Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
DDR3L is lower voltage, so you might need new RAM, maybe not.

Not sure if the same processors will get better performance with DDR4 or DDR3 of comparable clocks and spec throughput with these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Specifically DDR3L is 1.35v. They've been selling it for a while so you might be good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah for gently caress's sake. The i7-6700 non-K with the extended virtualization features is clocked pretty much the same as my i7-2600, whereas the i7-6700K, which I'd rather like, doesn't come with VT-d and poo poo. (--edit: Then again, I used VT-d only while experimenting with Xen and Linux' KVM. Keep hoping that PEG passthrough gets more reliable... any day now.)

Also, DDR3L doesn't mean regular DDR3, right? So I'd have to get new DIMMs regardless?

A 6700 has to have a significant IPC improvement over a 2600, no?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah for gently caress's sake. The i7-6700 non-K with the extended virtualization features is clocked pretty much the same as my i7-2600, whereas the i7-6700K, which I'd rather like, doesn't come with VT-d and poo poo. (--edit: Then again, I used VT-d only while experimenting with Xen and Linux' KVM. Keep hoping that PEG passthrough gets more reliable... any day now.)

That I7-K would be a serious threat to Xeons and selling 300$ X mainboards, can't have that now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

Specifically DDR3L is 1.35v. They've been selling it for a while so you might be good.
I just checked, mine are 1.5-1.65v. Meh. New RAM it is, hope DDR4 drops in price a lot.

KillHour posted:

A 6700 has to have a significant IPC improvement over a 2600, no?
Probably. But for an upgrade that should last another few years, the biggest gap possible would be nice. I guess I'll have to give up on VT-d for the next while.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just checked, mine are 1.5-1.65v. Meh. New RAM it is, hope DDR4 drops in price a lot.

Probably. But for an upgrade that should last another few years, the biggest gap possible would be nice. I guess I'll have to give up on VT-d for the next while.

What are you even using the VT-d for on a home machine?

sauer kraut posted:

That I7-K would be a serious threat to Xeons and selling 300$ X mainboards, can't have that now.

E3 Xeons tend to be better deals than non-K i7's anyways, assuming your motherboard supports them (many do).

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 28, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

I thought the current Broadwell chips already have much better overclocking headroom than the Haswells did?

I have a Haswell, so I didn't bother looking at Broadwell too closely but even mine overclocks fine for what I need (4.5ghz is no problem).

The base and turbo frequencies are so high these days that there's not really as big a percentage improvement through OCing compared to Nehalem (2.6->3.8 on the 920) or Sandy Bridge (4.7-4.8ghz).

I have a hard time thinking that you'd be able to OC these chips much beyond 4.8 if at all, and when the top turbo bin is already 4.2, that's just not much difference.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KillHour posted:

Mostly just experimenting with PCIe passthrough. Still trying to get a VM to boot with hardware accelerated graphics. Worked somewhat when I had an ATI card, but uptimes were rather short.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

I use it for PCI passthrough for an HBA to run ESXi on my all-in-one file and application services VM server. Still dicking around trying to setup iSCSI between VMs to avoid actually hitting the physical layer of the network unless I have to. Later on it'd be interesting to have thin clients running a media center that actually runs in a VM on my central server.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mostly just experimenting with PCIe passthrough. Still trying to get a VM to boot with hardware accelerated graphics. Worked somewhat when I had an ATI card, but uptimes were rather short.
Are you purple screening or are you using stuff other than ESXi? ESXi has been pretty solid for me and while I kind of hate how few things open source support vSphere, if I need to use Vagrant and test kitchen in a pinch, I'll just use an EC2 account and pay maybe $1.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When are they going to stop making new Devils Canyon processors? I might want to pick up an i7-4790K while I can.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

God drat it, I just bought some 1.5V DDR3 RAM thinking I would be able to put it into a new Skylake computer when the time came.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Best case scenario: overclocking enthusiast Z170 boards will have UniDIMM slots and be able to overvolt RAM and allow normal DDR3 sticks to run anyways.

Worst case scenario: none of the enthusiast boards will support DDR3L.

It's still too early to say, folks. No use in trying to futureproof now if you weren't lucky enough already.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Finally buying that low voltage DDR3 ram 4 years ago is paying off in spades. Suck it big ram.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
As far as I understand it, UniDIMM is supposed to be for SODIMMs only and incompatible with both standard DDR3 and DDR4 so you won't be using your old memory like that.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This is the part where I get down and pray that mobo makers hack up something nice. Goofy board with eight RAM slots, anyone?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This is the part where I get down and pray that mobo makers hack up something nice. Goofy board with eight RAM slots, anyone?

