Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

MrBigglesworth posted:

I am thinking my next course of study should be CCNA Data Center, then CCNP R&S, any opinions?

Nexus (Ciscos data center switches) are garbage in comparison to their competitors. If you're working for Cisco or a vendor who only uses Cisco brand gear it's fine, but you may be better served to pick a vendor neutral cert or pick up CCNA data center and whatever equivalent Arista or another vendor has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vadun posted:

Nexus (Ciscos data center switches) are garbage in comparison to their competitors. If you're working for Cisco or a vendor who only uses Cisco brand gear it's fine, but you may be better served to pick a vendor neutral cert or pick up CCNA data center and whatever equivalent Arista or another vendor has

What a weird statement to make without following up in any way on why you think this.

Anyway, there are no vendor neutral networking certs that are worth a poo poo beyond network+, which is very basic, and getting a non-vendor neutral cert from a vendor that has a fraction of the market share that Cisco does doesn't make a lot of sense either. The CCNA is a fine general purpose networking cert. The CCNA DC networking test is also fine for general purpose stuff and not really stuffed with a lot of Cisco-ese. The second CCNA DC test that covers UCS and the Cisco product portfolio is much less generally useful though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CCDA is a good one if you want an overview of the actual equipment you might be seeing in a Cisco-network office. (It's very vendor-specific, going down to actual model numbers/features and all that)

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez
So... going for my first cert. I see many going for the various MS Server 2012 ones as a starter, but I'm the only guy on my team who hasn't had the training courses and there's a lot of material to cover... even with CBT videos it feels like a bit too much right now.

As I'm doing Citrix administration day to day, I'm pretty confident that I can aim for completing the 1Y0-200 exam in a couple months time. I've not seen a lot of mention in this thread but just wondering if anyone's got some experience - difficulty, gotchas, good revision/practice material? Am I being unrealistic?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

alejandro posted:

So... going for my first cert. I see many going for the various MS Server 2012 ones as a starter

MCSA 2012 is pretty hard unless you plan on finding a dump and memorizing all the answers.

I'd recommend Security+ as a first cert. It's easy, not much lab work, vendor neutral and you probably know 70-90% of it already.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

alejandro posted:

So... going for my first cert. I see many going for the various MS Server 2012 ones as a starter, but I'm the only guy on my team who hasn't had the training courses and there's a lot of material to cover... even with CBT videos it feels like a bit too much right now.

As I'm doing Citrix administration day to day, I'm pretty confident that I can aim for completing the 1Y0-200 exam in a couple months time. I've not seen a lot of mention in this thread but just wondering if anyone's got some experience - difficulty, gotchas, good revision/practice material? Am I being unrealistic?
They've since revamped the exams but I did the Citrix CCA for XenApp 6.5 a few years back and it wasn't too terrible. There was a ton on load balancing and load evaluator policies. Study that. Watch PluralSight or CBT Nuggets. Most of the rest of the topics were in the exam prep and known from day-to-day administration of a fairly large multi-farm environment.

e: I haven't really touched Citrix since my last job so fairly worthless cert for me at least. Plenty of LinkedIn recruiters seem to ask about it though.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 28, 2015

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Alain Post posted:

CCDA is a good one if you want an overview of the actual equipment you might be seeing in a Cisco-network office. (It's very vendor-specific, going down to actual model numbers/features and all that)

That's interesting. I work in a Cisco shop so past CCNA for the basics getting some specific model info may be helpful.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

NippleFloss posted:

What a weird statement to make without following up in any way on why you think this.

Anyway, there are no vendor neutral networking certs that are worth a poo poo beyond network+, which is very basic, and getting a non-vendor neutral cert from a vendor that has a fraction of the market share that Cisco does doesn't make a lot of sense either. The CCNA is a fine general purpose networking cert. The CCNA DC networking test is also fine for general purpose stuff and not really stuffed with a lot of Cisco-ese. The second CCNA DC test that covers UCS and the Cisco product portfolio is much less generally useful though.

I guess if you're looking at the 5548UP with an l3 daughter card it's a pretty big steaming pile compared to an Arista or Juniper box.

