Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Play hard, keep practicing, play with them next season!

I skated in my G3's tonight. To whom it may concern; If your skates don't fit go get some that do. I have no residual pain, I feel like I could go skate another game. I had absolutely no wobble coasting at top speed. I never felt I had to re-tie my laces, previously I would warm up and then adjust them. My blades felt under me the whole time.

Good poo poo Graf, A+ will buy again (hopefully not for several years.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

6 games played this weekend (3 yesterday), and 1 league game to go tonight. I am exhausted.

Tournament was a blast. This is our 4th year playing CAHA state championships in SJ. We basically get blown out every game and only got our first regulation win last year, our third year of playing it.

Anyway, I have no idea how we did it, but we won all 3 of our round-robin games. We made the playoffs for the first time ever. On Sunday, we won in the semi-finals, then in natural tournament fashion, ran into a sandbagging team and got shellacked 7-2 in the championship.

After spending the weekend competing against Silver/Gold skaters, we had to race home to play in our Bronze league game. It was my third game of the day and I went apeshit and got a hatty against the undefeated team, who are no longer undefeated.

Tournaments own. 7 games in 1 weekend owns. Perpetually wet gear owns. My car smells horrible.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I tried to get out to pickup this weekend but it was already full an hour before start. :cry:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nitramster posted:

Play hard, keep practicing, play with them next season!

I skated in my G3's tonight. To whom it may concern; If your skates don't fit go get some that do. I have no residual pain, I feel like I could go skate another game. I had absolutely no wobble coasting at top speed. I never felt I had to re-tie my laces, previously I would warm up and then adjust them. My blades felt under me the whole time.

Good poo poo Graf, A+ will buy again (hopefully not for several years.)

The feeling that my blades aren't quite under me and the feeling of having to re-tie after warming up is familiar to me... but only on my left skate. My right foot is slightly bigger than my left and usually feels fine. Should I double up socks on my left or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

The feeling that my blades aren't quite under me and the feeling of having to re-tie after warming up is familiar to me... but only on my left skate. My right foot is slightly bigger than my left and usually feels fine. Should I double up socks on my left or something?

You could give wax laces a try, their big selling point is that once you set them they aren't going to move. I wore them once and hated it but other people swear by them.

There's no harm in trying double socks but that's going to increase the tightness everywhere, the advantage to laces is that you can pick and choose where to pull tight.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

What's the deal for being a sub for a league? I've posted in here a couple of times about myself and 2 friends getting ready to join our first league. We're more than ready, we just haven't found a good fit for us in terms of time/location/etc.

One of the only rookie leagues that is open for registration right now is set to play on Saturdays, and I don't think any of us want to go with that since I know right off the bat I'll miss a bunch of games from not being around on weekends. It just doesn't make sense to drop $500 on a league that I'll miss half of so I don't know if being on-call as a sub for a few games is an option? If not then I'll have another few months of drop-in before I can try again with a Fall/Winter league.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
In my league, subs pay $15 per game to play and have to be notified by that teams captain when they're needed. Each league is different as some take subs more seriously than others as to try to prevent ringers from being used.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I feel like trying to play just as a sub without ever being on a team isn't going to work out for you, you need the relationships with the captains so they think of calling you when they need someone.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, I asked to be placed on a sub list when I was first starting and never got a call. The captains that I've had mostly call people they already know for subs.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah totally, I was mainly just wondering if it's even an option in some places. Seems like it's more feasible after going through a few seasons and knowing captains but getting put on an email list for the potential of real games is better than nothing. Pickup games are fun but it's so half-assed that I'd like to get even a tiny bit of experience in "real" games.

This is for a rookie/LTP type leagues so I can't imagine they're too serious or worried about ringers I am not one. I'd mainly be interested in stepping in for situations where a team knows they'll only have 3 defensemen or whatever but I suppose you're right in that I'd never actually get the call. I'll see if I can put my info out anyway since it shouldn't hurt to try.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Teeter posted:

Yeah totally, I was mainly just wondering if it's even an option in some places. Seems like it's more feasible after going through a few seasons and knowing captains but getting put on an email list for the potential of real games is better than nothing. Pickup games are fun but it's so half-assed that I'd like to get even a tiny bit of experience in "real" games.

This is for a rookie/LTP type leagues so I can't imagine they're too serious or worried about ringers I am not one. I'd mainly be interested in stepping in for situations where a team knows they'll only have 3 defensemen or whatever but I suppose you're right in that I'd never actually get the call. I'll see if I can put my info out anyway since it shouldn't hurt to try.

