Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Centripetal Horse posted:

Huh, I'd assumed Lord Flashheart was a fictional character.

I've read this guy's autobiography. He was pretty cool. He shot down 12 german aircraft in WWII, "missed out" on Korea (and was pissed about it) and then went to Vietnam where he flew 152 missions and shot down 4 Vietnamese jets and masterminded a strategy to lure Vietnamese fighters out from hiding and shoot them down prior to and during Wild Weasel missions to protect said Wild Weasels. Per his autobiography, he intentionally avoided shooting down more than 4 total aircraft during the campaign because one of his superiors had remarked a few times that if he made Ace in Vietnam he would be recalled home as a "national treasure" or some such bullshit.

Also, how could you post about him and not include this picture:

If you look at his right hip you'll see that he carried a loving revolver in the cockpit. I can't remember if it was a .38 or a .44 but it is briefly touched on in his book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

All military pilots carry a pistol.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Per his autobiography, he intentionally avoided shooting down more than 4 total aircraft during the campaign because one of his superiors had remarked a few times that if he made Ace in Vietnam he would be recalled home as a "national treasure" or some such bullshit.

A perfect summation of the Vietnam War

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bombadilillo posted:

All military pilots carry a pistol.

But not usually a revolver.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But not usually a revolver.

Air Force pilots in Viet Nam did, usually a Smith and Wesson Model 15.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I just had to look up aces after the Robin Olds-chat and stumbled upon this fella:

Erich Hartmann, the ace of aces, with a confirmed 352 kills. Three hundred and fifty two. Remember, you're an ace after 'only' 5.

wiki posted:

During the course of his career, Hartmann was forced to crash-land his damaged fighter 14 times due to damage received from parts of enemy aircraft he had just shot down or mechanical failure. Hartmann was never shot down or forced to land due to enemy fire.
:stare:
I think this dude was some literal fighter pilot god or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cgfreak posted:

I just had to look up aces after the Robin Olds-chat and stumbled upon this fella:

Erich Hartmann, the ace of aces, with a confirmed 352 kills. Three hundred and fifty two. Remember, you're an ace after 'only' 5.

Much like in Battlefield, a really really good pilot didn't do much to affect the course of the war.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

cgfreak posted:

Jesus, this is like the main character from some kind of fighter pilot videogame. :stare: :black101:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

quote:

wiki posted:

During the course of his career, Hartmann was forced to crash-land his damaged fighter 14 times due to damage received from parts of enemy aircraft he had just shot down or mechanical failure. Hartmann was never shot down or forced to land due to enemy fire.

I'm picturing this guy blowing up so many enemy planes that dodging all the shrapnel created by it becomes like a bullet hell game.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Most Luftwaffe aces got the majority of their kills against extremely poorly trained Russian pilots-- not that shooting down 352 (or whatever the proportion of Russian/Western pilots was) is unimpressive, and there were certainly some well-trained pilots in there.

Hans-Joachim Marseille on the other hand shot down all but 7 of his 158 kills against the Commonwealth forces in Africa, most of whom received a fair bit more training than their Russian comrades.

FInally, Germany was known to have fairly lax standards for confirming kills compared to their contemporaries in WWII.

Again, these guys shot down a shitload of fighters in very dangerous combat and were undoubtedly the most skilled fighter pilots in the war by a wide margin, but the numbers do need some context.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

New thread title is pretty great

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Most Luftwaffe aces got the majority of their kills against extremely poorly trained Russian pilots-- not that shooting down 352 (or whatever the proportion of Russian/Western pilots was) is unimpressive, and there were certainly some well-trained pilots in there.

This is a very important point to consider. A list of the top all-time flying aces consists almost entirely of pilots who faced soviet planes, largely because the soviets had some exceptionally lovely airframes early in the war. Case in point, one of the few non-germans to top that list is a Finn, Ilmari Juutilainen pictured below, who also faced soviet aircraft but was never once hit by enemy fire, never lost a wingmate despite sometimes using an almost-as-lovely plane, the Buffalo Brewster, and used basic tactics to score 94 confirmed kills (126 alledged) despite being regularly outnumbered during his sorties.

Click for wiki

Another Finnish ace, Jorma Karhunen, was quoted as saying this re: russian planes: "The Brewster model 239 was good against the older Russian fighters, Polikarpov I-153 Chaika (Gull) and I-16. Hence the period 1941–42 was the best time for us. In 1943 it was already significantly more difficult when the Russians began to use their newer fighters against us... Later, with the Yaks, Hurricanes, Tomahawks, LaGG-3 and MiGs, it became a fight to the death."

Elwood P. Dowd is definitely right about needing some context here.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
How about some badass engineering: the highest bridge in the world.