Costing enough over the standard model that you save like :10bux: over just buying DDR3L or DDR4 RAM :v:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I remember buying such a board a decade ago when making the switch from DDR to DDR2 at the same time when the AGP to PCIe transition was ongoing. I don't think it was especially expensive.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grapeshot posted:

As far as I understand it, UniDIMM is supposed to be for SODIMMs only and incompatible with both standard DDR3 and DDR4 so you won't be using your old memory like that.

My quiet hope was that we'd switch to the so-dimm format for desktop boards as well. It would simplify a lot of stuff and DDR4 is as good a time as ever.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Why do we still have the big DIMMs for desktops, anyway? Are there any technical advantages, or is it just inertia?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Grim Up North posted:

Why do we still have the big DIMMs for desktops, anyway? Are there any technical advantages, or is it just inertia?

Uh for blinking LEDs, duh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hace posted:

Uh for blinking LEDs, duh

Don't forget the ridiculous heat spreaders!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Grim Up North posted:

I remember buying such a board a decade ago when making the switch from DDR to DDR2 at the same time when the AGP to PCIe transition was ongoing. I don't think it was especially expensive.

I had one of those early Asrock socket 939 boards that had agp and PCI-e during that transition. I can't remember it being that great, but it was out at least.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

Don't forget the ridiculous heat spreaders!

I will never understand how people can think random metal spikes on their RAM are cool.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grim Up North posted:

I always assumed it was cheaper/easier for the RAM manufacturers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

I always assumed it was cheaper/easier for the RAM manufacturers.

On the other hand, two production lines vs. one. Laptop RAM isn't outrageously expensive either.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Grim Up North posted:

The sheer density of chips from high density compute server lines on DIMM boards cannot be achieved in SO-DIMM form factors, and servers are not going away - they'll go away after SO-DIMMs I would argue (no more laptops or small nettops being made, that is). You try putting 32 chips of the same size as what's on a typical DIMM now into a SO-DIMM and see how well that turns out.

The supposed trend to go towards "micro" servers that might use SO-DIMMs that some industry pundits tried to push back in 2012 as "the next thing for servers" didn't happen. Instead, Intel just made their Xeon lines a lot more power efficient and the raw performance loss going down to those Moonshot servers or whatever just wasn't worth it for pretty much anyone. If companies like Google and Amazon aren't using it for their massive farms, it is likely not as economically efficient as advertised.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

necrobobsledder posted:

The sheer density of chips from high density compute server lines on DIMM boards cannot be achieved in SO-DIMM form factors, and servers are not going away - they'll go away after SO-DIMMs I would argue (no more laptops or small nettops being made, that is). You try putting 32 chips of the same size as what's on a typical DIMM now into a SO-DIMM and see how well that turns out.

The supposed trend to go towards "micro" servers that might use SO-DIMMs that some industry pundits tried to push back in 2012 as "the next thing for servers" didn't happen. Instead, Intel just made their Xeon lines a lot more power efficient and the raw performance loss going down to those Moonshot servers or whatever just wasn't worth it for pretty much anyone. If companies like Google and Amazon aren't using it for their massive farms, it is likely not as economically efficient as advertised.

I was referring just to desktop. Server DIMM requirements are so far removed from desktop that there is effectively no overlap anyway.

Besides, the cap intel puts on the desktop cpu memory controller (32GB total, 8GB per DIMM) makes it worthless for any serious server usage.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Grim Up North posted:

Yea PCChips used to make boards like that they too. Great idea in theory. They even had some that supported slotted and socketed CPU's. Too bad they were all buggy and lovely. The ULi and SiS chipsets certainly didn't help either. I don't think anyone really tries to do stuff like that anymore which I guess is a good thing based on past attempts.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

EoRaptor posted:

I was referring just to desktop. Server DIMM requirements are so far removed from desktop that there is effectively no overlap anyway.

Besides, the cap intel puts on the desktop cpu memory controller (32GB total, 8GB per DIMM) makes it worthless for any serious server usage.
I can't answer that question directly, but I can hypothesize that it wouldn't solve the issue of two production lines like blowfish mentioned. I understand there's a difference between ECC and non-ECC RAM, but memory makers would still need to assemble for two different form factors.

vvv I am enlightened!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 30, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I can't answer that question directly, but I can hypothesize that it wouldn't solve the issue of two production lines like blowfish mentioned. I understand there's a difference between ECC and non-ECC RAM, but memory makers would still need to assemble for two different form factors.

We weren't talking only DIMM production lines, more that you'd stop producing a line to desktop DIMMs in favour of producing extra laptop SO-DIMMs. You've just saved a bunch of design, testing, and validation. There would be some savings in the retail channel, as server dimms are pretty rare there already, so the removal of an entire product line (desktop dimms) would clear inventory space and reduce inventory management.

You'd also make consumer MB design slightly easier, as the space requirements for memory slots would go down.

