Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sort of like the Highlander TV series, except with decapitation instead of finding true love.

Well, the Highlander show kind of had to retcon a lot of stuff because the first movie ended with literally one Immortal left, making the shtick hard to do. (I may be biased because I watched the whole series on Netflix last year and like it. It's not... great, or anything, but it's probably the best part of the franchise after the first film.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The series is fun in a kind of campy nineties way. I'm into that sort of thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And drat it if that scene of the demon offering Joe his legs wasn't loving heartbreaking. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Highlander was the first TV show to make me cry. (The episode with the mentally handicapped Highlander.) Granted, I was like 10 or 11, but still.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It also had an episode where MacLeod stared angrily at Joan Jett while it occasionally cut to two people in their clothes having a sword fight.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The things I remember the most about Highlander TV are the pilot having Connor (Conner?), the villain being Richard Moll from Night Court and having a sword where the pommel (?) was a surprise projectile, and how Duncan's apprentice ( Ricky or whatever) was loving annoying. I guess Amanda was cool. (And Methos?)

At some point 15 years ago my friends and I played the Highlander card game and I remember being very proud that I had that pommel projectile in card form. Memories...

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

The things I remember the most about Highlander TV are the pilot having Connor (Conner?), the villain being Richard Moll from Night Court and having a sword where the pommel (?) was a surprise projectile, and how Duncan's apprentice ( Ricky or whatever) was loving annoying. I guess Amanda was cool. (And Methos?)

At some point 15 years ago my friends and I played the Highlander card game and I remember being very proud that I had that pommel projectile in card form. Memories...

Roger Daltrey was also awesome. That show was like a showcase for musicians trying to act. On the plus side, it was fun watching the guy from Fine Young Cannibals chew scenery. It wasn't bad as long as you didn't take it too seriously.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Methos is the best. Peter Wingfield needs to be in comics related things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The second half of each season was shot in Paris, so they'd have appearances from British and European actors who weren't yet well known. There's one episode in season one where Marion Cotillard appears as the daughter of an Immortal mafia boss; the same episode also features Anthony Stewart Head doing an American accent (:stare:) while the first Amanda episode had Jason Isaacs playing the evil Immortal of the week.

I also enjoyed: the episode where Geraint Wyn Davies played an Immortal who had a girlfriend called Janette during the First World War (because it was a Forever Knight referece); and the one where the flashbacks revolve around Amanda and Nicholas Lea's character playing an Immortal Bonnie and Clyde in the 1920s, with MacLeod having to dig them up every time they were shot dead by the police so they could start over.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Wheat Loaf posted:

The second half of each season was shot in Paris.

Wait. Why was this?

Oh god. Forever Knight.

I forgot about Daltrey and the guy from FYC. That's amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

Wait. Why was this?

Joint production with a French company run by a guy who was friends with Christopher Lambert, I believe.

quote:

Oh god. Forever Knight.

Hey, Forever Knight was great. It was cheap, but it was great.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Joint production with a French company run by a guy who was friends with Christopher Lambert, I believe.

Hey, Forever Knight was great. It was cheap, but it was great.

Ah. Re: the French thing.

Now that I think about it, Forever Knight was a progenitor of Twilight, but I doubt Meyer ever saw it.

Edit: Wasn't part of the Methos plot that he was one of the four horseman? That was cool.

I apologize if this was a significant derail, but I doubt there's a Highlander thread, though I wouldn't be surprised..

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 29, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Methos was one of the Four Horsemen; Kronos (one of his partners) was the main villain in season four. As for Forever Knight, there's an interview on DVD sets in which James D. Parriott (the creator) and Geraint Wyn Davies (the lead) say the series was aiming for a kind of Anne Rice idea; that was the main influence, and the Lestat series has obviously been an enduring influence on a lot of subsequent vampire fiction one way or another (whether it's Buffy, Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, whatever), probably second only to Dracula.

You can probably put all this stuff in the same continuum of genre television as superhero shows. :shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The best thing about Forever Knight is the original pilot starred none other than Rick Springfield

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ryan Phillipe as Danny Rand?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've seen that guy's butt more times than I'd care to admit. Which...I'm admitting.

