Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is the latest Xcode beta stable? Because 6.3 is a piece of poo poo. It hangs on opening a project for me about 70% of the time now.

edit: hang on let's see what 6.3.1 can do just saw it

edit 1: well if I can get Updates to work god dammit my machine is cursed

lord funk fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

lord funk posted:

Is the latest Xcode beta stable? Because 6.3 is a piece of poo poo. It hangs on opening a project for me about 70% of the time now.

edit: hang on let's see what 6.3.1 can do just saw it

It's a huge bag of dicks. :flaccid:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 26, 2015

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

lord funk posted:

just get it from the developer website

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

status posted:

just get it from the developer website

Oh no the system update worked. There was just zero visible indication that anything was actually happening.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well tomorrow should be fun

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Oh no the system update worked. There was just zero visible indication that anything was actually happening.

I tucking hate that.

*Clicks Update button*
*Button turns gray and then nothing happens*
*Restarts App Store app, tries updating again*
*Update button turns gray and then it just sits there for 20 minutes*
"Ugh, I don't have time for this!"
*Suddenly it's done and the update is installed*

*The next day it wants you to install the same update again, then again and again, repeat ad nauseum*

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Security issue for any apps using AFNetworking 2: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/24/critical-https-bug-may-open-25000-ios-apps-to-eavesdropping-attacks/

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Working on IAP, and it is hilarious to me how detailed and helpful the implementation documentation is. I'm so not used to this coming from CoreAudio where the documentation is an empty header file.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm working on a phone app, and I want to adjust the UI so that on all phones it has the same set of common controls, but as the screens get bigger, more are shown; like, a iPhone 5 would show only the common controls with extra controls on other screens, but on a 6 you'd get the common controls and some of the extras, and on a 6+ you'd get even more. I've started looking over the new adaptive layout stuff, which looks cool for sizing things, but is there any functionality there for showing and hiding views based off of screen size? Or is this the sort of thing where I'll have to have a different view for each layout?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think you might need multiple views or conditional code layout. The adaptive stuff is good in a situation where, say, you have a scrollview with a bunch of controls, and on a bigger screen you simply see more of the scrollview, thus more of the controls. If you want to show a subset of "secondary" controls only on bigger screens, I think you'll have to poll to see if you're on a bigger screen via code.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks.

Second question, probably basic xcode setup that I'm unaware of. I'm including a third-party extension into my project, and since it's pulled from an external github repo, I have it in a directory under my project ("<project root>/<imported repo>"). The extension is swift, and extends String. When the swift file is in the root directory the extension shows up, but when it's in the repo directory, nothing. The repo directory has my target checked in its target membership. I assume all code doesn't have to live in the same place, so what do I need to do to get it recognized?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adaptive Layout can configure controls differently depending on the screen size, but it seems a bit crude to me. Also, your small screen devices will at least be taking on the workload of instantiation even if the control will never be visible to them, for instance.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks.

Second question, probably basic xcode setup that I'm unaware of. I'm including a third-party extension into my project, and since it's pulled from an external github repo, I have it in a directory under my project ("<project root>/<imported repo>"). The extension is swift, and extends String. When the swift file is in the root directory the extension shows up, but when it's in the repo directory, nothing. The repo directory has my target checked in its target membership. I assume all code doesn't have to live in the same place, so what do I need to do to get it recognized?

Have you added the extension file itself to your app target? Or did you import the third-party module? You'll need to do one or the other, not both.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

dupersaurus posted:

I'm working on a phone app, and I want to adjust the UI so that on all phones it has the same set of common controls, but as the screens get bigger, more are shown; like, a iPhone 5 would show only the common controls with extra controls on other screens, but on a 6 you'd get the common controls and some of the extras, and on a 6+ you'd get even more. I've started looking over the new adaptive layout stuff, which looks cool for sizing things, but is there any functionality there for showing and hiding views based off of screen size? Or is this the sort of thing where I'll have to have a different view for each layout?

The "Installed" setting is what this is exactly for. Click the little '+' to add a specific configuration (e.g. Compact Width) to make the view appear or not appear in that size class.

Unfortunately UIBarButtonItem being a unique snowflake bites again: you can't control them by size class which is one of the primary use cases of the feature.

