Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Some Anti-Vaxxers are just the worst: http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news...d5c6c5d1db25516

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Apparently Robert Kennedy Jr., noted busybody fuckface, is also an anti-vaxxer who believes that thimerosal causes autism because he "is comfortable reading science" and has read studies on it! Even Bill Maher, with his own crazy-rear end views on the issue, seemed a little put off by it.

Hopefully this means that no one has to give that halfwit the time of day when he pisses and moans about any of his other pet causes, sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What would possess someone to harass grieving parents by defacing a memorial for their dead child? Like, even if some grieving parents were promoting something really disgusting, like say anti-vax, because of their kid's tragic death, I'd never for a minute consider attacking or humiliating them. In fact, I'd feel sorry for them.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well remember the Sandy Hook truthers?

This world sucks a lot sometimes.

Seriously gently caress all these assholes.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 26, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Jack Gladney posted:

What would possess someone to harass grieving parents by defacing a memorial for their dead child? Like, even if some grieving parents were promoting something really disgusting, like say anti-vax, because of their kid's tragic death, I'd never for a minute consider attacking or humiliating them. In fact, I'd feel sorry for them.

My theory is that some people are natural assholes, and are 'acting' nice in society simply because they know others would frown upon their attitude and they would be ostracized from society. Internet allows them to act upon their true nature thanks to the anonymity it provides and they use that to bully others and show their true faces. Since most countries do not have any law regarding these type of behaviors, these people get to act with total impunity. In a few rare case, when these assholes go over the limit and it becomes harassment, judges will force ISP's to divulge the identity of the the person doing the harassment, and they can be sued in civil courts.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy poo poo, the first comment on that article:

quote:

Tonya
19 hours ago

Pertussis is NOT vaccine preventable. You can still get sick but have milder symptoms that aren't identified as pertussis. Most likely the parents acted as silent carriers and infected their baby. This is common knowledge now. I agree with the "antivaxers". Blaming the unvaccinated is unfair when the vaccinated are unknowingly spreading pertussis. Just the facts, some will die and some will live, that's life, move on:)):)):)):)))

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Scathach posted:

Doesn't it warm your heart, knowing you share breathable air on this planet with whoever the gently caress wrote that?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Scathach posted:

"Vaccines don't prevent pertussis they just make it suck less!"

I'm totally OK with that, let's keep doing it. What even was the point of that? "They're lying, pertussis isn't cured by it just reduced!" Yes how terrible that the treatment for a disease actually loving works.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm totally OK with that, let's keep doing it. What even was the point of that? "They're lying, pertussis isn't cured by it just reduced!" Yes how terrible that the treatment for a disease actually loving works.

Did you read the next sentence? If someone has a disease but don't know that they have it because they aren't showing symptoms, that can actually be a really bad thing, especially if they interact with vulnerable populations. The most famous example of someone who had a disease but wasn't showing symptoms is Typhoid Mary.

The commenter is saying that the parents caught pertussis but didn't show symptoms because of the vaccine, leading them to spend time with the baby and infect it, whereas if they hadn't been vaccinated they would have realized they were infected and stayed away. Of course, in reality, vaccines don't work like that, but in that commenter's fantasy world based on what they think is true, the baby's death was actually the vaccine's fault, because that person thibks the vaccine turned the parents into symptomless carriers who unknowingly infected the baby. And since that commenter thinks that the death of the baby was actually the fault of vaccines and could have been avoided if the parents were unvaccinated, he or she is pissed off that mean old evil Big Pharma is using the tragedy as a way to push those same vaccines.

Of course, that's all wrong. Vaccines don't work like that. But how do you expect to debunk an argument you can't understand?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Of course, that's all wrong. Vaccines don't work like that. But how do you expect to debunk an argument you can't understand?

Apparently, with bad spelling and enthusiasm, works for antivaxxers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's like saying "bulletproof vests don't prevent getting shot, they just prevent you from dying from a shot". "So therefore no one should wear bulletproof vests".

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently, with bad spelling and enthusiasm, works for antivaxxers.

Or have an overly emotional Californian scream over the top of all contrary viewpoints.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Some recent hits from the FB feed; it was a big weekend:

http://www.naturalnews.com/049503_GMOs_public_schools_propaganda.html

http://asheepnomore.net/2014/10/01/unvaccinated-children-appear-immune-mysterious-virus-currently-spreading-midwest/

http://vactruth.com/2014/10/05/bill-gates-vaccine-crimes/

http://sharylattkisson.com/what-the-news-isnt-saying-about-vaccine-autism-studies/

And this glorious thing. Yes, they posted it with the sides cropped out.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's like saying "bulletproof vests don't prevent getting shot, they just prevent you from dying from a shot". "So therefore no one should wear bulletproof vests".

