Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Skwirl posted:

Also, if it's a drone and not an actual cop, no police officer's life is in danger.

Set phasers to stun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Skwirl posted:

Also, if it's a drone and not an actual cop, no police officer's life is in danger.

And so it's impossible to claim self-defense.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Series DD Funding posted:

Knowing the police (I don't really know them) they would deputize the drone the same way they do to dogs. That way if you hit the drone you are striking a police officer or destroying public property or some poo poo like that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Series DD Funding posted:

The robbery necessitates a drone strike which puts cops in danger because of collateral damage or potential to target the wrong location, see, so the robbery is a threat against cops and requires lethal force.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

The robbery necessitates a drone strike which puts cops in danger because of collateral damage or potential to target the wrong location, see, so the robbery is a threat against cops and requires lethal force.

Collateral damage could be to a Muslim owner of the convenience store. Is rand okay with him being killed by drone?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I really can't wait until the first debate with Sanders and Clinton. Not to sound like a :tinfoil: but I really hope he gets equal air time in the debates.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

fuzz will never adopt drones wholesale because killing a man via remote-control cannot replicate the visceral thrill of strangling an asthmatic on live video or crushing a teenager's skull with your gunbutt.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Enigma89 posted:

I really can't wait until the first debate with Sanders and Clinton. Not to sound like a :tinfoil: but I really hope he gets equal air time in the debates.

Think Kucinich 2008.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Sir Tonk posted:

Think Kucinich 2008.

I miss him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOeaNN4DG2g

Paul / Kucinich were the only decent options in 2008 IMO.

e:
Gravel was pretty good also.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 29, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Tempest_56 posted:

Direct quote:

That one's a good two years old, from his big anti-drone fillabuster. He didn't 'go hawk'.

He's right. Stop :qq: ing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PupsOfWar posted:

fuzz will never adopt drones wholesale because killing a man via remote-control cannot replicate the visceral thrill of strangling an asthmatic on live video or crushing a teenager's skull with your gunbutt.

However, nobody is filming you when you murder someone with a drone.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

FAUXTON posted:

However, nobody is filming you when you murder someone with a drone.

Every time I hear of a drone strike, I just imagine some neckbeard sitting in Langley with a coffee and a doughnut next to him and some suit patting the drone operator on the back after the missile hits.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Warszawa posted:

Isn't Rand also pro-drone now?

He's always been pro-drone, he's just upset of the shade a certain president has cast upon their current usage.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Apparently Jeb's viral campaign has already begun down here in St. Thomas. I wonder if he knows the Virgin Islands can't vote in Presidential elections.

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Enigma89 posted:

The problem is the US has been disconnecting itself so much from the evil poo poo it does (bombing weddings with drones) that it really disassociates people from what is happening

No. This is wrong, Before that it was cruise missiles and before that it was a dude dropping a bomb from a couple miles up. And hell, when we did it with straight up a guy on the ground who had to get in firing range with a gun or rocket launcher it's not like we put him in charge of deciding who to kill.

The generals and politicians who order poo poo haven't had to go and see it done personally in a good century plus.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Lest we forget the legal foundation of "innocent until spotted leaving a liquor store with a wad of cash suspiciously."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Slow Graffiti posted:

Apparently Jeb's viral campaign has already begun down here in St. Thomas. I wonder if he knows the Virgin Islands can't vote in Presidential elections.

The Virgin Islands caucuses are on March 12, 2016 when they will allocate nine delegates to the RNC.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The issue with the drone vs police isn't who gets to kill the loving shoplifter. Assuming the best case scenario, hard with the police in this country I know, which one can take the suspect into custody? I have no loving clue how a drone can take a suspect non lethally, or without using force, a police officer can potentially do that. How many drones have successfully talked down an armed robber? A human presence, while being more dangerous perhaps to the police man, is a massive help in diffusing a violent situation rather than ending it violently.

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
It's official. Bernie Sanders: "I am running for president"

Spooky Forum Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 30, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why Won’t Rand Paul Tell the Truth About Trains?

quote:

During a radio interview yesterday, Senator Rand Paul weighed in on the ongoing unrest in Baltimore. “I came through the train on Baltimore last night,” the Kentucky Republican and 2016 presidential candidate told conservative radio host Laura Ingraham. Chuckling, he added, “I’m glad the train didn’t stop.” There’s just one problem with Sen. Paul’s account: Every train traveling through Baltimore that night stopped at Baltimore’s Pennsylvania Station.

The remark might have been easy to overlook; Paul followed it by urging listeners to understand that “this isn’t just a racial thing,” citing “the breakdown of the family structure, the lack of fathers, [and] the lack [of] a moral code” as the non-racial factors that provoked the upheaval.

