Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

The fact that you could possibly care or notice odd future dudes are or not atheists says a lot about you, them and their fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Who loving cares , drat.

Can't wait for that new Snoop. Wish Pharrell would get back with Chad tho :/

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

dude me either i cant loving STAND all these black pious hypocrites in my rap music *doesnt eat vegetables at family dinner, does kick flip, yells at mom*

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Maybe I'm misremembering but I can't think of another group/rapper that got huge off youtube like OF did. ASAP Rocky maybe but I think he came later.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering but I can't think of another group/rapper that got huge off youtube like OF did. ASAP Rocky maybe but I think he came later.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

thathonkey posted:

Odd future has and will always suck. Honestly cant believe so many people bought into their hype and genuinely seemed to likeany of their "artists" with the huge exception of frank ocean who is literally the only talented member of the whole group (by the longest shot possible). He makes the tolerating of all the other OF garbage members ive had to endure over the years completely worth it at least.

OF has the same issue as ASAP in that there are too many people in their camp who aren't nearly as good as the headliner and just get in the way. At least ASAP has Ferg and pretty good production to fall back on when Rocky isn't the headlining artist but there is no loving way I'm buying any poo poo that comes out from either group from the offshoot dudes (maybe except for Frank Ocean, who on his best days is a good artist).

OF also has the issue of being stuck in that adolescent rebellion stage for a tremendously long time and never evolving. Yeah I know you don't give a gently caress and love shocking rape lyrics but after the 5th album it's not shocking anymore....

They are gimmicky as gently caress, and lose steam as their fanbase ages.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 29, 2015

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Can we talk about good things now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTuSnySz4Pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkGwI7nGehA

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yuzenn posted:

OF has the same issue as ASAP in that there are too many people in their camp who aren't nearly as good as the headliner and just get in the way. At least ASAP has Ferg and pretty good production to fall back on when Rocky isn't the headlining artist but there is no loving way I'm buying any poo poo that comes out from either group from the offshoot dudes (maybe except for Frank Ocean, who on his best days is a good artist).

OF also has the issue of being stuck in that adolescent rebellion stage for a tremendously long time and never evolving. Yeah I know you don't give a gently caress and love shocking rape lyrics but after the 5th album it's not shocking anymore....

At least in the beginning the offshoot dudes were actually the ones making the better albums, if we're talking about people who aren't Tyler and Earl. Rollin Papers is still my favourite OF album (though I admittedly haven't heard them all)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

of slapfight inspired me to check out mike g's newest tape and its actually... really good?

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/33807/mike-g-verses-ii.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4PA2QzKzrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwHcFJ96qM

a lot better than i was expecting tbh

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Who loving cares , drat.

Can't wait for that new Snoop. Wish Pharrell would get back with Chad tho :/

Well, N*E*R*D most recently did 3 tracks for the Spongebob movie soundtrack. Because reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SpongeBob_Movie:_Sponge_Out_of_Water#Music

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

go see FlyLo if you can, it was great.

he dropped Q, Kendrick, Snoop, Dre, Captain Murphy. Loads of good hip-hop stuff.

He also brought out Thundercat for a lot of tracks. I know a lot of people around here don't like him but I'm a fan so it was cool

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yuzenn posted:

They haven't been like that since the first albums. And outside of Tyler and Earl's stuff, the other dudes in the group weren't really like that. Domo Genesis is pretty much Currensy/Wiz in terms of content, and Hodgy's always been a "regular" dude. Mike G is more similar to Vince Staples, and JAoT is on some spaced out Metro Zu/Shabazz Palaces ambient poo poo. They have like 20x the talent of ASAP mob in that their "extra" dudes are at least average (besides JAoT who are amazing). When they came out people wanted to try to compare them to the Wu or something but that's not really correct because they weren't really a rap group like that-it'd be more like Freestyle Fellowship or Atoms Family or one of the 10 million other various rap collectives.

Also it's really bizarre and hypocritical to criticize "shocking rape lyrics" when there's dudes who've been doing "shocking murder/drug sale/pimping lyrics" for 20+ years with nary a peep. I mean seriously is anyone criticizing them even listening to their music? The only thing even moderately "rebellious" on their newer poo poo is the production on some of Tyler's stuff on Cherry Bomb. I mean seriously they're not flawless at all but people are saying things that are like objectively untrue. Both Earl and Tyler (the only ones who were really making music like what people seem to think all of OF does) already outgrew that poo poo (unlike someone like Eminem who's still trying to make worse versions of Slim Shady when he's a 40 year old dad).