If you do go to pickups and stick-and-puck hours or even public skate at or near that rink, it's worthwhile to talk to the other guys. I've gotten a couple of invites that way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thats how I've gotten onto pretty much every team I've ever played on. Play pickup with guys, get chatty (but not obnoxiously goony) and eventually you see the same people week after week. Become friends, build a social network around your sport and start getting onto teams.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pinky Artichoke posted:

If you do go to pickups and stick-and-puck hours or even public skate at or near that rink, it's worthwhile to talk to the other guys. I've gotten a couple of invites that way.

That's how I got on my team. Was at pickup guy asked if some of us wanted to play said sure. He said alright game is two days later. I've met a bunch of great guys by that one happenstance of turning up to pickup.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

prom candy posted:

I guess a pro shop can stuff some foam up into the toe to help fill it out. You can also get different soles. You can also get skates that fit the smaller foot and have them stretched for the larger.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Do not buy small skates to get them stretched. Stretching boots is absolutely the last option, you should buy skates that are the correct size.

Add insoles, wear another pair of socks, whatever. But get skates that fit. A big reason why people buy custom skates is because they have different sized feet (search eBay and you'll see). Do you have different sized feet?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

This is great advice.

I hate networking in any sort of professional capacity but I love talking about hockey with others. Make as many friends as possible and don't be afraid to ask if they've got room.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress it. Going for the hat trick.

Look at what just showed up in the mail. Now all I need is the (ugly as sin) blended tan/black pair and I will have the complete set.

The black ones are clearly newer given the changes in the glove but they're still goat leather :hellyeah:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Do not buy small skates to get them stretched. Stretching boots is absolutely the last option, you should buy skates that are the correct size.

Add insoles, wear another pair of socks, whatever. But get skates that fit. A big reason why people buy custom skates is because they have different sized feet (search eBay and you'll see). Do you have different sized feet?

My right foot is larger than my left but not dramatically so. My right skate feels like it fits pretty great, my left feels a bit loose in comparison. I'll try a second sock next time I'm out, I definitely can't justify custom skates at this point.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
After a lovely start this season my team finally got a win. We went down early 2-1 in the first. We get out in the third and tie it up. With about five minutes left get a goal to get the lead. After that things start getting chippy.

With a minute left and their goalie pulled, they were pressing hard on our net. Whistle blows. Two guys collided in front of the net by way of being bad skaters. One cross checks and the other retaliated with one back. Nothing much to worry about. If anything it was about to be called mutual roughing penalties.

Cue a guy on their team skating full speed from across the rink into the corner and laying out our guy from behind at full speed. Luckily he was okay but everyone on the bench was furious.

Ref gives a misconduct to each team despite third man in and a brutal loving cheap hit from behind. No further penalties.

It's on video so we'll see when it gets posted. I'm sure we'll be sending the clip to the league. This poo poo was ridiculous.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Silver team just played tonight and put up a 8-0 win. Guess we were still in tournament mode. Love it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hey so like, what exactly should I be looking for at home depot in regards to a DIY stick handling pad? I definitely need to work on hands. :( But, yeah, I went into Home Depot last night and the best I found was an 8x4" sheet of what looked to be like a slightly thicker version of the plastic that you put into florescent kitchen light fixtures (textured on one side, smooth as heck on the other). But it was like almost $40 and wouldn't roll up enough at all to fit into my car.

I've seen google results of people finding the plastic for like ~$15 or so. Maybe my home depot is just trying to rip off the poors around here. :shrug:

edit: Is this the stuff? http://www.homedepot.com/p/PLASTEX-1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 28, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

It's on video so we'll see when it gets posted. I'm sure we'll be sending the clip to the league. This poo poo was ridiculous.

Post what the league does. It sounds like from your description that third man in is not applicable as the initial penalty wouldn't be considered an altercation in the first place.

So it was 10 min misconducts on both sides, I guess for the cross check / retaliation and then 2 min for the follow up?

I mean the dude deserves some sort of penalty for what he did, but doesn't sound close to being third man in. And assigning that stuff after the fact is pretty unlikely.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Hey so like, what exactly should I be looking for at home depot in regards to a DIY stick handling pad? I definitely need to work on hands. :( But, yeah, I went into Home Depot last night and the best I found was an 8x4" sheet of what looked to be like a slightly thicker version of the plastic that you put into florescent kitchen light fixtures (textured on one side, smooth as heck on the other). But it was like almost $40 and wouldn't roll up enough at all to fit into my car.

