Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

drzrma posted:

How do the Japanese cruisers play, I loved the Phoenix and once I got used to it I think the Omaha is my favorite ship so far. The Cleveland is a completely different animal though, and while I like the extra AA and the guns it's just terribly piggy. I miss having torpedoes too, it's nice to have something to knife fight with if it comes to it. Haven't played with any of the Japanese stuff yet, wondering if it's worth putting some time in that direction.
They're easier to turn, don't take hits well, and the torpedoes have a limited enough arc that they're mostly for shooting things behind you. On the flipside, the Aoba is the earliest you can pick up 8-inch guns at Tier VI (soon to be Furutaka at Tier V), and 8-inchers hurt everything real good. Also the Mogami at Tier VII has a blistering alpha broadside with both its stock guns and upgraded guns.

W/R/T lower tiers, I actually like the Kuma a lot with how many guns it could present broadside, too. I practically only launched torpedoes as an afterthought in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I just bought the game and joined the TS. Can someone fix my permissions and or teach me how to boats?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Ajaxify posted:

I just bought the game and joined the TS. Can someone fix my permissions and or teach me how to boats?

One problem solved.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Man, cruisers and I just don't get along. I'm sure the St. Louis is a fine ship. Slow, with plenty of firepower. But it's just not clicking for me :(

Destroyers on the other hand.... That's my jam.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The St. Louis is battleship levels of slow, though. Try the Phoenix and Omaha is you want zippier cruiser play.

In other news:

What are these "torpedos" you are speaking of anyway? :v:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
All your POI belong to us? Bwahahaha.

OMG are you in FOG!?

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 30, 2015

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Magni posted:

The St. Louis is battleship levels of slow, though. Try the Phoenix and Omaha is you want zippier cruiser play.

Yeah, St. Louis is nice for the guns pointing everywhere aspect but the Phoenix was where things really started to be fun. Omaha makes things even better although it took me a couple games to get used to the slight loss in maneuverability. Nice to be able to actually take some hits and do a bit of brawling as opposed to the wet cardboard that destroyers are made of. I'm still not entirely sure about the Cleveland, that requires you to think about things a little differently.

Anyone else have issues running the game and TS? I think that was my issue since I had three crashes requiring a complete reboot while I was on TS, and I've been able to be a terrible Langley driver in a couple matches now with no issues. It ran pretty smoothly before, the occasional random game crash like you'd expect from a beta but nothing major.

Edit: Also my Clemson appears to be stuck in battle after the last crash, is that likely to resolve itself or is that a contact support kind of issue?

drzrma fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 30, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

demonR6 posted:

OMG are you in FOG!?

No, I just grabbed the first modpack from the forums that had a decent-looking crosshair and a perma-Alt mod. Given that I frankly just don't care either way about the weeb stuff and that I'm a lazy gently caress, there's been no real reason to grab something else before the next patch anyway. :effort:

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 30, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

demonR6 posted:

OMG are you in FOG!?

The gently caress is a FOG?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's another :japan: thing.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Magni posted:

No, I just grabbed the first modpack from the forums that had a decent-looking crosshair and a perma-Alt mod. Given that I frankly just don't care either way about the weeb stuff and that I'm a lazy gently caress, there's been no real reason to grab something else before the next patch anyway. :effort:
I found that modpack too, and was triggered enough by the dumb watermarks and some of the image replacements that I grabbed a Flash decompiler and went to town on it.

lol at people immediately jumping to conclusions after looking at screencaps

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
And it should be: All your poi "are" belong to us.

These children can't even get their memes straight.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Man the Fuso is satisfying. 420 drop atom bombs on people from 20km away erry day. I hope the next 2 ships are as good even though I have read reviews saying they are not. The majority of my games I am top exp with this ship.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Axetrain posted:

Man the Fuso is satisfying. 420 drop atom bombs on people from 20km away erry day. I hope the next 2 ships are as good even though I have read reviews saying they are not. The majority of my games I am top exp with this ship.

Running the aimbot?

When running the Fuso and I am not highest tier, I am sort of wondering whether I should first focus on cruisers first and knock them out instead of shooting higher tier BBs. That should allow my team mates in cruisers/destroyers to hopefully close in and finish the BB with torpedoes.

Also, I recently got the Minekaze and having 10 km torpedoes is kinda nice. On Domination map I go for the central cap, get it and shoot torpedoes through passages. Not having to wait to get in range is kinda great.
The Ocean map in the Minekaze was surprisingly fun as well. It became a game of being outside detection range while shooting torpedoes outside of it. 1 Kongo and 1 Fuso went down to my torpedoes.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Running the aimbot?

When running the Fuso and I am not highest tier, I am sort of wondering whether I should first focus on cruisers first and knock them out instead of shooting higher tier BBs. That should allow my team mates in cruisers/destroyers to hopefully close in and finish the BB with torpedoes.

Yes, I suppose if they ban it I will have to learn to aim but it's just too tempting when I'm doing 40-60k damage in my first few salvos at extreme range 2 minutes into the match. Rarely do people bother to change course and seem content to just drive right into the murder solution. Whenever I see a BB fire at me at longish range I will immediately change course and speed somewhat, even in something as cumbersome as the Fuso this is effective.

As for targeting Crusiers/Carriers, it depends on what I think is more of an immediate threat. Cruisers are nice soft targets but I always keep AP loaded if there are any BB targets present and I don't like to risk over penetration unless they are getting into torp range or are spending alot of time targeting me.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ajaxify posted:

Good games dude. Keep moving on up, the US Cruisers own.

