Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I didn't see the race but i'm assuming it wasn't good since Valverde won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It threatened to excite but then it didnt. I think the only memorable moment was the peloton detonating all over the road.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

fuckin world tour comin through killing my strava rankings today :(

Also lol BMC lost a man on that bump, it's a good one to drop tired friends on :)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Some old gently caress won on a mountain in turkey today. From an early move too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-introduces-new-sanctions-against-motorised-doping

Good one guys. This is definitely the thing to be focussing on and making new rules for.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Has anyone ever been caught with an electric motor in their bike?
I thought it was all just silly rumours from journalists who needed a story for the week

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I forget which cycling website it was, but they did an interview with a company that developed small motors that can be hidden fairly well in the seat post. Said batteries and power can be hidden in a similar way. From afar the bikes where the engine was attached was indiscernible. They report it gives you about 100 watts over what your body is doing. Can't remember anyone actually getting caught though for this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Has anyone ever been caught with an electric motor in their bike?
I thought it was all just silly rumours from journalists who needed a story for the week

No, no-one has ever been caught and no bike has ever been scanned that has one of these things in.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They probably have been some tip offs but I bet the vast majority of them are masters riders and I don't think anyone is willing to spend money on fixing that poo poo show.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I think they got some intel on the bike motors in CIRC because they are really doubling down

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think fundamentally the rule is in place so they can launch surprise inspections not just on the bike the rider finishes on, but on those that had 'mechanicals' mid race that are now on the team car. There's some suggestions that the sprinters are swapping to bikes below the weight limit to get over the medium mountain stages and then finishing on a proper bike just in case of inspection.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I can't ever see anybody on the pro level using one of these things, but you bet somebody in those goofy rear end Gran Fondos (which the UCI regulates in Europe) and those random continental teams in asia/south america is thinking about these things real seriously.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Loved romandie carrying on the latest craze of 'cars killing cyclists' except cranking it up a notch with the loving medical car dooring a guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seOOdwuerC0

:downsbravo:

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Good grief. You'd expect people working in an official capacity would know to check their blind spots before they open their doors, but I guess everyone makes mistakes.

God that has to hurt.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
The Giro will be Adam Hansen's 11th consecutive GT, insane.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Bet that guy doesn't remember what it's like to wake up with legs that don't hurt.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Premature ejacula- posted:

The Giro will be Adam Hansen's 11th consecutive GT, insane.

Is he still wearing his diy weight weenie shoes?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Is he still wearing his diy weight weenie shoes?

Yeah. Grabbed a stage win last year as well didn't he? What are the chances that you don't have a single bad crash that takes you out of the race in all those years?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
He also says that he enjoys the grand tours so much because they're relaxing and racing keeps him sane.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Because why cant polar bears enjoy a stage race too?

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
It's GT time so I am interested in cycling again. How are all the main players who I haven't thought of since last years Tour?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Which reminds me: What is Alessandro De Marchi up to these days? He was quite entertaining last summer.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

MacDougall posted:

It's GT time so I am interested in cycling again. How are all the main players who I haven't thought of since last years Tour?

What's wrong with you? The GTs are the worst time of the year.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gibbo posted:

True

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Gibbo posted:

I. for one, am looking forward to SKY Pro Cycling Team strangling the gently caress out of at least 2 GTs this year through innovations such as 'marginal gains', and techniques such as 'not using the seat at all when the gradient is above 6%'.

But to answer the question. Astana: still dodgy. SKY: still boring. Froome: still dumb as a box of hammers. Wiggins and Evans: dead or something idk. Valverde: still winning stuff thats not a GT. Contador and Qintana: still our only hopes. Frenchmen: still overrated. Rodriguez: Still cool as gently caress and I will fight you if you disagree, but still wont win a GT because he is purito Rodriguez.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Box Hill Strangler posted:

But to answer the question. Astana: still dodgy. SKY: still boring. Froome: still dumb as a box of hammers. Wiggins and Evans: dead or something idk. Valverde: still winning stuff thats not a GT. Contador and Qintana: still our only hopes. Frenchmen: still overrated. Rodriguez: Still cool as gently caress and I will fight you if you disagree, but still wont win a GT because he is purito Rodriguez.

Same except I have several more riders in the Rodriguez category; cool as gently caress but not GT winners.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The tour de romandie isn't on eurosport wtf

Dowsett smashed the hour record too. 52.937km

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 2, 2015

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord

serious gaylord posted:

Impressive, I wonder what Wiggins or Martin might be capable of.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Premature ejacula- posted:

Impressive, I wonder what Wiggins or Martin might be capable of.

Wiggins is having a go in a month, you'll find out then.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.rts.ch/play/tv/rts-deux-en-direct/video/rts-deux-en-direct?id=3608517

I think it is locked to Switzerland but you should be able to get around it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This descent looks fun.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

It is good fun, from the very top of the Forclaz it's 1000m vertical descent with about 4-5 hairpins so you can go flat out for nearly all of it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pocket, I don't speak french very well. Were they just making fun of Chris Froome? It sounded like it.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

They were just saying they couldn't spot him in the lead group. This is a right bastard of a climb btw, no rest ever.

Edit: just saw how long ago you posted. They were discussing how he said he wasn't feeling 100% today at the start and how it's odd not to have any teams mates, that others can capitalise on this.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 2, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

They were just saying they couldn't spot him in the lead group. This is a right bastard of a climb btw, no rest ever.

Edit: just saw how long ago you posted. They were discussing how he said he wasn't feeling 100% today at the start and how it's odd not to have any teams mates, that others can capitalise on this.

I saw on the descent that he just disappeared off the back as soon as Martin gave it the gas and they were talking about him alot. I imagine because hes poo poo at descending.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Don't think I was paying attention for that part.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

So I didn't bother checking the ITT route before, just saw a run through on FB. It's not an easy one, they've got them doing some steep cobbled climbs in Lausanne (a city built on hills upon hills) on a horribly wet day. Not much to fear as these are civilised cobbles, probably get a 1 or 2 star at a push rating in PR but they aren't fun individually in the dry. Wish I was able to go but I've exams all next week to study for :(

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Yeah, the Petit-Chêne is nasty as gently caress. It starts out steep and just gets steeper as you get closer to the top.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Swiss tv already asking "with the Russian connection, is the win credible".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sounds like they're butthurt.