Like other suspension bridges, a pilot cable must cross the span first to act as a guide before the main cables can be installed. Because they could not use helicopters or boats like other bridges, rockets were used instead.

mrkillboy has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Apr 30, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Much like in Battlefield, a really really good pilot didn't do much to affect the course of the war.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

mrkillboy posted:

Like other suspension bridges, a pilot cable must cross the span first to act as a guide before the main cables can be installed. Because they could not use helicopters or boats like other bridges, rockets were used instead.

Because of the perspective in the first photo the right-hand side of the bridge looks like it's just floating in mid-air.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

mrkillboy posted:

Please tell me there's a video of this.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Radio Help posted:

Please tell me there's a video of this.

This is the best that could find.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to believe this was an intentional shot.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Say Nothing posted:

With the amounts of bullets fired by people at other people, it was bound to happen eventually.

Much like the infinite monkeys on infinite typewriters, except far more violent.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I like to believe that the one bullet dove in front of the other to save a friend. Friend is possibly a cop bullet, retiring soon.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Years ago, my godfather gave me a pair of US civil war bullets that had collided, apparently they're fairly common.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

mrkillboy posted:

This is the best that could find.

awesome, thanks. whoever fired that had the coolest job in the world for a second, there

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

GWBBQ posted:

Years ago, my godfather gave me a pair of US civil war bullets that had collided, apparently they're fairly common.

-ly made as souvenirs for people back home.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
ok it's not strictly a picture, but on the topic of war badasses I thought you might like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

here's his opening paragraph on wikipedia

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Fair Hallion posted:

ok it's not strictly a picture, but on the topic of war badasses I thought you might like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

here's his opening paragraph on wikipedia

I imagine this man was almost entirely moustache.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

mrkillboy posted:

This is far from the first time rockets were at least considered for the pilot cable. In 1847, when Charles Ellett, Jr., won the bid to start construction on the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge, his initial idea was to use rockets. Other ideas that were thrown out included tying a wire to a bombshell to be fired from a cannon or using a steamship to navigate the rapids, either of which would have been bad rear end.

Instead, they went with a kite-flying contest. In the middle of winter.

The Canadian side had the right wind for it, so
15-year-old American boy Homan Walsh crossed via ferry two miles upstream of the area before walking atop the cliff face back to the site. He had to wait a day for the winds to be right, then flew his kite until midnight, when the wind died. The kite started to fall to the American side of the river, but the line broke. The ferries had stopped running, Walsh couldn't go back for eight days. When he finally did, he grabbed his kite, went back to the Canadian side, and successfully landed the kite. His reward? :10bux: (equivalent to about $300 today) and a wonderful memory.

A bit bad rear end and a bit cute.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

Vindolanda posted:

-ly made as souvenirs for people back home.

So this isn't even real? I mean drat the probability has to be so low for that to even happen.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
There were some instances on the Eastern Front of WW2 of artillery shells from opposing sides colliding in mid-air, indiscriminately showering both the German and Russian troops with hot shrapnel. If that can happen, bullets colliding with each other is not out of the question either.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Shells are an awful lot bigger and (IIRC) slower.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

HonorableTB posted:

There were some instances on the Eastern Front of WW2 of artillery shells from opposing sides colliding in mid-air, indiscriminately showering both the German and Russian troops with hot shrapnel. If that can happen, bullets colliding with each other is not out of the question either.

I mean, it's not "out of the question" for it to happen, but you've got a whole string of coincidences that have to come together. Napoleonic era mashed together musket or cannon balls are a lot more likely that smokeless era bullets, which would have to hit each other hard enough to stick but not to fragment, would have to be found, kept and got home. Each of those, quite apart from the ridiculous odds of two bullets hitting, makes it much more likely that an enterprising chap in a foxhole knocked it together with a drill.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I imagine this man was almost entirely moustache.

It doesn't sound like there was a lot else left.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Shells are an awful lot bigger and (IIRC) slower.

Being slower doesn't change the odds of their paths intersecting.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Also I would think bullets would be more likely than shells just based on pure volume fired.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Slime posted:

Being slower doesn't change the odds of their paths intersecting.

Being slower should linearly increase the odds of path intersections as the object spends more time occupying the battlefield.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

Depends on how you define "common" exactly but yeah if you put enough poo poo in the air and have it fly around pieces of it are guaranteed to smack into each other at some point. That's especially true of Civil War-era tactics when you had bunches of dudes standing in lines firing at each other.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Swimming in the ocean
edit: the ship spit out a bunch of seamen

canyoneer has a new favorite as of 18:52 on May 2, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Swimming in the ocean

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian to Laytee, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb.

Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour.
On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He's a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again.

\

So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_op16ZWh3sE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

canyoneer posted:

Swimming in the ocean

This is the dirtiest loving thing in the world.

The water around the opening is all that gross rainbow water you get from oil, it's disgusting. I did this off the coast of Australia and we had a bunch of Marines get really sick for a few weeks. Why anyone thinks it's enjoyable is beyond me.