Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
2lt + Sharpie = 1lt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

ManMythLegend posted:

Is the normal size, or one of the larger ones?

Larger ones I believe. Don't really take a sharpie to it but that would be hilarious.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

White Chocolate posted:

Larger ones I believe. Don't really take a sharpie to it but that would be hilarious.

I wore sharpie rank until I got rained on and found out.

But I was out of give a poo poo before I hit 1LT so choose your boat.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Now I am doing my annual"so you have been selected to go to ECT(JRTC)" speech to my Soldiers as if it was a surprise that when they don't show up to battle assembly or answer their phones that they don't get to pick their ECT dates from the three sets dates that we have been given for our two JRTC missions this year and the little BS mission to Fort Dix that we are not sending people to.

Oh you didn't know that you had to do AT? Well let me tell you something, you signed a contract. Some people don't get a chance to choose between a 21 day mission, a 33 day mission and a 2 week one, and we gave you options, you never gave us anything so now you are going away for 33 days...

But seriously private, show up for BA and you will probably get a better chance of the dates you want than otherwise, especially in a huge unit like this of 204 people.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Now I am doing my annual"so you have been selected to go to ECT(JRTC)" speech to my Soldiers as if it was a surprise that when they don't show up to battle assembly or answer their phones that they don't get to pick their ECT dates from the three sets dates that we have been given for our two JRTC missions this year and the little BS mission to Fort Dix that we are not sending people to.

Oh you didn't know that you had to do AT? Well let me tell you something, you signed a contract. Some people don't get a chance to choose between a 21 day mission, a 33 day mission and a 2 week one, and we gave you options, you never gave us anything so now you are going away for 33 days...

But seriously private, show up for BA and you will probably get a better chance of the dates you want than otherwise, especially in a huge unit like this of 204 people.

To be fair, it's possible to have a complete year without going to AT so long as you reach 48 UTAs.

TBH if you're a Joe working a lovely job, then a 33 day AT is better than a 21 day one because it actually counts as a mobilization and you get full title 10 benefits.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

To be fair, it's possible to have a complete year without going to AT so long as you reach 48 UTAs.

TBH if you're a Joe working a lovely job, then a 33 day AT is better than a 21 day one because it actually counts as a mobilization and you get full title 10 benefits.

Except if you're in my loving conniving unit.

The only have a "three week" AT, bookended by two four-day drills.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah that's technically illegal, but good luck finding anyone at your Brigade or command who cares.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Wasabi the J posted:

Did I mention that one was bookended by a 3 day BA and that ECT starts on the 3rd day of that BA do everyone going then has to RST at some point in time.

psydude posted:

Yeah that's technically illegal, but good luck finding anyone at your Brigade or command who cares.

How would you fight this? A lot of my Soldiers are having problems because they signed up for 2 weeks a year not 3-4 weeks every year. Not even worth it?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Did I mention that one was bookended by a 3 day BA and that ECT starts on the 3rd day of that BA do everyone going then has to RST at some point in time.

How would you fight this? A lot of my Soldiers are having problems because they signed up for 2 weeks a year not 3-4 weeks every year. Not even worth it?

Realistically? Drop an IG complaint and hope the investigating officer is bored enough to work on it before it gets buried under a ton of other poo poo. That's if anyone at IG is even listening/monitoring the complaints, but who knows how that'll turn out?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
MOTSU is gay, these 1.explosive connexes are gay, I'm gay

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Most of this fuckery takes place at the brigade level, because they're usually the ones who process ADOS tours and they want to hog all of that poo poo so they can jack off in the office for 2 months at a time. You're a company commander, so your senior rater is the brigade commander. Go to him/her and explain what's happening. Yeah, you're only a 1LT so the brigade staff is probably going to tell you go shove a stick up your rear end, but O6 is like the first rank at which full-time DA civilians working in headquarters start to actually pay attention and get nervous, so as long as the BDE CDR is on your side you should be good.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 28, 2015

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Most of this fuckery takes place at the brigade level, because they're usually the ones who process ADOS tours and they want to hog all of that poo poo so they can jack off in the office for 2 months at a time. You're a company commander, so your senior rater is the brigade commander. Go to him/her and explain what's happening. Yeah, you're only a 1LT so the brigade staff is probably going to tell you go shove a stick up your rear end, but O6 is like the first rank at which full-time DA civilians working in headquarters start to actually pay attention and get nervous, so as long as the BDE CDR is on your side you should be good.

Truth. Don't let anyone pull the "you're just a lieutenant" thing on you; if they trusted yo enough to make you a commander, you're a commander. You're responsible for that unit. If people are loving with your unit, you have a right to be heard by your own higher commanders.

Also psydude, could you provide the relevant regulation on piggybacking battle assemblies on the ends of AT? I'd like to research that issue in more depth.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Also psydude, could you provide the relevant regulation on piggybacking battle assemblies on the ends of AT? I'd like to research that issue in more depth.

Yeah my last CO went on a whole rant about it once; let me dig it up. For as much as a sociopath as he was, he knew his regs. If you're in the 411th or 412th you probably know him.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Yeah my last CO went on a whole rant about it once; let me dig it up. For as much as a sociopath as he was, he knew his regs. If you're in the 411th or 412th you probably know him.

