Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've got 11 more days left in my trial and I don't think a Steam sale is going to happen any time soon so I'll just bite the bullet and pick up a copy. That said, what's the cheapest way to get YNAB? Use a referral chain link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Use the dude selling it in SA mart for 22ish

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but wanted to be sure.

If I have a closed account with a Credit Card that I'm still paying off, do I move it to closed or leave it in the open? I assume closed because I can't use that card anymore.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but wanted to be sure.

If I have a closed account with a Credit Card that I'm still paying off, do I move it to closed or leave it in the open? I assume closed because I can't use that card anymore.

If it's closed but has debt, then it should be an Off Budget account. Once it's completely zeroed then you close it in YNAB.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Gothmog1065 posted:

If it's closed but has debt, then it should be an Off Budget account. Once it's completely zeroed then you close it in YNAB.

Heh. I totally meant Off Budget too when I had it in my head. Thanks for the answer :) Just confirming so I can keep things right.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

SaltLick posted:

Use the dude selling it in SA mart for 22ish

I can't find the thread, do you have a link?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Is there a guide for how to actually enter every single dumb transaction? Do you do it all daily? Weekly? As you spend? What happens if you forget to budget for a month or two?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

Is there a guide for how to actually enter every single dumb transaction? Do you do it all daily? Weekly? As you spend? What happens if you forget to budget for a month or two?

I always play catch up on my budget on a weekly basis. And by weekly I mean when we get paid. So when (if) I get this new job, I'll do it two to three times a month. When the wife gets paid (every other week) and when I get paid (End of the Month).

I'm still using YNAB wrong, however, because it's been hard for us to catch up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

baby puzzle posted:

I work a corporate job which affords me several hours of free time a day that I choose not to always advance my projects. I usually take fifteen minutes every day or two to reconcile and add new transactions I missed by going to all my bank sites.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

I work a corporate job which affords me several hours of free time a day that I choose not to always advance my projects. I usually take fifteen minutes every day or two to reconcile and add new transactions I missed by going to all my bank sites.

Same. I'm an office drone and I usually check my bank every day for new / cleared transactions.

YNAB is the first finance software I've ever reconciled and I usually do that every day too just to keep up :feelsgood:

That said, I have a really simple setup. One bank, all spending from checking, etc.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 12, 2015

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I do my best to log transactions as they happen, then I reconcile as I get paid.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

I can't find the thread, do you have a link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've used him a couple times for games.
Good deals.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I enter most things on my phone as I do them (especially all the cash transactions). I keep receipts for anything that needs to be split (like a grocery store trip where I bought cat items), and I compare against my online accounts in the middle and at the end of the month.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Karthe posted:

I've got 11 more days left in my trial and I don't think a Steam sale is going to happen any time soon so I'll just bite the bullet and pick up a copy. That said, what's the cheapest way to get YNAB? Use a referral chain link?

YNAB has a free student version.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I enter transactions about once a week and that seems to work fine. When I was first getting started, though, I did it daily.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

baby puzzle posted:

With the phone app I do it right after almost every transaction and refuse the receipt. I just have one bank account and spend from checking so it's easily a five minute process reconciling on the weekend. I'm starting to feel like I want to invest or something now because YNAB has gotten kind of boring.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Bought from him, really easy.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I pretty much just started YNAB this month, and I love it. I feel like I'm pretty close to rule 4 already, perhaps another month or so. I've basically budgeted too much income for April. I'm realizing that I'm going to have close to 1500 that I've already assigned to categories, that I'm going to roll over to May. My question is, should I un-budget that extra 1500 or so, most of which is in rainy day funds that I didn't tap into, and put that towards actual monthly expenses? If so, is there a way to put it back into the budget as income for May, or should I just let the categories roll over, and re-assign it to the required expenses on May 1st?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Let categories roll over. If a category gets too large (like gas) just don't fund it for a month and put that money someplace else. When it needs money again just fund it again

