Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah those were nightmare times. "Oh god what's happened?!" Quick someone torrent it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
We had to resort to finding really low-quality streams by word of mouth.

Frankly, it was worth it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Fucknag posted:

It crashed newgrounds, yes. On the reinforced server it has for just such occasions.

Then Hussie uploaded it to Megaupload. Which promptly went down as well.

Then Tumblr went down from the absolute shitfit which followed.

Cascade broke half the internet.

Needless to say, but it also broke MSPA.com

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fucknag posted:

It crashed newgrounds, yes. On the reinforced server it has for just such occasions.

I thought that while he had entered negotiations to put it on the reinforced server he never actually got around to FINISHING them and then did indeed put it on newgrounds, but not the reinforced server.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Roxy Jake knew his entire life is dead and now a doppelganger from another dimension has come to take her place. It's probably going to take some time for Jake to get used to this situation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zNa4NKFE6wE

It's weird to compare Homestuck and Rick & Morty. They definitely hit some similar notes regarding the multiverse of selves, but as in that clip Morty finds the idea of burying himself overwhelming while Dave hucked his own corpse into the magma and that was just the start of his problems. John uses his retcon powers to go back to Terezi trying to summon him, and the Other John just casually accepts that he's probably not John anymore and is about to die or be erased from existence.

All of the players have accepted to different degrees that they're sort of impermanent - this isn't their John or Roxy, maybe, but it's a John and Roxy, so gently caress it, close enough. Where did they come from? Eh, probably some other timeline. What if they die too? Well, maybe a new John and Roxy will come along from some other dimension, or maybe this whole timeline's a wash and the real yourself is out there in the real timeline, and their John and Roxy are alive. It'd be a bit of a satisfying return to form for Jake to flagrantly fail to grasp the mental gymnastics the situation calls for and rejects that Roxy is in fact Roxy, the same way he confused Meenah for the Condesce, but it'd get in the way of the increased plot tempo we're trying to set here so if anyone actually has reservations about the death of the individual Vriska'll probably deflect them with a few lines.

The only character who's actually the original version of a person we were first introduced to is Davesprite, assuming he came over with John on LOWAS.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm reminded of the ending of the novel version of Red Dwarf: Backwards, where Rimmer and Kryten both die but Lister and Cat escape to another dimension where it so happens that they're dead but Rimmer and Kryten are still around. It's at the very end of the novel, so you don't really get to see the implications play out, but a return to the status quo seems to be the idea.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Dolash's effortposts are unironically the best part of this thread atm

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I'm sure you all are talking about something super interesting and relevant to current events but I need to bring up this page of Paradox Space because I just noticed that in the last panel every green object has had a bite taken out of it and god drat the Mayor is the best loving character in all of Homestuck

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

I'm sure you all are talking about something super interesting and relevant to current events but I need to bring up this page of Paradox Space because I just noticed that in the last panel every green object has had a bite taken out of it and god drat the Mayor is the best loving character in all of Homestuck

Much of Paradox Space has grown on me, like the cancerous tumor it is on the comic itself.

KC Green is still loving awful tho

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

WAR FOOT posted:

Dolash's effortposts are unironically the best part of this thread atm always

ftfy

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

koos' effortposts

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WAR FOOT posted:

koos effortposts

:koos:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

Dolash's effortposts are unironically the best part of this thread atm

Damning with faint praise.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Where did the 4/29 update go?

e. oh its still there just not linked to in the left column for whatever reason

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

Where did the 4/29 update go?

e. oh its still there just not linked to in the left column for whatever reason

I had to completely refresh my browser for it to show up there.

Try holding ctrl-shift-r and see if that helps.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

reignonyourparade posted:

I thought that while he had entered negotiations to put it on the reinforced server he never actually got around to FINISHING them and then did indeed put it on newgrounds, but not the reinforced server.
Were there other times when you knew big Flashes or important plot events were coming up? I don't mean server-breaking stuff, I just mean "holy poo poo something is about to happen/is happening"? I, too, got there late, and I wish I'd come in during the era when Homestuck could update multiple times during the day and you never knew when.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Back then Hussie usually had an average of at least a dozen pages a day, so usually the first indication of there being a big flash coming up was when the website RSS didn't ping for a day.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dolash posted:

It's weird to compare Homestuck and Rick & Morty. They definitely hit some similar notes regarding the multiverse of selves, but as in that clip Morty finds the idea of burying himself overwhelming while Dave hucked his own corpse into the magma and that was just the start of his problems. John uses his retcon powers to go back to Terezi trying to summon him, and the Other John just casually accepts that he's probably not John anymore and is about to die or be erased from existence.