You joke but that argument was seriously used during WW2 when head injuries suddenly went up when new helmets were used.

Also the Airforced doesn't know where to place armor.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

WAKE UP AMERICA

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

They're actually so good at stopping shots, that you can walk around with a bullet in you and not even know, until bam! One day you gut-stretchingly overeat and the bullet pops out and kills your undefended newborn.

If only you hadn't worn a vest, this wouldn't have happened.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Does the global vaccine industry seriously only collect 20 billion in revenue annually? I mean that's nothing for an industry related to medicine, even if its just the US, it's got to be more right? :raise:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xoidanor posted:

Does the global vaccine industry seriously only collect 20 billion in revenue annually? I mean that's nothing for an industry related to medicine, even if its just the US, it's got to be more right? :raise:

Probably. That's like $67 per American so in the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge sum of money. It's really really easy to make people freak out about anything with "billion" in it though.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Probably. That's like $67 per American so in the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge sum of money. It's really really easy to make people freak out about anything with "billion" in it though.

If I wanted to make serious bank as a drug company, why would I push out stuff that *prevents* disease? Wouldn't the real money be made in treating symptoms without ever actually curing the person?

I don't have a dollar figure on how much cough syrup is sold annually but I bet *that* is in the billions of dollars worldwide.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Tochiazuma posted:

If I wanted to make serious bank as a drug company, why would I push out stuff that *prevents* disease? Wouldn't the real money be made in treating symptoms without ever actually curing the person?

I don't have a dollar figure on how much cough syrup is sold annually but I bet *that* is in the billions of dollars worldwide.

Remember, that's what the anti-vaxxers (and a lot of "alternative" medicine folks) think is going on anyway. Vaccines are useless or cause disease, so Big Pharma can get more money "treating" those diseases by actually just stifling symptoms while draining the wallet of the people that are suckered by their bunk. Never mind that evidence-based medicine often involves courses of treatments that only have to be done once, while alt-med often requires a lifetime of supplements and "treatments" to "maintain" their benefits at a greater lifetime cost than even some major surgeries, it's Big Pharma that's the evil one just out to make money at the expense of your health.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Tochiazuma posted:

Revenue from alternative medicine is well into the billions these days - it isn't a rational argument.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

eNeMeE posted:

Revenue from alternative medicine is well into the billions these days - it isn't a rational argument.

By all the major drug companies too.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
SB277 passed the Judiciary Committee today. Now it's moving on to Appropriations. I didn't get to hear all the testimony but what I did hear was pretty goddamned insane. Claims that "biological vaccination status is like skin color, you can't discriminate based on that!" and "this will violate my child's right to FAPE" (FAPE is a special education term - Free and Appropriate Public Education, which is guaranteed by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. It's also a ridiculous argument because FAPE doesn't mean your kid gets a free and appropriate public education if you choose to not comply with standard admissions requirements.) Committee chair had to cut off an NYU law professor several times during testimony after she said the requirement was coercion tantamount to rape and then somehow wandered into a fantasy land where parents in California would be jailed for not vaccinating.

The opponents who testified were all quick to point out that their "child with a biological vaccination status of "unvaccinated" isn't a threat or a danger to anyone." An hour after the vote came in (5:1, Anderson's a dumbass who somehow still thinks Catholics can't vaccinate and children who can't be vaccinated due to medical reasons shouldn't be allowed an education), I got a call from my son's school. We have an active pertussis case in a PBE waivered, non-vaccinated student! We also have a medically fragile classroom, with 8 students with severe, complex medical conditions who will now likely all be missing school until the incubation period is passed...so basically up to 21 days from now. Not a threat. Nosirree.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PhazonLink posted:

You joke but that argument was seriously used during WW2 when head injuries suddenly went up when new helmets were used.

Also the Airforced doesn't know where to place armor.

If I remember right, that was one of the classic questions of operations research.

The original plan was to place armor on the parts of planes that were most damaged.

The problem with that is that their sample set included only bombers that survived. The damaged areas on survivors represent non-vital areas.

The decision was made to increase armor on the areas that were undamaged, on the basis that those points were most likely to lead to a destroyed aircraft if hit.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If I remember right, that was one of the classic questions of operations research.

The original plan was to place armor on the parts of planes that were most damaged.

The problem with that is that their sample set included only bombers that survived. The damaged areas on survivors represent non-vital areas.

The decision was made to increase armor on the areas that were undamaged, on the basis that those points were most likely to lead to a destroyed aircraft if hit.

