeah, it's a pretty big red flag if you can't take time away from your desk to eat and take a break.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 29, 2015

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't speak about politics to anybody (or think about politics at all) and my life is way better for it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Moey posted:

We are running MXLogic here as well, no issues. Yet.....

Well it turns out that it takes 16 hours for mcafee to tell you that they have elevated your domain to a high spam score even at a priority 2. :cripes: Any vendor we work with or customer we service with mcafee are having emails from us blocked because we are blacklisted.

Our company hosts 10 different domain websites. The main company website, which shares the same domain name as our email, is the only IT related resource that isn't administered by IT. A design dept controls it and doesn't appear to monitor it. It has been hacked and is being used as a relay for a virus website.

I asked for admin access to the hosting console for the website to remove the compromised Apache config. After fixing the relay to the virus website, I have removed all of the design's access to the admin console. I have gotten no fewer than 5 angry emails asking me to restore access. My only reply was to say that the companies email has priority over creative control of a website and that I won't grant access until an exec signs off on it. I somehow doubt an exec is going to put their emails at risk over a website.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm glad you guys wrestled control back from them. I would of lost my goddamn mind if I'm the administrator and couldn't fix the email that could've been prevented by virtue of a IT management workflow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sickening posted:

I somehow doubt an exec is going to put some weird computer stuff at risk over our design team's ability to lead our creative figure.

Fixed.

nothingtrend
Oct 26, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You know what pisses me off daily? There's nowhere near my office that's good to go to for lunch.

This...

My options are lovely franchise takeout or lovely local takeout. I'd kill for a legit deli.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's time for our bi-weekly game of office musical chairs again!

:suicide:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

It's time for our bi-weekly game of office musical chairs again!

:suicide:

Had sudden flashbacks and thought this was a Movey post at first.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I nominate myself as new moey.

Law firm, this year, moved 47 staff in 90 person office.

Then moved 24 staff in a smaller, 50 person office.

Then moved the smaller office again to accommodate new staff coming in that had to sit next to the old staff.

We also have to move thier paper files, furniture, filing cabinets and of course any personal poo poo they have in thier office.

This happens at scale every 6-9 months. Smaller moved happen ad hoc when teams change and they absolutely have to sit within earshot of each other.

Because we have no space, to move 1 staff member requires repositioning an entire team.

In one partners office I found a box of tax returns from 1970-1980. Said partner had me move them to the new office. I've moved them 5-6 times since I've worked here.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I bring lunch to work every single day. It's far easier for me to control my calorie intake by (politely) refusing anything people bring into the office and only eat what I bring.

Anyways, not pissing me off today

Mail from a user posted:

Du er da en helt utrolig behagelig IT-medarbejder at få besøg af. Tak for det!

"You're an incredibly nice IT-person to be visited by. Thank you for that!". It reads better in Danish, but you get the meaning. I was rummaging around on a remote school setting them up with cabled network access for their exams, and stopped by the principal's office for a chat. She had a bunch of questions and I wound up taking two cases and a case elevation home, but it's well worth the time when you leave them with a good impression rather than "those bastards in City Hall never thinks of us out here.".

We're busy fighting off a few virus attacks on most of the public sector, and schools are getting nervous about the exams next week, but I'm all smiles and fuzzy feelings now. :3:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

nothingtrend posted:

This...

My options are lovely franchise takeout or lovely local takeout. I'd kill for a legit deli.

This, the only place with descent food is a pizzeria.. I eat a lot of pizza. :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

I bring lunch to work every single day. It's far easier for me to control my calorie intake by (politely) refusing anything people bring into the office and only eat what I bring.

I allow myself 2 cheat days (non-home food prepared days) during the week: Friday and one day on the weekend. Otherwise I'm always making my own food at home. Eating out gets expensive after a while.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
There's no expectation here to eat at one's desk and be available but I usually do eat at my desk. However, I'm never available during that time because I'm watching something on the Internet while I'm eating.

unclenutzzy posted:

I don't speak about politics to anybody (or think about politics at all) and my life is way better for it
I normally don't but it comes up with the boss a lot because she has to spend part of her time dealing with state government. Luckily, we tend to bitch about the same people.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My boss (the one from that story that was fired) was a HUGE tea party republican. One time I was just playing with a pocket knife I carry around, and he wheeled his chair over to give me an ear full about how Obama wants to put me in prison for having that, and my freedoms are being eroded blah blah. He talked for about fifteen minutes. Eventually he just started wheeling over to my cubicle two or three times a day to just rant about about the socialization of America. I would sort of egg him on to see how crazy he'd get, so I suppose it was my fault since he thought I was a listening ear.

Or business was tangentially related to the news, so we had a bunch of TVs watching all the news channels. When the verdict in the Treyvon Martin case came out, he was talking about they were all animals, and that this is what Obama has caused, taking away all our freedoms. Seriously racist stuff. I made a comment that if riots broke out, I was just going to go to Best Buy and grab a new Macbook. He flipped out, gave me a formal warning and wrote me up for my "racist comment".

