Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I had a burrito a few Fridays ago and lost 8 pounds over the weekend. That was a bad burrito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

Burrito elitism in this thread is completely out of control. Burritos are an American invention (well, invented in America, for Americans, by Mexicans, anyway).

A burrito is a tortilla wrapped round some kind of mexican-flavored stuff. There is no further definition that is universally applicable and correct.

When people in this thread say "good" or "bad" about a burrito, it's almost never qualified by any sort of description whatsoever. You have at least bothered to mention why that bad burrito was bad, which is a gigantic step forward in our burrito discussions, but you failed to say why any of the good burritos you had were good, leaving us a bit cold. Then you went and sabotaged the value of your opinions about burritos with some dumb stupid thing about lettuce being evil.

There are delicious burritos that contain lettuce and there are delicious burritos that do not contain lettuce.

No, because lettuce is flavorless filler.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

There are delicious burritos that contain lettuce

I am sorry that you like inferior burritos. I'll eat burritos with lettuce, because burritos are good, but why eat one with lettuce when it's automatically better without it?

Leperflesh posted:

When people in this thread say "good" or "bad" about a burrito, it's almost never qualified by any sort of description whatsoever.

To me, the best burritos have good meat that isn't overdone or gristly or sitting around for a long time (I usually get carne asada or carnitas), and it has fresh non-poo poo pico de gallo with a lot of peppers in it (serranos are best) and/or onions and cilantro, avocado (guacamole is good, but I prefer plain avocado), beans (refried or whole pinto beans), and good hot sauce. Sour cream, cheese, french fries is optional if I'm in the mood for it, and as much as I poo poo on rice, it tastes fine...i just prefer rice to be replaced with more meat or beans or salsa or whatever, because rice doesn't taste like much.

Thank you for listening to my very important burrito opinions.

And speaking of pico de gallo, maybe I'm dumb and can't remember poo poo right, but I'm pretty sure people used to mostly call it "salsa" (because that's what it is), at least around here...until around 10 years ago, and then every white person in the US and Canada started calling it "pico de gallo" most of the time. I've even run into a couple people who tried to correct me when I called it "salsa", which is like correcting someone for referring to cheddar as "cheese".

Leperflesh posted:

Burritos are an American invention (well, invented in America, for Americans, by Mexicans, anyway).

That's true for most burritos you find in the US, but there are also Mexican burritos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito

quote:

Burritos are a traditional food of Ciudad Juárez, a city in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua, where people buy them at restaurants and roadside stands. Northern Mexican border towns like Villa Ahumada have an established reputation for serving burritos. Authentic Mexican burritos are usually small and thin, with flour tortillas containing only one or two ingredients: some form of meat or fish, potatoes, rice, beans, asadero cheese, chile rajas, or chile relleno.[14] Other types of ingredients may include barbacoa, mole, refried beans and cheese, and deshebrada (shredded slow-cooked flank steak). The deshebrada burrito also has a variation with chile colorado (mild to moderately hot) and salsa verde (very hot). The Mexican burrito may be a northern variation of the traditional taco de Canasta, which is eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.[citation needed]

Although burritos are one of the most popular examples of Mexican cuisine outside of Mexico, in Mexico they are only popular in the northern part of the country. However, they are beginning to appear in some nontraditional venues in other parts of Mexico. Wheat flour tortillas used in burritos are now often seen throughout much of Mexico (possibly due to these areas being less than optimal for growing maize), despite at one time being particular to northwestern Mexico, the Southwestern US Mexican American community, and Pueblo Indian tribes.

Burritos are commonly called tacos de harina (wheat flour tacos) in central and southern Mexico and burritas (feminine variation, with 'a') in northern-style restaurants outside of northern Mexico proper. A long and thin fried burrito similar to a chimichanga is prepared in the state of Sonora and vicinity, and is called a chivichanga.[15]

edit: I've never had an authentic Mexican burrito (maybe that sad burrito I had in San Diego was a bad example of one though). They sound good.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
San Diego laughs at others burrito scenes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lettuce isn't there for flavor, it's there for texture or perhaps wetness, either of which can be desirable depending on the ingredient mix. A little crunch is great for mouth feel. I'm not saying it's a required ingredient, it absolutely is not, but it can be nice especially in a burrito that is otherwise quite mushy in texture, such as when using a pulled-pork wet meat, refried beans instead of whole beans, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese. That's a whole lot of delicious melty goodness, but some lettuce gives it a little better bite.