Cardiac posted:

Also, I recently got the Minekaze and having 10 km torpedoes is kinda nice. On Domination map I go for the central cap, get it and shoot torpedoes through passages. Not having to wait to get in range is kinda great.
The Ocean map in the Minekaze was surprisingly fun as well. It became a game of being outside detection range while shooting torpedoes outside of it. 1 Kongo and 1 Fuso went down to my torpedoes.

The love party ends with the Minekaze. The Mutsuki and Hatsuhara are both 2 turret wonders at the completed hull (The Hatsu having 2 double turrets though), and their glacial torpedo reload times make doing anything of note hard, especially when you try to bring those 2 turrets to bear and consistently outturn them. The Mutsuki in particular is a really mediocre ship, and it's stock torpedoes are WORSE than the Minekaze's upgraded ones (with a longer reload time). The only redeeming factor is its insane concealment, letting you sneak in to almost 6k on somebody before they'll spot you.

You need to get situational awareness if you're going to use Japanese Destroyers, and don't gunfight anything that can beat you straight up. You need to also get good at reading how people are turning and predicting where they're intending to go, you can't just fire at the grey zone and hope for kills. Don't fire all your torpedoes at once either, unless you're guaranteed to hit a beached/super close target and you need the extra alpha strike. You oneshot basically every destroyer with one torpedo, no need to waste all of them and suffer for the next 90 seconds being useless and plinking away with HE at that Fuso you could have torpedoed.

Once you get the long-lances on the Hatsuhara, you can start doing things again, but not a whole lot. I hear the Kagero is pretty good, no idea about the Fubuki just yet, but it can't be anywhere as bad as its been. Two 3 tube torp launchers and horrible turrets is hard to bear.

American DDs are high intensity nonstop fun, though. All of them are absolute blasts to play.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Cardiac posted:

Running the aimbot?

> 10KM CA->CV->BB->DD
< 10KM torpedo boats->BB->CA->CV

CA just drop more dps and disable more turrets in proportion to the rounds they take to kill, when your at a range that crits are mostly rng.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Boy I can't wait till the TK penalty gets implemented.

The Kongo got him before he could get to 7. Too bad about that game, we would have rolled the other team otherwise.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Axetrain posted:

Yes, I suppose if they ban it I will have to learn to aim but it's just too tempting when I'm doing 40-60k damage in my first few salvos at extreme range 2 minutes into the match.

After using it for a while you should be able to get a good idea how and where to lead your shots. I know I had to reinstall the game a couple of times due to other issues and played without the mod and realized it is almost automatic to predict where you would have been placing the shots with the mod. By all means not as accurate but you should not be completely lost without it.

Sidesaddle what program are you using to decompile the flash files if you don't mind me asking?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Other than getting to the Tier 10 why do I need to get US cruisers passed the Peniscola?

The New Orleans is just garbage compared to it. Same guns, bit more range, same ROF, tiny bit more health, sees way more tier 10 games.

Not liking this one bit. I suppose tiers 8 and 9 are going to be my speed bump to Des Moines goodness :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I thought the Baltimore was alright?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tekopo posted:

It tends to have an issue with catching fire. (:v:)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zaodai posted:

It tends to have an issue with catching fire. (:v:)

Only when you sail it roughly.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 30, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

demonR6 posted:

Sidesaddle what program are you using to decompile the flash files if you don't mind me asking?
JPEXS. It's kind of clunky, but it was easy to understand and had a context menu option for extracting or directly replacing images.

https://www.free-decompiler.com/flash/

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Burt posted:

Other than getting to the Tier 10 why do I need to get US cruisers passed the Peniscola?

The New Orleans is just garbage compared to it. Same guns, bit more range, same ROF, tiny bit more health, sees way more tier 10 games.

Not liking this one bit. I suppose tiers 8 and 9 are going to be my speed bump to Des Moines goodness :(

New Orleans has some actual armor and faster turrets, not sure other than that.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Also is the game start going utterly bonkers for anyone else? Been waiting for 2 minutes to get in a game and it keeps looking like it's trying to load me in then starts looking again.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

It's pretty tough, but blase guns and maneuverability. Doesn't bring anything new to the table.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

xthetenth posted:

New Orleans has some actual armor and faster turrets, not sure other than that.

New Orleans floods pretty quickly though

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

:vince:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So am I right looking at the stats that getting near a warsprite with planes might be a bad idea. Especially if there is any other ship with aa near it? 4x8 40mm guns doesn't look like something you want to get near.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NTRabbit posted:

How does it feel to be wrong all the time?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Dalael posted:

Whoosh

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

So am I right looking at the stats that getting near a warsprite with planes might be a bad idea. Especially if there is any other ship with aa near it? 4x8 40mm guns doesn't look like something you want to get near.

The DPS is basically the same as the Fuso but in a shorter range circle.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

A swing and a miss, drat brah how can you be so dense?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dalael posted:

:ssh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

:eyepop:

When should I be firing AP? I get that HE tends to damage poo poo better, but I find AP to vary wildly depending on what I'm hitting.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

orange juche posted:

Especially when we've already done the "mock the boat based on problems of the city it is named for" shtick on this very page!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

orange juche posted:

Yeah.. okay. That one went miles above my head.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Stringbean posted:

:eyepop:

When should I be firing AP? I get that HE tends to damage poo poo better, but I find AP to vary wildly depending on what I'm hitting.

Yes you should be firing AP. Shoot the guts and move to where it really wrecks dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

Yeah.. okay. That one went miles above my head.