Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can't you just start a new city and let crime get really high before you ever build a police station? Pretty sure that's how I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yup. I got the crime achievement by starting a new city with unlimited money/all unlock. Build a 4x4 high density, one fire station and one garbage dump, connect to power and water. Turn on 3x time and wait. Took about 10 mins real time to get there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's some GTA map on the workshop that if you load it it unlocks a lot of the crime poo poo. I gave up trying to get the courthouse and just loaded up that save.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

hailthefish posted:

Too smart isn't a thing. It's just a shortage of workers. The effects are hardest felt by industries only requiring uneducated workers because uneducated worker jobs are the least desirable and will go unfilled if there are other, more desirable, job opportunities.

If you limit the availability of education you can try to make the worker shortage be felt more evenly across the various tiers, but the easier solution is to just build more houses and have more people move in, addressing the root cause of the problem.

I keep hearing this and it keeps being not true for me.

Right now I've unlocked all 25 tiles and I am trying to add some exurbs and industry towns on my outskirts. My farming town and my mining town are not able to grow sustainably, no matter how slowly I zone new industrial area, no matter how much housing I build nearby.

For a while I thought I had a handle on it, and had a full long block of mining industry, none of whom were complaining about not enough workers. (They weren't just too new to complain, either — I verified they all had full employment.) Then, 20 minutes later, that whole block was abandoned because of a lack of workers while I was working in another area of the map. They didn't all die, so the only explanation I can think of is that they found better jobs and switched.

Hence, as far as I can tell, it's true that educated workers will "settle" for jobs for which they're over-qualified, but will bolt as soon as new commercial or office jobs open up. Your suggestion for "addressing the root cause of the problem" suggests that it's a one-time fix rather than an ongoing thing.

And, yeah, I suppose you could keep those industrial areas alive by maintaining that imbalance — by keeping the residential demand bar as low as possible and ignoring commercial demand until it's at the max — but that's just not a fun way to play. I don't mind having challenges like these late in the game, because god knows it could use more late-game difficulty, but I don't feel like there is a reasonable in-game solution to this problem.

Maybe it's not possible right now, but I'd love to see a mod that tweaks the process by which Cims choose jobs.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo real life Cities Skylines.

I saw this in the local tabloids today.

It's the Ohashi Bridge in Japan. I also found a video of a crazy person cycling over it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxSkyJ1o4cA

edit: bonus pic from another angle.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 29, 2015

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
What is the consensus on what you're supposed to do when you start a new city? You aren't given the freeway option which is what I feel would be best; just make a long continued freeway with offramps throughout town. Instead you have to use normal roads though and every city I end up making becomes a nightmare traffic wise because of it. Is there a good beginners city guide because frankly I'm tired of making city after city that becomes a traffic abortion every time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Redkist posted:

What is the consensus on what you're supposed to do when you start a new city? You aren't given the freeway option which is what I feel would be best; just make a long continued freeway with offramps throughout town. Instead you have to use normal roads though and every city I end up making becomes a nightmare traffic wise because of it. Is there a good beginners city guide because frankly I'm tired of making city after city that becomes a traffic abortion every time.

Attach a two lane road to the connection point, which unlocks one way roads. Upgrade to one way road and extend into your new city, then build a one way road alongside it going the other way. Presto, you have access to the region.

Later down the road you can convert that to one of the bigger road types. I usually turn it into highway because it turns into a major artery of my city but you can obviously do whatever feels right.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

necrotic posted:

Not a video tutorial, but theres a set of imgur galleries going over a grid design from 0 to 70k+ https://imgur.com/a/LuzAc

According to this guy you don't want to be more than 100 map mini-squares away from well designed highway (discussed at length in part 2) and that includes surface road infrastructure. That's 20x20 blocks of 18x10 mini-squares city blocks. I run in to problems in that general sizeas well but I try and engineer each "cell" of the city with two or three connections which of course choke right up and traffic snarles to a grinding halt. On ramps and off ramps can have unlimited capacity but they really foul up traffic on the highway where they merge.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

xzzy posted:

Attach a two lane road to the connection point, which unlocks one way roads. Upgrade to one way road and extend into your new city, then build a one way road alongside it going the other way. Presto, you have access to the region.