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I had a wonderful moment last night.
I realize I get paid tomorrow and haven't thought about that whatsoever for almost a month.
Wonderful feeling. Tomorrow pays for all of May, pay in May pays for June and woohoo I'm at Rule 4.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I use ofxclient (http://forum.youneedabudget.com/discussion/18279/ofxclient-to-help-with-ofx-direct-download-transactions) to auto download for most of my accounts that support it. Otherwise, I import weekly.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

gariig posted:

Let categories roll over. If a category gets too large (like gas) just don't fund it for a month and put that money someplace else. When it needs money again just fund it again

OK. I get that I can let the categories roll over, I guess I'm really asking if I should have any money in my rainy day funds at all if I could just re-budget that money towards next months bills. Once I have all the bills budgeted for next month, then I can begin filling the rainy day categories. As it stands right now, I have 1500 bucks budgeted for things like car repairs and home maintenance, but nothing budgeted yet for next month's mortgage payment. I'm not exactly worried about paying my mortgage, but I feel like I should get myself a month ahead on my fixed expenses before I start putting money in the "just in case" categories.

After typing all of that, I'm realizing that I can just pay my fixed expenses with my next checks and I've got 1500 already budgeted into my rainy day funds that I shouldn't have to fund anymore. I'll just start assigning income to June once I've got it all caught up. Something about that still feels wrong, but I can always pull money from those categories if I'm somehow behind on my car payment or something.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I just keep reinstalling the trial when it runs out. I'm a bum.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Dustoph posted:

I just keep reinstalling the trial when it runs out. I'm a bum.

It'll probably go on sale this May/June (projected Steam sale timeframe) and at $25 or $15 or w/e it goes to, it's probably worth it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Question re: getting to rule 4

I'm pretty good about budget amounts. I budget $230 for gas, I spend $220. Budget $300 for groceries, hit about $290. Budget $500 to go into my various rainy day funds etc and everything's cool.

Should I be throwing an extra X% into my regular categories so I'm eventually actually pulling out of the previous months excess? I'm totally doing this wrong, I think.

e: also the iPad app has a sweet feature where if you overspend in a category and tap on the overspend, it asks you what category you want to move budget from, rather than the desktop app which gives you options of "remove from next months available to budget"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rule 4 isn't about individual categories, its about having every penny you need for May ready to go on April 30.
If you are building up excess in your categories and aren't at rule 4, stop putting money into those categories, create a "rule 4" category, and build it up until you have an entire month's budget in it. Then pull the money from that category to pay for the month while marking your income in that month as income for next month. Voila, rule 4.

Rule 4 is when you get to stop thinking about paydays and juggling bills during the month.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Found the video for rule 4 setting up a hidden buffer category etc etc and I now understand what I was doing wrong.

Got it all sorted out now. Thanks.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've put myself into a strange situation in YNAB and I need help figuring out how to nuke some inadvertent "overspending". I put it in quotes because everything I've "overspent" on was monthly bills that most definitely got paid, so it's not like I didn't have the money.

Here's the deal: I started using YNAB a little over a month ago. I backdated my starting balances (three accounts: checking, and two credit cards) to the 13th, and then added in the next few days worth of expenses. Everything reconciled, and things seemed to be off to a good start. That left me with about $700 to budget into the rest of March's various spending categories.

I get paid on the 10th and the 25th of each month. Because I like YNAB's Rule 4 I decided to push March's 25th paycheck to April and then take from my savings an amount equal to it and mark it too as "income for April" so that I could mark April 10th's and 25th's checks as income for May. I also receive checks from my girlfriend (around the 5th of each month) and roommates (around the 21st of each month) to cover their share of rent + various utilities. Also, since we have to prepay rent, next month's rent hits the current month's budget. Everything has been working out fine financially, but my scenario is wreaking havoc with YNAB's way of budgeting.

This perfect storm of cash inflow and outflow now has me sitting with an overbudgeted balance of -$1134.01 for April. April's been perfectly budgeted, though, and it's bumming me out seeing a big red "OVERBUDGETED" when I've been diligently following April's budget.