But Paul, who was traveling from New York to Washington, would have been strictly limited to Amtrak in terms of train-based options. Reached by phone, a spokesperson for Amtrak, the owner of Baltimore’s rail transportation hub, confirmed that all Amtrak routes that travel through Baltimore make stops in Baltimore. “Amtrak continues to operate and make all scheduled stops at Baltimore Penn Station [and] the station remains open to ticketed passengers.”

Why, then, did Paul misrepresent his itinerary? Did he take a train at all? Do trains even exist?

At publication time, Senator Paul’s camp had declined to respond to multiple requests for comment.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For reference, Vermont awards 27* of the 4,483 total available delegates to the DNC.

* 23 delegates are awarded through the primary which is currently scheduled for March 1, though there is a bill to peg it to the NH primary which will likely fail. The four remaining delegates are Rep. Peter Welch, Senator Patrick Leahy, Governor Peter Shumlin, and former Governor Howard Dean, who is a delegate-for-life because he was DNC chair. Dean has already endorsed Hillary. The DNC rules state that any members of Congress who are Democrats are delegates at the DNC. Bernie's office clarified this week that, as far as his position in the Senate is concerned, he is still an independent and he has not served as a delegate at previous DNCs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

remusclaw posted:

The issue with the drone vs police isn't who gets to kill the loving shoplifter. Assuming the best case scenario, hard with the police in this country I know, which one can take the suspect into custody? I have no loving clue how a drone can take a suspect non lethally, or without using force, a police officer can potentially do that. How many drones have successfully talked down an armed robber? A human presence, while being more dangerous perhaps to the police man, is a massive help in diffusing a violent situation rather than ending it violently.
Or to put it in terms the current system would understand: "What good is a dead perp, when that perp could be put into prisons and turned into a profit center?"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

So his lie is that he was too chicken to make a stop in Baltimore? I don't even see the benefit he got by saying that in the first place.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Joementum posted:

The Virgin Islands caucuses are on March 12, 2016 when they will allocate nine delegates to the RNC.

Interesting, I didn't realize they allocated delegates whilst not being able to affect the general election.

I'm still holding out hope that the license plate is in support of pubes, otherwise it's time for political electrolysis.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

remusclaw posted:

You could load them with weighted nets. Probably cheaper than actually getting one loaded with a missile or working gun.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Does the drone then proceed to reel him up and fly him to the police station?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Does the drone then proceed to reel him up and fly him to the police station?

No, it's a BatDrone - it leaves him there, tied up, for the cops to collect.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's Mayor Bernie Sanders in 1988 talking about his ideal Presidential candidate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Just like a politician to describe himself.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

But Wall Street owns this country. Why does Bernie Sanders want a president who'll stand up for Wall Street?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Slow Graffiti posted:

Gonna take this as anti-waxing. He or she is not wrong.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

God, I hate anti-waxxers.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

During his work as a Senator he toed the line but he also literally went and volunteered to go teach poor Mexican kids who couldn't go to college because of their race.

According to NPR http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/04/11/395302391/5-things-you-should-know-about-hillary-clinton:

1) Hillary Clinton volunteered to provide free childcare for migrant laborers as a teenager.

2) provided free legal services to the poor while studying at Yale.

3) after moving to Arkansas she continued to donate legal expertise to the needy by confounding the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families.

She apparently also lead outreach to minority communities in her husbands first run for the Arkansas legislature and pounded the pavement personally to register blacks and Hispanics to vote.

Is this where calling bill the "first black president" comes from? A targeted strategy at GOTV in minority communities?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That, and he was a cool mofo that played Jazz.

Also some stuff about fighting for their interests. Not too tough after Reagan et all brushed them aside completely.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Pretty awesome. I can't really understand why anyone would bother with Hillary when you have someone like Sanders running.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, it isn't hard to come off as a friend to minorities when the other guy spent a half century being a senile old shitter who insisted he wasn't racist while doing poo poo like kicking off his presidential campaign in Philadelphia, MS, by giving a speech about states' rights.

My heart and the facts tell me Reagan was one racist old coot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Enigma89 posted:

Pretty awesome. I can't really understand why anyone would bother with Hillary when you have someone like Sanders running.

Because Sanders ain't gonna be in the actual election.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because Sanders ain't gonna be in the actual election.

As an aside, for all of us dying to throw our votes away vote for Bernie in the hopes of putting real leftist issues in the spotlight, www.berniesanders.com is now officially taking donations for his campaign. :toot:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I hope only that Bernie is not going to try to go full Nader if (when) he does not win the primary. I have no opposition to pushing Hillary leftwards, of course, especially since she seems to be glancing that way already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, it isn't hard to come off as a friend to minorities when the other guy spent a half century being a senile old shitter who insisted he wasn't racist while doing poo poo like kicking off his presidential campaign in Philadelphia, MS, by giving a speech about states' rights.

My heart and the facts tell me Reagan was one racist old coot.

Before he was senile he ran a campaign against the Fair Housing Act.

• Locked thread