Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Jeff Samardzija you mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Mornacale posted:

seriously what the gently caress is wrong with him this year?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope none of you were starting Shane Green :v:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mornacale posted:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

seriously what the gently caress is wrong with him this year?

:saddowns::hf::saddowns::hf::saddowns:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm confused, is it the (lack of) strikeouts? Because before last year he wasn't really a great pitcher.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm confused, is it the (lack of) strikeouts? Because before last year he wasn't really a great pitcher.

The last three years he's been a K/IP guy with a serviceable ERA. I (and likely others) thought moving to the SOX would mean a continuation of that with Wins. Small Sample size but as of this post he's not having a good day in BAL and I am underwhelmed with him so far.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I have Machado, Chris Davis and Caleb Joseph. The 4 runs, 2 hr, 6 rbi (so far) balance out starting Samardzija I guess.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

I (and likely others) thought moving to the SOX would mean a continuation of that with Wins.

wut

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What do you do with slumping players in roto leagues with games played limits?

I took Jimmy Rollins not expecting much in AVG, but with respectable counting stats (for the position) and he's not cutting it . Same with Chris Carter who seems to be coming around somewhat.

I've been starting Rollins every night hoping something will come of it, but no go. If I can make room on my team, should I just pick up whoever has been hot over the past couple weeks and plug them in? That whole past results don't guarantee future performance thing...

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Shane Greene has gone full pumpkin.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know how to bring a team back from last place ruin, when my players are a collective 0-17 with 6 K's to start the day :negative:

EDIT: 0-19 8 K's

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 29, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

What do you do with slumping players in roto leagues with games played limits?

I took Jimmy Rollins not expecting much in AVG, but with respectable counting stats (for the position) and he's not cutting it . Same with Chris Carter who seems to be coming around somewhat.

I've been starting Rollins every night hoping something will come of it, but no go. If I can make room on my team, should I just pick up whoever has been hot over the past couple weeks and plug them in? That whole past results don't guarantee future performance thing...

The way I feel about it, is you have to be committed to the bit or it doesn't work. The problem with the Chris Carters of the world, is that if you're not fully committed to gluing their fat asses to your roster and saying, "I'll eat the AVG in exchange for 25 HR", then you start trying to guess, and start trying to stream for home runs.

I don't think you can stream home runs. If you only miss 5 homers all year with that strategy and 15 RBI, you have just killed his fantasy value, because his batting average was higher than his season total in those games.

You just accidentally turned a .225/25HR/80RBI guy into a .215/20HR/65RBI guy.

I think you either stick with the strategy, or cut your losses.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Shane Greene has gone full pumpkin.

I've been starting Nate Eovaldi and Drew Hutchison in my super-deep, AL only league.

Fangraphs has never been so wrong...

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

What are thoughts on Jayson Werth?
Someone dropped him in my league. His BABIP is low, but so (more worryingly) is his power right now. After affects of his injury? Just settling in?

Thoughts: Werth is one of the best hitters in baseball, although yes a fair bit of his value comes from walks, and he hits in the middle of a great lineup. Pick him up ASAP and don't read too much into a bad two weeks after missing spring training.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He went for a lot in our H2H auction, he was ranked decently pre-seaon? I dunno what to say besides I was wrong I guess.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

jeff is great if his cutter's working, awful if it's failing. it's that simple.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

He went for a lot in our H2H auction, he was ranked decently pre-seaon? I dunno what to say besides I was wrong I guess.

I was just confused by the "White Sox = more winz" thing mainly, considering they've been as bad as the Twins the last two years.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Kimbrel :negative:

What is it with putting closers in non-save situations that makes them implode? I guess I understand the idea that many athletes are superstitious creatures of habit, and that going in to a game in a different scenario than protecting a lead affects them, but how can it be so drastic?

And maybe I notice it more when it happens than when it doesn't, but it sure seems like more often than not, a non-save situation will end badly.

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008
Trade Hanley for Rendon? One more year after this in a keep-4 keeper league, figuring Hanley loses his SS eligibility next year. I've got Kendrick at 2B and would have to scrape a bare WW to fill in for Hanley at short. Definitely competitive this year.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I wouldn't trade Hanley, who is absolutely raking in a stacked lineup, for a guy on the DL with murky return status. Unless Hanley gets hurt, he will have the same or better trade value later on in the season as he does today, so you can always trade him later if you are out of contention.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Ottavino on the 15-DL. Axford got the save a few days ago.