What should I do to clear up this discrepancy? I'm moving at the end of May so I might just start fresh on June 1st to put March's ugly start behind me...

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Could you just adjust your initial starting balance from your savings by -$1134.01 and then categorize your bank transfer as "income for April"?

A transfer in YNAB won't effect your monthly income since YNAB doesn't care where your money is (checking/savings).

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Could you just adjust your initial starting balance from your savings by -$1134.01 and then categorize your bank transfer as "income for April"?

A transfer in YNAB won't effect your monthly income since YNAB doesn't care where your money is (checking/savings).
I don't have any savings accounts on-budget to pull from, everything is kept in checking. I COULD just mark a transfer from my off-budget "temp savings" account (which miraculously has the exact balance I need to even out March) but then my checking account won't reconcile.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Out of curiousity, how long did it take most people to fulfill rule 4?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Karthe posted:

I've put myself into a strange situation in YNAB and I need help figuring out how to nuke some inadvertent "overspending". I put it in quotes because everything I've "overspent" on was monthly bills that most definitely got paid, so it's not like I didn't have the money.

Here's the deal: I started using YNAB a little over a month ago. I backdated my starting balances (three accounts: checking, and two credit cards) to the 13th, and then added in the next few days worth of expenses. Everything reconciled, and things seemed to be off to a good start. That left me with about $700 to budget into the rest of March's various spending categories.

I get paid on the 10th and the 25th of each month. Because I like YNAB's Rule 4 I decided to push March's 25th paycheck to April and then take from my savings an amount equal to it and mark it too as "income for April" so that I could mark April 10th's and 25th's checks as income for May. I also receive checks from my girlfriend (around the 5th of each month) and roommates (around the 21st of each month) to cover their share of rent + various utilities. Also, since we have to prepay rent, next month's rent hits the current month's budget. Everything has been working out fine financially, but my scenario is wreaking havoc with YNAB's way of budgeting.

This perfect storm of cash inflow and outflow now has me sitting with an overbudgeted balance of -$1134.01 for April. April's been perfectly budgeted, though, and it's bumming me out seeing a big red "OVERBUDGETED" when I've been diligently following April's budget.

What should I do to clear up this discrepancy? I'm moving at the end of May so I might just start fresh on June 1st to put March's ugly start behind me...
I'm a fan of not starting in the middle of a month.

And I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean. Its probably transfers vs transactions in some way. Id probably start over May 1st.

ElGroucho posted:

It varies a *ton* from instant to a month to years.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

ElGroucho posted:

I'm a jerk and it was right away for me. I was just sick of quicken and wanted to get into tracking individual category/balance tracking. We got into a bad habbit of spending to bank balance instead of earmarking money for things. So far it's been helpful!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess what I mean is, what was the time necessary to save up that buffer?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

ElGroucho posted:

I guess what I mean is, what was the time necessary to save up that buffer?

This totally depends on a person's costs and a person's income. There's no real standard for it. Basically, figure out the maximum you can save each month without driving yourself insane and you'll figure out how long it will take you.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I get a sweet bonus from work every ~March. Boom. Rule four taken care of.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It took me about four months. It would have been longer but I made up the difference with a chunk of my savings that I then replenished later.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

I get a sweet bonus from work every ~March. Boom. Rule four taken care of.

Yeah, it's a real struggle not to drop the extra money from a quarterly bonus on a debt instead of the buffer, but this system has been working for me so far, I'm going to stick to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Kind of a weird question, but I hope you guys can help me out. I'm currently living off savings (as I am a poor grad student), with two small paychecks coming in monthly from my part-time job and another monthly check from one of my parental units (who refuses to stop giving me money, and I've tried to make her stop), all of which goes into the savings account and gets withdrawn at the beginning of the next month. Obviously, YNAB doesn't like this weird situation, and when I try and set up the budget for the next month, it insists that I'm overbudgeted. How do I get it to understand that withdrawing money from my savings is technically income?