Rice is a very traditional filling to help boost the carb load, and because beans + rice is a complete protein. It is again not necessary, but strictly speaking you could live on nothing but burritos containing beans, rice, some source of essential vitamins including vitamin c (salsa will do this, guac probably does too), and water, for a really long time. (You also need a source of fat, but tortillas provide enough of that, and the beans have a little as well.)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

(You also need a source of fat, but tortillas provide enough of that, and the beans have a little as well.)

Finally, a way to justify double carnitas.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

I first read that as "Oxnard" and I was impressed with your courage in eating from a truck in Oxnard.

I'll have you know I only had a little bit of diarrhea after eating from a truck in Oxnard.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Chinatown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxB-H6f3crY

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Burritos are loving Mexican. The burrito everyone thinks of was invented by Mexicans, using Mexican ingredients, in California, which is Mexico.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kenning posted:

in California
Chu mean Califas ese?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get it right people, it is Alta California.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

It's true, there is very little to love in Oxnard. But if you're passing through, the Carne Asada Burrito at El Taco De Mexico on 5th Street is the motherfucking bomb diggity. Most of the time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Im eating rolled tacos with guac & cheese. :feelsgood:

teleolurian
Jan 6, 2015

Chinatown posted:

(picture of tiny burrito)

That's a nice medium size mission burrito you've got there friend

Posted from palo alto on my mac

EDIT: Hopefully it was obvious :smug:

teleolurian fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 13, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeqRaS6YrcU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jesus. He doesn't even chew.

That can't be good for you.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

lol if you waste your only set of teeth chewing on poo poo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
http://iscaliforniaonfire.com/

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rah! posted:

I got a burrito from a truck in Oakland that has 4.5 stars on yelp, and it was more like a 3 star burrito. Based on my giant sample size, I declare SF the winner :smugbert:

edit: best burritos in CA I've ever had were from SF, Salinas, San Jose, Desert Hot Springs, and San Diego. Worst one I've ever had was also from San Diego. All that was in it was extra chewy/tough/bland carnitas, sauteed onions, and 5 gallons of grease...it tasted decent enough because I was stoned out of my mind and it's hard to hate any burrito, but :wtc:

Also why does the mission burrito example on the burrito wikipedia page have lettuce in it? Only poo poo places have lettuce, and only poo poo people want lettuce in there. People who like lettuce in burritos are even worse than people who need to have rice.

I'm sorry, but did you say Desert Hot Springs? Where in that area is there a burrito that is better than what you can get from some poor Mexicans in Indio or The other poor areas of the Coachella Valley?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

El Jebus posted:

I'm sorry, but did you say Desert Hot Springs? Where in that area is there a burrito that is better than what you can get from some poor Mexicans in Indio or The other poor areas of the Coachella Valley?

I'm sure there's somewhere. Laborers gotta eat too.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

El Jebus posted:

A Mexican restaurant that was run by Mexican people, that made some drat good Mexican food. Desert Hot Springs is over 50% Latino, dude (mostly Mexican of course). Also, I've never been to Indio....I'm sure there's great Mexican food all over the Coachella valley, I never said there wasn't.

EDIT: also, since you mentioned poor areas: Desert Hot Springs has a poverty rate of about 30%, which is kind of high (it also has a pretty high crime rate). It does have tourists because of the hot springs and its status as a cheaper vacation alternative to Palm Springs, but it's definitely not a town overrun by wealthy people or anything.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rah! posted:

A Mexican restaurant that was run by Mexican people, that made some drat good Mexican food. Desert Hot Springs is over 50% Latino, dude (mostly Mexican of course). Also, I've never been to Indio....I'm sure there's great Mexican food all over the Coachella valley, I never said there wasn't.