I've seen google results of people finding the plastic for like ~$15 or so. Maybe my home depot is just trying to rip off the poors around here. :shrug:

edit: Is this the stuff? http://www.homedepot.com/p/PLASTEX-1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

I think that there are two different materials people go with. One is HDPE, which I believe is more of a hard plastic material. I am not as familiar with this, though I did use a pad kinda like this at a friend's house and I believe it was HDPE. The other is this whiteboard stuff, which is a fibreboard that has some sort of acrylic coating. Just seems like a giant flimsy whiteboard, but it's held up pretty well in my backyard. The two materials seem similar enough in how the pucks react, it's just a tradeoff of size/price/durability.

e: if you're looking to fit something in a car then you may need to get HDPE. I'm not positive but I think if it's thin enough then HDPE will roll, though the whiteboard is sold in large rigid 4'x8' sheets. You'd have to see if they'll cut it down in the store. My Home Depot wouldn't do it, but some reviews online have seen better success.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 28, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Teeter posted:

I think that there are two different materials people go with. One is HDPE, which I believe is more of a hard plastic material. I am not as familiar with this, though I did use a pad kinda like this at a friend's house and I believe it was HDPE. The other is this whiteboard stuff, which is a fibreboard that has some sort of acrylic coating. Just seems like a giant flimsy whiteboard, but it's held up pretty well in my backyard. The two materials seem similar enough in how the pucks react, it's just a tradeoff of size/price/durability.

e: if you're looking to fit something in a car then you may need to get HDPE. I'm not positive but I think if it's thin enough then HDPE will roll, though the whiteboard is sold in large rigid 4'x8' sheets. You'd have to see if they'll cut it down in the store. My Home Depot wouldn't do it, but some reviews online have seen better success.

:hfive: Thanks for the info - totally forgot about the whiteboard stuff. Hmmmmm, now to figure out how to stuff it in my 4-door car and get it home... It's times like this I wish I had a roof rack. You think that whiteboard material can be cut and rejoined back together without a noticeable seam?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

:hfive: Thanks for the info - totally forgot about the whiteboard stuff. Hmmmmm, now to figure out how to stuff it in my 4-door car and get it home... It's times like this I wish I had a roof rack. You think that whiteboard material can be cut and rejoined back together without a noticeable seam?

Without additional lubricant, no. I tried to turn my whiteboard into a sectioned 1'x1' bundle, but the board itself warps and the cuts exacerbate that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bootcha posted:

Without additional lubricant, no. I tried to turn my whiteboard into a sectioned 1'x1' bundle, but the board itself warps and the cuts exacerbate that.

drat - had a feeling that stuff might delaminate/swell around the edges or cuts.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

sellouts posted:

gently caress it. Going for the hat trick.

Look at what just showed up in the mail. Now all I need is the (ugly as sin) blended tan/black pair and I will have the complete set.

The black ones are clearly newer given the changes in the glove but they're still goat leather :hellyeah:

Do you use these regularly? Pros/cons? I keep wanting to get a pair but I'm constantly on the fence about it.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

shyduck posted:

Do you use these regularly? Pros/cons? I keep wanting to get a pair but I'm constantly on the fence about it.

Can someone explain these gloves? What's special about them? Goat leather?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

sellouts posted:

Post what the league does. It sounds like from your description that third man in is not applicable as the initial penalty wouldn't be considered an altercation in the first place.

So it was 10 min misconducts on both sides, I guess for the cross check / retaliation and then 2 min for the follow up?

I mean the dude deserves some sort of penalty for what he did, but doesn't sound close to being third man in. And assigning that stuff after the fact is pretty unlikely.
I agree. The other team should have ended up man down from that, and league discipline should give the dude a serious warning about it.

If a dude came in with a truly violent charge/hit from behind after the whistle, though, major and game could still be a justified call, regardless of 3rd man whatever, especially in a non-checking league. Takes a lot to call a major, though. Just ask a Denver Pioneers fan.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DeNofa posted:

Don't buy this goatskin garbage; go full-on panda skin.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

I don't think cutting it and rejoining it would work, unless you got the seam perfectly flat. Like maybe tape it together with some packing tape or something.