Survivorship bias

Another example: Blood donors are healthier than average so it must be healthy to donate blood. :downs:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Remember, that's what the anti-vaxxers (and a lot of "alternative" medicine folks) think is going on anyway. Vaccines are useless or cause disease, so Big Pharma can get more money "treating" those diseases by actually just stifling symptoms while draining the wallet of the people that are suckered by their bunk. Never mind that evidence-based medicine often involves courses of treatments that only have to be done once, while alt-med often requires a lifetime of supplements and "treatments" to "maintain" their benefits at a greater lifetime cost than even some major surgeries, it's Big Pharma that's the evil one just out to make money at the expense of your health.

Let's also not forget that a significant chunk of "alternative medicines" literally do nothing.

It's the same tactic the right wing uses, actually; do something but then scream nonstop about how the other side does that same thing all the time so they're the ones that can't be trusted.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The cost of a hospitalization if you land in the ICU is $1000+ a day. Medication alone will cost a few hundred. Where the vaccines "make" money is in preventing the serious complications or death. For every 1 person that dies of measles, about 10 have to go to the ICU (~1%) for example.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lote posted:

The cost of a hospitalization if you land in the ICU is $1000+ a day. Medication alone will cost a few hundred. Where the vaccines "make" money is in preventing the serious complications or death. For every 1 person that dies of measles, about 10 have to go to the ICU (~1%) for example.

An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure, as they say.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

FTFY

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
THE VACCINE HOLOCAUST IS HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQfIkCC2x0

How the hell does this guy have one million subscribers.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Parents who try to heal their children through prayer and then have their children die are often prosecuted for manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide. Will this happen when an anti-vaxxer has a child that dies of a vaccine-preventable disease? At least the heal-through-prayer people have a flimsy freedom of religion defense. Anti-vaxxers have nothing.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

il serpente cosmico posted:

Parents who try to heal their children through prayer and then have their children die are often prosecuted for manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide. Will this happen when an anti-vaxxer has a child that dies of a vaccine-preventable disease? At least the heal-through-prayer people have a flimsy freedom of religion defense. Anti-vaxxers have nothing.

Freedom from intellect maybe? I can imagine a lawyer arguing that in court: "Your honor, my clients are idiots who did not know better."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

To Battle posted:

THE VACCINE HOLOCAUST IS HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQfIkCC2x0

How the hell does this guy have one million subscribers.

Alex Jones has forged a commercial and broadcasting empire by successfully and simultaneously marketing to and pandering to essentially every flavor of paranoid conspiracy theory in the united states. If you've ever heard of "Infowars", that's his enterprise.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dalael posted:

Freedom from intellect maybe? I can imagine a lawyer arguing that in court: "Your honor, my clients are idiots who did not know better."

Only works if it's a legitimate medical condition or disability equaling a non compos mentis condition defence. If we're talking a criminal case.

While lack of vaccination could be sufficient to prove negligence, it's kind of hard to argue that it was apparent and inevitable that the child get [disease] if they didn't get a vaccine. After all, there are those with legitimate medical reasons for not vaccinating, and with the benefit from herd immunity they usually don't suffer the disease. Things get even more muddled if the parents were misinformed by a source that they trust; should the courts (for instance) really accept the argument that being misled by a trusted source constitutes negligence? Then, where would you draw that line? When is it negligent to not inform yourself with valid medical science? Is it sufficient that they ignore the advice of a physician? What if they can't afford one (a valid concern in the US)? What if they have a physician who doesn't urge them to vaccinate, or frames it like a choice?

It's really not that simple a case, and I haven't outlined half the potential problems with prosecuting parents for not vaccinating - short of sweeping legislation that defines non-vaccination as child abuse/reckless endangerment etc.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dalael posted:

Negligence has a pretty low mental-state threshold. I'm just looking at Oregon laws here, and they vary from state to state, but here's the definition for criminal negligence:

quote:

Criminal negligence ...means that a person fails to be aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to be aware of it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

So it doesn't matter if you don't know that something is bad if a reasonable person should know that it's bad.

Manslaughter here must involve recklessness, which is more severe than negligence, but also has a relatively low mental-state threshold:

quote:

Recklessly...means that a person is aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

Seems like the state could certainly charge someone if it ever occurs.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Only works if it's a legitimate medical condition or disability equaling a non compos mentis condition defence. If we're talking a criminal case.

While lack of vaccination could be sufficient to prove negligence, it's kind of hard to argue that it was apparent and inevitable that the child get [disease] if they didn't get a vaccine. After all, there are those with legitimate medical reasons for not vaccinating, and with the benefit from herd immunity they usually don't suffer the disease. Things get even more muddled if the parents were misinformed by a source that they trust; should the courts (for instance) really accept the argument that being misled by a trusted source constitutes negligence? Then, where would you draw that line? When is it negligent to not inform yourself with valid medical science? Is it sufficient that they ignore the advice of a physician? What if they can't afford one (a valid concern in the US)? What if they have a physician who doesn't urge them to vaccinate, or frames it like a choice?