EDIT: also, since you mentioned poor areas: Desert Hot Springs has a poverty rate of about 30%, which is kind of high (it also has a pretty high crime rate). It does have tourists because of the hot springs and its status as a cheaper vacation alternative to Palm Springs, but it's definitely not a town overrun by wealthy people or anything.

I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or anything, I'm genuinely curious where to get an awesome burrito in DHS. I live in Indio but I have a friend I ride with that lives in DHS so I'm over there occasionally. I also wasn't trying to say other parts are poorer, just closer and with some rockin burritos.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

El Jebus posted:

I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or anything, I'm genuinely curious where to get an awesome burrito in DHS. I live in Indio but I have a friend I ride with that lives in DHS so I'm over there occasionally. I also wasn't trying to say other parts are poorer, just closer and with some rockin burritos.

I'd love to tell you what the place in Desert Hot springs is, but I was there like 15 years ago, and can't remember the name. It might not even be there anymore, and maybe I'm even misremembering how good the burrito was, I dunno...but it stuck in my memory this long, unlike countless other burritos, so I think I'm remembering right and am probably not an entirely crazy person. It was on a main street (one of what..two main streets in DHS?) and I think it was within a few blocks of a mortuary, if that helps at all. Which is why the meat was so good, no doubt :unsmigghh:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

incoherent posted:

Stay safe Northern mordor California :(

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Leperflesh posted:

I assume all of these eating contest people give a few victory pumps when its over and then promptly throw it all up?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Driving is fine, finding a parking space sucks
I swear to god, my friends apartment in The Richmond has gotten harder to park near every year for the past 8+ years. Also, burrito chat is a mirage because there is a strong relationship between how good a burrito tastes and how hungry/desperate for it you are.

The Butte fire is now approximately 4 miles north of my Aunt and Uncles house north of Murphys and approaching :ohdear:

cheese fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 16, 2015

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Wait, what is this magic liquid coming from the sky?

Unrelated I was near Humboldt camping this past weekend and the sky was just brown and orange from all the smoke. Never saw any flames but man, it reminded me of living near the highway 41 and 46 fires of the early 90s.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Greetings Californians! I live here now. I have brought gifts of rain and humidity, and plan to muck up your culture with my disgusting Philly accent.

Haven't bought a house yet, because holy poo poo, how does anyone live here? Thinking of settling down somewhere in San Diego county, Fallbrook/Vista/San Marcos/Escondido areas. Anywhere I should avoid?

Also the DMV is confusing. I guess I have to get a license before I can register my car. I have to take a written test and a smog test apparently.

KoB
May 1, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Greetings Californians! I live here now. I have brought gifts of rain and humidity, and plan to muck up your culture with my disgusting Philly accent.

Haven't bought a house yet, because holy poo poo, how does anyone live here? Thinking of settling down somewhere in San Diego county, Fallbrook/Vista/San Marcos/Escondido areas. Anywhere I should avoid?

Also the DMV is confusing. I guess I have to get a license before I can register my car. I have to take a written test and a smog test apparently.

Take Test. Get license. Apply to register, they will tell you to get the smog test done on the car. Mechanic will do the test and send the info back to the DMV.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FogHelmut posted:

San Diego County is one of the most over-priced areas in the state. There are other places that are more expensive (San Francisco, parts of LA), but there's almost nothing that costs as much as San Diego while sucking as much as San Diego. I have a lot of family in the greater San Diego area, including a brother who is trying to find a good place for his sons to go to school, and the housing market is ridiculous down there. I'm saying this as someone who lives in the Bay Area.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kenning posted:

San Diego County is one of the most over-priced areas in the state. There are other places that are more expensive (San Francisco, parts of LA), but there's almost nothing that costs as much as San Diego while sucking as much as San Diego. I have a lot of family in the greater San Diego area, including a brother who is trying to find a good place for his sons to go to school, and the housing market is ridiculous down there. I'm saying this as someone who lives in the Bay Area.

