Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

It's how conspiracy theorists work. They posit that the next big news thing is REALLY a planned takeover of the government and martial law will be enacted, so they raise a huge fuss. When nothing of the sort happens (because, obviously, it was never what they thought it was), they pat themselves on the back for "defending freedom" as if they personally scared the government away from doing anything.

That said, the whole "You can't beat the government because they have nukes and jets and tanks" deal is still kinda stupid because it ignores the general history of modern armed rebellions and assumes that the US government would be willing to just nuke small towns and that soldiers will indiscriminately blow up their own country when told to.

It's a thing that I keep wondering about as an outsider. Looking at America, you seem perpetually on your way towards a civil war that never quite, as you say "kicks off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

karlor posted:

"I don't think I've ever seen an Hispanic panhandler."- Ted Cruz (his longstanding position)

I.C.E burn.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

It's a thing that I keep wondering about as an outsider. Looking at America, you seem perpetually on your way towards a civil war that never quite, as you say "kicks off".

Remember that the United States is barely over 200 years old and was founded through violent riots, protests, and criminal disobedience that eventually evolved into a full on rebellion (which was heavily aided by the French, though we'll never admit that).

The result of this is that rebellion and discontent are lauded as means of fixing a problematic government and the Founding Fathers are recent enough to be drat near worshiped. Our revolution is so glorified that many people (predominately right-wingers) advocate armed rebellion if the government ever becomes unbearable and impossible to fix through peaceful methods. While a coup might be a decent idea somewhere like North Korea or Syria, Americans start making veiled threats about sniping politicians as soon as they think a 1984-style dystopia is going to start.

Of course, this only applies to white people. Black people who fight back against government and police oppression are merely unemployed thugs who need to pull up their pants and learn their place.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Friendly Tumour posted:

It's not really that they don't kick off, they just end quickly.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Friendly Tumour posted:

That's probably just our penchant for sensationalizing everything making it seem that way

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Friendly Tumour posted:

I too, love jesus and sideburns

One of a half dozen people at a Rick Santorum 2012 Iowa campaign event. From the documentary Caucus, which is on Netflix and is great.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Of course, this only applies to white people. Black people who fight back against government and police oppression are merely unemployed thugs who need to pull up their pants and learn their place.

I will never understand this. It shows how transparently racist so many self professed libertarians are if they cannot acknowledge that there are people right here and now that are being oppressed by "the state". It's unfolding right in front of them and for all their talk about government never taking their guns or how they want to call for revolution, the poo poo hits the fan and they don't say a word. Every single one of these gadsden flag waving motherfuckers should be called out as cowards at every opportunity, or racists for dismissing the concerns coming out of predominantly black areas of the country. gently caress these people.

If the gun rights advocates were pushing really hard in urban communities for increased gun ownership the same way they glorify it out in more rural areas I might have some small amount of respect since they're treating everyone equally, but they don't. When conversations pop up about how gun owners aren't bad people and guns don't kill people, nobody ever suggests going out of their way to arm black dudes in major metropolitan areas. Nobody ever rattles that off as a solution to inner city violence, or protection against government tyranny, or whatever it is they fantasize about. So loving shameful.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "You can't eat me for lunch. Then there'd be no President!" ~ Barack Obama

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

A reminder that for the first time in basically forever we have a chance to compile statistics on how many people die in police custody, who they are, how they die and why, but only if the Attorney General decides to meaningfully enforce the bill (HR 1447) that was signed into law in December. The AG has full discretion when it comes to sanctioning States that do not meet the guidelines set by the bill.

https://www.change.org/p/attorney-general-loretta-lynch-barack-obama-enforce-the-death-in-custody-reporting-act-of-2013

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "You can't eat me for lunch. Then there'd be no President!" ~ Barack Obama

What a striking view into the Obama's personal life.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

I love the endless stream of spergs trying to explain presidential suggestion in response to a joke aimed at children.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Good Citizen posted:

I love the endless stream of spergs trying to explain presidential suggestion in response to a joke aimed at children.