If I weren't so busy doing other stuff I'd subclass UIBarButtonItem, make it @IBDesignable, and add size class configuration. Unfortunately another lazy mis-feature bites you in the rear end - If you subclass, IB sometimes dumps half the attribute editors that normally come with that control type so you have to override the properties to re-declare everything with the proper attributes (even then some of the editors aren't available to 3rd party classes no matter what you do).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Does anyone use a 3rd party library for IAP that they recommend? I keep seeing that it's not a good idea to use them for security reasons, but I'd rather have a solid implementation that makes the experience better for the user than trying to fumble through my own.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Basic IAP is pretty easy. StoreKit is well documented and easy to use. The only parts of IAP that can be a pain are implementing server-side verification and checking the App Store receipt file when the app launches.

Server-side verification can be a pain because you really should roll your own, yet pretty much all IAP server-side verification examples are so over-simplified that they're almost worthless (no checking that the receipt is for the app requesting verification, no storing receipts to catch & block people trying to re-use a valid receipt, assuming the script will only be for one app, assuming that you'll be available to edit the script to change over to checking Apple's production verification server when your app goes live, assuming that that's even a good idea, etc). Hope you know enough server-side web programming stuff to implement your own.

Checking the App Store receipt file in your app can be annoying. "LOL just build your own static OpenSSL library and link it into your app, then use it to parse and decrypt the receipt file, not that big of a deal guys!" More secure than just saving the purchase results in an SQLite database or an unencrypted plist (and yes, there are apps that do this :wtc:), though.

But the StoreKit stuff is really simple and easy. All the rest just depends on how hard you want to make it for people to steal your IAP. For a relatively expensive music app like TC-11, I'd assume you want it to require at least a little more effort than installing IAP Cracker.

If you do go the server-side verification route, make sure it's over SSL and that you're doing SSL pinning.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Basic IAP is pretty easy. StoreKit is well documented and easy to use. The only parts of IAP that can be a pain are implementing server-side verification and checking the App Store receipt file when the app launches.
Not looking to do server-side verification, just local verification. Does this make the app easily crackable?

And I was doing great on rolling StoreKit along until...

Doc Block posted:

"LOL just build your own static OpenSSL library and link it into your app, then use it to parse and decrypt the receipt file, not that big of a deal guys!"
This. Good lord. gently caress. Ahh. Why.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Have you added the extension file itself to your app target? Or did you import the third-party module? You'll need to do one or the other, not both.

I simply did the right click "add existing file" menu option on the folder.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Receigen supposedly generates receipt validation code for you in a manner that is obfuscated differently each time you run it. I bought it for a project and then didn't have cause to use it, but it didn't seem that bad beyond having to include openssl. Not sure how easily cracked the generated code is though.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Receigen supposedly generates receipt validation code for you in a manner that is obfuscated differently each time you run it. I bought it for a project and then didn't have cause to use it, but it didn't seem that bad beyond having to include openssl. Not sure how easily cracked the generated code is though.

That looks pretty good to me.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Not looking to do server-side verification, just local verification. Does this make the app easily crackable?

That's the problem - without server-side verification, they don't have to crack your app. IAP Cracker just intercepts calls to StoreKit and returns success when the user tries to buy something or restore purchases. Server-side verification bypasses this, assuming you use SSL and SSL certificate pinning so they can't just MITM your server-side verification too.

quote:

And I was doing great on rolling StoreKit along until...

This. Good lord. gently caress. Ahh. Why.

Technically, you don't have to verify the App Store receipt file. That's a separate thing that your app does on launch so it can find out what the user has already purchased, and also tells you when the purchased it, and even when they first got your app (so if you ever went from paid to freemium you could check the date the user first got your app and, if it was before it went freemium, unlock all features to keep your paid users happy).

But you can do what I did back when I wanted to keep iOS 6 compatibility (the App Store receipt stuff wasn't until iOS 7): put the purchases in an encrypted plist, with the password obfuscated enough that they can't find it by running strings on the binary. Doesn't do anything to prevent attacks like code injection, but the plist included a device-unique GUID so it couldn't be copied to other devices, and by encrypting it somebody couldn't edit it to say they bought everything.