His MRI shows inflammation in the elbow and triceps. TJS? Abort! Abort! Abort!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would shop hanley to managers with 1st or 2nd rounders that are slumping or not too badly injured. edwin, bautista, and puig would be good gets, i think.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

His MRI shows inflammation in the elbow and triceps. TJS? Abort! Abort! Abort!

The fact he's quote "extremely concerned" doesnt help either

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Sometimes it feels like pitching is a total crapshoot

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Here's a short message to all the folks freaking out about Cutch's knee:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Doltos posted:

The meaning behind the strategy of draft a gently caress you offense and worry about pitching later is built on this reasoning. Pitcher performance is far less sticky compared to hitter performance when evaluating year to year data.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

We all know that guy who thinks he's the smartest one in the room. Let's say you went SP for your first four picks then top closers because you wanted to "lock up" the pitching categories, and went with Kershaw, Bumgarner, Strasburg, Kluber, then Kimbrel and Holland.

You'd have:

IP: 133.1
W/L: 4 - 9
SV: 10
K: 141
ERA: 4.05
WHIP: 1.30

It's a very cherry-picked, but very possible outcome. Then factor in the likelihood of a poor offense, and you have someone dead last. Of course I could do something similar with top hitters, but I don't think that is as drastic.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 30, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Were Kimbrel and Holland generally going that high? I generally don't draft closers that early so I didn't even notice when they went in my non-keeper snakes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

would you trade Corey Kluber and Alex Cobb for Tulo in a H2H league? been mulling around a potential offer for them. my other starters are shoemaker, volquez, quintana, gerritt cole, alfredo simon, julio teheran. I could always just pick up JA Happ.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Go for K:BB ratio and pray. That is my strategy for SPs.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Thats because it is. Long Live Labadini.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

would you trade Corey Kluber and Alex Cobb for Tulo in a H2H league? been mulling around a potential offer for them. my other starters are shoemaker, volquez, quintana, gerritt cole, alfredo simon, julio teheran. I could always just pick up JA Happ.

I feel like none of your other starters give you a shot at winning Ks week to week.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Kimbrel, Holland, and Chapman generally went 50 to 65.

I can't judge too harshly because I have them in most leagues, but I generally drafted bats, closers, bats, and middle relievers.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 30, 2015

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had to cut Eric Hosmer due to some injuries, some guy picked him up and then immediately offered him to me for James Shields.

no

That being said I'd like to trade Shields. He has Chris Davis (3B eligible), Dee Gordon, Zimmermann, and Brantley that are interesting to me. Any deals of interest there? 2B and 3B have been rough (Rendon's injury and Beltre) for me so far, have lots of SP. H2H points.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

blarzgh posted:

I feel like none of your other starters give you a shot at winning Ks week to week.

this is one stat I actually always win, purely due to streaming dudes and also playing people who don't have as many pitchers. as long as I don't pick up dudes like jon niese or something I always get adequate K's.

anyway that deal fell through and the dude acquitted to offering Alex Wood, Brandon Morrow, and Jeurys Familia for Kluber instead.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is joe kelly worth getting? i have no idea what to make of him

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Do you guys know where I can find hard hit baseball statistics.
Chase Utley is an abomination. Except for the fact that his K%, BB%, Contact rates...are all normal!! I cannot figure out if he is literally just starting super hilariously unlucky with his 100BABIP, or if he is tapping the ball into easy plays every single time.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
His LD% is only down a little: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1679&position=2B#battedball

These are from the last few days, not dribblers, kinda unlucky

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/video/v91488583/phistl-jay-makes-running-grab-at-the-track-in-1st

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/video/v95039683/phistl-bourjos-tracks-and-reels-in-utleys-fly-ball

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

euphronius posted:

Go for K:BB ratio and pray. That is my strategy for SPs.

K% - BB% dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Abel Wingnut posted:

is joe kelly worth getting? i have no idea what to make of him

He's sure fuckin intriguing pitcher

His stuff is good

Then every once and a while he MELTS THE gently caress DOWN

• Locked thread