Quantum of Phallus posted:

go see FlyLo if you can, it was great.

he dropped Q, Kendrick, Snoop, Dre, Captain Murphy. Loads of good hip-hop stuff.

He also brought out Thundercat for a lot of tracks. I know a lot of people around here don't like him but I'm a fan so it was cool
I'd actually really like to hear another Captain Murphy album. Nobody's really making stuff in that vein, and the dudes who immediately come to mind who made similar stuff (SMT and LUM) also aren't really doing poo poo anymore. Wish that style would've caught on a bit more or other dudes would've ran with it or something.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Profondo Rosso posted:

of slapfight inspired me to check out mike g's newest tape and its actually... really good?

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/33807/mike-g-verses-ii.html

a lot better than i was expecting tbh
Yeah that's the thing-a lot of their music is actually really good. Domo's only had really one thing I'd consider horrible (Under the Influence I was just awful). I love all the Jet Age of Tomorrow stuff. Hodgy's solo stuff isn't anything amazing, but it's chill regular dude music. The first Mellowhype album was really good, the second was decent but kinda fell into the trap of Hodgy trying too hard to be like Tyler/Earl, and the third was pretty bad. Mike G's stuff has always been real nice. Tyler, Earl and Frank Ocean have been discussed already. I will add that like 95% of anything with Taco and/or Jasper is pure garbage.

Hell, had it not been so obvious it was Tyler you would've had all the gucci fans in here jocking young nigga.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Lil Ugly Mane just dropped a tape but I think it's old material from the vaults?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Yeah that's the thing-a lot of their music is actually really good. Domo's only had really one thing I'd consider horrible (Under the Influence I was just awful). I love all the Jet Age of Tomorrow stuff. Hodgy's solo stuff isn't anything amazing, but it's chill regular dude music. The first Mellowhype album was really good, the second was decent but kinda fell into the trap of Hodgy trying too hard to be like Tyler/Earl, and the third was pretty bad. Mike G's stuff has always been real nice. Tyler, Earl and Frank Ocean have been discussed already. I will add that like 95% of anything with Taco and/or Jasper is pure garbage.

Hell, had it not been so obvious it was Tyler you would've had all the gucci fans in here jocking young nigga.

This is why I think the asap comparison is ridiculous. Can anyone even name an ASAP project not by ferg or rocky

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Yams.

RIP

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
why does a discussion of OF have to be framed as a comparison with ASAP? They're both kind of gimmick groups (OF moreso of course) that have 1-2 good members a piece.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Besson posted:

Lil Ugly Mane just dropped a tape but I think it's old material from the vaults?

:eyepop:

3 sided tape 1 and 2 had such cool stuff. look at all this unreleased stuff. drat

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

The fact that you could possibly care or notice odd future dudes are or not atheists says a lot about you, them and their fans.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

dude me either i cant loving STAND all these black pious hypocrites in my rap music *doesnt eat vegetables at family dinner, does kick flip, yells at mom*

What in the actual gently caress are these? Arguments?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Joe Gillian posted:

What in the actual gently caress is this? An argument?

What logical fallacies would you say they are employing

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

acksplode posted:

What logical fallacies would you say they are employing

Knowing what piety and hypocrisy are would help, for starters. "gently caress bitches, get money, sell drugs, and then go to church on Sunday and apologize for all of that."

acksplode
May 17, 2004

How excited would you be if Richard Dawkins dropped a mixtape

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Killer Mike is going off on some walgreens employee on twitter lol

https://twitter.com/KillerMikeGTO/status/593579690960547840

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

acksplode posted:

How excited would you be if Richard Dawkins dropped a mixtape

Let's be honest: It'd be loving amazing.

I sense that this thread is going into something bigger than we'd all care to get into, (it's all my fault, really), so I'm bowing out before more stupid piles atop.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 30, 2015

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
You can't mention atheism on SA without a bunch of people going apeshit.

temple fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 30, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Joe Gillian posted:

Knowing what piety and hypocrisy are would help, for starters. "gently caress bitches, get money, sell drugs, and then go to church on Sunday and apologize for all of that."