Apparently somebody discovered that including a certain section in the binary causes the runtime linker to disallow code injection, you just have to pass a certain flag to the linker when compiling. Should hopefully prevent using code injection to steal IAP. I'll see if I can find the link.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The author of Receigen wrote about receipt validation for issue #17 of objc.io.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

Apparently somebody discovered that including a certain section in the binary causes the runtime linker to disallow code injection, you just have to pass a certain flag to the linker when compiling. Should hopefully prevent using code injection to steal IAP. I'll see if I can find the link.

Found the article: Blocking Code Injection on iOS and OS X.

edit: this, plus Receigen, plus server-side verification looks like a good solution.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 28, 2015

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Thanks for all the explanation. My only (huge) question remaining is how to do server-side verification. I've never done anything on a server other than host my website. Is there a tutorial / implementation you can recommend?

edit: and I would need to learn about securing my server, wouldn't I. :(

lord funk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 29, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Like I mentioned, most of the examples available are ridiculously oversimplified.

The gist of it is:
Your app makes a purchase request.
StoreKit does its thing, and if successful it returns a purchase receipt.
Your app passes the purchase receipt to your server, which then asks Apple's server if it's legit, and returns the result to your app.

Now, where it gets complicated is that it's possible to intercept this receipt, so IAP pirates will make a legit purchase, intercept the receipt, and then pass it around for everyone else to use. So naive server-side verification will fall victim to this attack, since it is a legit receipt.

Or they'll use a legit purchase receipt but one from an app with cheaper IAP. Naive server-side verification will fall victim to this too.

So your app has to pass some extra info to your server, such as its app ID, so the server can verify that the app ID in the receipt matches the app ID passed to it. Then, the server should record this receipt so it can look for it when verifying future purchases and disallow the purchase if the receipt has already been used.

It also should pass to your server which product the IAP is for, and have the server check it against Apple's returned data, so people can't pass a receipt for your app's $0.99 IAP as being for a more expensive one.

And on top of that you have to do it over SSL with SSL certificate pinning so pirates can't intercept your server-side verification.

Also, Apple has different verification servers for live apps and for testing. One problem with literally every server-side verification example I've seen is that they just have something like this in the script
code:

if SANDBOX=true {
    #use Apple's IAP sandbox verification server
} else {
    #use Apple's live IAP verification server
}
which is problematic for a number of reasons
  • What if your app gets approved in the middle of the night while you're asleep and you can't change the line that defines SANDBOX to false for a few hours? (Yes, yes, just set your app to manual release)
  • What if you have a live app, but are testing another app?
  • What if one version of your app is live, but you're testing a new version?
because apps that aren't signed with a distribution certificate have to use the IAP sandbox test verification server.

Since I never use the Release configuration for the actual release (instead I have a Distribution config that starts out as a copy of Release, but has APPSTORE_DISTRIBUTION=1 preprocessor directive defined in the build configuration), I would structure the verification API to take a boolean as to whether or not the app is using the IAP sandbox. Then, in the app you can have
Objective-C code:

NSMutableDictionary *apiDict = [NSMutableDictionary dictionary];

#if defined(APPSTORE_DISTRIBUTION) && APPSTORE_DSITRIBUTION==1
    apiDict[@"iap_sandbox"] = @(NO);
#else
    apiDict[@"iap_sandbox"] = @(YES);
#endif

//put receipt data, app ID, etc., into apiDict, turn apiDict into JSON, send it to your server, etc

So because of all this, as well as the need to make sure their server's verification API isn't vulnerable, a lot of developers just skip doing server-side verification.

fake edit: this was written on my phone and changed a lot before being posted, hopefully it's still understandable.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Is there some sort of trick to signing into a new iCloud account in the simulator?

I've tried it with three - my own (fails because I have two-step verification enabled), a foreign app store account, and one I just created today with its own email alias on my domain.

I get "user name or password wrong" for the latter two. I want to be able to use a separate account for development, but it seems to be rather difficult.

edit: Looks like I had to log into iCloud.com and agree to the terms to get it activated. That was totally obvious from "your username or password is invalid". :rolleyes:

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 1, 2015

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

lots of info

Thank you, that's incredibly helpful.

Sorry to keep filling up the thread with IAP woes, but has anyone run into an issue where the App Store keeps asking for your test account password? I made some test purchases with the sandbox account, and now the system keeps asking for the password. Not just when the app is open (or even installed!), but when you wake up the phone.