Later down the road you can convert that to one of the bigger road types. I usually turn it into highway because it turns into a major artery of my city but you can obviously do whatever feels right.

You're saying just build a big one way road and then connect another to it? Of course I know how to make one way roads. I don't know maybe I'll just google new city tutorial or something but I thought maybe there'd be some input in this thread.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
This is the way I use keeping the traffic in check in a new city:

It's the classic Truck/Car filter, works perfectly even now with 10k inhabitants.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Redkist posted:

You're saying just build a big one way road and then connect another to it? Of course I know how to make one way roads. I don't know maybe I'll just google new city tutorial or something but I thought maybe there'd be some input in this thread.

Build a round-a-bout and connect the highway to that and have a couple main streets going to the rest of your town connected to it.

Should work just fine with until you unlock highways.

My only real advice is build the bare minimum of industrial you can get away with until you're able to buy a square of land on the other side of the highway and make that into your industrial zone because having industrial and regular traffic use the same on/off ramp is a recipe for disaster. Yeah the coffee filter thing or whatever might work at first but it's quickly going to get hosed and it's a pain to de-tangle once you've already got a massive industrial area built up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Redkist posted:

I thought you were asking for design theory. That's what I do.. a long one way road leading into my city, and a long one way road going the other way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Redkist posted:

I don't tell everybody this but I found this super secret junction to work best as your new city connection:

Serious answer: what you place is affordably ripped out and replaced when you get a feeling for how everything interacts with the highways so thats why its rough finding anyone giving hard facts about that first connection because it has that little to do with your final city planning whether you are on your first or subsequent cities. You can't really go wrong planning out a future highway spur with one way 2 lane roads as other people have mentioned. Or just terminate it there with a roundabout or other junction and plan on more serious industrial business when you buy the next map square with the highway in it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

stradiwari posted:

This is the way I use keeping the traffic in check in a new city:

It's the classic Truck/Car filter, works perfectly even now with 10k inhabitants.

How do trucks get back to industral after they deliver goods to the commercial stuff in the lower left there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That powerline spaghetti reminds me, they really need to mod bridges so that they can carry electricity like SimCity did it.

I hate drawing power lines over rivers.

Might even be nice if any street could deliver electricity as long as part of it is connected to an electricity source.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i think there should be an underground electric wire option that costs like 10x more, so you start using powerlines but then when you're rich you switch to underground.

just make underground lines block water pipes or subways or something so people pay attention whether they use them or not.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This poo poo is horrible to do, but at least it looks better.

Never do maps that rely on lots of water.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Never do maps that rely on lots of water.
Just on that subject, has anyone come up with any style ideas either map or harbour placement that makes boats behave less like bathtub toys? I know its fun to watch initially (and I've been on horrible ferries that behaved just as ridiculously on the sea), but surely theres a way to just have a boat come in to port, turn around and gently caress off without bobbing around and waddling all over the show.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think the map can do anything about boats, their behavior is part of the game program. I guess a mod could fix it but I don't know of any.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

crabrock posted:

i think there should be an underground electric wire option

There's a mod for underground powerlines: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409251698

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wit posted:

Just on that subject, has anyone come up with any style ideas either map or harbour placement that makes boats behave less like bathtub toys? I know its fun to watch initially (and I've been on horrible ferries that behaved just as ridiculously on the sea), but surely theres a way to just have a boat come in to port, turn around and gently caress off without bobbing around and waddling all over the show.

I don't think so. There are boat roads, basically, which boats follow along through the water. When a boat goes to a harbor it turns off of its road, sails to the harbor and then slides into place. As far as I know there is no way to prevent the sliding.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Redkist posted:

I'm up to 10k people and this is working so far for me; I started out with one-way roads, but sorta forked like that, at the initial highway connection. As soon as I could, I purchased the land plot to the north and connected my industrial another way directly to the highway and things have been smooth ever since. There's a few small roundabouts in the industrial area, where traffic was very heavy before I was able to get the second outside connection, and those helped immensely.