It's really not that simple a case, and I haven't outlined half the potential problems with prosecuting parents for not vaccinating - short of sweeping legislation that defines non-vaccination as child abuse/reckless endangerment etc.

Many of these issues could be brought up in a heal-through-prayer case, though, and they are successfully prosecuted.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 30, 2015

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Many of these issues could be brought up in a heal-through-prayer case, though, and they are successfully prosecuted.

Not really?

Assuming their defence is arguing adherence to religious authority/guidance, I can see why that wouldn't be accepted. The argument for recklessness in terms of vaccines disregarding religious exemption would (in the case of manslaughter) have to be an across-the-board requirement for a "reasonable person" to aquire the means and knowledge to vaccinate regardless of misinformation, and I can imagine a great number of extenuating circumstances as well.

Do you imagine such a rule would be clear-cut?

No vaccination = recklessness?

I'm honestly unsure if most states would accept that kind of criminal liability for parents. Then again, I wouldn't know, because I am not a lawyer (in the US).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I was specifically looking at this issue:

Things get even more muddled if the parents were misinformed by a source that they trust; should the courts (for instance) really accept the argument that being misled by a trusted source constitutes negligence?

Say the trusted source is a pastor who's telling you that prayer is all you need to heal your child? Or maybe your coven leader tells you all you need to do is perform a magick to heal your kid? Would you say that denying medical care on the advise of these sources constitutes negligence?

Assuming their defence is arguing adherence to religious authority/guidance, I can see why that wouldn't be accepted. The argument for recklessness in terms of vaccines disregarding religious exemption would (in the case of manslaughter) have to be an across-the-board requirement for a "reasonable person" to aquire the means and knowledge to vaccinate regardless of misinformation, and I can imagine a great number of extenuating circumstances as well.

Do you imagine such a rule would be clear-cut?

No vaccination = recklessness?

I'm honestly unsure if most states would accept that kind of criminal liability for parents. Then again, I wouldn't know, because I am not a lawyer (in the US).

I think you'd need to look at it case-by-case. Obviously, if someone has no access to medical care they should not be held culpable. If they'd been advised by a doctor not to vaccinate they should not be held culpable. But that isn't the case with most anti-vaxxers, I'd guess.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 30, 2015

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So on a related note, what happens in cases where one parent wants to vaccinate and the other doesn't, assuming both parents have some form of custody? Would the pro-vaxxer parent get in trouble for getting the kids vaccinated against the wishes of the anti-vaxxer parent?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I was specifically looking at this issue:

Say the trusted source is a pastor who's telling you that prayer is all you need to heal your child? Or maybe your coven leader tells you all you need to do is perform a magick to heal your kid? Would you say that denying medical care on the advise of these sources constitutes negligence?

Well, yeah. But what if the authority is someone claiming to have medical knowledge? What if it's a chiropractor or a acupuncturist? Is it reasonable to trust them? How about a anti-vax campaign? Celebrity? Actual doctor warning you against vaccines and citing bogus (but to you, genuine) studies to back up his claim?

And even then, given an unreasonable response and negligence on part of the parents; is this a level of recklessness sufficient to pursue manslaughter-charges? Or should it be prosecuted as reckless child endangerment? Child neglect? I'd assume the US has enough criminal codes that apply to child neglect and endangerment that there are several possible charges to be brought against the parents - and the applications I imagine would vary depending on the severity of recklessness shown.

But cutting down to the bone: Is not vaccinating by itself negligent (legally speaking)? Is it reckless? Wilful disregard? Intentional?

Not giving required care is most certainly medical neglect, and pray-for-health cases have correctly been brought against the parents in such cases, but not giving required care has a guaranteed outcome. Not vaccinating doesn't. Not until the problem is widespread enough for herd immunity to significantly weaken - ironically leading to not vaccinating being more negligent/reckless than before.

Not being an american lawyer, I really can't answer most of these questions but if you're going to claim (and equivocate) that non-vaccination is by itself a criminal act or omission, then those questions have to be answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Solkanar512 posted:

So on a related note, what happens in cases where one parent wants to vaccinate and the other doesn't, assuming both parents have some form of custody? Would the pro-vaxxer parent get in trouble for getting the kids vaccinated against the wishes of the anti-vaxxer parent?

I was discussing anti-vaxx with my younger sibling last night and they brought up this same scenario, as well as if the parent of an ill child could sue the parent of an unvaccinated child if proven they were the source of the ill child's infection.

Sibling also sent me this, referring to what Fionnoula was talking about earlier namely equating vaccination and rape and how frustratingly STUPID that is.

• Locked thread