411th/412th TECs? I actually might; I was in a unit under 412th until late 2010.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It Came From Facebook:

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

White Chocolate posted:

... huge unit like this of 204 203 people.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Justin Tyme posted:

It Came From Facebook:

Retired in 1998. They still do this huh?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ohhhhh yeah. Except it's power lines.

SGMs lose their goddamn minds though, so it's basically a way of loving everyone in the area with lovely details and bullshit punishments for the next week after you're gone.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

not caring here posted:

Ohhhhh yeah. Except it's power lines.

SGMs lose their goddamn minds though, so it's basically a way of loving everyone in the area with lovely details and bullshit punishments for the next week after you're gone.

The best part is that they are deployed right now so that's probably a good sized chunk of rear-D that left. Or it was one dude who never foresees needing boots ever again.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I had a TLP class at the maneuver center of excellence that they give to OCS and WLC and they use the WoW Leeroy Jenkins YouTube video in one of their slides. Apparently Leeroy is actually in the army and stationed here at Harmony Church right now but that could just be some bullshit the instructor told us.

I'm also interested to see if we'll break 1000 power point slides from classes by the end of OCS.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
so people really do call it the maneuver center of excellence? that caught on?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, that plaster that poo poo over everything. MCoE this, MCoE that. Pronounced Em-Koe.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
We just call it building 4, but yeah it's plastered all over everything. Some instructors even have a little mcoe pin they wear on their acus by their name tape

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mustang posted:

We just call it building 4, but yeah it's plastered all over everything. Some instructors even have a little mcoe pin they wear on their acus by their name tape

thats extremely dumb as gently caress

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I had Infantry Hall staff duty as an OCS candidate in 2007 and nearly made the CG poo poo himself when I called the building to attention at COB. Those fuckers in the far wings could hear me, and my drill sergeant spontaneously popped a boner across base.

MCoE is gay as hell.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Yup it's all over the place, Fort Rucker is home of the USAACE - US Army Aviation Center of Excellence.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Leonard Wood has MANSCEN which sounds like another maneuver center but is actually Maneuver Support Center - so basically Engineers, MPs and Chemical. We did a joint exercise with the MPs for CCC. The MPs were terrible; Engineers, like FA, learn direct coordination with maneuver in the direct fight from the beginning; MPs never do so they basically had no idea what a brigade-level force-on-force fight is like.

On top of that, that Congresswoman from Hawaii, Tulsi Gabbard was in my class - They made her the Brigade XO since she's a Congresswoman (there is no commander; it's a staff exercise) and she basically didn't do jack the entire exercise except talk on her BlackBerry about Congresswoman poo poo in the hallway.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Fires Center... of excellence

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

psydude posted:

Yeah I am a PL again but I will have to get my Commander who seems sympathetic and is trying to get the second rotation cancelled to get on this.

I just hate that it is always hurting the best Soldiers- the ones that need the time the most, and when they announced the change we had a heart to heart and this guy has to take care of his family and all of this time away is going to hurt him really badly with his civilian salary being so much more than his military salary.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just got started on a med board that I didn't think was ever going to happen. Realistically, what sort of time line can I expect? The recommending surgeon told me 3-6 months but I feel like that's rather optimistic.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pesticide20 posted:

I just got started on a med board that I didn't think was ever going to happen. Realistically, what sort of time line can I expect? The recommending surgeon told me 3-6 months but I feel like that's rather optimistic.

Are you getting out? Medboard isn't a surefire medical retirement. I got out, and it took me 18 months to get all the way through but I was an extremely long case for some reason. Don't ever trust what the IDES website says. If you don't know what the IDES website is, it's a website that gives you an estimated time left until your medboard is complete. Mine said 210 days for about 210 days, and then one day it dropped to zero, but it still took me another few months. Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, pin ANY hopes on what any army ran website says, and don't believe anyone who tells you "it'll probably be done on [this month]" because nobody really knows for sure.

I was in Augusta doing my medboard and I am pretty sure they were walking my medical packet from the Seattle office on foot.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
In comparison to that, mine was done and I got my orders to gently caress off in a little over 4 months I think it was.

Mine, however, was abnormally quick at the time, but they've been getting faster on average.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/04/28/jumping-paratrooper-fish-selfie-update/26536155/

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Got an update slide from USARC on the new uniforms. They'll hit AAFES July 1st, but the new boots don't come out until August. So in grand Army tradition, you can buy the uniforms a month before you'll actually be able to wear them.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Retardog posted:

So in grand Army tradition, you canwill be required to buy the uniforms a month before you'll actually be able to wear them.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I've been advised to show up barefoot. Granted, I'm in WV, so nobody'd notice...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Retardog posted:

I've been advised to show up barefoot. Granted, I'm in WV, so nobody'd notice...

e: just read your previous post.

There's like a grand total of 4 reserve units in WV, so we probably know a lot of the same people.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 30, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Retardog posted:

Got an update slide from USARC on the new uniforms. They'll hit AAFES July 1st, but the new boots don't come out until August. So in grand Army tradition, you can buy the uniforms a month before you'll actually be able to wear them.

So how long will ACUs be mixed into formations with SCORPION:rock:. And how many joes will sell their scorp uniforms the day before you're supposed to be 100% dress right dress

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Well, the wear out date on old gear is 01 October 2018, so about two years of blending.

psydude posted:

e: just read your previous post.

There's like a grand total of 4 reserve units in WV, so we probably know a lot of the same people.

Most likely. We all just get traded back and forth and up and down the chain here.

• Locked thread