In this screenshot it's shortly after I found out the fun way that hey you really shouldn't expand your industrial area into the water tower area, because all your people get sick and die. Anyway I hope this gives you some help.

edit: oh, one mod that's really simple and helps with traffic issues is Toggle Traffic Lights, it does what it says.

edit: closer up view of the starting connection, industry left, residential right

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 30, 2015

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
That looks like you actually have a lot of traffic.

This is my current city; already have a traffic problem I'm having trouble solving.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Redkist posted:

This is my current city; already have a traffic problem I'm having trouble solving.

What happens if you put an offramp from the red bit of the freeway to the overpass here?

Also I like imgur but is there any hosting for gifs that would let me upload something larger than what imgur allows?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 30, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Moridin920 posted:

What happens if you put an offramp from the red bit of the freeway to the overpass here?

Also I like imgur but is there any hosting for gifs that would let me upload something larger than what imgur allows?

Imgur has recently upped its limit for gifs, and the new gifv format can allow from some pretty large stuff. It even has a tool to convert video into gifs that I have never used.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Redkist posted:

That looks like you actually have a lot of traffic.

Picture a vehicle coming north on the highway fron the bottom left corner. They want to get to where the Shaolin label is. Think about their path.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Some pics from my current city:

An industrial area - yes those are frontage roads for my 6 lane roads:

Flows real smooth but lots of traffic moves over it:

Overall traffic situation - some parts have a lot of red just because of high traffic, although there are a couple trouble spots I need to fix. The freeway in the middle top is just busy as hell. Couldn't fit the whole city in but this is most:

rear end in a top hat trucks:

Probably not earthquake safe:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 30, 2015

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Moridin920 posted:

Some pics from my current city:

An industrial area - yes those are frontage roads for my 6 lane roads:

Flows real smooth but lots of traffic moves over it:

Overall traffic situation - some parts have a lot of red just because of high traffic, although there are a couple trouble spots I need to fix. The freeway in the middle top is just busy as hell. Couldn't fit the whole city in but this is most:

rear end in a top hat trucks:

Probably not earthquake safe:

Regarding zooming out to screenshot your whole city: here's a mod that let's you zoom out enough to see every zone at once.

It also has a built-in first-person mode, so it may not work if you already have any stand-alone mods for that installed. But I prefer it over all the others anyways.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Thanks for the traffic help guys, both suggestions alleviated my issues.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys you should really use the traffic manager mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427585724&searchtext=traffic+manager)
It is awesome, you can customize every intersection with it. You can choose if you want lights or priority and then you define which road as priority. You can also define the types of lanes of roads (all left, only rights etc..) and you can even setup time traffic lights.

Just be careful that it is not compatible with other traffic mods (traffic++, toggle lights etc...). I've been using it in my 90k city and it is awesome.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

savetheclocktower posted:

I keep hearing this and it keeps being not true for me.

Right now I've unlocked all 25 tiles and I am trying to add some exurbs and industry towns on my outskirts. My farming town and my mining town are not able to grow sustainably, no matter how slowly I zone new industrial area, no matter how much housing I build nearby.

For a while I thought I had a handle on it, and had a full long block of mining industry, none of whom were complaining about not enough workers. (They weren't just too new to complain, either — I verified they all had full employment.) Then, 20 minutes later, that whole block was abandoned because of a lack of workers while I was working in another area of the map. They didn't all die, so the only explanation I can think of is that they found better jobs and switched.

Hence, as far as I can tell, it's true that educated workers will "settle" for jobs for which they're over-qualified, but will bolt as soon as new commercial or office jobs open up. Your suggestion for "addressing the root cause of the problem" suggests that it's a one-time fix rather than an ongoing thing.

And, yeah, I suppose you could keep those industrial areas alive by maintaining that imbalance — by keeping the residential demand bar as low as possible and ignoring commercial demand until it's at the max — but that's just not a fun way to play. I don't mind having challenges like these late in the game, because god knows it could use more late-game difficulty, but I don't feel like there is a reasonable in-game solution to this problem.