The 5600 series is pretty solid and supports unified port/FCoE though and FEX is pretty awesome in a data center. I'm really not sure exactly what else is lovely between a Nexus and competitors though except maybe cost?

That said, Cisco gets pretty aggressive on the 9k series (but no FC forwarding.)

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
I am now a+ certified! The 802 felt harder but I ended up doing better on it. I had put off doing my test for a few years because a) $400 is a lot of money when you live paycheck to paycheck and b) the nearest testing center is 300 miles away round trip. But I was offered a position that pays more than what me and my wife are making currently combined if I get the cert (plus a security clearance). I think next I'll look towards the security and network+.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Deep Winter posted:

I am now a+ certified! The 802 felt harder but I ended up doing better on it. I had put off doing my test for a few years because a) $400 is a lot of money when you live paycheck to paycheck and b) the nearest testing center is 300 miles away round trip. But I was offered a position that pays more than what me and my wife are making currently combined if I get the cert (plus a security clearance). I think next I'll look towards the security and network+.

Nicely done, and congrats on the job. I honestly felt like Network+ was easier than A+, because it contained a bit more practical knowledge and less rote memorization about plugs that haven't been seen for 5+ years. Good luck!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The security and network are both easier mostly because the labs are way easier

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Concerning WGU,

Let me get this straight: I pass the course, and I automatically get the cert?

Anyone mind tl;dr'ing this for me?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Deep Winter posted:

300 miles? Are you in Antarctica?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Race Realists posted:

Concerning WGU,

Let me get this straight: I pass the course, and I automatically get the cert?

Anyone mind tl;dr'ing this for me?

So basically you'll be taking classes. The "final exam" for a course is that you go to a testing center and take the exam. All books and test vouchers are included in tuition.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So for my Intro to Networking course I got my CCENT. My intro 2 course I got my CCNA

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
holy poo poo, really, REALLY wish Id heard of this before enrolling at Georgia State

Oh well.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

300 miles? Are you in Antarctica?

Worse, northern bumfuck Louisiana :(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Deep Winter posted:

Congrats. Out of curiosity which text book/resources did you use? I plan to take it soon jic I don't return to college.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Alder posted:

Congrats. Out of curiosity which text book/resources did you use? I plan to take it soon jic I don't return to college.

Michael Meyers' "all in one" exam guide, the professor messer videos on YouTube, like 4 apps on my phone with practice exams, quizlets flash cards.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
Question.

Having no professional experience in the IT field and no degree, is it still possible to land a ENTRY job with a A+ cert only? I can't hold off any longer on getting a career rolling but I'm confused on where to get my foot in the door and get some work experience.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Eonwe posted:

So basically you'll be taking classes. The "final exam" for a course is that you go to a testing center and take the exam. All books and test vouchers are included in tuition.

The more I read about WGU the more I like it. Does anyone here have any experience with the MS/MBA in IT Management programs? I've already got a bachelor's and two (soon to be three) associate's degrees in IT-related fields, so I'm thinking that WGU's bachelor programs would be mostly a waste of money in my case.

oaok posted:

Question.

Having no professional experience in the IT field and no degree, is it still possible to land a ENTRY job with a A+ cert only? I can't hold off any longer on getting a career rolling but I'm confused on where to get my foot in the door and get some work experience.

I can only speak from personal experience but I hire people with no professional IT experience or degree, but I do that hiring via the local community college's job board and really only consider such candidates if they're currently enrolled in an IT program. Also continued employment is conditional upon graduating at some point.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 29, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

oaok posted:

Question.

Generally, yes. Mention in any cover letters personal interest/experience if you have no professional experience, but you should be able to get a tier-1 help desk position unless your job market sucks. Your typical customer service positions are also good experience for something like this, as the technical requirements aren't steep.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vadun posted:

I love my nexus switches, though I use them exclusively for layer 2, so that might be part of my lack of hate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oaok posted:

Question.