Yeah, but we should be clear that if those kids ate Obama for lunch, Joe Biden would be President, via the process described in the 25th amendment, so Obama was lying to them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Yeah, but we should be clear that if those kids ate Obama for lunch, Joe Biden would be President, via the process described in the 25th amendment, so Obama was lying to them.

Hold up, Joe, Obama's no Buchanan

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

UberJew posted:

It's not really that they don't kick off, they just end quickly.

Yeah and that's the sort of thing that I really cannot wrap my head around. How do you have that kind of violence and then everyone just goes home instead of bombing police stations or something.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Friendly Tumour posted:

Yeah and that's the sort of thing that I really cannot wrap my head around. How do you have that kind of violence and then everyone just goes home instead of bombing police stations or something.

Cause the National Guard gets involved/the fury burns itself out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "I am running for president." ~ Bernie Sanders

Here he is leading a civil rights sit in at the University of Chicago in the 60s.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

There will certainly be completely unguarded farms where would be insurgents can make off with stockpiles of ammonium nitrate fertilizer.

Unguarded farms? In my USA?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

karlor posted:

"I don't think I've ever seen an Hispanic panhandler."- Ted Cruz (his longstanding position)

Ted Cruz posted:

"I don't think I've ever seen an Hispanic panhandler. And the reason is: In our community it would be shameful to be begging on the street," Cruz said, recalling a conversation he once had with a Latino businessman on the topic.

That's the entire extent of his hispanic outreach right there. I don't think there is anything in Cruz' life that could lead him to an understanding of any part of any hispanic community.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

karlor posted:

So Ted Cruz is either a vampire or has never seen a mirror.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alligator Horse posted:

A reminder that for the first time in basically forever we have a chance to compile statistics on how many people die in police custody, who they are, how they die and why, but only if the Attorney General decides to meaningfully enforce the bill (HR 1447) that was signed into law in December. The AG has full discretion when it comes to sanctioning States that do not meet the guidelines set by the bill.

https://www.change.org/p/attorney-general-loretta-lynch-barack-obama-enforce-the-death-in-custody-reporting-act-of-2013

We've actually been attempting to make up for that with Killed By Police. It uses news articles as sources to generate a database of everyone whose death can be attributed to police action. Along with the disturbingly common shootings, there's also things like vehicle impacts (or car crashes during a chase), bad reactions to a taser, pepper spray, or beating, K9 attacks, and people who mysteriously die of "excited delirium" or vague medical crises during an arrest.

As of yesterday, we're at 384 deaths this year. If a terrorist group were responsible for this many deaths in America, this would be a national tragedy. In fact, at this rate we're liable to hit a good 1200 deaths by the end of the year. American cops literally have as many deaths of American citizens that can be attributed to them as 9/11 every 2 years.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

On Terra Firma posted:

I will never understand this. It shows how transparently racist so many self professed libertarians are if they cannot acknowledge that there are people right here and now that are being oppressed by "the state".

As a white man who grew up in a wealthy suburb, I'll have you know that I don't see race. Despite some suboptimal choices in my life, I'm currently enjoying an upper middle class lifestyle. Right now that means living in a nice apartment downtown but since I'm not rich, when I buy property I'll probably have to go outside the city to somewhere cheaper. I made it happen, so I don't see how other people can't. I'm guessing it is either because of personal failings or maybe something bigger. I'm not a racist, so it is probably a cultural difference.

What is so hard to understand about that?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

As a white man who grew up in a wealthy suburb, I'll have you know that I don't see race. Despite some suboptimal choices in my life, I'm currently enjoying an upper middle class lifestyle. Right now that means living in a nice apartment downtown but since I'm not rich, when I buy property I'll probably have to go outside the city to somewhere cheaper. I made it happen, so I don't see how other people can't. I'm guessing it is either because of personal failings or maybe something bigger. I'm not a racist, so it is probably a cultural difference.

What is so hard to understand about that?