I thought it might be failed transactions retrying again and again, but I'm calling -[SKPaymentQueue finishTransaction:], and the transaction queue is empty at launch. Plus why would it still ask if the app isn't even installed?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
If anyone has some free time and wants to beta test my new app (with bonus Watch app) please PM me your email.

It's a small app that just tells you the name(s) of the neighborhood you are in, or you can long-press on the map to find a specific neighborhood. Then you can save pins, tag them with different colors, and give the pins names/notes. The watch glance and app just show you where you are the name of the neighborhood, along with a Save button to make a pin out of it without taking your phone out of your pocket.

V2 will bring CloudKit syncing of saved places, jump to pin, searching, and more tools for sorting/organizing saved locations just because that's something I find myself wanting fairly often.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Thank you, that's incredibly helpful.

Sorry to keep filling up the thread with IAP woes, but has anyone run into an issue where the App Store keeps asking for your test account password? I made some test purchases with the sandbox account, and now the system keeps asking for the password. Not just when the app is open (or even installed!), but when you wake up the phone.

I thought it might be failed transactions retrying again and again, but I'm calling -[SKPaymentQueue finishTransaction:], and the transaction queue is empty at launch. Plus why would it still ask if the app isn't even installed?

Did you log back into your normal Apple ID after you were done testing the IAP?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Did you log back into your normal Apple ID after you were done testing the IAP?

Kind of tough to keep track of it, but I've gotten it to happen this way:

1. Sign out of my normal Apple ID
2. Purchase an IAP with the test account ID (it completes)
3. Exit the app, put the device to sleep
4. Wake up the device and the system asks for the test account ID

Signing out and back into my normal ID then switches to asking for my normal ID password.

Also gotten to happen this way:

1. While signed into my normal ID...
2. Start a purchase, but cancel it before entering my normal ID password
3. Exit the app, put the device to sleep
4. Wake up the device and the system asks for my normal ID

The only way to get it to stop is a backup restore of the device.

edit: I'm just starting over cleanly and trying to catch where this starts happening

lord funk fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 1, 2015

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Ended up getting a WWDC ticket today, yay for a break from a pre release sprint.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Am I correct that you cannot use XCTest to check whether the files you expect to be added to your app bundle are actually added to your app bundle, because your test will have its own, separate bundle?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

lord funk posted:

Am I correct that you cannot use XCTest to check whether the files you expect to be added to your app bundle are actually added to your app bundle, because your test will have its own, separate bundle?

You can try bundleForClass:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Kallikrates posted:

You can try bundleForClass:

This will return the test bundle.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lord funk posted:

This will return the test bundle.

No it won't, it'll return the bundle containing the class you ask about. And +[NSBundle mainBundle] will return the bundle for the controlling executable of the process, either the app into which tests were injected, or the xctest tool if you're running tests for a framework under OS X or iOS Simulator.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

eschaton posted:

No it won't, it'll return the bundle containing the class you ask about. And +[NSBundle mainBundle] will return the bundle for the controlling executable of the process, either the app into which tests were injected, or the xctest tool if you're running tests for a framework under OS X or iOS Simulator.

I guess what I observed was that asking for +[NSBundle bundleForClass:[MyCustomClass class]] was returning the same bundle as +[NSBundle bundleForClass:[self class]] when run in the test.

But I don't know how I missed that +[NSBundle mainBundle] was what I needed all along. Thanks!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

What do I put in Organization Identifier/Name when I'm working on a GPL thing I downloaded?

It's ./configure && make-style build & I'm just creating an xcode project to import it into the "External Build System" template

e: nevermind, it makes a project when i drag & drop the folder into the window

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 8, 2015

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Anyone do any hiring? I'm having some trouble coming up with quality/engaging/whatever questions for a (most likely senior level) position in iOS development.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

status posted:

Anyone do any hiring? I'm having some trouble coming up with quality/engaging/whatever questions for a (most likely senior level) position in iOS development.

How autorelease works, as low-level as you can go

How Core Animation works, as low-level as you can go (layers and animations)

Difference between UIView and CALayers

GCD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I wouldn't really expect a whole lot of autorelease knowledge these days...maybe the specifics of ARC instead?

edit; unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at here..?

dc3k fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 11, 2015