I don't know where you live, but in Dallas if you mention you have an A+ cert you can get a call for a helpdesk position

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

MCSA 2012 is pretty hard
You got that right.

dsadd.exe
new-adcomputer
djoin.exe
add-computer

Ugh.

Assuming i ever pass MSCA - I'm lacking in network creds. Is Network+ too entry level? Should I go for the CCENT instead? I dont want to be a 'network guy' but obviously I want to let people know I know how networks run.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Piggybacking off last reply.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

MCSA 2012 is pretty hard
Ugh, is it really? I'm vaguely studying for it, aware that I need to start actually studying for it. I kinda felt like I was in trouble when the best reference for the test is an 8,709 page Technet dump. I miss the days when you'd just buy the book set, read it over the course of a month, pass, and repeat.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ugh, is it really? I'm vaguely studying for it, aware that I need to start actually studying for it. I kinda felt like I was in trouble when the best reference for the test is an 8,709 page Technet dump. I miss the days when you'd just buy the book set, read it over the course of a month, pass, and repeat.

Yeah - I'm working on my VCP5, and I visited some other tech forum about virtualization and asked "How the gently caress do people actually pass this exam?" because I was so frustrated with the sheer information overload. Scott Lowe, the guy who wrote 'Mastering vSphere' replied in the thread that he read all the VMware KBs and followed the blueprint. So the other day I downloaded all the KBs from the exam blueprint - 40 documents, with a total over 3,500 pages. I could read all three of the exam study guides and the 'Mastering vSphere' book and not hit 3,000 pages. So yeah, gently caress that idea.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Do what I did: book the exam for two weeks after having a baby. Nothing helps you internalise FSMO roles like no sleep and being covered in puke.

You really gotta work with the poo poo. I asked for advice earlier in the thread and was told to "lab it out". That is good advice.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

oaok posted:

Question.

I don't have a degree (actually, I don't even have a highschool diploma) and I went from ~7 years working as a cook to Jr Sysadmin.

I finished up my A+ and CCNA and started aggressively applying pretty much anywhere in the country near a major metro area, probably applied to about 100ish jobs over a 2 month period, had about 8 or 9 phone interviews, eventually interviewed at a really local place who happened to be looking for a Jr and they liked me enough to bring me on.

Just get ready to answer the same questions (What made you decide to change industries?) over and over and over again, and especially for Jr jobs I've found that it's infinitely better to immediately admit when you don't know something instead of trying to bullshit it out. I'd also really recommend going for at least the CCENT after the A+ because it's really easy and looks much better - the A+ honestly is a pretty worthless cert IMO and I've used about 3% of anything I learned in it while actually working. It's more of a formality than anything.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

MCSA 2008 was hard. I understand the concepts, but powershell can suck a bag of rancid dicks. I am so glad my job is so Cisco heavy that I have no time for any MS stuff as we have our own server team to handle that stuff. Im 100% network!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Powershell owns and I highly recommend people going through "Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches" before even screwing around with the MCSA tracks. It's a base level of knowledge that is only going to get more important in later Windows server revisions.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Failed the 410 again. The tests are ridiculous.

about 30% of it was Hyper-V questions, and all the problem areas that it told me to study last time didn't even show up. Not a single File Permission question to be found where the last exam was inundated with them.

I can't afford to take the test again currently and honestly I don't know if I want to. I don't have the resources to effectively study for the thing and work isn't paying for any of this.

Maybe I'll try to find another cert I can hammer out in the meantime so I can land into a better company and take it from there.

Has anyone here passed the 74-410 2012 R2 yet? And if so, are you administering the thing Daily as part of your job?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 29, 2015

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ozu posted:

Powershell owns and I highly recommend people going through "Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches" before even screwing around with the MCSA tracks. It's a base level of knowledge that is only going to get more important in later Windows server revisions.

Im not saying it isnt powerful, Im saying it sucks a bag of dicks.

My books, published by Microsoft, where CHOCKED full of errors. So in the lab scenario where you need to type in 4 goddamn lines of text and it spit out an error because it did not indicate you had a space here, or uppercase there, made me furious with the amount of time it set back trying to figure out where the gently caress up was.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Powershell 3 in a Month of Lunches is the bomb. I'm an Oracle on Linux guy and I still love it.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 18, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm debating taking Security+ as a morale booster after another failed 410.