I see your point, but that doesn't make it any less depressing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The dotcom burst and recession were good at breaking people out of their mindset. Take heart, widening income inequalities will ensure that more and more people are forced to face hard realities.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

I did not, but now I have. The article just made me more confused. Is the State Guard there to make sure the Federal government doesn't accidentally shell a school? What's the point of calling the State Guard out?

Nope, wait, I think I understand now. People are scared the government will take their stuff. State Guard will keep the government away from their stuff.

A bunch of crazy people are making a big, dumb stink about training that is absolutely not a big deal. It's enough of a stink that just to make the crazy people happy, the Governor wrote to the head of the Texas National Guard, which is not at loving all a private army, and basically said "hey, this training event is awesome and good and helps our Soldiers, but also could you just keep an eye on it?" as a way to maybe somewhat shut up the crazy people with a giant wink to the military at large that he knows it's all dumb bonkers bullshit. Every single officer, be they national guard or active duty, swears an oath to the constitution, to the POTUS, and to the officers appointed over them by the president. POTUS kind of outranks Governors they work for on a day to day basis.

Friendly Tumour posted:

We aren't. At all.

chitoryu12 posted:

Remember that the United States is barely over 200 years old and was founded through violent riots, protests, and criminal disobedience that eventually evolved into a full on rebellion (which was heavily aided by the French, though we'll never admit that).

Ah, yes, the US has survived only 200 years on its constitution, making it the second oldest government on Earth, IIRC. Descendants of Europeans haven't been here as long as they've been in, oh, Europe, but the US government is very old and has been very stable when compared with other state governments. We're just younger in the ehtnic "nation" sense, given that we effectively wiped out the Indian nations.

People talking about armed revolution are doing it out of bluster and frustration, but aside from the odd active shooter or domestic terrorist, it is so far from being a real thing as to be laughable.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

We've actually been attempting to make up for that with Killed By Police. It uses news articles as sources to generate a database of everyone whose death can be attributed to police action. Along with the disturbingly common shootings, there's also things like vehicle impacts (or car crashes during a chase), bad reactions to a taser, pepper spray, or beating, K9 attacks, and people who mysteriously die of "excited delirium" or vague medical crises during an arrest.

As of yesterday, we're at 384 deaths this year. If a terrorist group were responsible for this many deaths in America, this would be a national tragedy. In fact, at this rate we're liable to hit a good 1200 deaths by the end of the year. American cops literally have as many deaths of American citizens that can be attributed to them as 9/11 every 2 years.

I am glad KBP and FatalEncounters and others are working to right this wrong. It's a shame these orgs even have to exist. Hopefully in the near future there will be hard requirements with unavoidable penalties for States that can't manage to document these events. For now though I hope HR 1447 really shows up on Americans' radar as an important issue--one they can do something about. I am not fooling myself into thinking that my Change.org petition will play a significant role there, but if it can inform at least a couple hundred people and start a dialog, that'd be neat!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Friendly Tumour posted:

Worry more about Europe. At least in the US our mass shooters aren't disaffected minorities who are oppressed by society.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mlmp08 posted:

A bunch of crazy people are making a big, dumb stink about training that is absolutely not a big deal. It's enough of a stink that just to make the crazy people happy, the Governor wrote to the head of the Texas National Guard, which is not at loving all a private army, and basically said "hey, this training event is awesome and good and helps our Soldiers, but also could you just keep an eye on it?" as a way to maybe somewhat shut up the crazy people with a giant wink to the military at large that he knows it's all dumb bonkers bullshit. Every single officer, be they national guard or active duty, swears an oath to the constitution, to the POTUS, and to the officers appointed over them by the president. POTUS kind of outranks Governors they work for on a day to day basis.

There's a separate Texas State Guard that's not the National Guard and hence not under the purview of the President.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Family Values posted:

As long as we're quoting and discussing David Simon's take on the situation in Baltimore, I'll go ahead and add this to the pile. (I don't think this was already linked in this thread but apologies if I overlooked it)

drat that is a great and depressing interview. I love David Simon.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
efb

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

There's a separate Texas State Guard that's not the National Guard and hence not under the purview of the President.

