Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

He's had 4-5 jobs he's been let go from in the last 2 years? :psyduck: There's something wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Gasoline is listed twice and why is Netflix 15 dollars?

e: also, stop the tithe. the message was supposed to be to give what you can, not make sure you give 10% or straight on the hellbus you go

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

Gasoline is listed twice and why is Netflix 15 dollars?

e: also, stop the tithe. the message was supposed to be to give what you can, not make sure you give 10% or straight on the hellbus you go

The Mormons do not believe that. It's 10% of your gross income no matter what. To be fair, they take care of their own. But they should with all that tax free money coming in.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wow, I had to tell the man friend how happy I am that he's not a retarded loving albatross.

Also, she has to be on call 24 hours per day but her take home is only $3200 a month? Huh?

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

FrozenVent posted:

Wouldn't just cutting the savings and the tithe bring them to neutral cash flow? :psyduck:

The husband's employment situation is either :laffo: or :smith: I can't decide.

And hers, she earns $3200/month and is on call 24/7.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Tithe. Lol.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Tithe. Lol.

It seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of Bad With Money posts (not on SA, but on reddit etc.) where someone's monthly net income is negative and they're pissing away 10%+ of their income in tithing. Just baffling. And it's always one of those things that they'll defend as a necessary expense.

Take care of yourself before charity, lest you become a charity case.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Guinness posted:

It seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of Bad With Money posts (not on SA, but on reddit etc.) where someone's monthly net income is negative and they're pissing away 10%+ of their income in tithing. Just baffling. And it's always one of those things that they'll defend as a necessary expense.

Heaven ain't cheap :science:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Guinness posted:

The woman is in financial dire straits (of her own doing), yet refers to the tithe as non-negotiable.

I guess that isn't her biggest problem by a long shot, but it still makes me giggle.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I've noticed that a lot of followers of Dave Ramsey prioritize tithing over everything else in their budget, even during emergencies or when in debt. Yet another reason why anyone I meet that takes Dave's advice as gospel can immediately be written off as Bad With Money. I work with 3 of these people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Celador posted:

I've noticed that a lot of followers of Dave Ramsey prioritize tithing over everything else in their budget, even during emergencies or when in debt. Yet another reason why anyone I meet that takes Dave's advice as gospel can immediately be written off as Bad With Money. I work with 3 of these people.

I've never paid enough attention to Ramsey to hear about this, so I just looked into it :psyduck: Holy hell, the doublespeak he and his followers spew is maddening.

:eng101: "Tithe and the Lord will take care of you! Don't worry about making ends meet, do your part and He will protect you!"
:v: "Help I'm in crushing debt and still paying five figures a year to the church"
:eng101: "That's your responsibility, God isn't going to bail you out. But tithe anyhow!"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

[quote="http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3481kq/27_95kyr_20k_of_debt_tried_ynab_mint_even_sold/" post=""""]
Hello PF,
I'm losin' it. I have no clue what the hell to do. It feels like I am barely able to make it halfway through the month, and I've been selling my stuff to try to get some extra cash flow but it's falling apart in front of me.
I have $0 in savings, no emergency fund, and no emergency line of credit. If I were to need to cough up $2000 today, I would have to sell my furniture, TV and computer rock bottom and/or ask family for help.
Here is what I am dealing with:
INCOME: $5507/mo after taxes
Monthly Bills:

Rent: $2240
Internet: $112.97
Smartphones: $170.56
Amazon.com Card: $85.00 (minimum)
Fry's.com Card: $37.00 (minimum)
Credit Union CreditCard: $50 (minimum)
Water, sewer, trash: this comes every 3 quarter, already paid.
Electric: $98.22
Natural Gas: $75
Other Monthly Expenses:

Food: $350
Gas: $50
Google Play Music ~$12
Google Play Music for partner ~$12
Netflix: ~$10
Car Insurance: $100
Support for partner: $110
Debts:

Amazon.com Card (Limit $3000)
Purchase APR 22.24%
Cash APR 23.24%
Balance: $2,988.36
Minimum payment: $85.00
USAA Personal Loan (previously was for debt consolidation, then things blew up)
Interest Rate: 16.75%
Balance: $10,643.78
Minimum payment: $318.42
Credit Union CreditCard ($2000 limit)
Purchase Rate: 7.99%
Cash Advance Rate: 12.99%
Balance: 1993.36
Minimum payment: $50.00
Fry's.com Card ($1600 limit)
Interest Rate: unknown
Balance: $1537.09
Minimum payment: $37.00
T-Mobile EIP: $1768.14 (2 x Note 4's and a Nexus 9) (included in monthly bill)
Medical:

Debt from getting an ultrasound done: $156.77
Debt from getting an echocardiogram and stress test: $1107.60
Primary care doctor: $67.31
Sleep study: $34.85
My partner is going through surgery and recovery and as such is unable to work or have any sort of income thus I am the only income for the home. I also went through some horrible medical junk the past couple years so that hurts too.
I am hopelessly lost on where to start, how to get the ball rolling, and the order in which I should be chipping away at this debt. I have tried YNAB (too much work and ultimately too confusing for me) and Mint (bugginess with interfacing my accounts and not really nailing the point home for me) and neither seems to be a good tool for me. I'm tired of selling things to try to get some cash so that I can make a grocery trip when food runs out or put gas in the car when we need to go to the doctor to follow up on things.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Wherein a man spends $600/mo on weed in lieu of paying off ~$17000 in high-interest consumer debt

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Edit: ^^^ lol SloMo

Dave Ramsey usually says that if you can't get out of debt on 90% of your income, you won't be doing it on 100% either. He pushes people to really dig deep, like 50% of take-home deep, to get out of debt. In the time I listened to him, he mentioned tithing positively but certainly never demands that anyone do it.

If you don't have kids or property, the baby steps are basically BFC canon.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 29, 2015

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Yeah Dave is actually really good when it comes to getting people out of crippling debt with no idea how to budget or live within their means. He falls short when it comes to retirement/investment advice and there is a noticeable emphasis on tithing/charity because he's a devout Christian.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

quote:

Looking at my main bank account, in the last 30 days I've sank:

$1175 into my partner, who is actually paying utilities, natural gas and electric. This includes the $110/month I listed.

$600 into weed

$716 into food (including monthly groceries)

$540 into non-foods that could have been avoided completely

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

600 dollars... How do you even do that?

I mean, Jesus Christ.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

600 dollars... How do you even do that?

I mean, Jesus Christ.

2 ounces? I haven't partook in a long time so maybe my price estimate is off, but that seems doable with two people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MrKatharsis posted:

Dave Ramsey usually says that if you can't get out of debt on 90% of your income, you won't be doing it on 100% either. He pushes people to really dig deep, like 50% of take-home deep, to get out of debt. In the time I listened to him, he mentioned tithing positively but certainly never demands that anyone do it.

Sure he doesn't "demand" it, but he talks out of both sides of his mouth an awful lot.

Dave Ramsey posted:

Q: Is it acceptable to pause tithing in tough financial times?
A: The Bible does not mention anything about "pausing" tithing. Neither does it say that we will go to Hell if we do not tithe.

Dave Ramsey posted:

No, I wouldn’t stop my tithe. I wouldn’t reduce it. It’s a tenth. I tithed all the way into bankruptcy court and all the way out. These are a loving Father’s instructions for His kids.

Dave Ramsey posted:

When does it occur? As I’ve studied it in Scripture, it’s real clear that it’s off the top as it says in Proverbs. That’s before anything else occurs. Having said all of that, there’s enough toxicity in Christianity and misinformation, so let’s back up from that. God loves you whether you give money to the church or not. He doesn’t love you more if you give. We’re not going to get into performance-based legalism. We’re just doing this because we love God and that’s what He’s telling His kid to do. I’m going to follow that.

Which all sounds reasonable, but judging by the comments I see from his followers it's pretty clear the spirit in which the message is given and received (not that it's really unclear what his stance is.)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

2 ounces? I haven't partook in a long time so maybe my price estimate is off, but that seems doable with two people.

Buy lower quality or something if you have to have your house look like Cheech and Chong's car. Good freaking lord that's a lot.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A gram of weed a day per person is a pretty heavy dose. No wonder they lost track of their money.

