Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

They released 101 people today and likely more to follow

Guardian is just grandstanding, the legal defense presence in Baltimore is pretty incredible right now.

drat! Given the brazenness of the cops it's courageous of the OPD to do their jobs!

I just hope they don't start having 'accidents'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

discoukulele posted:

So he used his black superhuman strength to nearly sever his own spinal cord? How on earth do they expect anyone to buy that? Especially since in the arrest video, he seems to have a broken leg and already be in terrible shape and weak.

Also the other prisoner could not see him, also WaPo has not been able to contact the prisoner himself so cannot confirm that the statement legitimately comes from him... Coincidentally, the results of the investigation will not be made public.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The fog is lifted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...218e_story.html

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Hang on. If my memory is right, Tim was the mooching Vice reporter from Ferguson? He's back?

Was until his stream was going down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And Michael Brown was a charging demon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lmao, yeah I'm sure if the police had credible evidence that Freddie Gray broke his own neck that they'd be keeping it under tight wraps. Just like how when Ofc Wilson was suffering from imaginary orbital fractures in his face they kept quiet and let some facebook friend of his sisters roommates gently caress buddy tell the media.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's plausible but who cares. The protests aren't about his death alone.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Didn't he end up with an 80% severed spine and a crushed larynx? How the gently caress can you possibly self-inflict that while handcuffed?

I guess it doesn't really matter. The usual suspects are going to swallow that and the nonsensical claim that his neck was "pre-injured" when the police are let off the hook.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Even if he did injure himself, the police took him into their care and failed to properly care for or about a mentally ill, suicidal, man. They were bad at their jobs and should admit that they are not good at protecting people. If they don't the public should stop assuming cops have any responsibility to help anyone (which they clearly have).

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2014/09/02/victor-whites-unbelievable-houdini-handcuff-suicide/

Boy something about cop cars just seems to make black men suicidal somehow! Golly, I feel bad for those poor officers, it must be so traumatic for them, black people running into the back of their police cars to kill themselves in droves.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Didn't he end up with an 80% severed spine and a crushed larynx? How the gently caress can you possibly self-inflict that while handcuffed?

I guess it doesn't really matter. The usual suspects are going to swallow that and the nonsensical claim that his neck was "pre-injured" when the police are let off the hook.

Also three fractured vertebrae. His injuries were what you'd expect from a car crash, not throwing yourself against a wall.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So we have an anonymous prisoner's supposed account of events, who didn't SEE any of it, as related by a police spokesperson.

(And it's not even like the anonymous prisoner could have been offered incentive for leniency for giving the "right" account of events, or that the thing couldn't have been spun out of whole cloth given we aren't given the guy's name and he doesn't speak for himself.)

Oooooookaaaaaay.....

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the city goes with that as their cover story, then i'll be 'surprised', but not really surprised whatsoever. This whole incident has made me really loving sick of this place, and made me wonder why I've defended it over the years.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
A semi-anonymous woman, who is totally coming forward of her own volition against the wishes of the police officer she is in some way related to, told CNN that he wasn't given a rough ride because "How could they do that? ... They have to call a paddy wagon. So that officer doesn't know what transpired before he got there." (1 minute in) So you know, how could they possibly know about the arresting officer's desires to hurt a man? Case closed, rough rides don't exist and can't possibly happen. Cops simply can't talk to each other at all. I guess these so called "victims" of "rough rides" owe the city of Baltimore some money.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Things to keep in mind:

The unidentified prisoner never saw Freddie Gray
The same person was only in the van for 6 blocks, after Freddie Gray requested help/medical assistance/whatever

Anyway, with that out there is it actually possible to generate enough force while handcuffed and in leg irons to almost sever your spin completely?

TGLT posted:

. I guess these so called "victims" of "rough rides" owe the city of Baltimore some money.

quote:

The most sensational case in Baltimore involved Johnson, a 43-year-old plumber who was arrested for public urination. He was handcuffed and placed in a transport van in good health. He emerged a quadriplegic.

Before he died, he complained to his doctor that he was not buckled into his seat when the police van "made a sharp turn," sending him "face first" into the interior of the van, court records state. He was "violently thrown around the back of the vehicle as [police officers] drove in an aggressive fashion, taking turns so as to injure [Johnson] who was helplessly cuffed," the lawsuit stated.

Johnson, who suffered a fractured neck, died two weeks later of pneumonia caused by his paralysis. His family sued, and a jury agreed that three officers were negligent in the way they treated Johnson. The initial $7.4 million award, however, was eventually reduced to $219,000 by Maryland's Court of Special Appeals because state law caps such payouts.