Shouldn't they get someone with a martial arts background, even with all the stunt doubles they could use?

Also: blah blah ew white guy yada yada ugh.

Well, it's just speculation at this point anyway. Still...meh.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I think he has a black belt in taekwando per the Daredevil thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'll still hold out hope for Dan Stevens. But this is fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
They just need to be careful with the stunts. I've been concerned about Ryan since Heath Ledger and Paul Walker passed.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Apparently there's a rumor going around that the Supergirl and Flash/Arrow Spinoff traiers are going to drop on May 14

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scyantific posted:

Apparently there's a rumor going around that the Supergirl and Flash/Arrow Spinoff traiers are going to drop on May 14

It's not so much a rumor as it is a fact. The CBS and CW upfronts are on that day. That's when they show trailers for all the new shows next year.

EDIT: Actually CBS is on 5/13 so expect Supergirl then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I think he has a black belt in taekwando per the Daredevil thread.

Not just per the thread, per the wiki that exists for this sort of thing!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Deadpool posted:

It's not so much a rumor as it is a fact. The CBS and CW upfronts are on that day. That's when they show trailers for all the new shows next year.

EDIT: Actually CBS is on 5/13 so expect Supergirl then.

Yeah I was just getting home and checking my feeds when I saw that. Checked again and yep, poo poo's official.

So hyped now :buddy:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As far as the spinoff, I'm not sure they've actually shot anything for that yet have they? I know they've cast several parts but I never heard about a pilot filming. I'd guess if it's just a straight order and didn't go through pilot season they probably won't shoot anything for a few months.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They may have shot some Hawkgirl stuff for the Flash finale, and they can splice together some shots of the rest of the cast with a generic voiceover or chyrons to do the rest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's kind of old for the part.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The spinoff trailer could just be a teaser with Atom/Cold/Canary/Stein.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Jeremy Renner's 44. It's weird, but not too weird.

I'd be more concerned about his chemistry with Luke Cage. I don't think Phillippe's a bad actor or anything but he always seemed more like a gruff 'n tuff mumblin' sort of guy and not a "wacky adventures with his bros" kind of guy. Like...y'know, an unfunny Channing Tatum, basically. :xd:

Of course I could be wrong. I mean, Charlie Cox was in Stardust.

And, again, all speculation so far anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Iron Fist shouldn't just be white, he should be friggin' superwhite. Starbucks-drinking, bro-hanging, Prius-driving, Ivy League popped collar sandy blond WASP as all gently caress. Let's break the tumblrnet here.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, Arrow just stopped being subtle with the HIVE references and Batman comparisons now. Ra's literally giving his daughter away for marriage.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Scyantific posted:

Welp, Arrow just stopped being subtle with the HIVE references and Batman comparisons now. Ra's literally giving his daughter away for marriage.

You might want to mention what your spoiler is actually for so people don't have to get spoiled to find out

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that has to be one of the worst examples of using spoiler tags I've ever seen. I mean I've seen posts completely in tags before, but usually that's in the middle of an ongoing conversation or when quoting someone.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
For everyone else: it's a spoiler about tonight's episode of Arrow.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Deadpool posted:

I'll still hold out hope for Dan Stevens. But this is fine.

Why would you say this :( Now I won't be able to accept anyone else.

(Though Stevens would be a great evil 50's Cap too)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If they have to go with a Caucasian actor for Danny, I've been thinking either Stevens or Ben Foster, who is an incredible, underrated actor.

But it would be a great opportunity to cast an Asian or even biracial actor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That doesn't make it better and might actually be a little worse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they really wanted to do something different they should cast a woman as Iron Fist, because man, erudite millionairess turning into kung fu master has literally never been done before to my knowledge.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jaime King in Bulletproof Monk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dan Stevens probably wouldn't want to have to beat off a bunch more American actors for the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But it would be a great opportunity to cast an Asian or even biracial actor.

A big part of Danny Rand's character is he's a spoiled rich white kid who is viewed as an outsider and told that he doesn't belong in the places he frequents most: K'un-Lun and Harlem.