Any reasonable person can drop Dave Ramsey's tithing advice into the ignore bucket alongside his tax and investment advice. He's no more an ordained minister than he is a CPA or economist. The $150 non-negotiable tithe isn't exactly breaking the bank for that redditor either. They could keep the tithe and still be comfortably afloat with some other fairly obvious changes. Some people just like their Jesus and you can't change that.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you're going through 2+ ounces of weed per month, buy a loving vaporizer and consume 1/4 as much bud, get just as high, and be a poo poo load healthier from not putting 2+ ounces of burnt weed into your lungs. It'd pay for itself within a month or two and you won't have chronic wheezing and coughing.

Even between two people, that's a poo poo load of weed consumption even as an everyday user.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Not a Children posted:

Wherein a man spends $600/mo on weed in lieu of paying off ~$17000 in high-interest consumer debt
With an income of $5,500 a month after taxes spending $600 on weed shouldn't be an issue. After rent there is still $3300 left to spend so :wtf: how is food running out?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Guinness posted:

If you're going through 2+ ounces of weed per month, buy a loving vaporizer and consume 1/4 as much bud, get just as high, and be a poo poo load healthier from not putting 2+ ounces of burnt weed into your lungs. It'd pay for itself within a month or two and you won't have chronic wheezing and coughing.

Even between two people, that's a poo poo load of weed consumption even as an everyday user.

Seriously. I could stretch an ounce out to a whole year if I only vaped. Also, you get to use the end product to make edibles!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I went through some atrocious weed spending in my past but never got that high.

Well I was gonna post something else but my own joke distracted me, so I'm done now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

cowofwar posted:

With an income of $5,500 a month after taxes spending $600 on weed shouldn't be an issue. After rent there is still $3300 left to spend so :wtf: how is food running out?

Munchies.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

As an atheist, I suppose I am incredibly biased--but I can't imagine considering a contribution to your church as 'non-negotiable' when you are in the midst of a personal financial crisis.

Every christian I know goes on and on about good works not making any difference in salvation, but will happily fork over their hard earned money to the church. gently caress that.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

As an atheist, I suppose I am incredibly biased--but I can't imagine considering a contribution to your church as 'non-negotiable' when you are in the midst of a personal financial crisis.

Every christian I know goes on and on about good works not making any difference in salvation, but will happily fork over their hard earned money to the church. gently caress that.

I'd assume it comes from the book of Job. Job starts out prosperous, then loses everything (including his family and health), but remains faithful to God through all of it and God ends up rewarding his loyalty by giving him double the riches and a new family.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I kind of like the idea of people putting in a fixed amount in their budget for charity every month instead of waiting until they feel guilty enough about the disaster du jour to donate. The world would probably be better off if everyone did that. Though churches are probably not the most useful place to spend all that money.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

LeeMajors posted:

Probably spend a lot of time at church and functions, justify it as paying for it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, I was surprised how much my lone $330 community college class got me: aforementioned Amazon Prime Student, Lynda.com access, and a number of other perks. Also a pretty interesting online Intro to the Short Story class :kiddo:

Lynda.com is awesome, I was paying for it before I found out it was included with my library card. King County (WA) libraries continue to be amazing.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I'll probably be skewered here for this, but my church does an incredible amount of good with its budget. We fund shelters, a place for disadvantaged children in the city, and other very good things. Yes, those who are helped know who's providing it, but we're not beating them over the head with bibles.

The overhead for the building and modest salaries for the few employees are a small portion of where the money goes. I'm certainly happy to fork over a few hundred a month. I'm under no illusion that doing so will save my soul, but I know it makes me a better person than I would otherwise be.

Of course, my cars are paid off and I max out my 401k first.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

High Lord Elbow posted:

I'll probably be skewered here for this, but my church does an incredible amount of good with its budget. We fund shelters, a place for disadvantaged children in the city, and other very good things. Yes, those who are helped know who's providing it, but we're not beating them over the head with bibles.

The overhead for the building and modest salaries for the few employees are a small portion of where the money goes. I'm certainly happy to fork over a few hundred a month. I'm under no illusion that doing so will save my soul, but I know it makes me a better person than I would otherwise be.

Of course, my cars are paid off and I max out my 401k first.