:catstare:

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 30, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They must really be loving desperate if after a full week they can't come up with anything better than that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They must really be loving desperate if after a full week they can't come up with anything better than that.

Seriously:
"A cat ran out in front of the vehicle, we slammed the brakes on and swerved" would be better and who doesn't like cats? Did you want the cat to die?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The pattern is really disgusting. Say nothing, but then leak out anonymous bullshit to muddy the waters and confuse everyone.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus, all of the Baltimore pride poo poo showing up online. You live in one of the most segregated cities in the world that has lost six million dollars in tax money to cleaning up after a shitheel police force that basically just created a riot situation by straight-up murdering a guy. And you're going to get a loving Oriole bird tattoo to celebrate.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Blurry rear end pic on fb posted from the times square protest shows a protest sign with IS LIFE A WHITE PRIVILEGE

Owns hard

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Things to keep in mind:

The unidentified prisoner never saw Freddie Gray
The same person was only in the van for 6 blocks, after Freddie Gray requested help/medical assistance/whatever

Anyway, with that out there is it actually possible to generate enough force while handcuffed and in leg irons to almost sever your spin completely?

:catstare:

Seriously, fire everyone in the Baltimore PD, I don't care how much of a saint they've been. They can be hired back if they pass strenuous background and character checks.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Policeman throws intoxicated woman forcefully to the ground (Round Rock, TX):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNp30L0TvE0

She may have offered resistance but it doesn't look like he was having any particular difficulty managing her. This is cellphone video from a bystander who wanted to remain anonymous.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Von Sloneker posted:

Speaking of not admitting mistakes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...218e_story.html

There's more, but not much as far as detail, at the link.

There you ahve it. In these 10 days or whatever they came up with this fool proof explanation of self inflicted spinal cord separation. Thank gently caress for the justice system in America.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
"he did what he was supposed to do" wtf hahahahaahahahahaahahahahaah

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Zwabu posted:

Policeman throws intoxicated woman forcefully to the ground (Round Rock, TX):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNp30L0TvE0

She may have offered resistance but it doesn't look like he was having any particular difficulty managing her. This is cellphone video from a bystander who wanted to remain anonymous.

"he was very professional"

loving scum.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

chitoryu12 posted:

I believe all of them were armed, but it was similar to the National Guard guys you see in New York City at places like the Port Authority Bust Terminal or Penn Station. They only have a handgun and three or four spare magazines, which they keep holstered when they're not preparing to use it. Generally the National Guard guys in NYC spend most of their time chatting and giving directions to tourists, though they get antsy if you stare at them too much.

Likewise, the ones in Ferguson were only armed with handguns at the most and kept them holstered. Because they knew they didn't need guns.

I don't even know why I'm quoting this from a whole page ago but whatever. They had M4s, M9s, and riot batons. So rifles, pistols and melee weapons. They also used armored vehicles an wore body armor.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Outersider looking in, but I do have a question. Perhaps some one more threadbound can answer it.

In the case of Ferguson, one of the things that caught my eye was the funding model upon which that Police Department operated. The perverse incentives within the system led to a modern "debtor's prison" system upon which the majority of all St. Louis got its municipal funding. I've already read that article by the writer of The Wire talk about perverse incentives from a crime-reducing spree that led to officers mass-arresting people simply for overtime pay, but I'm wondering if there are any more systemic or over-arching perverse incentives in place that caused the Baltimore PD to target its own population as such.

If I had to imagine myself with the protesters and was thinking of ways to reform the police from inside the system, the most obvious line of attack would be to figure out where their funding is coming from and work towards it. The thought being, "if you absolutely must act like an occupying force within this community, then you are not going to do so on my tax dollar." If so, where does the police budget come from exactly?

I'm asking this now because when it came up with Ferguson, it was mentioned as a known fact very early on by a few select people, forgotten about when the attention turned to more sensationalist material and those experts lost attention, then brought up again months later after the fact. I haven't been able to pay as close attention with the Baltimore information, so I wonder if I might've missed it already.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Last year a Mesa PD cop got put on leave as it was found that he had committed multiple sexual assaults while on duty. This week he got all charges dropped, he just had to pinky swear not to be a cop, real or Blart, ever again.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Agrajag posted:

"he was very professional"

loving scum.

They're not wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Haven't seen this posted, but I find this essay insightful and I agree with it, personally.

http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/black-riot/

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Morroque posted:

Outersider looking in, but I do have a question. Perhaps some one more threadbound can answer it.

In the case of Ferguson, one of the things that caught my eye was the funding model upon which that Police Department operated. The perverse incentives within the system led to a modern "debtor's prison" system upon which the majority of all St. Louis got its municipal funding. I've already read that article by the writer of The Wire talk about perverse incentives from a crime-reducing spree that led to officers mass-arresting people simply for overtime pay, but I'm wondering if there are any more systemic or over-arching perverse incentives in place that caused the Baltimore PD to target its own population as such.

