Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo I demand a 500cc setting

Do it

now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's also a new IP on the WiiU, so I doubt it's gonna sell much either. The game itself looks decent, but things aren't looking good for it.

Rather pessimistic, I'd say. Nintendo sure aren't: They've replaced the Wii U + Smash Bros-bundle with the Wii U + Splatoon one. This nearly caught me by surprise because the shops removed the Smash Bros-bundle that I was going to buy today. Luckily another store had some copies left, so I don't have to wait for the end of the month for the Splatoon-flavoured bundle. I'll get a copy anyway.

And yes, I'm getting a Wii U. :toot:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

The Taint Reaper posted:

the single player doesn't play like galaxy

Do you miss Vanilla World of Warcraft Alterac Valley Honor Farming Matches? If so then Splatoon is the game for you because you are going to be grinding for points for gear 90% of the game when the newness wears off.

If you choose to grind in this cute online FPS it's your own fault

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rexroom posted:

And yes, I'm getting a Wii U. :toot:

Welcome to the fold!

If I buy the DLC pack for MK, do I still get the yoshi and shy guy color variations, or is that no longer a thing?

I'm pretty excited for Splatoon, but I wish voice chat with friends was a thing. That said, how will local multiplayer work? Will the Pro controller or wii-mote work?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Welcome to the fold!

If I buy the DLC pack for MK, do I still get the yoshi and shy guy color variations, or is that no longer a thing?

I'm pretty excited for Splatoon, but I wish voice chat with friends was a thing. That said, how will local multiplayer work? Will the Pro controller or wii-mote work?

Those are for if you buy both DLC packs together, I think.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hmm, that's a good question. I presume the pro controller will be used, but maybe they'll do something with the wiimote. Or not. As for the local multiplayer, that's just a two player balloon popping race, which is more for practice purposes. The real meat is in the 4v4 multiplayer.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Rexroom posted:

Hmm, that's a good question. I presume the pro controller will be used, but maybe they'll do something with the wiimote. Or not. As for the local multiplayer, that's just a two player balloon popping race, which is more for practice purposes. The real meat is in the 4v4 multiplayer.

The lack of local, online multiplayer is kinda killing my enthusiasm for Splatoon.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll have to think about it then. The game looks fun but if I can't have a buddy over to play together online, I might not get it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
It was kinda given the local multiplayer will be strictly that, since the gamepad works as a game map from which you can teleport to new locations. And since it's one of the central elements in the game, there's very little solutions for a local online multiplayer to work. Except for an extra gamepad, but you know how that is.

But who knows, maybe Nintendo will think of something in future updates.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i have just ordered my premium wiiu with the two nmsb u games and mario kart 8.

i will be gaming alongside you all as of tomorrow :>

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Heads up, looks like a worldwide Splatoon Direct is coming May 7th, 11PM Japan time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Twitch link to it: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk?utm_medium=Nintendo+UK&utm_source=twitter

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
For UK goons just wanting the game itself, SimplyGames has a deal today that basically lets you get Splatoon for under £25.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

Seriously, look at Mario Kart 8. That game's online probably just got revitalized with the new update and DLC pack.

Also the great thing about Mario Kart 8 is that even with pretty poo poo internet it barely lags. It actually sort of fudges the racer's positions as close as it can so you can't really tell in most cases, where with something like Smash Bros a laggy connection means the game is no fun for anyone.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah I don't know what the problem with the Wii U wireless is. I have a pretty baller router, and I can stream 1080p without issues to my Chromecast, but I can't get anything but a total slideshow in Smash online, no matter what I do. Totally frustrating.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hi thread. We have a Wii U at the office for smash brothers but I was wondering if any other games support the gamecube controllers?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

oddium posted:

animal forest was limited by n64 tech and every subsequent animal crossing has just been minor improvements. i want to see a real overhaul

I was surprised by how small the map is in New Leaf, it's gotta be a deliberate choice and not a technical limitation but come on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

A MIRACLE posted:

Hi thread. We have a Wii U at the office for smash brothers but I was wondering if any other games support the gamecube controllers?

You can install homebrew stuff on Wii mode that'll allow you to play GameCube games that allow you to use GC controllers. Aside from that, not really.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Paper Mario 64 is coming to the WiiU virtual console today, yeah? Still have the N64 cart but hell yeah I'll buy it again for off TV play.

e: It's up now!

e2: holy poo poo, the eShop theme is MK8's Big Blue and it loving owns

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 30, 2015

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Paper Mario 64 is coming to the WiiU virtual console today, yeah? Still have the N64 cart but hell yeah I'll buy it again for off TV play.

Yes! There it is! Thanks for posting about this -- I have it on the Wii VC and have been hoping I could upgrade it at some point to the Wii U. Now all I need is for Super Mario RPG to be upgradable... :sigh:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The amiibo touch and play thing is kind of neat way to kill a few minutes I guess? I scanned Link and got Legend of Zelda (Dunno if that's a coinicidence or if they're actually tied to their series) It's got 8 scenes (each scene has a 3 minute time limit) and you can skip straight to the next one by scanning the amiibo again. The first scene was the beginning of the game and the other seven were boss fights.