I wonder what Other John is doing right now, anyway. Did he go see his denizen? Is he a last line of defense? Has he got reality-editing powers too?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I think the only thing that was as impressive as Cascade in terms of collateral damage was when Hussie literally crashed Tumblr with the Kanaya/Rose kiss.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Glazius posted:

I wonder what Other John is doing right now, anyway. Did he go see his denizen? Is he a last line of defense? Has he got reality-editing powers too?

He died when his planet exploded.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe he means that alternate John from when John retconned a scene he'd already been in (who also had retcon powers). He was told he was probably irrelevant now and we assume he'd just disappear, but we're not sure.

I sure hope Davesprite didn't just die since his story is kind of sad.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Blackheart posted:

Maybe he means that alternate John from when John retconned a scene he'd already been in (who also had retcon powers). He was told he was probably irrelevant now and we assume he'd just disappear, but we're not sure.

John's bargain with Typheus resulted in the fact that every other John is dead. The only John that survives in any timeline is the one we're currently following -- so every John who didn't die in some other way throughout all of Paradox Space eventually meets with Typheus and makes the same bargain for the opposite effect, dying so this John can be the only John.

So that alternate John that our John retconned probably flew off to Typheus and got exploded in his planet, or drowned in oil, or whatever.

Also Davesprite is probably definitely going to show up again in some form, since we've had intimations of a Choice he made with Hephaestus whose repercussions have yet to be fully explored. I'm betting he stowed away on the cleared out LOWAS.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Also Davesprite is probably definitely going to show up again in some form, since we've had intimations of a Choice he made with Hephaestus whose repercussions have yet to be fully explored. I'm betting he stowed away on the cleared out LOWAS.
I always assumed Davesprite was choosing between his own survival and having the sword reforged: Denizen choices seem to do that sort of thing. Then again, "probably dead" might as well be surrounded by glowing neon and have its own soundtrack.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Blackheart posted:

Remember when we all thought Meenah's Girlfriend!Vriska was going to poof away after the retJohn?

Hahahaha, good times, good times.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im glad that the vriska who looks like a Good Charlotte fan did not disappear, even if this fact makes the exact nature of the retcon very confusing.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
The RetJohns don't affect the furthest ring/dreambubbles though. Everything that happened there STILL happened/happens/whatever. But like, so the meteor crew is hurtling through again right? So the retconned meteor crew doesn't get to meet Meenah right after she arrives in the dreambubbles, they don't get to have any of the exact conversations we've already seen them having. But I think it's fair to say, those already happened, between dreamghosts and now doomed versions of the meteor crew. When they go through the bubbles this time around, they are probably having different interactions with the ghosts. To what degree they mirror what originally happened, we can only speculate. Obviously, a doomed god tier Feferi still brings back the mayor. Was it the same Feferi at a different point on her personal timeline, or a different one entirely?

We don't know, and I'm not sure it particularly matters.

Lupus Rufus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 29, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Remember when we all thought Meenah's Girlfriend!Vriska was going to poof away after the retJohn?

Hahahaha, good times, good times.

Whoever believed that was dumb.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah AFAIK everything in the dream bubbles/furthest ring exists outside and independently of the timeline fuckery of the sessions, the only things that exist in multiple instances are things that traveled there from the sessions.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lupus Rufus posted:

The RetJohns don't affect the furthest ring/dreambubbles though. Everything that happened there STILL happened/happens/whatever. But like, so the meteor crew is hurtling through again right? So the retconned meteor crew doesn't get to meet Meenah right after she arrives in the dreambubbles, they don't get to have any of the exact conversations we've already seen them having. But I think it's fair to say, those already happened, between dreamghosts and now doomed versions of the meteor crew. When they go through the bubbles this time around, they are probably having different interactions with the ghosts. To what degree they mirror what originally happened, we can only speculate. Obviously, a doomed god tier Feferi still brings back the mayor. Was it the same Feferi at a different point on her personal timeline, or a different one entirely?