If I had to imagine myself with the protesters and was thinking of ways to reform the police from inside the system, the most obvious line of attack would be to figure out where their funding is coming from and work towards it. The thought being, "if you absolutely must act like an occupying force within this community, then you are not going to do so on my tax dollar." If so, where does the police budget come from exactly?
You are vastly overestimating the degree to which popular opinion in D&D reflects the preferences of the electorate and the political elite. If a politician axes the police budget, no easy task itself, s/he had best pray to whatever higher power they believe in that crime does not go up as a result, because they will get absolutely hammered when they come up for reelection.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dead Reckoning posted:

If a politician axes the police budget, no easy task itself, s/he had best pray to whatever higher power they believe in that crime does not go up as a result, because they will get absolutely hammered when they come up for reelection.

And the people in charge of collecting the crime stats are, of course, the police themselves, who are also in the best position to make crime go up if they feel like.

All of that's assuming you don't just get a police strike.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

You are vastly overestimating the degree to which popular opinion in D&D reflects the preferences of the electorate and the political elite. If a politician axes the police budget, no easy task itself, s/he had best pray to whatever higher power they believe in that crime does not go up as a result, because they will get absolutely hammered when they come up for reelection.

In some ways I know that as far as municipalities go, but I'm wondering -- in the circumstance where the Baltimore PD gets most of its funding from taxation upon the very same Baltimore residents who currently do not trust them -- if the PD department may learn some lesson not to bite the hand that feeds them. That is, however, only in the case where direct taxation is involved. In Ferguson, the police budget was gained through other, more nefarious means through perverse incentives regarding debtor's prisons; which allowed them to treat their civilian population with less and less respect. I'm wondering which one of the two is the case.

Given what I've learned of the perverse incentives inside their own system, they would need to introduce an arbitrary cap on the amount of overtime hours a police officer can claim with regards to court appearances. That has a moderately good chance of bringing the number of "he looked at me funny" arrests down, but it alone would not be enough to mend the trust in the community. (Of course, the department may have a social obligation to remove the perverse incentives, but it has no rational drive to actually do so unless the mandate was imposed upon them.)

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it... I recall something similar happened with the police strike in New York after/during the Eric Garner case, or what happened when the mayor talked about is son and the police union rebelled. I heard a report that crime actually went down in that instance, (since nobody was able to report anything,) but the idea from the union's perspective was less to do crime protection/prevention and more to do with actively depriving the city of a revenue stream which they get from ticketing and other legal remittances. (It was a while ago, so I might be remembering it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was the intention.) This led some people to wonder, how much police harassment of minorities and people of colour had less to do with racism and more to do with meeting revenue quotas. At least, that was the claim at the time, but nobody really contemplated if it was true or not.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 30, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ratoslov posted:

And the people in charge of collecting the crime stats are, of course, the police themselves, who are also in the best position to make crime go up if they feel like.

All of that's assuming you don't just get a police strike.

Let's remove cops from big cities and see what happens. I believe Baltimore cops were told to stay back. As soon as it got dark, people were screaming about how the cops do nothing to protect their city.

Moey fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 30, 2015

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They know they can rely on the typical crowd of cop apologists to lap this excuse up and stop caring, no matter how ridiculous it is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Moey posted:

Let's remove cops from big cities and see what happens. I believe Baltimore cops were told to stay back. As soon as it got dark, people were screaming about how the cops do nothing to protect their city.

People objecting to professionals doing their jobs poorly are also objecting when those professionals disregard their jobs entirely?! What hypocrites! :hurr:

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
It looks like a major part of the fix is to ban public sector unions.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VitalSigns posted:

People objecting to professionals doing their jobs poorly are also objecting when those professionals disregard their jobs entirely?! What hypocrites! :hurr:

It seems to be a small percent who abuse their power. Law enforcement isn't paid great. Crime doesn't seem to be slowing down.

What fixes this?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Moey posted:

It seems to be a small percent who abuse their power. Law enforcement isn't paid great. Crime doesn't seem to be slowing down.

What fixes this?

Crime is slowing down, dramatically so in the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Foma posted:

Crime is slowing down, dramatically so in the last decade.

I'll take a stab that the urban neighborhoods are riddled with crime that they dont bother reporting.

I'm not supporting police violence, but in their shoes, your life is more important than someone who tries/wants take your life.

Foma posted:

It looks like a major part of the fix is to ban public sector unions.

Ban all unions then. Call it a day.

• Locked thread