In all fairness, it is pretty funny

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Christian rap group UGK explores the duality of the modern religious man in their hit song "Hairy rear end in a top hat"

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Joe Gillian posted:

I'm going to be honest I don't care either way here about atheist rap but either you're the one who doesn't know what hypocrisy is or you do know what it means and you think that understanding the consequences of your actions makes you a hypocrite

And the later is so stupid that I have to think it's the former.

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
just talk about ugly mane. Tape is real good

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I'm going to be honest I don't care either way here about atheist rap but either you're the one who doesn't know what hypocrisy is or you do know what it means and you think that understanding the consequences of your actions makes you a hypocrite

Wait, what? I'm confused. So if I truly believe something is wrong (as ordained by a deity or whatever), and I do it (and continue to do it) anyway, as long as I feel bad about it enough I'm not a hypocrite?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
It doesn't bite the Memphis stuff as hard as some of his other work which is nice

Edit: I'm talking about the lil ugly mane tape

Besson fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 30, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wezlar posted:

:psyduck:
This entire conversation has become very stupid but you take the cake.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzOwHaDu_bs

Is young thug athiest? Discuss

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I admit that I am actually incredibly wrong and I am sorry. I was under the incorrect impression that hypocrisy was condemning other peoples actions while doing them yourself but it actually does cover just believing something and doing the opposite.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 30, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

They haven't been like that since the first albums. And outside of Tyler and Earl's stuff, the other dudes in the group weren't really like that. Domo Genesis is pretty much Currensy/Wiz in terms of content, and Hodgy's always been a "regular" dude. Mike G is more similar to Vince Staples, and JAoT is on some spaced out Metro Zu/Shabazz Palaces ambient poo poo. They have like 20x the talent of ASAP mob in that their "extra" dudes are at least average (besides JAoT who are amazing). When they came out people wanted to try to compare them to the Wu or something but that's not really correct because they weren't really a rap group like that-it'd be more like Freestyle Fellowship or Atoms Family or one of the 10 million other various rap collectives.

Also it's really bizarre and hypocritical to criticize "shocking rape lyrics" when there's dudes who've been doing "shocking murder/drug sale/pimping lyrics" for 20+ years with nary a peep. I mean seriously is anyone criticizing them even listening to their music? The only thing even moderately "rebellious" on their newer poo poo is the production on some of Tyler's stuff on Cherry Bomb. I mean seriously they're not flawless at all but people are saying things that are like objectively untrue. Both Earl and Tyler (the only ones who were really making music like what people seem to think all of OF does) already outgrew that poo poo (unlike someone like Eminem who's still trying to make worse versions of Slim Shady when he's a 40 year old dad).

I'd actually really like to hear another Captain Murphy album. Nobody's really making stuff in that vein, and the dudes who immediately come to mind who made similar stuff (SMT and LUM) also aren't really doing poo poo anymore. Wish that style would've caught on a bit more or other dudes would've ran with it or something.

I don't think those fringe dudes have 20x the talent, that would imply that they are actually that talented. Outside of a couple tracks here and there most of the other guys stuff is extremely forgetable at best.

And yeah they are obviously going for shock lyrics; Tyler isn't REALLY a rapist or has some sort of crazy proclivity to raping people so obviously he is trying to get a rouse out of the listener. Whereas all of these "murder and pimp and drug lyrics" historically came from dudes who actually did that poo poo. When Jay and 50 rapped about dealing drugs and violent things, they were actually living that life. Now though most rappers these days are faking the act and I also don't believe a word that comes out of their mouth but a good number of the old cats mostly lived what they rapped about.

Tyler isn't even trying to hide it: I mean come on, take for example the track "blow my load" on Cherry Bomb...it's really obviously he's trying to be as lewd as possible to prove a point that he's "edgy" but that this point its so forced, like he thinks he has to put out that kind of content or lose out on his base. And I agree, Em is on the same poo poo sometimes but the difference is that he from time to time drops the act and gets serious for a project here and there.

Long story short OF isn't growing much, or evolving and they will likely flame out and be forgotten not to far in the future from now.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 30, 2015

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
lol at everything

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEM9cTgb4H8

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Frank ocean is great even if the rest fade away which I agree is gonna happen soon.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Guys I bet Rae Sremmurd are atheists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

TheQat posted:

Killer Mike is going off on some walgreens employee on twitter lol

https://twitter.com/KillerMikeGTO/status/593579690960547840

They wouldn't give him oxys :lol: Getting CII pain meds at a chain pharmacy is hard as hell if you're not an established customer. Cmon mike it's not the law for them to take your script