You might say.... you can... afford... to tithe?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Florida Betty posted:

I kind of like the idea of people putting in a fixed amount in their budget for charity every month instead of waiting until they feel guilty enough about the disaster du jour to donate. The world would probably be better off if everyone did that. Though churches are probably not the most useful place to spend all that money.
Private charity is biased and inefficient compared to what the government can do. Simply increasing income taxes has better results in every way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

cowofwar posted:

Private charity is biased and inefficient compared to what the government can do. Simply increasing income taxes has better results in every way.

This isn't even close to true - governments spend most of their money on their own citizens, and the most efficient charities don't generally involve the first world.

http://www.givewell.org/ is a charity efficiency rating charity and according to them, the Against Malaria Foundation saves a childs life for roughly every $3,340 donated. Do you think that an extra $3,340 in tax revenue, divvied up as the government's budget is, would save a child's life?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Government isn't just bad with money, it's bad with other people's money, a far worse sin.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

cowofwar posted:

Governments might be more efficient compared to say, the Clinton Foundation, but not much else.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Man yall aren't very dedicated pot smokers. Vaporizing always got me less high, I could spend an hour trying to get high with a vaporizer before getting annoyed and smoking. But I would get tore up, just being a little high wasn't ever what I was going for. I spent at least $100/week on weed for just me, probably more most of the time.

Edit: I'm late to this party, my bad.

I budget a 10% "tithe" but I give it to the world wherever it's needed. I think the philosophy of a tithe is wonderful. Dave also says that giving is for you, not for God. Letting go of material things and just giving it away allows you to be less attached to material poo poo, and less entitled. I agree.

I also agree taxes are a totally valid way of helping society. Doesn't give you "saving the third world" fuzzies but it is supporting local schools and roads and fire departments and trash collection and the national weather service so yeah I'm quite proud to pay my taxes. (Also I chose to have this attitude so I don't get mad that I pay taxes back to the U.S. without living there. I use so much GFS weather data that I should pay my portion.)

Switchback fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 30, 2015

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This isn't even close to true - governments spend most of their money on their own citizens, and the most efficient charities don't generally involve the first world.

http://www.givewell.org/ is a charity efficiency rating charity and according to them, the Against Malaria Foundation saves a childs life for roughly every $3,340 donated. Do you think that an extra $3,340 in tax revenue, divvied up as the government's budget is, would save a child's life?
I think you missed his point. He isn't talking about an African country increasing taxes to reduce malarial burden or USA increases taxes to provide donations to these countries.

What he is saying is problems in your respective developed countries could be better handled from increasing taxes and using the money directly to fund programs that look into solving these problems. Off the top of my head (not american): your homeless problem, your healthcare (sorry lets not start this argument), drug problems, pregnancy/family planning programs (I think these are happening now?) and other things.

Also yes a government could easily out perform any charity organisation whose job is to distribute nets to thousands of people in 2 countries in Africa.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 30, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think you missed his point. He isn't talking about an African country increasing taxes to reduce malarial burden or USA increases taxes to provide donations to these countries.

What he is saying is problems in your respective developed countries could be better handled from increasing taxes and using the money directly to fund programs that look into solving these problems. Off the top of my head (not american): your homeless problem, your healthcare (sorry lets not start this argument), drug problems, pregnancy/family planning programs (I think these are happening now?) and other things.

Also yes a government could easily out perform any charity organisation whose job is to distribute nets to thousands of people in 2 countries in Africa.

Not with $3,340 it couldn't. If he US government diverted funds from efficient charities that operate in the third world to taxes, it would do net harm to humanity. The same is true for a great many world governments. That makes them not more efficient to give to than charity if you care about doing the most good worldwide. I'm not making a policy recommendation for the third world government. The difficulty of the problem will change with scale and yes, at some point that charity won't be the most efficient way to do good any more, but right now, giving them some amount money does more good than giving that money to any given government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You might say.... you can... afford... to tithe?
How's that saying go? "Secure your own oxygen mask before trying to help with someone else's?"

I agree that charity in general(and tithing if your religious beliefs swing that way) has a place in a budget, but that comes after you've stabilized your finances and can actually afford it. I have a feeling that if the people in these dire financial straits would talk to their pastor, they might find that the church is okay with them lowering their giving(or giving time instead of money). At least if their church actually cares about helping people & isn't just using tithes to encase everything in solid gold.

• Locked thread