I'm still confused about that one.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Things pissing me off lately:

I'm in a group where we're split by OS for support - I'm in Linux, and we also have VMWare as well as Windows. It keeps happening, but I'm getting sick of when people call in saying they have Linux and the host OS is actually ESXi.

The ticket I just had the issue was hardware but all he knew was that there was an issue and that is ran "some form of Linux". Now that we need to go through the OS 6 days later, I find out from someone else at the customer's company it is actually ESXi. Yeah, let me get you over to someone that can help with that.

Of course: when someone KNOWS the whole time the host is ESXi but they're tryign to get you to help on the Guest because obviously that's what needs help.
I'm helping you with Linux which you claim that this is the host OS, and I get storage support on, and the several hours of troubleshooting why multipathing isn't working: we found out that the host OS is actually ESXi and one of the two vNIC's you're trying to use for it isn't associated with a physical NIC so of course it won't work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The owners here email their Republican agenda to everyone@....

They bring their politicians in for photo ops and stuff with the company, put up big signs, email everyone before elections to let them know who to vote for, and fwd: fwd: fwd: obama is a muslim emails to each other all day

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At my first job, someone was saying how if black people could call white people cracker, white people should be able to use the n word. I disagreed, and the next day I got pulled into the manager's office with my supervisor and her supervisor. Someone had told them that I said I was better than everyone else because I was white. My supervisor's supervisor was black.

I explained that what I had actually said was that being a straight white man in America gave me every advantage in the world, through no merit or effort of my own. I was told I shouldn't get involved with conversations like that, but at least I defused a situation that probably would have ended up with me getting written up by HR.

I should have told them how the conversation started, but I didn't have any proof it was the woman who wanted to say the n word who reported me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Five seconds ago me and a coworker were discussing if we believe in aliens, and I made the comment that if you believe in God and angels you are admitting you believe in extraterrestrial life. We were having an interesting rational and reasonable conversation about that, when another coworker just got in the middle and said "this is not office appropriate, so stop."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

"this is not office appropriate, so stop."

He's not wrong. :shrug: Religion, politics and bathroom habits are all basically the same thing, and none of them need to be discussed in random company.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

He's not wrong. :shrug: Religion, politics and bathroom habits are all basically the same thing, and none of them need to be discussed in random company.
On the other hand, if you're not involved in the conversation to begin with, you need to mind your own loving business.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That depends on your company's culture.

But even regardless of that, trying to enforce it is going too far. Nod and put on headphones or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

vibur posted:

On the other hand, if you're not involved in the conversation to begin with, you need to mind your own loving business.

Or people could just not talk about sensitive topics while they're all stuck in proximity with others?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
poo poo pissing me off:

User doesn't know how to copy and paste and asks me to do it for them.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
poo poo pissing me off: Being a part time tier 1 helpdesk worker.

poo poo really pissing me off: Answering phone calls looking for a part time tier 1 health desk worker.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The conversation wasn't like "hey let me read the bible to you" we were discussing how you'd define life on another planet. Could we agree on a definition of "life" does it have to just be sentient? Could there be life out there that we just can't possible relate to since it's so far out of our understanding?

vibur posted:

Yeah, this.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sickening posted:

Well it turns out that it takes 16 hours for mcafee to tell you that they have elevated your domain to a high spam score even at a priority 2. :cripes:

It's taken Cerner 3 days to call me on my Sev.3 ticket. Of course, they call when I'm in the shower. I called back and left a message to call me back and have yet to hear anything. Doctors aren't too happy that this issue hasn't yet been resolved.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
When you throw a mac at a wall at full force things like this can happen. I got asked if anything could be retrieved. lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:eyepop: holy poo poo, do you work for MLB or something

anyway I'm making the change to the IT field so I expect to have stories for you soon

eonwe fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 29, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

redeyes posted:

When you throw a mac at a wall at full force things like this can happen. I got asked if anything could be retrieved. lol

"Theoretically, with at least a few million dollars and a lot of time.... maybe."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Even then I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Hell when I'm done with one of my own HDs, I open it up, remove a platter and crumple it, and that is it for that data, I defy you to recover it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sure you can get some data

so this piece had some 1s and 0s, and so did this one

does that help :downs:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
In theory you might be able to get some data back with extensive electron microscope work, but it'd be hardly anything and massively expensive. If you even got anything workable, since platters are so much more data dense now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: Cisco says, "gently caress TLS, we're never going to support it in Cisco Jabber." What the gently caress? It's TLS for goodness sake. I would understand if they said, "We're not supporting SSL 2.0" or some other older security protocol, but TLS?

They must think that the entire world is going to migrate to their walled garden when they roll their own proprietary security protocol for their instant messaging app.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A lot of banks are demanding upgrades to TLS 1.2 from vendors, historical web services from Reuters are TLS 1.0, I don't even know why they bother with HTTPS at all for a start. The product manager's response is along the lines of stability is more important than security, we're not going to change anything. :lol:

Phoronix.com has hilarious ideas about HTTPS, http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HTTPS-For-Phoronix-Site , I'm sure others are excitedly taking notes.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Or people could just not talk about sensitive topics while they're all stuck in proximity with others?

You heard folks: no discussion of anything remotely controversial outside of your own home in case someone gets offended. We should probably think of the children as well.