My wife is from Orange County and refuses to live in the desert so I'm basically screwed on that front. I'm trying to find some kind of reasonable medium.

KoB
May 1, 2009
All of Southern California is a desert.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Come to The Coachella Valley! Enjoy our decent house prices, our low levels of traffic, and our great golf courses!

And 120+ temps in the summer, way too many old people, 2 weekends when we are flooded by people that go to Coachella Fest, and only 1 decent brewery...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

KoB posted:

All of Southern California is a desert.

Sorry I mean she wont live in the part of the desert that isn't stealing water from Northern California.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

My wife is from Orange County and refuses to live in the desert so I'm basically screwed on that front. I'm trying to find some kind of reasonable medium.

Come to the Inland Empire! The only freeway out of the area partially collapsed yesterday because of rain and it took me 2 1/2 hours to get to work today!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^
No one takes the 91 through Corona anyhow.

FogHelmut posted:

Sorry I mean she wont live in the part of the desert that isn't stealing water from Northern California.
You could more to norcal. That is where the civilization is.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

FogHelmut posted:

If you're both making good salaries, I'd recommend living further west than Vista/San Marcos/Escondido. If I had to pick one out of those 3, I'd pick San Marcos I guess. Do not live in Oceanside unless you want to be surrounded by stressed-out military families screaming at each other and their kids all the time. Carlsbad has a lot of old people besides that one strip of bars that's a brofest trainwreck every weekend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

If you're both making good salaries, I'd recommend living further west than Vista/San Marcos/Escondido. If I had to pick one out of those 3, I'd pick San Marcos I guess. Do not live in Oceanside unless you want to be surrounded by stressed-out military families screaming at each other and their kids all the time. Carlsbad has a lot of old people besides that one strip of bars that's a brofest trainwreck every weekend.

I think we were making "good money" where we came from, but that's not the case around here. The property taxes are a lot lower, so that helps. But I think our upper limit on a house right now is like $450k, which doesn't get you much near the coast. But $3000 a year in property taxes here vs $6000 a year in NJ on a house that costs less, I don't know if you get more house for your monthly payment or not.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

FogHelmut posted:

I think we were making "good money" where we came from, but that's not the case around here. The property taxes are a lot lower, so that helps. But I think our upper limit on a house right now is like $450k, which doesn't get you much near the coast. But $3000 a year in property taxes here vs $6000 a year in NJ on a house that costs less, I don't know if you get more house for your monthly payment or not.

Property tax in CA is 1%, so a 450K house will be $4,500 a year. In addition there can be some local assessments, bonds for schools, that kind of thing.

It sounds like you're picking San Diego but don't have to physically live somewhere in particular for a job?

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
My mate is buying a motorhome and I'm meeting him in LA and we are going to be roadtripping, I'm going for 3 weeks and he's going to be staying for longer.

So starting in Los Angeles CA how far could I travel in 3 weeks? I want to book flights home to AUS before I leave and I don't know where I could be in 3 weeks. I know it depends on quite a lot of things like tourist-y stops and poo poo like that but a ballpark area would help me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Coleridge49 posted:

My mate is buying a motorhome and I'm meeting him in LA and we are going to be roadtripping, I'm going for 3 weeks and he's going to be staying for longer.

So starting in Los Angeles CA how far could I travel in 3 weeks? I want to book flights home to AUS before I leave and I don't know where I could be in 3 weeks. I know it depends on quite a lot of things like tourist-y stops and poo poo like that but a ballpark area would help me out.

You could conceivably drive across the country if you wanted to in that time.

LA (4 days) to Las Vegas (3 days) to Denver (4 days) to Kansas City (3 days) to Chicago (4 days) to NYC (4 days).

The first day of driving would be very short, the last day of driving very long.

You could also do up and down the coast. It's only 2 hours to San Diego, then 9 hours to San Francisco and 9 hours to Portland. Then it's less than 3 hours to Seattle and 3 hours to Vancouver, BC (Canada).

Edit: Just play around with Google Maps for a few hours.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 3, 2015

• Locked thread