The book in the OP still relevant? And is there a cheap place in Canada where I can get an Exam voucher for it, or do I have to spend the $500 after US exchange.

Also I see that the Security+ includes an option for the SY0-301 and SY0-401. I would imagine it would make sense to take the 401 for maximum coverage?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

Failed the 410 again. The tests are ridiculous.

about 30% of it was Hyper-V questions, and all the problem areas that it told me to study last time didn't even show up. Not a single File Permission question to be found where the last exam was inundated with them.

I can't afford to take the test again currently and honestly I don't know if I want to. I don't have the resources to effectively study for the thing and work isn't paying for any of this.

Maybe I'll try to find another cert I can hammer out in the meantime so I can land into a better company and take it from there.

Has anyone here passed the 74-410 2012 R2 yet? And if so, are you administering the thing Daily as part of your job?

I passed the 410 a few months ago. I've been doing some form of MS server management for about 5 years now. I'd say about 50% of the questions and study material was applicable to my day to day job. The biggest problem with studying for the 410 is that it covers such a wide amount of server stuff at a high level, so you can study your rear end off on your weakest subject and never end up getting asked about it. When I took mine it was all Hyper-V and file sharing and only 1 Group Policy question which is where I'm my strongest.

My one testing horror story was back when I took my XP certification for the first time and had 10 questions in a row about fax settings followed by 3 questions about setting up wireless IR printers. I failed that one pretty drat hard.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

I passed the 410 a few months ago. I've been doing some form of MS server management for about 5 years now. I'd say about 50% of the questions and study material was applicable to my day to day job. The biggest problem with studying for the 410 is that it covers such a wide amount of server stuff at a high level, so you can study your rear end off on your weakest subject and never end up getting asked about it. When I took mine it was all Hyper-V and file sharing and only 1 Group Policy question which is where I'm my strongest.

My one testing horror story was back when I took my XP certification for the first time and had 10 questions in a row about fax settings followed by 3 questions about setting up wireless IR printers. I failed that one pretty drat hard.

I ended up passing the 409 last year and those questions were easier than the Hyper-V questions on the 410. Scenario questions I do fairly well with. The "How do you create a NIC Team in powershell" and they list 4 commands with slight variances in them that off hand I can't point out but given 5 seconds in powershell I could figure it out.

It reminds me of those teachers that had me do programming exams on paper and wanted us to write out code by hand. What's the point of doing that? I feel that the exams would be much more forgiving if you had access to a powershell window.

Sidenote: http://www.amazon.ca/CompTIA-Security-SY0-401-Guide-Deluxe/dp/0789753332/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430328547&sr=8-2&keywords=sy0-401

Would this be the recommended book for a SY0-401 prep?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

I'm debating taking Security+ as a morale booster after another failed 410.

The book in the OP still relevant?
Cutting questions I can't answer; but as someone currently using book in question, it's good. A free resources that's good is also Professor Messer's Security+ videos. I'm kinda sad this is the last exam I'll take where I'll be able to use his stuff. :(

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Cutting questions I can't answer; but as someone currently using book in question, it's good. A free resources that's good is also Professor Messer's Security+ videos. I'm kinda sad this is the last exam I'll take where I'll be able to use his stuff. :(

Thanks, book marked it and I'll start up tomorrow.

If anyone else can weigh in on http://www.amazon.ca/CompTIA-Security-SY0-401-Guide-Deluxe/dp/0789753332/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430328547&sr=8-2&keywords=sy0-401

That'd be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm waiting on a response to my resume for entry to WGU, and I'm torn between just going and taking the A+ test and being sure of entry, and my hatred of the idea of even studying the number of pins on a stupid cable that is below my expertise to work on.

I guess I might as well take it, just to get out of taking the damned class, but man that test seems dumb.

ed: I can't believe I am memorizing IRQ bullshit right now

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 29, 2015