Home Depot should be able to cut it down for you, just figure out how big a piece can fit in your car and ask them for a chunk that big. You can oversize slightly as it bends quite a bit without issue. Keep the scraps too, might be useful for puck handling in the living room or something.

Silicone spray is what I use to lube it up, just drench it with the stuff and it will be almost as good as ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DeNofa posted:

They're true 100% leather with no stitching or coloring. The branding is almost indistinguishable as its pressed into the leather. And they're eagle so they're comfortable as gently caress.

Pros: light weight, traditional leather palms and gussets. Leather outer is tough. Lots of protection

Cons: initially expensive. Hard to find now. If you repalm via eagle it can be pricy and requires intl shipping.

My h34s in tan I got back in 2005 or so and they've basically stopped making them. It was a real chore to find the black pair as I had been looking for a while. Most pairs were in bad shape. These just needed a repalm and they otherwise look brand new.

And yeah it's goat leather I have no idea why I think originally they were horse leather hence the h34 model name.

I'm a terrible person, especially when it comes to how picky I am with poo poo. My white whale has now turned into the mixed tan/black pair which I haven't seen in years, basically since they went on sale back in 2005.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 29, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/eagle-h34-senior-gloves.html

Found tan! I wonder if they're still the same quality as yours though. I used to love Eagle gloves back with the X50/70, but later on not so much. I might have to indulge myself.

Also I use rubber Tackimac grips, which from what I can tell has helped prolong my palms.

edit: They new H34s look like they're cut differently than the 2005 model. I wonder if they're still as good.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 29, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This place actually listed them as for sale and then had them out of stock forever when you ordered (I tried). I know they said they found a few pairs so maybe they're actually for sale.

They're Eagles though they're good gloves.

Edit: weird thing is they don't have h34 or vintage stamped on the side of the glove per originals. I bet these are custom 4 rolls made entirely in leather like the h34s but not really h34s. Also the color looks a little weird but it's a photo and mine are a mess due to wear and tear.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 29, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teammate apparently managed to break his hip on Sunday. Was a nasty collision in the instructional league, dude gets hit high by a bigger skater and goes down hard on his side. Pretty much everyone at the time thought it just nailed the nerve and he'd be fine (if in pain) for a few days.

Turns out it was more than that. :v:

Hopefully "break" really means "fracture" because I can't imagine how falling down could snap anything in the hip. But then I'm not a doctor.

Ay least we got a goal off the power play it gave us? Totally worth it.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Teammate apparently managed to break his hip on Sunday. Was a nasty collision in the instructional league, dude gets hit high by a bigger skater and goes down hard on his side. Pretty much everyone at the time thought it just nailed the nerve and he'd be fine (if in pain) for a few days.

Turns out it was more than that. :v:

Hopefully "break" really means "fracture" because I can't imagine how falling down could snap anything in the hip. But then I'm not a doctor.

Ay least we got a goal off the power play it gave us? Totally worth it.

It's how old ladies break it, right? Just with a lot less force required to break an old lady.

Anyway, I hope he heals up OK.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
How do you guys manage sweat into the eyes? I tried out these a few weeks ago. I liked it but it covered up vent holes on the front and made it a lot hotter. It also folded up on itself when I took of my helmet, to get a bit of cool air, and put it back on. Their video makes it look like a maxi pad commercial and one of the girls said she'd bring in a few for me to wear.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

It's been answered, but I also don't think that it's feasible to cut it. Or rather, cutting it is fine, but don't expect to put it back together without a seam. It's a large enough sheet that I would like to cut mine down so I have a small piece to use indoors.

Here's a photo so you can see what the material is like a bit better. I leave it out in the open and exposed to the elements exactly like this and it's held up decently well so far:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wore a goofy looking underarmor skullcap early on which helped quite a bit.

I'm not sure what changed but after about a year I just stopped having problems with sweat in my eyes. Maybe I stay moving longer, which dries the sweat? Or my conditioning is better. But it doesn't bother me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Was playing with that private group Sellouts got me in last night and one of the older dudes was in a collision in the neutral zone that didn't look like much (2 guys racing for a puck and bumping eachother as they were stopping) but he stayed down. When he got to the bench he explained while he was stopping and his leading leg was planted the other dude made contact and his leg bent inwards at that knee and he felt a pop. I heard he was feeling a lot of heat afterwards.

Major bummer, sounds like an MCL :(