That's the only amiibo I have though so I'll probably never use it again. It's probably cool if you have like 20 amiibos and aren't afraid of taking them out of the boxes

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
whats the difference between the wii vc and the wiiu vc and why is upgrading beneficial?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

VideoGames posted:

whats the difference between the wii vc and the wiiu vc and why is upgrading beneficial?

Using the Wii VC means you have to boot into Wii mode each time.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

VideoGames posted:

u can't use the gamepad for wii vc games. so if you want to play games on tv and/or your gamepad you hav to purchase wii u vc games.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

and by using gamepad, i mean using its controls

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

VideoGames posted:

You can play using the gamepad or pro controllers as controllers instead of having to boot into wii mode and using wiimotes or classic controllers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Wii U VC gives you more controller options, lets you remap buttons, has save states, and is handier from the main menu.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Wii VC: More games and systems, but you must be in Wii mode (which runs at 480p) to run them and you cannot use the gamepad/pro controllers. A Classic controller is required for any system more advanced than the NES.

Wii U VC: Supports controller remapping, smoother graphics due to running in HD, and save states. Can be played on the gamepad alone and on any controller the Wii U supports (aside from the Gamecube adapter because Nintendo doesn't support it outside of Smash.)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hope they release Twilight Princess very soon

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yeah I don't know what the problem with the Wii U wireless is. I have a pretty baller router, and I can stream 1080p without issues to my Chromecast, but I can't get anything but a total slideshow in Smash online, no matter what I do. Totally frustrating.

I play smash on wireless, against friends who I know are playing on wireless, and I have almost no problems. Once every ten minutes or so of gaming it lags slightly for a moment, but it doesn't really add any more randombullshitness than a bomb spawning in front of your punch, so whatevs.

Smash online has been great for me, and I have the cheapest slowest internet AT&T offers where I live.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Moltrey posted:

e: It's up now!

e2: holy poo poo, the eShop theme is MK8's Big Blue and it loving owns

Huh. They tweaked the Toad House slogan from "Refresh Your Body and Soul" to "Refresh Your Body and Mind". Kinda :goonsay:-ish of me to bring up, but I'm curious to see whether they did any other script edits.

e: I'm an idiot, apparently that was literally the only Toad House in the game that says "Mind" instead of "Soul". Whoops.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 30, 2015

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

N64 games on the Wii U VC also run better (DK64 has a better framerate then on N64) and are recompiled in HD.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Trent posted:

I play smash on wireless, against friends who I know are playing on wireless, and I have almost no problems. Once every ten minutes or so of gaming it lags slightly for a moment, but it doesn't really add any more randombullshitness than a bomb spawning in front of your punch, so whatevs.

Smash online has been great for me, and I have the cheapest slowest internet AT&T offers where I live.

Hm. Maybe it's on my end then.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
thanks for all the replies guys!

i get my wiiu tomorrow and im interested in getting some of the older games i missed out on. Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 1,2and3. are they on the wiiu vc?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

VideoGames posted:

thanks for all the replies guys!

i get my wiiu tomorrow and im interested in getting some of the older games i missed out on. Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 1,2and3. are they on the wiiu vc?

Yeah.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

For anyone who was thinking about DK64, there are some gameplay elements that were definitely made with a bit of lag in mind. In particular, there's this minigame which now basically requires abuse of save states to win.

To anyone who got Paper Mario, did they up the frame rate? It definitely shouldn't be an issue with gameplay, but that game would be kind of tempting to rebuy for 60 fps...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Yes please, somene report in on Paper Mario VC before I go home and buy it tonight.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Help Im Alive posted:

The amiibo touch and play thing is kind of neat way to kill a few minutes I guess? I scanned Link and got Legend of Zelda (Dunno if that's a coinicidence or if they're actually tied to their series) It's got 8 scenes (each scene has a 3 minute time limit) and you can skip straight to the next one by scanning the amiibo again. The first scene was the beginning of the game and the other seven were boss fights.

That's the only amiibo I have though so I'll probably never use it again. It's probably cool if you have like 20 amiibos and aren't afraid of taking them out of the boxes

Yeah, it's a coincidence. They're not tied to their own series.

I've run a dozen or so of these through it and it's an all right distraction, but I don't really see myself firing it up and figuring out which amiibo starts which game to play three minutes of Excitebike.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Not a Children posted:

For anyone who was thinking about DK64, there are some gameplay elements that were definitely made with a bit of lag in mind. In particular, there's this minigame which now basically requires abuse of save states to win.

To anyone who got Paper Mario, did they up the frame rate? It definitely shouldn't be an issue with gameplay, but that game would be kind of tempting to rebuy for 60 fps...

That is the most autistic YouTuber ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Not a Children posted:

How can you tell what the framerate is?

• Locked thread