Its so loving creepy.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

The funny thing about pointing to the Wire as a means of understanding Baltimore's problems is the show was largely about the Sun and other media failing to do their job, but turns out what you need to know to understand the current situation in the city is in fact covered fairly succinctly by the Sun:

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/police-settlements/

Surprised you didn't bold this

quote:

“These officers taint the whole department when they create these kinds of issues for the city,” said City Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young. “I’m tired of the lawsuits that cost the city millions of dollars by some of these police officers.”
Doesn't care about the brutality, just the lawsuits.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, yes, the US has survived only 200 years on its constitution, making it the second oldest government on Earth, IIRC. Descendants of Europeans haven't been here as long as they've been in, oh, Europe, but the US government is very old and has been very stable when compared with other state governments. We're just younger in the ehtnic "nation" sense, given that we effectively wiped out the Indian nations.

Are you counting constitutional changes or governmental changes as technically "new nations"? Because when I speak of the US as being very young, I mean in its actual existence. The United Kingdom was formed from separate British and Irish nations in 1707, but those nations that united had all existed for centuries beforehand. The European-based nation that now takes up a big chunk of North America didn't even start to get off the ground until 17th century colonies and didn't become independent until about 230 years ago. The modern nation of France can trace its history to before the year 1000 CE.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CommieGIR posted:

Its so loving creepy.

States are allowed to form state defence forces. Texas is one of 23 states that does.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The Althingi was established in 930 in Iceland by Viking-era settlers. The world's oldest legislative body is now Iceland's official parliament.

Per 1999's web design: http://www.govspot.com/know/legbody.htm

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

On Terra Firma posted:

I will never understand this. It shows how transparently racist so many self professed libertarians are if they cannot acknowledge that there are people right here and now that are being oppressed by "the state". It's unfolding right in front of them and for all their talk about government never taking their guns or how they want to call for revolution, the poo poo hits the fan and they don't say a word. Every single one of these gadsden flag waving motherfuckers should be called out as cowards at every opportunity, or racists for dismissing the concerns coming out of predominantly black areas of the country. gently caress these people.

If the gun rights advocates were pushing really hard in urban communities for increased gun ownership the same way they glorify it out in more rural areas I might have some small amount of respect since they're treating everyone equally, but they don't. When conversations pop up about how gun owners aren't bad people and guns don't kill people, nobody ever suggests going out of their way to arm black dudes in major metropolitan areas. Nobody ever rattles that off as a solution to inner city violence, or protection against government tyranny, or whatever it is they fantasize about. So loving shameful.

This nation was founded on the principle of government by white men of property, for white men of property. Is it any surprise that those who worship the founding principles of the United States only care about white men of property?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

UberJew posted:

This nation was founded on the principle of government by white men of property, for white men of property. Is it any surprise that those who worship the founding principles of the United States only care about white men of property?

Then they should come right the gently caress out and say it. Carl Stokes had it right but these assholes don't have the balls to admit it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you counting constitutional changes or governmental changes as technically "new nations"? Because when I speak of the US as being very young, I mean in its actual existence. The United Kingdom was formed from separate British and Irish nations in 1707, but those nations that united had all existed for centuries beforehand. The European-based nation that now takes up a big chunk of North America didn't even start to get off the ground until 17th century colonies and didn't become independent until about 230 years ago. The modern nation of France can trace its history to before the year 1000 CE.

1707 was England and Scotland but not any portion of Ireland. Ireland was the Acts of Union 1800, effective 1801.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

On Terra Firma posted:

Then they should come right the gently caress out and say it. Carl Stokes had it right but these assholes don't have the balls to admit it.

:rolleyes:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
One of the most respected founders straight out believed that we would be having revolutions and civil wars every couple of decades. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

And this isn't some crazy we feel we've left in the past, he is on our money and has a major monument in our capital. (But so is Andrew Jackson, sooooo...).

Don't gently caress with Americans, we will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
If anyone is looking for an extensive Baltimore reading list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B_oyOyu_tAwOVq5MY1oJL3orN6ps04O82JxWxnkGpho/preview?sle=true

• Locked thread