If you think that the design/testing/validation for server dimms shares anything with desktop dimms, be assured it doesn't. Beyond any ECC requirements, the DIMM itself needs to be much, much stricter on electrical tolerances to keep EM noise down, so larger banks of dimms (slots) can all be populated without errors creeping in. Even though it shares a basic shape with desktop dimms, there really isn't any relationship between them once you begin the design process.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The validation process is one thing but when chugging stuff through an assembly line, form factor does matter at least from a PCB form factor and machining perspective. The validation between RDIMMs and UDIMMs alone probably dwarfs that factor far more than between desktop DIMMs and UDIMMs.

In any case, simply getting rid of SO-DIMMs is not really feasible given so many desktops are still being produced for OEM channels that you're just kind of stuck with SO-DIMMs, DIMMs + UDIMMs, and RDIMMs as your production lines. Getting rid of things costs money too, and Lenovo, Dell, and HP make too many drat desktops still for dinosaur enterprise companies or low-end small businesses that still buy tower machines for end users out of probably stupid reasons. The day we replace those machines with some stupid Intel NUCs will be a good day for all if you ask me.

If any DRAM production line would disappear first, I would think UDIMMs because that's the "prosumer" line and it's already somewhat cheaper in some respects to just buy RDIMMs, enjoy your cheaper RAM (why 8GB UDIMMs cost more than 8GB RDIMMs now when it didn't use to be is beyond me), and suck up that you should be buying E5 CPUs with corresponding expensive motherboards. For me, the day I buy an E5 machine for a desktop is the day I just throw my hands up, buy a Mac Pro, and whine like a bitch. I'm still far more likely to buy an E5 in a server and if I need anything more I'll write some software to farm jobs out to the Cloud.

It's really curious how the E3 line still exists given the market segmentation trends by Intel. I thought for a while Google and Amazon may be using them as stupid cheap machines but evidently they all start at the lower end E5 machines for basic workhorse clusters (as I had hoped, honestly), so there goes that line of reasoning. It's not like AMD has enough volume to validate the entire existence of UDIMMs either.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

necrobobsledder posted:

between desktop DIMMs and UDIMMs.
what do you mean? A 'desktop' DIMM is an unbuffered DIMM

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Chips posted:

what do you mean? A 'desktop' DIMM is an unbuffered DIMM

Maybe unbuffered memory which is ECC?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
manufacturers/vendors are usually explicit if unbuffered RAM is also ECC.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The standard nomenclature I've seen is that UDIMM implies unbuffered with ECC. However, there's no such thing as "unregistered" DIMMs either. So there's RDIMMs for Registered DIMMs. Interestingly, I've also never seen anyone say RAM is "buffered" either in a somewhat formal spec. But to me as someone that's written logic circuits in HDLs, I use registers AS a buffer (as opposed to some filter or localized clock trees to avoid glitches from propagation delay), so I dunno why the terms are this way normally. It might help if I actually read about how to design DRAM but I kinda can't care enough to go that far.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
just to make things lovely and vague, plenty of OEMs will be selling 64-bit DDR3 modules they call UDIMMs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mobby_6kl posted:

These are supposedly the Skylake models:

Doesn't really tell us much besides the fact that there isn't a massive frequency jump.

Is this the first time that non-K versions have had completely different TDPs and frequencies?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This doesn't seem to relate to intel at all at first, but give it a read. Apparently a machine called the Datapoint 2200 was the embryo of the x86 architecture.

http://www.metafilter.com/149540/The-Texas-Instruments-TMX-1795-the-first-forgotten-microprocessor

quote:

n the late 60's and early 70's, the technology and market were emerging to set the stage for production of monolithic, single-chip CPUs. In 1969, A terminal equipment manufacturer met with Intel to design a processor that was smaller and would generate less heat than the dozens of TTL chips they were using. The resulting design was the 8008, which is well known as the predecessor to the x86 line of processors that are ubiquitous in desktop PC's today. Less well known though, is that Texas Instruments came up with a competing design, and due to development delays at Intel, beat them to production by about nine months.

http://www.righto.com/2015/05/the-texas-instruments-tmx-1795-first.html

quote:

As well as rejecting the TMX 1795, Datapoint also decided not to use the 8008 and gave up their exclusive rights to the chip. Intel, of course, commercialized the 8008, announcing it in April 1972. Two years later, Intel released the 8080, a microprocessor based on the 8008 but with many improvements. (Some people claim that the 8080 incorporates improvements suggested by Datapoint, but a close examination shows that later Datapoint architectures and the 8080 went in totally different directions.) The 8080 was followed by the x86 architecture, which was designed to extend the 8080. Thus, if you're using an x86 computer now, you're using a computer based on the Datapoint 2200 architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Some info on Skylake Xeons/Purley platform:
http://wccftech.com/massive-intel-xeon-e5-xeon-e7-skylake-purley-biggest-advancement-nehalem/

Kinda wondering whether they'll be publicly selling the ones with FPGA integration or if that slide is just formalizing the customized chip production they've been doing for big rear end customers.