I like to imagine that particular God-Tier Feferi with a queue of doomed meteors each waiting for her to revive their WV.

It might matter a little regarding Aradia and Sollux, since I think their pre-RetJohn versions still exist as they were in the Furthest Ring at the time, meaning the Aradia and Sollux we saw in the Vriskagram flash would be another Aradia and Sollux. They've been deliberately avoiding taking part in the story until now anyway so it probably won't come up, but either of these Aradias or Solluxes would be perfectly valid versions of each character.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dolash posted:

They've been deliberately avoiding taking part in the story until now anyway so it probably won't come up, but either of these Aradias or Solluxes would be perfectly valid versions of each character.

*Solluces

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lupus Rufus posted:

When they go through the bubbles this time around, they are probably having different interactions with the ghosts. To what degree they mirror what originally happened, we can only speculate.

As far as we know, Rose, Kanaya and Porrim didn't feed mechanical apples to a herd of robot horses the first time around.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah AFAIK everything in the dream bubbles/furthest ring exists outside and independently of the timeline fuckery of the sessions, the only things that exist in multiple instances are things that traveled there from the sessions.

Yeah but we were led to believe that John's power was narrative fuckery rather than timeline fuckery, which is why he can change things without it causing paradoxes. That's why it was unclear if the changes he made would affect the dream bubbles or not.

If his powers are not time-related and he just changes how the story goes, then it doesn't make sense for ghost-Vriska to still exist, so now I'm not sure what his powers are supposed to be. Unless the furthest ring exists outside of the narrative too, which I'm not sure I'm ready to wrap my head around :psyduck:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah but we were led to believe that John's power was narrative fuckery rather than timeline fuckery, which is why he can change things without it causing paradoxes. That's why it was unclear if the changes he made would affect the dream bubbles or not.

If his powers are not time-related and he just changes how the story goes, then it doesn't make sense for ghost-Vriska to still exist, so now I'm not sure what his powers are supposed to be. Unless the furthest ring exists outside of the narrative too, which I'm not sure I'm ready to wrap my head around :psyduck:

Well think of it like this.

Paradox Space IS where the man writing the narrative lived.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Huh, Lil Cal is Buu, the being who consumes people and gains their abilities and personalities. :v:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Solluxen

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Blackheart posted:

Whoever believed that was dumb.

Ha ha! Ha. Haaaa.

:(

Lupus Rufus posted:

Something I noticed in the Vriskagram animation is that Rose's first date with Kanaya happens before they meet the Beforan trolls in the bubbles, which is contrary to the sequence of events in A6I3. Since we know from Ministrife that multiple versions of the Beforan trolls exist in the dream bubbles, I'm leaning towards the theory that this instance of the meteor passed through different bubbles at different times, but occasionally crossed paths with the original bubbles, allowing Vriska to meet undercutghost!Vriska.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tholluxthii

reminder that Sollux's CANON name is Solluxander.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

WAR FOOT posted:

Much of Paradox Space has grown on me, like the cancerous tumor it is on the comic itself.

Will we ever see part 2 of The Inaugural Death Of Mister Seven? That and the camping story are probably the highlights of the whole experiment, so it sucks that one was only part of a story rather than a whole.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Will we ever see part 2 of The Inaugural Death Of Mister Seven? That and the camping story are probably the highlights of the whole experiment, so it sucks that one was only part of a story rather than a whole.

Paradox space hasn't updated in a while, assumedly because no one wants to be the one who follows the best comic on that site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Paradox space hasn't updated in a while, assumedly because no one wants to be the one who follows the best comic on that site.

Hussie explicitly said Paradox Space was going on hiatus. From the front page of MSPaint Adventures:

quote:

3) Paradox Space! 4/13 is the exact one year anniversary of its launch. And as HS resumes, PXS will be pausing for a good while. We actually paused production back in January, and have just been posting from a comic buffer since. This has much to do with shifting priorities heavily to gamedev needs, but I'll explain more about it and the future of PXS in a little while, on that site.