Maybe it's not possible right now, but I'd love to see a mod that tweaks the process by which Cims choose jobs.

I don't know why you got from his post that it's a one-time fix. Why would it be? You build more industry and commercial, you shift the ratio of workers to jobs. Obviously you need to continuously maintain the "imbalance" to keep all your jobs filled.

I don't see it as an imbalance though, I see it as the RCI meter either being poorly calibrated/unresponsive or just not telling us quite what we think it does. Almost by definition, your population is in balance when there are enough workers to keep businesses from abandoning, at least as far as the game mechanics are concerned.

Personally, I use the unemployment rate as my barometer for when to zone more residential. Between 5% and 10% seems to be the sweet spot; any lower and you get C/I abandonment, any higher and population growth hits a wall (or reverses).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The RCI meter is absolute trash at dictating sustainable growth, especially after whatever tweak they made with the parks in the last patch because it has turned into free commercial demand forever. I have been reluctant to complain too loudly because it beats SimCity4 where you need a specific build plan to get over some hard programmed bumps or else it just feels like you are praying to some forgotten god of cities to please let you build more, thanks.

Supraluminal posted:

Personally, I use the unemployment rate as my barometer for when to zone more residential. Between 5% and 10% seems to be the sweet spot; any lower and you get C/I abandonment, any higher and population growth hits a wall (or reverses).
That's the best way to handle it if you can't stand abandoned popups, but it can be a little interesting to ride the waves of retirees and young adult education. If you end up with abandonment it's generally ok to ignore: farms and lumber industry can soak up the abandonment to prevent land value issues for residential zones, and as long as you have industrial demand lots will be rebuilt without needing to bulldoze, albeit at a slower pace but that is often a good thing anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Proximity helps industry fill jobs too. I know everyone's SOP is to build industry over in gently caress off land because that's how we've done it since the first SimCity game, but in this game that approach only seems to work below 25k. Once you start getting into "big city" territory some residential across the highway from stinky industry seems to help stability a lot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

xzzy posted:

Proximity helps industry fill jobs too. I know everyone's SOP is to build industry over in gently caress off land because that's how we've done it since the first SimCity game, but in this game that approach only seems to work below 25k. Once you start getting into "big city" territory some residential across the highway from stinky industry seems to help stability a lot.

Yep, building industry in one big clump in this game is a recipe for traffic. I've started unsnarling my Springfield's traffic problems by unzoning some of my industry and spreading it out to other areas and it's been working pretty well. Even with cargo trains the industrial trucks can be a nightmare.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zedprime posted:

The RCI meter is absolute trash at dictating sustainable growth

Honestly, the RCI meter in this game is so useless it's actively misleading, they really need to either rethink it or just plain remove it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, the RCI meter in this game is so useless it's actively misleading, they really need to either rethink it or just plain remove it.

Yeah I still can't quite figure out demand in this game. I'll have 1% unemployment and massive employment shortage and no residential demand, and in other times have like 10% unemployment and huge residential demand. So I just totally ignore the RCI and only look at unemployment and the amount of worker-shortage abandonment.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It just changes REALLY fast. Industrial demand can be pegged full yellow, you zone two small grid squares industrial and all that demand goes away within a couple of ingame days.

In other news, I still can't get tough city, in spite of turning off everything and dezoning all industrial/commercial/office at the same time. People just leave too fast; I can't keep crime over 40% for even a month, much less 2 years.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kefkafloyd posted:

Yep, building industry in one big clump in this game is a recipe for traffic. I've started unsnarling my Springfield's traffic problems by unzoning some of my industry and spreading it out to other areas and it's been working pretty well. Even with cargo trains the industrial trucks can be a nightmare.

Yeah I have quite a few industrial areas spread around the map, usually with some residential nearby.

If it was all clumped up I'm pretty sure the roads would be gridlock 24/7.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Baronjutter I'm learning how to make nice buildings in this game just so I can bug you out with PoMo towers :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that one canada square? Or maybe not, they all look the same. That tower is fine, just a boring 80's-90's office tower. It's Frank Ghery poo poo I can't stand.